Unpopular Tech Opinions

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Uhhh... don't we already have a thread about this in the off-topic section?

(Not gonna report this for now as it's already been merged once; just interested in what the logic behind the new one was)

There are two? Which is older/bigger?  This one is 23 pages long apparently. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

There are two? Which is older/bigger?  This one is 23 pages long apparently. 

Off-topic one is a year newer but about twice the size of this one.

Edit: Looks like I'm OP in that one! Completely forgotten!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

RTX my ass, all graphics cards will have it in a few years so might as well wait until RTX is more readily available to buy a card.

You may mean ray tracing rather than rtx. This is likely impossible unless Nvidia becomes a true gpu monopoly.  “Rtx” is an Nvidia branded and proprietary implementation of ray tracing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

You may mean ray tracing rather than rtx. This is likely impossible unless Nvidia becomes a true gpu monopoly.  “Rtx” is an Nvidia branded and proprietary implementation of ray tracing.

Yes, ray tracing in general.

Id dont care about graphics at all, atleast to the standard we are pushing now. 1080p low everything is the best way to play games that require you to be competent.

6 minutes ago, mousesnob said:

Id dont care about graphics at all, atleast to the standard we are pushing now. 1080p low everything is the best way to play games that require you to be competent.

Depends on the type of game played.  The description of competitive PvP shooters as being the only “games that require you to be competent” I find highly entertaining.  PvP shooters don’t require competence they require fa at firing nerves.  Not the same thing.

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on the type of game played.  The description of competitive PvP shooters as being the only “games that require you to be competent” I find highly entertaining.  PvP shooters don’t require competence they require fa at firing nerves.  Not the same thing.

It dosent only apply to Fps games, i did the same for leauge and rocket league and dark souls. Visual garble gets in the way.

Being competent in a pvp game almost always requires you to be as quick as you can. Some genres more than others of course. Maxing framerate and a high refreshrate monitor is very helpful.

4 minutes ago, mousesnob said:

It dosent only apply to Fps games, i did the same for leauge and rocket league and dark souls. Visual garble gets in the way.

Being competent in a pvp game almost always requires you to be as quick as you can. Some genres more than others of course. Maxing framerate and a high refreshrate monitor is very helpful.

Heh. A “How close can I get to competitive PvP twitch without it actually being a ‘competitive PvP shooter’?” answer.

I take this as a confirmation of my point rather than a negation. 

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh. A “How close can I get to competitive PvP twitch without it actually being a ‘competitive PvP shooter’?” answer.

Well except for turn based games then yeah most of the stuff that applies to twitch shooters also apply to competitive games in different in genres. Being as fast as you can improves your competance.

I would rather use integrated graphics(amd apu) and play at low settings than support that cloud gaming nonsense or buy a console. freedom and control over prettier pixels. GeForce now is fine as a temp solution for some I guess because they are no strings attached, stadia on the other hand, is what I dislike most about tech, takes all the freedom and control away and destroys the learning aspect of diy. 

4 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

I would rather use integrated graphics(amd apu) and play at low settings than support that cloud gaming nonsense or buy a console. freedom and control over prettier pixels. GeForce now is fine as a temp solution for some I guess because they are no strings attached, stadia on the other hand, is what I dislike most about tech, takes all the freedom and control away and destroys the learning aspect of diy. 

Well the Ryzen quad cores with iGPU are good enough at 720p and up to 1080p that many Gamers that can't afford higher Spec Hardware are somewhat happy with them.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:38 AM, Drak3 said:

AMD's mobile chips are easily outclassed by Intel's.

I understand unpopular opinions but benchmarks don't lie: in ultra books AMD has simmilar single core, better efficiency and more cores but worse iGPU and no thurnderbolt usually. In gaming laptops as far as I know AMD is simply better.

I like Apple products.

I like Macs and strongly prefer MacOS as long as the software I need is available

I prefer iPhone (and in extension iOS) more than Android equipped devices

I think the iPad is a great device and is better than the Android equipped competition

Apple TV is the best media player (gen 4 and onwards)

Apple Watch is the best wearable to date

While not unpopular opinions in the general population, on tech forums I'm basically Satan or a retard or both.

