Navi/Ryzen 3000 launch Megathread

LukeSavenije
3 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

This is really feeling like a bullshit Paper Launch. Cannot get a 3900x off Amazon 2 days later. How many did they even get to Amazon? Doesn't show up in search, have to find a product link, and that just says unavailable, not even back-ordered. They got the motherboards, but no CPU. WTF AMD.

Here I am trying to toss my money at them, and the product is nowhere to be found.

I was checking at various times all morning of 7/8 including right when review embargo lifted, adn both newegg adn amazon were 'unavailable' / 'not in stock'.  I actually live about 30 min away from a microcenter, I even showed up at about 11am and there were still plenty in stock(but none available online).  just out of curiousity I checked back later that afternoon and 'sold out'  for my local store

with that said, if you live here in the states, have you checked b&hphoto?  they have a preorder page stating availability on 7/12

Rock On!

5 minutes ago, Jurunce said:

I've watched some of the reviews about the Ryzen 3000 CPUs. I definitely plan on upgrading my PC to the Ryzen 3000 series some time in September/October when the Ryzen 9 3950X comes out. Glad I waited for as long as I did!

The motherboards on the other hand... they are now really, really expensive. I originally wanted to get the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, but that is a USD $699 motherboard, when the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) is only USDD $379, and both are functionally identical. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why these high-end boards are as expensive as they are. The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme (literally the most extreme board on the market right now), and the MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE sit in the USD $699 range as well. Worst offender in my opinion is definitely the ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, since that's only one tier above the Hero. Its Intel equivalent is only USD $450. If Asus wanted to justify the USD $699 premium for an AMD X570 motherboard, they should have released the ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme instead.

I get that these motherboards are not cheap at all due to the much better build quality, much better VRM layout and components, and full PCIe 4.0 support, but some of these boards (especially the Asus ones) are just ridiculously expensive for only one tier up in the product stack when that one board below it is almost 100% less.

Yeah..I'm currently torn between the Formula and the MSI creation for my 3950x build. I really like the looks of the Formula, but even here in the UK it's £600 (I have no idea how it's so uh..'cheap' in comparison to the US but there we go). Whereas you get pretty much everything with the creation bar the looks at £450.

The worst thing about the Formula is...it doesn't even have 10g ethernet, it's only 5g. I mean, paying an extra $200 for a tiny oled screen is a disgrace quite honestly.

The only board for me that deserves these high price tags is the Xtreme, simply because of how unique it is and the fact that it gives you EVERYTHING. There is no compromises on that board. Even on the Godlike you've got the chipset fan, and the number of USB on the board is pretty poor for a £700 board. 5 USB 3 ports and 1 USB-C. Not good enough at all.

The MSI creation seems to be the sweetspot for the high-end boards for me. It has everything you ever wanted including 10g ethernet, USB to last a lifetime, WIFI 6 etc. The only downside to it is the fan, but at least MSI are guaranteeing ball bearings for longer lifespan and a solid fan software, and also a heatpipe linked to the chipset too. I wasn't entirely sure at the rumored £500, but at £450 it's winning me over.

2 hours ago, porina said:

Which country?

Belgium.  Perhaps I should have clarified that. 

I assumed it was obvious because I quoted someone who specifically mentioned Belgium.  My bad. 

4 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Yeah..I'm currently torn between the Formula and the MSI creation for my 3950x build. I really like the looks of the Formula, but even here in the UK it's £600 (I have no idea how it's so uh..'cheap' in comparison to the US but there we go). Whereas you get pretty much everything with the creation bar the looks at £450.

The worst thing about the Formula is...it doesn't even have 10g ethernet, it's only 5g. I mean, paying an extra $200 for a tiny oled screen is a disgrace quite honestly.

The only board for me that deserves these high price tags is the Xtreme, simply because of how unique it is and the fact that it gives you EVERYTHING. There is no compromises on that board. Even on the Godlike you've got the chipset fan, and the number of USB on the board is pretty poor for a £700 board. 5 USB 3 ports and 1 USB-C. Not good enough at all. 

The MSI creation seems to be the sweetspot for the high-end boards for me. It has everything you ever wanted including 10g ethernet, USB to last a lifetime, WIFI 6 etc. The only downside to it is the fan, but at least MSI are guaranteeing ball bearings for longer lifespan and a solid fan software, and also a heatpipe linked to the chipset too. I wasn't entirely sure at the rumored £500, but at £450 it's winning me over. 

