G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 running at 3600

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
14 minutes ago, BohdanM said:

I recently had to upgrade my ram to 128gb

Well there's your problem. Running 128GB of RAM at speeds above 4000MT/s is difficult, let alone 4800 or even 6000. The AMD memory controller only officially supports 3600MT/s with 4 DIMMs of memory installed, hence why you're running at 3600 with 128GB of RAM. 

16 minutes ago, BohdanM said:

The ram shows up as 4800 in bios but when I go into windows its speed is 3600MHz

I'd hazard a guess that this is user error. ASUS labels RAM frequency weirdly in their BIOS, where the first place you look (and the place that their competitors put the RAM frequency) is actually the JEDEC spec of the RAM no matter what the RAM is actually running at. Since those sticks are almost certainly 4800 JEDEC, that would make sense. 

I will mention that Task Manager is rather unreliable for reporting frequency, so I'd want to see something like CPU-Z or HWINFO instead, but since the number makes sense I'd be inclined to believe it. (I wrote that line before I noticed the HWInfo screenshots if you can't tell).

18 minutes ago, BohdanM said:

I have also noticed that the manufacturers for different kits are shown as different "Richtek Power" and "Anpec Electronics" - is this unusual? I purchased memory kits about 6 months apart but they have matching info on the store page. Could this be the cause of the issues / create more problems down the road?

This isn't uncommon, memory manufacturers will change what is present on their memory sticks depending on what they have on the floor that day, so even if the kit has the same model number, it might not be the same kit. This will likely make it more difficult to get higher speeds to work, though there was little chance of that happening in the first place since the Ryzen memory controller really hates 128GB of DDR5. 

Hello Everyone

Motherboard: ASUS ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7950x3D

I recently had to upgrade my ram to 128gb. I purchased a second kit of G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 2x32 (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N)
2 sticks that I had before were running in EXPO at 6000MHz. After installing all 4 sticks EXPO crashes after the BIOS, but even running them stock i noticed that their speed is at 3600MHz when it should be 4800MHz.
Is this an issue with the amount of ram or is it something else? The ram shows up as 4800 in bios but when I go into windows its speed is 3600MHz
image.thumb.png.ab2b7a6c3acf87ec7506d2384ec035ac.png

I have also noticed that the manufacturers for different kits are shown as different "Richtek Power" and "Anpec Electronics" - is this unusual? I purchased memory kits about 6 months apart but they have matching info on the store page. Could this be the cause of the issues / create more problems down the road?
image.png.5ac2f327413faa1f5bef7f172fd4c321.pngimage.png.b92e3d7da688ab79c8f1a1591a979c3c.pngimage.png.39d4afa91692ef11e7e93d8ea6a8e3d6.pngimage.png.a4955856904af5345db283cbee6d45c5.png

Thanks in advance to anyone who will comment.

14 minutes ago, BohdanM said:

I recently had to upgrade my ram to 128gb

Well there's your problem. Running 128GB of RAM at speeds above 4000MT/s is difficult, let alone 4800 or even 6000. The AMD memory controller only officially supports 3600MT/s with 4 DIMMs of memory installed, hence why you're running at 3600 with 128GB of RAM. 

16 minutes ago, BohdanM said:

The ram shows up as 4800 in bios but when I go into windows its speed is 3600MHz

I'd hazard a guess that this is user error. ASUS labels RAM frequency weirdly in their BIOS, where the first place you look (and the place that their competitors put the RAM frequency) is actually the JEDEC spec of the RAM no matter what the RAM is actually running at. Since those sticks are almost certainly 4800 JEDEC, that would make sense. 

I will mention that Task Manager is rather unreliable for reporting frequency, so I'd want to see something like CPU-Z or HWINFO instead, but since the number makes sense I'd be inclined to believe it. (I wrote that line before I noticed the HWInfo screenshots if you can't tell).

18 minutes ago, BohdanM said:

This isn't uncommon, memory manufacturers will change what is present on their memory sticks depending on what they have on the floor that day, so even if the kit has the same model number, it might not be the same kit. This will likely make it more difficult to get higher speeds to work, though there was little chance of that happening in the first place since the Ryzen memory controller really hates 128GB of DDR5. 

I had 2 sticks of G.skill Trident too running at 3200.

When I bought 2 more I had to drop the speed a lot (I don't remember how much).

But with 3 sticks I could also get 3200Mhz.

So try it out with 3 sticks and you may get lucky!