2 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

I understand unpopular opinions but benchmarks don't lie: in ultra books AMD has simmilar single core, better efficiency and more cores but worse iGPU and no thurnderbolt usually. In gaming laptops as far as I know AMD is simply better.

AMD's Ryzen has a way better iGPU then Intel does.

I can't wait for the day when apple has to go back to intel cpus and amd gpus because they could not deliver good m1 devices. only one external display. only 2 thunderbolt ports. shame 

8 minutes ago, skylinetofast said:

I can't wait for the day when apple has to go back to intel cpus and amd gpus because they could not deliver good m1 devices. only one external display. only 2 thunderbolt ports. shame 

That's a limitation with the current M1 SoC.

Why would you assume this limitation is permanent?

I don't think Apple is ditching Intel completely anytime soon (particularly for the highest end workstations), but their ARM M series SoC's are only going to grow from here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, skylinetofast said:

Apple won't go back to Intel/AMD.

Even if the M1 turns out to be a flop - which it already isn't - they aren't going to give up on Apple Sillicon just yet. They will produce new M-series chips which will be better, and will remove the limitations.

I should remind you that the MacBook Air has had very few ports for quite a while now; the M1 hasn't changed that. Who needs the bandwidth of more than 2 Thunderbolt ports anyway? 

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

6 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Apple won't go back to Intel/AMD.

Even if the M1 turns out to be a flop - which it already isn't - they aren't going to give up on Apple Sillicon just yet. They will produce new M-series chips which will be better, and will remove the limitations.

I should remind you that the MacBook Air has had very few ports for quite a while now; the M1 hasn't changed that. Who needs the bandwidth of more than 2 Thunderbolt ports anyway? 

I use all 4 of my thunderbolt ports on my intel macbook pro. I use 2 4k displays 60hz, thunderbolt dock and thunderbolt sound card. can't do the same on a m1 device

20 hours ago, mousesnob said:

Well except for turn based games then yeah most of the stuff that applies to twitch shooters also apply to competitive games in different in genres. Being as fast as you can improves your competance.

As previously stated that reaction time, not That’s not competence.  

1 minute ago, skylinetofast said:

I use all 4 of my thunderbolt ports on my intel macbook pro. I use 2 4k displays 60hz, thunderbolt dock and thunderbolt sound card. can't do the same on a m1 device

Wait for Apple to release better SoC's, then.

M1 will not be the only Apple Silicon chip ever,

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Wait for Apple to release better SoC's, then.

M1 will not be the only Apple Silicon chip ever,

The only way I am making the move from intel macs to silicon is by being able to use bootcamp. I use bootcamp weekly since my first mac to the current one I have all ways used bootcamp. I know peralles runs windows arm but it's will never be as good as bootcamp. 

2 hours ago, Spindel said:

I like Apple products.

I like Macs and strongly prefer MacOS as long as the software I need is available

I prefer iPhone (and in extension iOS) more than Android equipped devices

I think the iPad is a great device and is better than the Android equipped competition

Apple TV is the best media player (gen 4 and onwards)

Apple Watch is the best wearable to date

While not unpopular opinions in the general population, on tech forums I'm basically Satan or a retard or both.

I agree with this. There are a few ramifications though:

Computers: the programs I like though are games which Apple doesn’t have so I haven’t bought an Apple computer of any kind in nearly 10 years.

Media players/TVboxes: I’m not fond of these and have never owned one

smart watches: they all still have far far to short a wearable duration to be useful to me at all so I have never worn one

10 minutes ago, skylinetofast said:

Fine, but that is not really an average use case for these devices.

5 minutes ago, skylinetofast said:

The only way I am making the move from intel macs to silicon is by being able to use bootcamp. I use bootcamp weekly since my first mac to the current one I have all ways used bootcamp. I know peralles runs windows arm but it's will never be as good as bootcamp. 

Sorry, but why the hell would you buy a Mac specifically to run Windows on it?

pythonmegapixel

36 minutes ago, skylinetofast said:

They may not need to go back to intel to fix that one.