Study Shows Nokia Better Than Samsung at Android Updates

jiyeon

Source: The Verge

A study done by Counterpoint Research has conveyed that out of the top 10 manufacturers, Nokia is the fastest, topping Samsung for the number 1 spot, achieving 96% of devices running Android 9 Pie.

Counterpoint Research found that 96 percent of Nokia phones sold since the release of Android Pie have either shipped with or been updated to the latest iteration of Android. Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei each have figures in the 80-plus percent range, but no other company that Counterpoint studied was even close. Lenovo and Oppo were below 50 percent, while LG, Vivo, and others were below 20 percent.

Android_Version_Share_for_Top_10_Manufacturers_Cumulative_Sales.png

Slow updates have been a perpetual problem for Android smartphones. Even flagship phones aren’t guaranteed to be running the latest version of Android out of the box, and updates to new versions tend to arrive slowly, if at all. Unlike iPhones, which tend to get support from Apple for four or more years, even the most expensive Android phones tend to have support fall off after two or three years. Google’s promise of three years of support for Pixel phones makes it a standout.

I don't think it's a very high bar to clear since a good majority of the manufacturers tend to update their arsenal of lineups pretty darn late. I remember owning a Samsung Galaxy S8 - which I have now handed down to my mother - and it took easily 8 months to get to Android 9 from when Android 9 was released to the public. If Samsung is rated at the number 2 spot for most supported devices with Android Pie running, I wonder how long the others take...

Still, as Counterpoint shows, the situation is still bad for most phone manufacturers. Looking at their portfolio has a whole, updates take even longer, with only three phone brands — Nokia, Lenovo, and Xiaomi — having half of their portfolio running the latest version of Android a year after its release, according to the study.

It's such a shame that these phone manufacturers don't support their older devices for the newer software, which prevents people who want to experience the new and improved, shiny Android version just because their choseh handset won't support it, or will, and get the update 9 months into the future.

Software updates complaints aside, praise to Nokia though, I haven't heard that name in a while in the smartphone game, so it's nice that they're still top of the class in software support, again not that it was a high bar to clear in the first place with Samsung taking eons to update their recent and supported phone models...

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

now let's see the security update stats. i feel like most manufactures only provide proper security updates for about 2 years, then if you get one it's because of some crucial vulnerability that is found. 

This is something that Apple does better.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Welcome to the status quo of the past ten years, pretty much Android's entire life. If updates over the long term are crucial, and you don't want to/can't install a cusrom ROM, Android really doesn't exist.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

now let's see the security update stats. i feel like most manufactures only provide proper security updates for about 2 years, then if you get one it's because of some crucial vulnerability that is found. 

Google used to do that pretty well with the nexus line, too bad it turned into yet another pointlessly expensive and underwhelming brand (even before it was renamed to pixel).

Sideload it is I guess, or I could just buy another two phones with the difference in price I'd have to pay for an iPhone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sideload it is I guess

i did try lineage OS on one of my devices, but it absolutely killed battery life, since it doesn't go into a sleep state, it just seems to turn the screen off.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

50 minutes ago, sowon said:

I don't think it's a very high bar to clear since a good majority of the manufacturers tend to update their arsenal of lineups pretty darn late. I remember owning a Samsung Galaxy S8 - which I have now handed down to my mother - and it took easily 8 months to get to Android 9 from when Android 9 was released to the public. If Samsung is rated at the number 2 spot for most supported devices with Android Pie running, I wonder how long the others take...

Took LG about a year to put out the nougat update for the V10 and by the time that came out it was time for Oreo and the V30 so I just bought a pixel 2 XL

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Counterpoint Research found that 96 percent of Nokia phones sold since the release of Android Pie have either shipped with or been updated to the latest iteration of Android

Because Nokia phones (technically HMD Global) uses vanilla Android for their phones and it’s part of the Android One program. https://www.android.com/one/

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

To be fair, Samsung puts out considerably more handsets than Nokia does. I'd say that 7% differential really isn't that bad.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Laughs in Nokia 8 :3

Best smartphone purchase I could have made back in the day~

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

but can I run over it still?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

You gotta hand it to Samsung though

They may be slower than many at pushing Pie, but a lot of their handsets do actually get it.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

At least Samsung aren't doing what LG is, pushing new versions of a phone with the latest OS and leaving the older model with only critical patches, a real shame imo as their phones have some pretty nice features.

Fair enough, my Nokia phone gets security updates all the time.... Just too bad it's stuck on Android 7 because while they've been testing 8.1 in beta for months, they don't seems to be in any hurry to release it proper... And even if I join the beta, you can't actually download the firmware, they "send it to you" OTA.... Which they totally never do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

i did try lineage OS on one of my devices, but it absolutely killed battery life, since it doesn't go into a sleep state, it just seems to turn the screen off.

the nexus lineage OS port is terrible!

you are better off with something like AOSPEXTENDED (https://www.aospextended.com/) as they just add crap to android and leave most of it alone unlike lineage where they modify and change parts of the OS that end up not working for most devices since it either has to be disabled, removed, or edited.

and since each variation is made by a different person, updates aren't guaranteed...

they aren't that great of an option unless the device you are using was VERY popular and still have a large user base even though it's discontinued...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Honestly I have never cared what android version I am on because I have never been able to tell the difference. I also hate getting updates on my phone and always tell it to update later. 

I'm curious to see OnePlus and Google's performance on this.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

To be fair, Samsung puts out considerably more handsets than Nokia does. I'd say that 7% differential really isn't that bad.

Samsung probably puts out the mosy handsets, their lineup is all over the place (Galaxy S, Note, J 16, J 17, J 18, M, A 1st gen, A 16, A 17, A 18, A00, Wide, C, etc...). It's no surprise they're slow at updating.

My Samsung galaxy J12016 doesn't even get any android version update..... It's still running touchwiz on android 5.1.1 and they stopped providing security update to the phone already

Upgraded to Xiaomi redmi 5 + 1 year ago and comes with android 7.1.2 miui 9, now running android 8.1 with miui 10

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

Not sure about the rest of the manufacturers but Samsung is still releasing security updates for the Galaxy S7, and that phone is over 3.5 years old at this point. Samsung is actually really good when it comes to updates. At least for their flagships.

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

It's a bit of a hit or miss situation, it depends on the specific rom and device.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Interesting, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.

Nokia has 6 different phones that are current models (as per their website). Samsung has something like 16 different current models.

So it's more work for Samsung to validate each phone for the latest updates.

Granted, Samsung is also a much more massive company with more resources to devote to these issues, so - at best, I'd call it a wash.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Interesting, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.

Nokia has 6 different phones that are current models (as per their website). Samsung has something like 16 different current models.

So it's more work for Samsung to validate each phone for the latest updates.

Granted, Samsung is also a much more massive company with more resources to devote to these issues, so - at best, I'd call it a wash.

I'd argue that Samsung really doesn't have an excuse.  It's a giant company that could easily throw resources at speeding up development and testing for Android updates.  I'm not so naive as to think it can post OS updates right away, but it shouldn't take half a year when even LG can deliver OS upgrades months earlier.

Just now, Commodus said:

I'd argue that Samsung really doesn't have an excuse.  It's a giant company that could easily throw resources at speeding up development and testing for Android updates.  I'm not so naive as to think it can post OS updates right away, but it shouldn't take half a year when even LG can deliver OS upgrades months earlier.

I agree that Samsung - and Android as a whole ecosystem, fails horribly at this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)