Unpopular Tech Opinions

Unpopular opinion: iPads and tablets are either basically laptops with less features or a bigger phone with less features

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, davemc said:

Unpopular opinion: iPads and tablets are either basically laptops with less features or a bigger phone with less features

iPads are tablets, so tablets, but there was a zoolander movie that commented on this as well iirc.  At least the tablet vs phone thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:31 AM, Amias said:

Physical simulation is not a gimmick and never was.

PhysX was a gimmick. It is idea of hardware accelerated physical computation, firstly with a dedicated card (failed) and then with GPU acceleration (detrimental to game performance). The implementation of PhysX has completely failed, and will likely die out. It's only been used in barely 40 games ...

The implementation of multi-core processors, vastly more powerful GPUs with dedicated compute units ... all combined with a complete failure of the industry to push more integrated physics into their games (multiplayer been a core bottleneck for this) has led to the demise of any further requirements for dedicated physics compute units in PCs.

Now I would looove if games increased physics in their games 10 fold. LOoooove it. But PhysX is a failed technology. There are only a handful of games that support it and it's purely cosmetic.

Except people dismissed it as a gimmick like was being done with Ray Tracing initially.

PhysX is no gimmick either. It was THE big push to put physics in games.
Exactly like RTX is THE big push to put Real Time Raytracing in games.

Nvidia can be frustrating and whack.
But it's that they keep pushing tech like PhysX and RTX forward in ways that pushes gaming as a whole forward is why I generally prefer NVidia.

I'll tolerate some of their bullshit to make the future happen now.

Just leaving this here: OLED HDR with under 1000 nits peak brightness brings more impactful HDR than even high end LED's with close to 2000 nits. The deeper blacks do much more for HDR than brightness.

Another thing: OLED burn-in is not a real issue anymore. You just shouldn't keep your TV on overnight watching some news channel. Many people miss out on better TV's by going with the LED alternative because of the disproportionate fear of burn-in. (Burn in is not something that happens when you forget to turn off your TV once. It accumulates over the years if at all.)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thermaltake toughram rgb is the best looking ram

1080p is plenty

1660 ti is plenty for 1080p

3 hours ago, beasterdudeman_ said:

1080p is plenty

I must say no. I will never go back from 1440p. It really males a difference in my eyes

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

Fingerprint access to anything is massively overrated.

If we'd have been told twenty years ago that children would be accessing their school lunches by using their fingerprint (with no option to opt out) it would've seemed dystopian. It's only become something no-one blinks at because of fingerprint access to phones and the like. 

I used to work as a tech and consultant, now I've become an odd person who plays dress-up and calls themselves a theatre maker.

My Rig: Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450 Pro4 | Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB 3200Mhz | Asus TUF GeForce 1660 Super OC | Corsair Carbide 175r | XPG Core Reactor 750W
Keyboard Corsair K55 | Mouse Corsair Harpoon | Sound AKG 52 Headphones,

5 minutes ago, Quinten Verhelst said:

I still prefer Intel over AMD in 2021

The argument for AMD is price/performance. Because there is markup of AMD lately it’s quite Reasonable.  up to 2018, yes. 2021, yes.  Should have been no, but the chip shortage changes things.  2022 we’ll see intel 10, superfin, and a new design, so possibly yes again.  Might not be though.  Time will tell. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, imide said:

Noctua coolers are better than all AIOs

Depends.  There comes a point where water beats air.  The question is is it reached though? Imho currently only the very hottest chips can even reach near that point.  Wasn’t always that easy in the past.  In general cpu temps are going down while gpu temps are going up.  It’s not uncommon to see rigs where the gpu makes twice as much heat as the cpu. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends.  There comes a point where water beats air.  The question is is it reached though? Imho currently only the very hottest chips can even reach near that point.  Wasn’t always that easy in the past.  In general cpu temps are going down while gpu temps are going up.  It’s not uncommon to see rigs where the gpu makes twice as much heat as the cpu. 

Agreed. I am an Air Cooler fanboy, and sometimes water cooling is better, but most of the time I don't see the point. Personally the only time I would ever water cool would be if I was custom looping or water cooling a gpu

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, imide said:

Noctua coolers are better than all AIOs

In terms of performance, probaby. 

