Contact lens vs Glasses?

Origami Cactus
Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,

Team Glasses:

Team Contacts:

First of all, thank you all for taking the time out of your day and answering to my stupid question! That is way more discussion that i was expecting, and i am truly grateful for it. All your stories and perspectives truly gave me something to think about!

But now it is time to make a decision. If you have something to add, then do it now.

I decided to go with Normal Glasses + Prescription sunglasses.

Why glasses:

One big reason, sexy Cost. I was looking for the solution for the next 2-3 years, and 1 year of contacts already eats through all my budget, the quality lenses really are expensive. And as the Team Contacts said themselves, don't use the cheap stuff.

Also i am already accustomed with glasses, and i like the fact that they provide protection.

Why not transitions:

Sorry @captain_to_fire, @Cora_Lie and @Mr.Humble, but i decided not to go for transitions.

It is just kinda annoying when you go from outside to inside, and i agree with @BuckGup, they are kinda too nerdy looking, especially if they are half transitioned. Also they don't get dark enough for my summers. 

This is just how transitions look most of the time ?‍♀️:

Spoiler

image.png.20e7aca72f683e2fedc87cfbb30d1822.png

So i decided to go with some good looking normal glasses, and maybe polarized sunglasses, aviators most likely.

And here I use my usual dish-washing soap to clean my glasses (as recommended by my optician) and quite incredible it works fine and even better than the "special tissues for cleaning glasses" sold in shops.

Life is sometimes so easy/simple when you don't want to make it more complicated than it needs to be ?

Edited by Guest

I use both these days. 

When I was a teenager I used only glasses because they were affordable only needing to buy 1 set, and they were just easy maintenance. 

When I got older and started going out to night clubs and stuff then I switched to contacts because glasses were annoying. 

Now I typically use glasses during the week when im working, especially since I work in aircon which tends to dry out my eyes with contacts.

I'll typically wear contacts for the weekend especially in summer so that I can wear any sunglasses when im out that don't have to be prescription.  

I also find contacts less annoying when im doing a heavy gaming session. The'yre generally clearer as well since I cant smudge them or get  dust/hair/etc..all over them like I do on the lenses of my glasses over time. 

My prescription is -2.25. 

I typically use the Acuvue Oasys, I find them really good for being able to just wear a pair right through the weekend. The box of 6 typically lasts me a couple of months depending. I give them a good clean and store them in solution between weekends so a pair often lasts me a good 2 weekends or more. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

18 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Biggest pain in the rear for the glasses though is rain.

18 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I actually like glasses in the rain, keeps rain from going into my eyes. 

18 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

My glasses are ten years old by this point (so whatever coatings applied have long worn away), so I wonder if some Rain-X would do just as well?

17 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I am in no way an expert on glasses, but you could try. I've heard that rain-x wears away quickly though.

You know they invented this thing called Umbrellas and hats right? ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

@TomvanWijnen

I was stating costs for regular spherical ones. If you have for Astigmatism or Multifocal, they will be more expensive as they have per user parameters and are pretty much made on order.

Acuvue lenses were known to pretty much disintegrate with usage, often way before it was replacement time. Hard to say if they improved their materials in current times. Same can and does apply to other brands where lens can degrade over time. It's just a matter of how much. Comfort is also dictated by cleaning solution. Peroxide ones seem to do the best job since they are the most aggressive and oxygen bubbles seem to rub them during disinfection process which makes them cleaner without any physical rubbing from the user. It's too bad Alcon screwed up their AOSept solution by adding Hydraglide lubricant to it, which causes foggy vision pretty much instantly. B+L's EasySept seems to be one of rare pure peroxide solutions left, but it's super hard to find which is annoying. And with peroxide solutions, you use them up faster coz the lens case is a lot bigger and you need to pour more of it in.

Which lenses and solution are you using?

18 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

(approx. €50 for 6 for my left eye and approx. €80 for 6 for my right eye

The lenses for right eye have astigmatism and those for my left eye do not. :P My left lenses are -0.75, and the right are +0.75 and -0.75*180. No, that was not a typo. I have mark'ennovy Xtensa lenses for both eyes. As for the solution, Oté Sensation (Multipurpose Solution with Hyaluronate). Composition: PHMB, Polyquaternium, Hyaluronate.

