iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

Streetguru
4 minutes ago, Beyonslay said:

can someone explain to me the purpose of this "bending" thing, please? I still have not understood ..

It makes the device more portable, easier to fit into a bag

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Heh, so how else are they supposed to know which one was genuinely bent accidently and purposefully?

Yes, of the millions of iPads sold, there will definitely be at least thousands of people who would take advantage of the system. It's will definitely not be insignificant like 1 or 2 or 10

They allow a 14-day return period. A recall program of theirs usually last from anywhere between 1-3 years. God please think before you start spouting out stuff

Wtf? Fine RMA it. Goodness. Stop fucking over reacting. If you don't have an Apple store close to use, return it, let them inspect it and I can guarantee it won't take more than 2 weeks to receive a new product. And honestly that would be a no brainer for anyone who cracked the screen and wanted to take advantage of the system

Anyway, my point is. If your iPad came bent out of the box, just return it within 14 days and get a new one.

You realize someone would have to bend it slightly without breaking the screen or anything for them to be able to return it with this recall and not the 14 day return policy? The fact that you think people are going to extensively abuse it is actually ridiculous. Any normal company would do a recall but Apple doesn't care about quality I guess. It would not be easy to bend the iPad without breaking other parts of the device so they could likely tell which ones were genuine and which ones were not. 

9 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It’s only overblown and justified because Apple products command a high price, therefore build quality issues are inexcusable. Further, competitors like Samsung seldom have these problems. So it is completely justified that Apple is held to high expectations and deserves to be ridiculed for stupid hardware problems. 

This, Samsung got ridiculed just as much for their exploding batteries.  The more a product costs over the average/competitor the higher all quality controls should be.  It's not up for debate.  If you pay twice as much for a product then you expect the product twice as good.  Sometimes it will be performance and sometimes it will be support and sometimes it will be physical robustness (sadly something many products are lacking these days).

11 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

This is just like all other Apple issues. Overblown out of proportion.

Comments like this are why many people on the forum instantly hate all things apple.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You realize someone would have to bend it slightly without breaking the screen or anything for them to be able to return it with this recall and not the 14 day return policy?

But why would someone do that. Very few people will manage to break the device within 14 days as opposed to after a year. You never understood my point

10 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

The fact that you think people are going to extensively abuse it is actually ridiculous. Any normal company would do a recall but Apple doesn't care about quality I guess. It would not be easy to bend the iPad without breaking other parts of the device so they could likely tell which ones were genuine and which ones were not. 

Sure, right. Tablets and even thin laptops are extremely bendable. Check bend tests. But only Apple gets covered in the mainstream media. Unless something retarded like exploding batteries or selling user data, Apple even gets attention in media for very few isolated chargegate and beautygate

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Comments like this are why many people on the forum instantly hate all things apple.  

Check the above. Same point. Apple gets scrutinized for every small thing. They should, but people should do it for other companies too. For example iPhone's face ID and touch ID was put into extensive tests in the lab, but what about the competition? Everyone has an objectively worse and a far less secure biometrics but no one cares and OnePlus is praised for their faster face unlock feature, even though it can easily be tricked by a photo

11 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It’s only overblown and justified because Apple products command a high price, therefore build quality issues are inexcusable. Further, competitors like Samsung seldom have these problems. So it is completely justified that Apple is held to high expectations and deserves to be ridiculed for stupid hardware problems. 

Is it a widespread problem? No. There will definitely be a few rotten Apples in basket of millions. Stop expecting Apple to make a 100% perfect device. No one can do that. If it's widespread enough, Apple has historically always had a replacement program and if this blows into an issue again after a few months, then it's an actual problem

8 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Check the above. Same point. Apple gets scrutinized for every small thing. They should, but people should do it for other companies too.

Other companies do get scrutinized for everything. what world are you living in if you think apple are the only one being scrutinized.  

For example iPhone's face ID and touch ID was put into extensive tests in the lab, but what about the competition?

And?  one day your going to have to accept not everyone agrees with you nor has your standards.

Everyone has an objectively worse and a far less secure biometrics but no one cares and OnePlus is praised for their faster face unlock feature, even though it can easily be tricked by a photo few months,

Yep, that justifies defending shit behaviour from a company.  9_9 

This is the problem,  you see, I never mentioned face ID or any of that shit, You  brought that up because you can't justify your defense of this topics issue. I simply pointed out if you defend shit behaviour, then people will start to hate that company more, that's how people work.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

Other companies do get scrutinized for everything. what world are you living in if you think apple are the only one being scrutinized.  