But for my personal rig I opted for an AIO because it just looks WAY better

IMG_0141.jpg.c36c34b89211ea2c8ad46ef92d7596e3.thumb.jpg.f059784069c4f574afea9c3e2c3a3aa2.jpg

There is no reason why ATX is the standard form everyone buys as very few people actually use all its functionality and its cheap because of the volume. MATX, and ITX are much closer to the normal users use scenario. The price would be the same as ATX if they sold the same volume with different SKUs. Its the same with Computer cases. Most cases have way more space and features than most people wont use. 

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The argument for AMD is price/performance. Because there is markup of AMD lately it’s quite Reasonable.  up to 2018, yes. 2021, yes.  Should have been no, but the chip shortage changes things.  2022 we’ll see intel 10, superfin, and a new design, so possibly yes again.  Might not be though.  Time will tell. 

Call me a fanboy but I still have more trust in my Intel chip then I could ever have with current gen Ryzen. It's probably false but the "safe" feeling is worth it for me

2 minutes ago, davemc said:

Agreed. I am an Air Cooler fanboy, and sometimes water cooling is better, but most of the time I don't see the point. Personally the only time I would ever water cool would be if I was custom looping or water cooling a gpu

There are instance specific SFF and unusual case instances (iirc there were some Alienware cases where there was only one fan hole and the only thing that could be done was a 120mm AIO with a big ol’ big ol’ fan on that one fan hole) where water’s “move the heat elsewhere THEN get rid of it” capacity can trump air.  The average user doesn’t even need big air though.  Stock cooler or lowball aftermarket air cooler is more than enough.  Personally I’m waiting for the quintuple slot gpu where they give up and just make a box with a 120mmfan at either end.

7 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

There is no reason why ATX is the standard form everyone buys as very few people actually use all its functionality and its cheap because of the volume. MATX, and ITX are much closer to the normal users use scenario. The price would be the same as ATX if they sold the same volume with different SKUs. Its the same with Computer cases. Most cases have way more space and features than most people wont use. 

Pricing wise matx is generally cheaper than full atx.  Itx often isn’t because there is difficulty finding space for parts.  Itx mobos not infrequently wind up with stuff on the back. All this Assumes (full) ATX is the standard though.  If it’s atx vs non atx, matx and itx are kinds of atx.  They all fit in atx cases.  Actual full on non atx can get quite weird.  Just look at some of the odder Dell prebuilts.  It can get bad. 

1 hour ago, Quinten Verhelst said:

In terms of performance, probaby. 

But for my personal rig I opted for an AIO because it just looks WAY better

IMG_0141.jpg.c36c34b89211ea2c8ad46ef92d7596e3.thumb.jpg.f059784069c4f574afea9c3e2c3a3aa2.jpg

not the d15

d15 is hot

hi

15 hours ago, Quinten Verhelst said:

Call me a fanboy but I still have more trust in my Intel chip then I could ever have with current gen Ryzen. It's probably false but the "safe" feeling is worth it for me

To be fair, if you've bought Intel for years, and you are happy spending more money than you would for comparably performing AMD processor in exchange for the backing of a brand you have had good experience with in the past, I don't think there's a major issue with that - it's a reasonable stance to take.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Samsung is better than Apple. Apple is overpriced. Enough said. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

2 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Apple is overpriced.

Yes, but it's not like Samsung are any better in that regard (assuming we're talking about smartphones here)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Yes, but it's not like Samsung are any better in that regard (assuming we're talking about smartphones here)

Well yes, but they also come out with features samsung did 5 years ago. They came out with face id with what, i think the iPhone 10 or something, i have a 10 year old LG/Samsung phone that has Face id. Samsung is just a better value .

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

3 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Well yes, but they also come out with features samsung did 5 years ago. They came out with face id with what, i think the iPhone 10 or something, i have a 10 year old LG/Samsung phone that has Face id. Samsung is just a better value .

Eh... I prefer my fingerprint sensor...

Face recognition systems have existed on Android for a long time, but the older ones weren't as advanced (I believe some could be fooled by a good quality photo, for example, which is not appropriate for security)

pythonmegapixel

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Eh... I prefer my fingerprint sensor...

Same. But you get what im trying to say right? 

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

5 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Same. But you get what im trying to say right? 

Yes - I accidentally pressed submit before typing the rest of my post. I get the general sentiment of what you're saying (in fact Apple were nowhere near the first to have a fingerprint sensor either!)

pythonmegapixel