Contact lens vs Glasses?

Origami Cactus
Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,

Team Glasses:

Team Contacts:

First of all, thank you all for taking the time out of your day and answering to my stupid question! That is way more discussion that i was expecting, and i am truly grateful for it. All your stories and perspectives truly gave me something to think about!

But now it is time to make a decision. If you have something to add, then do it now.

I decided to go with Normal Glasses + Prescription sunglasses.

Why glasses:

One big reason, sexy Cost. I was looking for the solution for the next 2-3 years, and 1 year of contacts already eats through all my budget, the quality lenses really are expensive. And as the Team Contacts said themselves, don't use the cheap stuff.

Also i am already accustomed with glasses, and i like the fact that they provide protection.

Why not transitions:

Sorry @captain_to_fire, @Cora_Lie and @Mr.Humble, but i decided not to go for transitions.

It is just kinda annoying when you go from outside to inside, and i agree with @BuckGup, they are kinda too nerdy looking, especially if they are half transitioned. Also they don't get dark enough for my summers. 

This is just how transitions look most of the time ?‍♀️:

Spoiler

image.png.20e7aca72f683e2fedc87cfbb30d1822.png

So i decided to go with some good looking normal glasses, and maybe polarized sunglasses, aviators most likely.

Which do you use and why?

I need to choose my instrument of vision for the next 4 years, i have worn glasses all my life, thinking of maybe switching it up?

But glasses are much more easily mountable, and they also protect the eyes, probably cheaper too.

Don't recommend LASIC, not even thinking about doing it.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Don't wear either but personally, I generally like the way glasses can look on people. Do you like the way you look with glasses?

Also, glasses are less maintenance than contact lenses... and easier to deal with as forgetting to take off your glasses is far less harmful than forgetting to take off your contact lenses.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Glasses. Less maintenance and no risk of forgetting them in your eyes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

28 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Do you like the way you look with glasses?

Don't know, worn them all the time, they are pretty much a part of me now.

The plus with contact lenses would be a much wider FOV thought, and no weight on the nose.

Glasses! Can't wear contact lenses. Tried and abandonned after 3 days.

Eyes too dry and I'm not batting my eyelids enough (working on a screen, so you tend to less batt your eyelids). Had to put artificial tears every 30mn and if I forgot it was scratchy as hell.

At least I can say I tried... *shrug*

9 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

...no risk of forgetting them in your eyes.

Well... Should I talk about all the times it happened to me (forgetting they were on my nose and looking for them everywhere ? )? ?

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

Glasses! Can't wear contact lenses. Tried and abandonned after 3 days.

Eyes too dry and I'm not batting my eyelids enough (working on a screen, so you tend to less batt your eyelids). Had to put artificial tears every 30mn and if I forgot it was scratchy as hell.

At least I can say I tried... *shrug*

Well... Should I talk about all the times it happened to me (forgetting they were on my nose and looking for them everywhere ? )? ?

Ok because everyone says glasses, to you use self-dimming glasses, or do you have separate normal glasses + sun glasses?

Normal glasses + sun glasses (with vision and polarized lenses).

No self dimming glasses for me. I don't want them as I can't stand it when they are dimming because I go in a room with the lights on, then "poof" the self-dimming does its work.

Just don't like that at all...

3 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Normal glasses + sun glasses (with vision and polarized lenses).

No self dimming glasses for me. I don't want them as I can't stand it when they are dimming because I go in a room with the lights on, then "poof" the self-dimming does its work.

Just don't like that at all...

Yeah, i have the same problem, going from outside to indoors, they take quite a bit of time to adjust. they also don't get dark enough for my taste.

I have went from self dimming --> Normal ---> Self dimming, over the span of 8 years and now i am planning to go Normal+ Polarized sun glasses.

I have seen some cool Glasses with pop-on solar filters, but these are probably too expensive, also more fragile if you think about it.

glasses are sexy imo so def glasses

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

did you know our corneas have no blood vessels, and the only way it gets oxygen is through diffusion via ambient air and tears?

yeah that one made me infinitely sure i shouldn't be trusted with contacts. maybe on specific super short term uses, but not on a daily basis

Modern contacts are fine thought, they let air through and everything, so i wouldn't worry about that.

I personally wear glasses because it's a single up front cost, rather than constantly paying for contacts.

Plus, if you wear contacts, you have to have a pair of glasses anyway if something were to happen to the contacts

I was told not to bother getting the Transitions lenses, because they don't work through glass, so would be useless in a car which is where you're most likely to benefit from them

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Glasses for me. Would rather have to pay more for a single set that lasts a year (even though insurance soaks a lot of that up), and there is no way in hell you're getting me to put something into my eyehole like that. Nuh uh, no way.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

There! No more sikrits!!!  ?