I'm going to be going for the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi), since it's functionally identical to the Formula version. Although it may not have 5G or 10G Ethernet (features I don't need, I use Wi-Fi here at home, and even then, I can't use the Wi-Fi 6 features), paying almost double for an OLED screen, a VRM waterblock, and more fancy lighting is a no-no in my books. The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme is the only board so far that can justify its premium. Its VRM is way over-spec, has a real VRM heatsink, and it has 10G Ethernet (if you can use it).

I don't plan on spending USD $700 on a motherboard this time around. I spent USD $600 on my Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10, and that has been an absolutely fantastic motherboard. Perhaps the best motherboard I have ever used and played with. When I built my computer back in July 2017, X99 was the only platform which offered a high-core count, which is what I need for 3D animation and modeling, since I render on that computer as well, and I don't exactly have the budget for a dedicated rendering station to offload to. X570 this time around, from what I can gather from reviews, it is the best all-around solution now, and I'm looking forward to building my X570+R9 3950X computer in either September or October, whichever timeline works best.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

5 minutes ago, Jurunce said:

I'm going to be going for the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi), since it's functionally identical to the Formula version. Although it may not have 5G or 10G Ethernet (features I don't need, I use Wi-Fi here at home, and even then, I can't use the Wi-Fi 6 features), paying almost double for an OLED screen, a VRM waterblock, and more fancy lighting is a no-no in my books. The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme is the only board so far that can justify its premium. Its VRM is way over-spec, has a real VRM heatsink, and it has 10G Ethernet (if you can use it).

I don't plan on spending USD $700 on a motherboard this time around. I spent USD $600 on my Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10, and that has been an absolutely fantastic motherboard. Perhaps the best motherboard I have ever used and played with. When I built my computer back in July 2017, X99 was the only platform which offered a high-core count, which is what I need for 3D animation and modeling, since I render on that computer as well, and I don't exactly have the budget for a dedicated rendering station to offload to. X570 this time around, from what I can gather from reviews, it is the best all-around solution now, and I'm looking forward to building my X570+R9 3950X computer in either September or October, whichever timeline works best.

The Hero is quite tempting for me too, as it seems to be the only board playing the 'chief support' role that actually has some USB ports on it. The rest of it's rivals are lacking heavy in that area. I'd have bought the MEG ACE at £360 if it had just 2 or 3 more USB3 ports on the back because the price of that thing is so attractive. It seems like the manufacturers have gone overkill on the VRM's but neglected everything else in the process.

So, I'm awful about MOBOs and I read the whole thread but I didn't understand anything about MOBOs, so, here's my question: For someone who (at least in a short time place) don't plan to OC the 3700x, maybe in the future if needed, are better the X470 or the X570?

And, how can I know if a MOBO is better than other? I saw this spreadsheet but I don't know whats going on there: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

5 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Wait, but why would that affect LN2 and traditional cooling differently?

because how leaky a gpu is relates to where in its range the transistors are operating, a leaky transistor is a transistor that is more saturated, you always want the transistors to be less leaky (uses less power that way), But that property changes with temperature so a leaky transistor at room temperature becomes less leaky at sub zero, problem is that there is such a thing as not leaky enough which is when the transistor almost doesn't even work anymore (not fast enough so it doesn't turn on), so a gpu that has good properties at sub zero at room temperature would be more leaky than the optimal gpu for air cooling.

51 minutes ago, Donki Knog said:

So, I'm awful about MOBOs and I read the whole thread but I didn't understand anything about MOBOs, so, here's my question: For someone who (at least in a short time place) don't plan to OC the 3700x, maybe in the future if needed, are better the X470 or the X570?

And, how can I know if a MOBO is better than other? I saw this spreadsheet but I don't know whats going on there: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

even with oc good x470 should do just fine, the main difference would be half the bandwidth to the chipset, x570 seems to be able to clock memory a bit better but not much better either, check oc3d's review to learn more

1 hour ago, Donki Knog said:

if you are interested in x470 or b450, awhile back GN released a failry comprehensive video featuring buildzod, about Mobo's they think are the best at various pricepoints, and also give an overview of each.  kinda long, but good info.

Rock On!