No other company gets as much as attention for every little thing as Apple. What world are you living in? Do you think Pixel issues were National news? Chargegate and beautygate were.

And?  one day your going to have to accept not everyone agrees with you nor has your standards.

Huh. Biometrics are supposed to be secure. Are you justifying android manufacturer's poor biometrics implementation? This is precisely an area where Apple needs to get more credit but doesn't get

Yep, that justifies defending shit behaviour from a company.  9_9 

This is the problem,  you see, I never mentioned face ID or any of that shit, You  brought that up because you can't justify your defense of this topics issue. I simply pointed out if you defend shit behaviour, then people will start to hate that company more, that's how people work.

What, I'm giving a fucking example? My point being, no other companies get strictly covered in mainstream media for every small little issue that pops up.

As far as I see this is an isolated problem and people can return their product if it comes bent. The only shitty thing here was apple's PR statement. There's absolutely no fucking issue here. And and I am a 100 percent certain that other products like surface, or samsung phones or pretty much every other company also have a few defective devices out in the wild too, but it never pops up in media because no one cares. Pixel and Surface issues are extremely notorious for their numerous number of software issues but it honestly died down and people are just used to it. But when it's Apple you suddenly have the I hate Apple fanboys and hundreds of YouTubers making a specific video about it and shit goes crazy.

And what about positive Apple news? Most people here completely ignore all the positive Apple news and just posts the negative. That itself speaks of the negativity of the forum

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

No other company gets as much as attention for every little thing as Apple. What world are you living in? Do you think Pixel issues were National news? Chargegate and beautygate were.

When they were this big in 2016 alone: https://www.forbes.com/companies/apple/#36656a9e5355  , and market & sell their products as being premium top-of-the-segment items, of course there is going to be a lot of attention.

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Huh. Biometrics are supposed to be secure. Are you justifying android manufacturer's poor biometrics implementation? This is precisely an area where Apple needs to get more credit but doesn't get

What's with you asking a completely irrelevant question in response to statements you don't like?

6 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

What, I'm giving a fucking example? My point being, no other companies get strictly covered in mainstream media for every small little issue that pops up.

As far as I see this is an isolated problem and people can return their product if it comes bent. The only shitty thing here was apple's PR statement. There's absolutely no fucking issue here. And and I am a 100 percent certain that other products like surface, or samsung phones or pretty much every other company also have a few defective devices out in the wild too, but it never pops up in media because no one cares. Pixel and Surface issues are extremely notorious for their numerous number of software issues but it honestly died down and people are just used to it. But when it's Apple you suddenly have the I hate Apple fanboys and hundreds of YouTubers making a specific video about it and shit goes crazy.

And what about positive Apple news? Most people here completely ignore all the positive Apple news and just posts the negative. That itself speaks of the negativity of the forum

How the hell are these small issues:

• short life span due to lack of underfill under the touch IC (iPhone 6, previous and successive phones don't lack it)
  • easy bending over short periods of normal use (iPhone 6, leading to above problem being an issue)
  • no reception when holding iPhone normally (iPhone 4, Apple's response "you're holding it wrong")
  • iPad Pro 2nd gen coming out of the factory & being sold bent (Apple's response, it "is a side effect of the device's manufacturing process and shouldn't worsen over time or negatively affect the flagship iPad’s performance in any practical way")

Those BTW aren't cheap products either (or weren't in the case of the iPhone 4 and 6 at launch). Apple expects people to pay a premium for their products, so that comes with associated expectations. You wouldn't by a Mercedes for example, and be just fine with; satnav and radio that don't work, a chassis that bends over 6 months of driving or a high chance that your car came off the assembly line with its chassis bent.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

41 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

As is with all news stories, the bigger the product presences the more likely it will be news.  This is just basic stuff.

Oh please,  quite with bio metrics crap, that has nothing to do with this discussion, I never mentioned it and now you are accusing me of justifying it on certain devices.  please learn to read.

No your not, your deflecting from the issue.  This is why people hate apple discussions and that transfers to apple.  Again you are trying to make me sound like the enemy unfairly hating on apple when the issue is you are unjustly defending them and then trying to justify that by bringing up unrelated issues.

Ah, apple tools attempting to defend/justify shitty over priced products never gets old.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Oh please,  quite with bio metrics crap, that has nothing to do with this discussion, I never mentioned it and now you are accusing me of justifying it on certain devices.  please learn to read.

