SpaceX's 60's designer rocket falls over in wind

mr moose

So that tin foil looking rocket that could have easily been out of a 1960's space magazine for kids apparently fell over in the wind.

It kinda makes me wonder what they were thinking when they designed it and what they hope the general public will think, but according to the verge spaceships were meant to fly not fall.

A prototype of SpaceX’s next big rocket fell over and sustained damage in south Texas, thanks to high winds in the area. Images from SpaceX’s facility in Boca Chica, Texas show part of the vehicle sideways on the ground and slightly crumpled.

Dxmk6gvWsAImAxn.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/23/18194398/spacex-starship-prototype-wind-damage-boca-chica-texas

I know next to bugger all about space ships, but it does concern me that if it can fall over in wind then how stable/accurate is it with enough thrust under it to put it in orbit?

Anyway, I look forward to the commentary.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 1/11/2019 at 2:24 PM, sazrocks said:

This is not Starship. This is the starship version of Grasshopper (many call it "starhopper"). This will not fly higher than a few km and is certainly not spaceworthy.

The design has plenty of time to change (we already know that starhopper is shorter than Starship will be). For reference, this is the grasshopper prototype vs a finished falcon 9:

Reveal hidden contents

Falcon-9_Reuse_RK2016_800x800.png.795b8f3ba4c8f63024e5b6e79df79f79.png

Starship is also only the second stage of the rocket; Super Heavy is the booster and is much taller than even the finished Starship, making the final rocket taller than the Saturn V.

From what I've heard it was also only the top half that fell; its possible not all of the connections between each half was in place yet.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Is it just me or does the one laying on the ground look NOTHING like the one in the pictures of it? way too thin, white not silver.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

15 minutes ago, mr moose said:

spaceships were meant to fly not fall.

That doesn't sound right to me, I think we need to call a rocket scientist to confirm.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

F

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

13 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

Is it just me or does the one laying on the ground look NOTHING like the one in the pictures of it? way too thin, white not silver.

That's the reflection off of the aluminum or possible a tarp over it.

It falling over in the wind doesn't really relate to how stable it would be while launching. Hell, if you look at the Saturn 5, It'd fall over with mild wind if it wasn't anchored to the tower(s).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

32 minutes ago, mr moose said:

it does concern me that if it can fall over in wind then how stable/accurate is it with enough thrust under it to put it in orbit

yeah if a house blows away in a hurricane surely it can't be used as a house then

35 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I know next to bugger all about space ships, but it does concern me that if it can fall over in wind then how stable/accurate is it with enough thrust under it to put it in orbit?

To my knowledge, that rocket was just for testing the new engines. So they kinda just threw together some form of space craft. So in otherwords, that rocket is not at all final design, nor was it even considered for it.

22 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

That's the reflection off of the aluminum or possible a tarp over it.

It falling over in the wind doesn't really relate to how stable it would be while launching. Hell, if you look at the Saturn 5, It'd fall over with mild wind if it wasn't anchored to the tower(s).

then why didn't hey anchor it? it's like leaving your washing on the line, nah it won't rain today she'll be right...

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

yeah if a house blows away in a hurricane surely it can't be used as a house then

I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a house that is being blown away by a hurricane either.  Although I think your on to something,  SpaceX could save themselves a lot of fuel money if they use this wind power instead of rockets.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a house that is being blown away by a hurricane either.  Although I think your on to something,  SpaceX could save themselves a lot of fuel money if they use this wind power instead of rockets.

yeah , why have glass windows if i can break them with a rock

Just now, emosun said:

yeah , why have glass windows if i can break them with a rock

I think you might be being a little too serious about this.

It's a pretty stereotypical cartoon rocket that fell over. 

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think you might be being a little too serious about this.

It's a pretty stereotypical cartoon rocket that fell over. 

Elon is going to have to absorb some Marvin the Martian jokes for a bit.

I mean judging by how windy it was here today in the neighboring state due to a cold front moving through, i'd say it's logical that this would of happened... why'd they bring that thing outside during this weather?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

I mean judging by how windy it was here today in the neighboring state due to a cold front moving through, i'd say it's logical that this would of happened... why'd they bring that thing outside during this weather?

Depends on the stage of fabrication it was at. A rare high-wind event will take down construction projects, if they hadn't loaded anything more than the scaffolding within it, it was really light relative to the surface area it presented.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

So that tin foil looking rocket that could have easily been out of a 1960's space magazine for kids apparently fell over in the wind.

This thing was likely a hopper, not ment for space.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

This thing was likely a hopper, not ment for space.

They did the same thing with the Falcon 9, I do believe it is a hopper meant for low altitudes and to practice landings. I just can't wait to see it when it's going to space.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

Like Charlie Brown losing his kite.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Well it wasn't aimed for space anyway, just hopping around. 

It was likely unloaded which would make it pretty mush just a big sail in the wind, its just empty sections of sheet metal with a bit of structural reinforcement

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Probably for the best.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

then why didn't hey anchor it? it's like leaving your washing on the line, nah it won't rain today she'll be right...

they did, the lines broke off at 50 or 60 MPH gusts. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

JESUS CHRIST! If there was ever a need for a "headphone users beware" warning this was the time to use it! My ears are freaking BLEEDING!

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

3 minutes ago, ATFink said:

JESUS CHRIST! If there was ever a need for a "headphone users beware" warning this was the time to use it! My ears are freaking BLEEDING!

Use antibiotics, your ears may be infected

✨FNIGE✨