2 hours ago, BroliviaWilde said:

I was checking at various times all morning of 7/8 including right when review embargo lifted, adn both newegg adn amazon were 'unavailable' / 'not in stock'.  I actually live about 30 min away from a microcenter, I even showed up at about 11am and there were still plenty in stock(but none available online).  just out of curiousity I checked back later that afternoon and 'sold out'  for my local store

with that said, if you live here in the states, have you checked b&hphoto?  they have a preorder page stating availability on 7/12

Yeah I did see that, but as you say it is pre-order for a product already released. So maybe the "real" launch is on the 12th. Hopefully that means Amazon will get it on the 12th too, I'm waiting for Amazon so I can get the 5% cash back on my Amazon Visa. Helps offset the CA taxes. 

Here in Norway,

3200G - Available

3400G - Available

3600 - Unavailable, in stock the 17th

3600x - Was available, sold out, in stock 18th

3700x - was available, sold out, in stock 18th

3800x - Unavailable, in stock 15th

3900x - Unavailable, in stock 20th

All dates July

Not sure how this matches up with other parts of the world. But i was checking reviews and listings as it became available, and it was not available on launch day. Seems it's not a true world wide launch the 7th for all the products. It will stock the 20th, but won't ship out until Monday 22nd so i will get mine the 23rd.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

2 minutes ago, BroliviaWilde said:

or... maybe wait for Intel's new 10000 series chips rumored to be out in Sep/Oct?   top sku looks to have a single core boost of 5.2, but damn that 10 core heat output is going to be a big OOFFF.  I suspect if the prices are true, Zen 2 will see a nice price cut.   

enjoy the rumor!

i mean 105W TDP doesn't seem all that bad... ?

46 minutes ago, BroliviaWilde said:

or... maybe wait for Intel's new 10000 series chips rumored to be out in Sep/Oct?   top sku looks to have a single core boost of 5.2, but damn that 10 core heat output is going to be a big OOFFF.  I suspect if the prices are true, Zen 2 will see a nice price cut.   

enjoy the rumor!

It's wccftech, so take it with a mountain of salt, the 10x00 SKU's seems odd IMO but some competition and lower prices from Intel would be nice.

I was hoping for some good stuff until i read "new socket"... what a sad and bad story. Guess they will not learn the lesson AMD just forced down their throat. Still waiting for the price drop on the 9900k, not sure why it hasnt happened yet.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

1 hour ago, BroliviaWilde said:

enjoy the rumor!

So right after the 3950X? That's gonna work out real well for Intel I'm sure.

28 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It's wccftech, so take it with a mountain of salt, the 10x00 SKU's seems odd IMO but some competition and lower prices from Intel would be nice.

Yeah, you'd think they'd save 10x00 for 10nm ?

Stock around the Melbourne stores is a bit hap hazard.    Some only have 3700/3800 whole others only have the X and some are waiting on orders to be filled.

MSY don't even have listings for half of them stock or not.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Based on reviews.... All of the 3rd gen ryzen cpu's are an upgrade to my 7700k even for gaming.... Question is what do I buy xD

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

14 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Based on reviews.... All of the 3rd gen ryzen cpu's are an upgrade to my 7700k even for gaming.... Question is what do I buy xD

Unless you're doing productivity work, wait until your 1080-ti has something worth upgrading to (that doesn't cost almost $2000).

1 minute ago, thorhammerz said:

Unless you're doing productivity work, wait until your 1080-ti has something worth upgrading to (that doesn't cost almost $2000).

I'm only getting a new system cause my friend can't afford to buy a new one so I'm selling him this with my 1080 and another kit of ram on the cheap

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

Yeah, you'd think they'd save 10x00 for 10nm ?

I've seen forum threads from bloody June of last year wondering where 10nm was at. Unless their 7nm is some really major breakthrough, I'd have to wonder if they'd come out ahead in swallowing their pride, and going with TSMC 5nm?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Jay: "I don't know if we're going to ever see 5Ghz on zen 2"

Adoredtv: "? I have insider leaks ? ..   insiders ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Jay: "I don't know if we're going to ever see 5Ghz on zen 2"

Adoredtv: "? I have insider leaks ? ..   insiders ?

Well considering I've heard at least 5 different reviewers and XOC/reviewer say 5GHz is not happening (and it's hard on LN2) so it's not happening, probably.