Re-calibrating... - Europe's Galileo GPS system is down

rcmaehl

Source:
BBC
ZDNet

Summary:
Europe's Galileo GPS system has been down since Friday due to a "technical incident"

Quotes/Excerpts:

Europe's satellite-navigation system, Galileo, has suffered a major outage. The network has been offline since Friday due to what has been described as a "technical incident related to its ground infrastructure". All receivers, such as the latest smartphone models, will not be picking up any useable timing or positional information. These devices will be relying instead on...the American Global Positioning System (GPS). Cell phones and other devices might also be making connections with the Russian (Glonass) and Chinese (Beidou) networks. The European GNSS Agency (GSA) issued a notification on Thursday warning users that Galileo's signals might become unreliable. An update was then sent out at 01:50 Central European Time on Friday to say that the service was out of use until further notice. "Experts are working to restore the situation as soon as possible. An Anomaly Review Board has been immediately set up to analyse the exact root cause and to implement recovery actions." The function on Galileo satellites that picks up distress beacon messages for search and rescue is said to be unaffected by the outage. There are currently 22 operational satellites in orbit (another two are in space but in testing), with a further 12 under construction with industry. In addition to the spacecraft, Galileo relies on a complex ground infrastructure to control the network and monitor its performance. The European Commission promotes Galileo as more than just a back-up service; it is touted also as being more accurate and more robust. An outage across the entire network is therefore a matter of significant concern and no little embarrassment.

My Thoughts:
OOF. Definitely not a good start for the Galileo system. Thankfully multiple GPS systems exist and most phones can contact at least 2, with some international phones connecting to all four. Regardless, I hope they're able to get this fixed without any major spending.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Galileo: There's no such thing back in my days, shouldn't have put my name on it (in Italian of course)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Is this even noticeable to end users of consumer devices? My iPhone runs on GPS, Glonass and Galileo. In the end, it'll pick location from some system.

It is a waste of resources anyway because it doesn´t even beat GPS accuracy. Who even uses it?

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Galileo: There's no such thing back in my days, shouldn't have put my name on it (in Italian of course)

image.png.1a05b7513b017b03256e1326cb25d788.png

Spoiler

For funsies

image.png.959df4f408d5440777c961e8235b8cc0.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

46 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

It is a waste of resources anyway because it doesn´t even beat GPS accuracy. Who even uses it?

???

It is supposed to be better(have better accuracy) than Navstar and Glonass ( they are all part of public GPS system ).

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

1 hour ago, KnoT said:

???

It is supposed to be better(have better accuracy) than Navstar and Glonass ( they are all part of public GPS system ).

After a certain point there is little utility in it being more accurate. I guess you just want to be tracked that much more precisely by third parties. 

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

It's not useless. Emergency services across EU use Galileo for location detection along with use of cell towers (E112 system). Which is the part they are saying is not being affected.

Waste of resources or not, it provides extra redundancy. Chances of GPS, Galileo and GLONASS all dropping down is extremely unlikely. Most modern devices support all 3 systems along with Chinese one that I forgot the name...

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Reveal hidden contents

For funsies

let's clean it up a little bit:

Ai miei tempi non esisteva nulla simile, non avrebbero dovuto dargli il mio nome.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

OOF. Definitely not a good start for the Galileo system.

Well it's been online since 2016 and this is from what I know the first incident, albeit a big one. I wouldn't call that a "bad start". But remember, Galileo is not planned to be fully operational until 2020.

5 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

The main reason for it even existing is so that the EU has a navigation system independent of the US.

You might not have noticed it, but the US government is not exactly very reliable. Just look at Huawei for an example of how bad it is to be reliant on the US.

And for the accuracy claim, Galileo has (or will have) better accuracy than GPS, not worse. The clocks on Galileo satellites are more precise than those on most GPS satellites, which shouldn't come as a surprise since it's like a 20 year difference between them.

For the unencrypted, free to use signal Galileo's accuracy is 1 meter. GPS is 3 meters.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

GPS is 3 meters.

Where are you finding that? That's what the specification is, but actual performance seems to be <1 meter in most places that I'm looking (for decent receivers of course).

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

8 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Where are you finding that? That's what the specification is, but actual performance seems to be <1 meter in most places that I'm looking (for decent receivers of course).

Multiple places I have seen in Norwegian says that GPS is 3-5m, but Galileo will be 1-3m.

If recoving device supports it, Galileo and GPS can work together to get better accuracy, matter the most if you are a place with worse than average accuracy on one of them. For example in a place with mountains all around you, or you are fishing very far north on planet earth or whatever.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

44 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Multiple places I have seen in Norwegian says that GPS is 3-5m, but Galileo will be 1-3m.