Funny thing is that the first site that explained what astigmatism is (I'm used to all words being in Dutch, and in Dutch we often use "cylinder" when describing astigmatism) was from Acuvue. :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

@TomvanWijnen

Well, Xtensa lenses are hydrogel based which means they have a Dk/t of around 30. So, there's your problem with comfort. They have silicone-hydrogel based ones, but they only have 60 Dk (not even Dk/t which also takes lens thickness into consideration). It's a lot better, but still pretty bad compared to Biofinity (which is highly regarded brand for astigmatism lenses) with Dk/t of 160...

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

@TomvanWijnen

Well, Xtensa lenses are hydrogel based which means they have a Dk/t of around 30. So, there's your problem with comfort. They have silicone-hydrogel based ones, but they only have 60 Dk (not even Dk/t which also takes lens thickness into consideration). It's a lot better, but still pretty bad compared to Biofinity (which is highly regarded brand for astigmatism lenses) with Dk/t of 160...

Hmm, interesting, thanks! I was going to go to my optician soon anyways (just 1.5 months of lenses left) so I'll ask them about this. :) Do you recommend the Coopervision Biofinity? The regular version has a Dk/t of 160, but the toric version has a Dk/t of 116, according to this site: https://www.visiondirect.nl/biofinity-toric. Other sites either said nothing at all, of 116, and one said 128. Huh? :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

2 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Hmm, interesting, thanks! I was going to go to my optician soon anyways (just 1.5 months of lenses left) so I'll ask them about this. :) Do you recommend the Coopervision Biofinity? The regular version has a Dk/t of 160, but the toric version has a Dk/t of 116, according to this site: https://www.visiondirect.nl/biofinity-toric. Other sites either said nothing at all, of 116, and one said 128. Huh? :P

Coopervision (the manufacturer) says it's Dk/t of 128 for Toric lenses. Still a very high number.

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Coopervision (the manufacturer) says it's Dk/t of 128 for Toric lenses. Still a very high number.

Do you recommend those, or others? Much better than 30 though indeed lol

52 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Do you recommend those, or others? Much better than 30 though indeed lol

I can't comment on toric lenses specifically since I'm not wearing them, but I've had great experience with Biofinity lenses. I guess with toric lenses it depends on the wearer and technology used to keep toric lens where it has to be. It's unfortunately impossible to know until you try. Ask your ophthalmologist if he can supply you with test version of Biofinity Toric so you can see if they work for you. If not possible, it's worth risking and just trying them. I did so with quite a lot lenses and now I know what works for me and what doesn't.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I can't comment on toric lenses specifically since I'm not wearing them, but I've had great experience with Biofinity lenses. I guess with toric lenses it depends on the wearer and technology used to keep toric lens where it has to be. It's unfortunately impossible to know until you try. Ask your ophthalmologist if he can supply you with test version of Biofinity Toric so you can see if they work for you. If not possible, it's worth risking and just trying them. I did so with quite a lot lenses and now I know what works for me and what doesn't.

Cool, thanks! I'll go there soon and ask for a test version - that was possible with these lenses too, so hopefully with those as well. :)

Add me to team contact lenses but not through choice. I've got a condition called Keratoconus which means the lenses in my eyes are mishaped. Basically the light hitting my lenses doesn't refract properly and it makes my vision VERY blurred.

I have to wear contact lenses as the corrective lens has to touch my faulty lens in order to correct it's shape.

The easiest way to explain it is this, imagine you have a picture that's blurry and you take a magnifying glass to the picture, all you would do is magnify the blur, right? You have to fix the blur before you can magnify it.

I have RGP lenses, they took some getting used to but these days in can wear them for 16 hours without to much fuss. Heck I've gone 24 hours with them in in the past.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@Master Disaster

I'm pretty sure contact lenses can't touch your eye lens :P Eye's lens is located under cornea. Keratoconus is a misshaped (usually as a cone) cornea which causes light to enter the eye and the lens at wrong angles, creating multiples of image you see (if you look at one light you'll see many of them around). Where in case of most lens users, contacts are in fact correcting the distortions of the lens (or the retina). Where in your case, it's correcting the shape of cornea.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

@Master Disaster

I'm pretty sure contact lenses can't touch your eye lens :P Eye's lens is located under cornea. Keratoconus is a misshaped (usually as a cone) cornea which causes light to enter the eye and the lens at wrong angles, creating multiples of image you see (if you look at one light you'll see many of them around). Where in case of most lens users, contacts are in fact correcting the distortions of the lens (or the retina). Where in your case, it's correcting the shape of cornea.

Hey, I'm not an optician ?

Also can confirm the multiple images, and halos around lights, and blurryness. It sucks.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)