What in the world? You yourself said that people don't have standards as I do i biometrics

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

No your not, your deflecting from the issue.  This is why people hate apple discussions and that transfers to apple.  Again you are trying to make me sound like the enemy unfairly hating on apple when the issue is you are unjustly defending them and then trying to justify that by bringing up unrelated issues.

Wow, and you completely ignore the biggest paragraph in my reply pertaining solely to the topic at hand. Just wow. This is the kind of shit I can't understand

47 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

33 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

When they were this big in 2016 alone: https://www.forbes.com/companies/apple/#36656a9e5355  , and market & sell their products as being premium top-of-the-segment items, of course there is going to be a lot of attention.

Apple is not the only one who sells expensive products. Alot of top end Android phones costs as much and microsoft has even gone two steps ahead in the pricing game when it comes to computers. And surely all of those products gets as much as attention.

What's with you asking a completely irrelevant question in response to statements you don't like?

Umm, excuse me, he implied that no one cared about the security of biometrics by saying that I had to understand that no one has standards like me

• short life span due to lack of underfill under the touch IC (iPhone 6, previous and successive phones don't lack it)
  • easy bending over short periods of normal use (iPhone 6, leading to above problem being an issue)
  • no reception when holding iPhone normally (iPhone 4, Apple's response "you're holding it wrong")
  • iPad Pro 2nd gen coming out of the factory & being sold bent (Apple's response, it "is a side effect of the device's manufacturing process and shouldn't worsen over time or negatively affect the flagship iPad’s performance in any practical way")

Those BTW aren't cheap products either (or weren't in the case of the iPhone 4 and 6 at launch). Apple expects people to pay a premium for their products, so that comes with associated expectations. You wouldn't by a Mercedes for example, and be just fine with; satnav and radio that don't work, a chassis that bends over 6 months of driving or a high chance that your car came off the assembly line with its chassis bent.

See, when did I say these weren't small issues? Please quote me. When I was talking about Apple getting extra attention I always referred to chargegate and beautygate. And these were major issues that spans across 8 years across all their products. What about other companies? Pixel hada beta software. Surface had issues for years before they finally (I think) figured out with Surface 5, Samsung has always had slow software experience (but it has become normal now), etc.

Now, I don't care about any of these things, for the issue at hand this is what i said,

58 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

58 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

My point being, no other companies get strictly covered in mainstream media for every small little issue that pops up. 

Apparently someone was just off in lala land during the whole Samsung Note 7 fiasco...

What in the world? You yourself said that people don't have standards as I do i biometrics

Yes, people don't have the same standards as you, yet you insist that yours are the only ones apple should be held to, please stop it.

Wow, and you completely ignore the biggest paragraph in my reply pertaining solely to the topic at hand. Just wow. This is the kind of shit I can't understand

I didn't ignore it,  for you this is an isolated problem, well done.  But others don't see apples behaviour as isolated at all, it seems every time something goes wrong of late apple is trying to claim nothing is wrong.   If you keep telling people that their chief gripe with apple (their behaviour toward the problem not the actual problem itself), then you are perpetuating this idea that people should just accept shit behaviour from them. 

It's fine if you want to down play it and not hold them accountable, but be fucked if I am, if I pay top dollar for a product I expect it to be support as such, Apple don't seem to do that anymore. 

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Just reading over the thread. 3rd gen iPads, there was a refresh from A9X to A10X. 

Is it part of the 2016 controversial Apple topics? Tbh only the iPhone 4 was that bad, I had an iPhone 6, as well as many peers, no bending. Can’t force people to be careful with their phone though, especially when so many people buy them.

Not a fan of the bent iPad though, even though haven’t seen one actually bent oob myself. Should have been solved, a lot more so because it is a manufacturing defect. This will cost Apple lots of money, more so than they gain from selling the faulty iPads. Obviously I would usually say, well put a case on it - but if they can’t use a case in the first place, that’s unacceptable. I pay good money that I work hard for, for Apple products and I expect them to last a long time. 

13 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Just reading over the thread. 3rd gen iPads, there was a refresh from A9X to A10X. 

Is it part of the 2016 controversial Apple topics? Tbh only the iPhone 4 was that bad, I had an iPhone 6, as well as many peers, no bending. Can’t force people to be careful with their phone though, especially when so many people buy them.