Well that was the spec until recently in 2018 when gps receivers using the L5 band were released, bringing accuracy down to just under one foot.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/design/superaccurate-gps-chips-coming-to-smartphones-in-2018

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/25/16362296/gps-accuracy-improving-one-foot-broadcom

And gps.gov says that average 95% accuracy in 2016 was < 1m

https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/#commitment

Compare that to the unencrypted galileo performance of 1m, and it looks like GPS is 1.4-3x as accurate

(for some reason, I'm having trouble finding a proper source for the 1m figure, as the official documentation seems to say 4m. However, given how widespread the 1m figure is, lets just go with that; maybe the documentation is out of date. https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/Galileo_Open_Service_(OS)#Performance_and_features)

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

That accuracy is cool and all, but in a city with not so many skyscrapers I can tell my OP6 is nowhere near 1m accuracy, what's more, the better it works, the better my 'trainings' look. So, more satellites mean more stable signal, because apart from optimal conditions, satellite navigation is not perfect yet.

2 hours ago, sazrocks said:

What receivers are you talking about specifically?

Are you sure it's not using a combination of other positioning techniques too? For example your phone uses GNSS, but also things like WiFi and Bluetooth triangulation.

I was actually being generous when I said 3 meters, because the average for smartphones is around 5 meters.

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

Well that was the spec until recently in 2018 when gps receivers using the L5 band were released, bringing accuracy down to just under one foot. 

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/design/superaccurate-gps-chips-coming-to-smartphones-in-2018

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/25/16362296/gps-accuracy-improving-one-foot-broadcom

If you think Galileo is barely used, wait until you find out how few devices actually supports GPS L5.

It's very few.

You might want to read that again.

Specifically about how URE is NOT user accuracy, and also the section where it says:

GPS-enabled smartphones are typically accurate to within a 4.9 m (16 ft.) radius under open sky (view source at ION.org). However, their accuracy worsens near buildings, bridges, and trees.

That is to say, the typical accuracy of GPS in a smartphone is around 5 meters. Not <1 meter.

The URE which was <1 meter is calculated distance between an individual satellite and the GPS device. As you might know, you need information from at least 3 satellites to get your location. That means each reading from each of the three satellites is less than 1 meter off, but combined when trying to calculate your position in 3d space becomes around 5 meters off.

Compare that to the unencrypted galileo performance of 1m, and it looks like GPS is 1.4-3x as accurate 

You can't compare user range error to user accuracy.

There are really four relevant signals we have to look at when comparing accuracy.

Galileo unencrypted - Accuracy of 1 meter. Broadcasted by 22 satellites (currently).

Galileo encrypted - Accuracy of 1 centimeter. Broadcasted by 22 satellites (currently).

GPS L1 - Accuracy of 3-5 meter. Broadcasted by 31 satellites (currently).

GPS L5 - Accuracy of 30 centimeters. Broadcasted by 12 satellites (currently).

As you can probably tell, Galileo is more advanced. Once GPS L5 becomes widely available with good coverage, it will be fair to say that it is superior to the free version of Galileo, but Galileo's satellites are still more advanced and at the highest accuracy (encrypted) it's still superior.

Basically, GPS will in the future have a better free version than Galileo, but Galileo will have the best absolute performance (for a price).

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

*snip*

Also, don't know if it's yet, but Galileo is supposed to be/become spoof proof. Sure, you can jam it, but not spoofed because an auth method. GPS does not have that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Galileo:

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

14 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Reveal hidden contents

For funsies

Oh god that translation doesn't look correct at all

*reads hidden contents*

Yes.

19 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:
BBC
ZDNet

Summary:
Europe's Galileo GPS system has been down since Friday due to a "technical incident"

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:
OOF. Definitely not a good start for the Galileo system. Thankfully multiple GPS systems exist and most phones can contact at least 2, with some international phones connecting to all four. Regardless, I hope they're able to get this fixed without any major spending.

Probably 5g tests ..... (this is sarcasm)

8 hours ago, ianspy1 said:

Probably 5g tests ..... (this is sarcasm)

You might be right there, Some GPS bands do overlap with 5G bands such as 3.5Ghz

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Damn how am i going now measure how many yards i am in the woods on the golf course?

To be serious didn't effect my Golf GPS last few days, i am sure we will be fine ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

On 7/15/2019 at 2:26 PM, sazrocks said:

(for some reason, I'm having trouble finding a proper source for the 1m figure, as the official documentation seems to say 4m. However, given how widespread the 1m figure is, lets just go with that; maybe the documentation is out of date. https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/Galileo_Open_Service_(OS)#Performance_and_features)

Related addition:

As you can see above, the phones on top - OnePlus 7 ProP30 ProOppo Reno 10x Zoom, and Honor 20 Pro, have dual-frequency enabled, while the ones below - Galaxy S10+, LG G8, and the Pixel 3, do not.

Currently it looks like no iPhone supports it due to release timing of the gps chipset vs. phone release dates.  Probably the iPhone 11.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)