Spoiler

glasses.jpg.b7bfd961d16007f6f11c82a77968995a.jpg

So... lenses with almost all filters available on the market (including blue light), except the sunglasses as they are polarized.

I use glasses, been using them for 13 years now. I tried contact lenses couple of times but getting them in and out is absolutely pain in the ass and when I didnt my eyes gets fried in front of a computer all day. I just glasses with UV coating, works wonders didnt even need sunglasses since I started using glasses.

If your eyesight is same as before try lenses out, if that doesnt work go back to glasses.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

There! No more sikrits!!!  ?

Reveal hidden contents

glasses.jpg.b7bfd961d16007f6f11c82a77968995a.jpg

So... lenses with almost all filters available on the market (including blue light), except the sunglasses as they are polarized.

nice!

30 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Eyeglasses all the way, especially with transitions. ?↔️?

Works fine for you?

Do you sometimes wish that you had separate Sunglasses and normal glasses, or does the benefit of having sunglasses readily available weigh over the negatives of it being annoying sometimes, and not getting dark enough sometimes?

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Works fine for you?

Do you sometimes wish that you had separate Sunglasses and normal glasses, or does the benefit of having sunglasses readily available weigh over the negatives of it being annoying sometimes, and not getting dark enough sometimes?

I live in a country where it’s always sunny so I gotta say $80 for my glasses with transitions is one of the best things I’ve ever bought. You can still wear sunglasses but for me with prescription glasses, I’d rather wear my glasses that darkens rather than wearing sunglasses. 

Spoiler

Not paid by anyone to recommend this but it’s just my positive personal experience with the said product 

F936D5BD-E4B6-42D9-9671-9348487DDCA0.thumb.jpeg.3731e0dee43973d29a8f56921e98af93.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I live in a country where it’s always sunny so I gotta say $80 for my glasses with transitions is one of the best things I’ve ever bought. You can still wear sunglasses but for me with prescription glasses, I’d rather wear my glasses that darkens rather than wearing sunglasses. 

Reveal hidden contents

Not paid by anyone to recommend this but it’s just my positive personal experience with the said product 

Yeah that has been my last 2 setups, self-dimming lenses on my prescription glasses.

But i am just thinking of maybe getting prescription sunglasses? Then i could also get a polarizing filter etc.

But the self dimming works fine, but if you go from direct sunlight into a cave, then the glasses take about 5min to dim down to normal, so you can't see for that amount of time, making me take off the glasses sometimes.

But generally it has been very positive, so i'll probably go with them this time around too, having to carry around a second pair of glasses would be annoying.

7 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

...so i'll probably go with them this time around too, having to carry around a second pair of glasses would be annoying.

As long as it works for you, that's all that really counts ^o^

I use both.

I spend my insurance towards the glasses as they cost more, and I pay out of pocket for the contacts

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I'm wearing Glasses for over 6 years now and never had a Problem, so def Glasses. They're way cheaper and you look sexy in them, imo.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I personally hardly use either glasses nor contact lens.

I have about -1 and -0.75 vision (well, probably worse now, last time I had my sight checked was like 8 years ago...) and I got so used to that so I do not even care (though putting them on in everyday life feels like going from 360p to full HD video, everything is so much more sharp that it actually gives me a headache in like 15 minutes).

I did not even have to use glasses when I still had my car, I had no problems seeing anything day or night. Only thing I do have problem with is reading text at "long" distance but as I said, I am so used to that, that I do not care.

However in work (I am working with forklifts (not sure if that is the right word, I actually google translated that word)) if I know I have to put up or down something higher than around 3 meters, I do put on the glasses just for extra safety, even though I am perfectly capable of doing so even without them. I tried contact lens like once, but I have idk how to properly call it... I guess sort of a phobia or smth and I absolutely hate touching my eyeballs, I cannot even properly apply any eye drops without it almost "killing me", same thing with opening my eyes under water, does not matter if it is a fresh, chlorinated or salt water, just nope, so glasses all the way for me.

And while I said and truly meant what I just wrote, I would really enjoy having perfect eyesight again and go through laser operation of my eyes, but I am so much afraid of doing so (both because of my sort of phobia and because I know it CAN go wrong) that I would have to get near blind to truly consider going that route.

And for the last part, while I do not really care how I personally look in glasses, I find them extremely sexy, so glasses all the way!

Edited by Ergroilnin
Adding stuff I forgot to write the first time