Not a fan of the bent iPad though, even though haven’t seen one actually bent oob myself. Should have been solved, a lot more so because it is a manufacturing defect. This will cost Apple lots of money, more so than they gain from selling the faulty iPads. Obviously I would usually say, well put a case on it - but if they can’t use a case in the first place, that’s unacceptable. I pay good money that I work hard for, for Apple products and I expect them to last a long time. 

Just pointing out to some one that negative coverage of Apple isn't "every small issue", which was what some one said trying to defend the BS Apple has spouted in regards to the bent iPad Pro and previous coverage of defects.

PMSL

53 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Just pointing out to some one that negative coverage of Apple isn't "every small issue", which was what some one said trying to defend the BS Apple has spouted in regards to the bent iPad Pro and previous coverage of defects.

In some ways lots of little issues are made a big deal out of, especially on YouTube and the news picks up on it then. Paying so much I don’t see why issues should have a scale, I expect my devices to work perfectly under the warranty timeframe of 2 years.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Paying so much I don’t see why issues should have a scale, I expect my devices to work perfectly under the warranty timeframe of 2 years.

I think people just forget that quality costs more and that's why there is a scale.  Generally speaking of course as there is always the odd outlier product that is exceptional and cheap (Linux for example), however if you want better performance, better longevity, better support then you have to pay for it.  I think that's why there has been a trend of late of people getting shitty with apple.  10 years ago there products justified the price, now they are still commanding top dollar but a lot more issues are surfacing and their support seems to be seriously lacking (becoming anti consumer).

My sons ipad air2 cracked screen one month out of apple extended care, they want me to buy a new Ipad (they wont fix it),  I cannot accept that it cost close to A$400 to replace the screen, thus I cannot accept that telling me to buy a new one is satisfactory customer service.

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I mean you gotta be real, in the big picture of Apple as a company....those "issues" were not that significant. Media just likes to talk big. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

20 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean you gotta be real, in the big picture of Apple as a company....those "issues" were not that significant. Media just likes to talk big. 

Well in a way I guess you are correct, since at least with the iPhone 6 Apple were making a killing on "repairs" (not really repairs as the motherboards were simply switched out...for ones with the same defect)..

PMSL

33 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

touch ic disease and holding your iphone wrong were actually large problems

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

7 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

touch ic disease and holding your iphone wrong were actually large problems

Sure, but the issues surfaced after Apple made all their money and people got their replacements or upgraded to the next iPhone. In the overall picture, it was kinda “meh”

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

37 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sure, but the issues surfaced after Apple made all their money and people got their replacements or upgraded to the next iPhone. In the overall picture, it was kinda “meh”

Meh to them, not the people affected. And holding your iphone wrong affected on release

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

17 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

But why would someone do that. Very few people will manage to break the device within 14 days as opposed to after a year. You never understood my point

Sure, right. Tablets and even thin laptops are extremely bendable. Check bend tests. But only Apple gets covered in the mainstream media. Unless something retarded like exploding batteries or selling user data, Apple even gets attention in media for very few isolated chargegate and beautygate

Check the above. Same point. Apple gets scrutinized for every small thing. They should, but people should do it for other companies too. For example iPhone's face ID and touch ID was put into extensive tests in the lab, but what about the competition? Everyone has an objectively worse and a far less secure biometrics but no one cares and OnePlus is praised for their faster face unlock feature, even though it can easily be tricked by a photo

Is it a widespread problem? No. There will definitely be a few rotten Apples in basket of millions. Stop expecting Apple to make a 100% perfect device. No one can do that. If it's widespread enough, Apple has historically always had a replacement program and if this blows into an issue again after a few months, then it's an actual problem

Yep let's defend apple with the same old "but other companies do bad things too". That is the same excuse that most small children use until they realize how dumb it is. I love it how you say it isn't a widespread problem yet they said that it was a direct result of how it is manufactured. That clearly indicates it isn't a fluke case bit rather a defect in the way they are manufactured. They also said it wasn't a defect meaning they aren't even admitting it is defective which it certainly is. It's obvious that a company can not make all their devices perfect but that is why you do quality control but they don't see it as a defect so they aren't going to check for that. The whole thing is ridiculous. 

18 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Stop expecting Apple to make a 100% perfect device. 

Oh no, we aren't expecting Apple to make a literal perfect device. 

We're just asking them to make a device that doesn't freaking bend from manufacturing. Either that or change their manufacturing process so that a very expensive tablet doesn't arrive to its customer in a bent state. 

That shouldn't be hard to wrap your head around. If they're selling this product for top dollar, then I would expect some form of quality in it. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1