Study Shows Nokia Better Than Samsung at Android Updates

jiyeon
16 hours ago, sowon said:

A study done by Counterpoint Research has conveyed that out of the top 10 manufacturers, Nokia is the fastest, topping Samsung for the number 1 spot, achieving 96% of devices running Android 9 Pie

I can't say I am surprised. Almost literally everyone has been talking about how good Nokia is when it comes to updates for their phones and their hardware tends to get a lot of praise as well. I have no personal experience with Nokia's Android-phones, but my experiences with Samsung's stuff......well...*cough*

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Sony is soo bad that they don't even get their name on the chart.

It is a shame they don't sell as many phones as they should to be honest, although I'm not a massive fan of the style of the XZ2 or XZ3 and I'm not convinced by the 21:9 screen on the Xperia 1 nor its price.

My XZ1 (released around 2 years ago) has had Pie long time (actually before the guy who sits next to me at work had got Pie for his Nokia (5, i think). It landed somewhere around beginning of November last year if I remember correctly and currently has the July security patch from Sony, so it got Pie ~3 month after the official release by Google on 8th August.

While they might not support their non-flagship phones nearly as well, they aren't nearly as bad as when they joined the Android bandwagon at actually doing updates and keep particularly security patches pretty up to date for at least a couple of years.

2 hours ago, IntMD said:

It is a shame they don't sell as many phones as they should to be honest, although I'm not a massive fan of the style of the XZ2 or XZ3 and I'm not convinced by the 21:9 screen on the Xperia 1 nor its price.

My XZ1 (released around 2 years ago) has had Pie long time (actually before the guy who sits next to me at work had got Pie for his Nokia (5, i think). It landed somewhere around beginning of November last year if I remember correctly and currently has the July security patch from Sony, so it got Pie ~3 month after the official release by Google on 8th August.

While they might not support their non-flagship phones nearly as well, they aren't nearly as bad as when they joined the Android bandwagon at actually doing updates and keep particularly security patches pretty up to date for at least a couple of years.

I got their Xperia Z5 flagship phone back in 2016 and they updated from Marshmallow 6.0 to Nougat 7.1.1, and after that, no more security updates or patches. The phone had so many issues like overheating, battery drain, and battery overheating. All they did was disable 3 fast cores out of the 8 on the last couple updates, so you are left with a phone that overheat and lost performance.

So now I can't really even say I would buy another Sony phone after that. Also, I have to mention that their Xperia companion is terrible with a bug that can't be fixed.

2 hours ago, IntMD said:

Yes, but there is a reason they don't sell as many phone. They are just out of touch with reality.

I have been with sony phones starting at 2010, and there are STILL issues from that era, which are still present in current phones. Sony just doesn't like change, and some of their design decisions are also just truly puzzling, just removing features for no reasons for example. Double tap to wake? System wide themes? Gone in android 9.

I still use a sony phone, the XZ1 compact, the last of the good sony compacts.

But at the updates are very timely, but only for EXACTLY 2 years. After 2 years, no feature updates, less security updates.

Do you think your XZ1 will get Android 10? Probably not.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

To be fair, Samsung puts out considerably more handsets than Nokia does. I'd say that 7% differential really isn't that bad.

Nokia is also much smaller in the phone market.... 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

22 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I have never cared what android version I am on because I have never been able to tell the difference. I also hate getting updates on my phone and always tell it to update later. 

Same, always postpone when it's only security updates. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Have a Nokia 8.1.

Picked it up for $475 AUD, 16gb, 128gb, Dual Sim.

I can guarantee you their update speed comes from almost all their new phones being a part of the Android One program.

https://www.android.com/one/

My 8.1 shipped with Android 9.0 and is garunteed 10.0 and 11.0 minimum because of Android One.

As for security updates get at least one every month. Android One takes care of this as well I'm pretty sure.

17 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'm not so naive as to think it can post OS updates right away, but it shouldn't take half a year when even LG can deliver OS upgrades months earlier.

You might have missed that part of the report, but LG is much MUCH worse than Samsung when it comes to updates.

17 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I have no personal experience with Nokia's Android-phones, but my experiences with Samsung's stuff......well...*cough*

Nokia and Samsung are very close to each other when it comes to updates.

If Nokia is considered good then so should Samsung.

17 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I can't say I am surprised. Almost literally everyone has been talking about how good Nokia is when it comes to updates for their phones and their hardware tends to get a lot of praise as well. I have no personal experience with Nokia's Android-phones, but my experiences with Samsung's stuff......well...*cough*

I have the nokia 3, when it works it works very well, it constantly receives updates and patches.  However,  i have been having a few issues of late with network conflicts (images in MMS not working), some issues with permissions in play services (not a nokia problem though).

As far as hardware and feel goes the thing behaves like a phone worth twice it's price. As far as Android goes I have reservations.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I mean, tbh, looking at current Nokia offerings.  If I didn't have my XS Max, I'd definitely be looking at Nokia for Android offerings.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.