iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

Streetguru
5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Still remembering how some fanatics in this forum were going at jerry's throat because bend tests were unrealistic and are not representative of a device structural integrity.

Welp, I guess this case is also normal for them.

It naturally curves for a better grip.

It's like the speed holes to make the car go faster:

-------

Current Rig

-------

they actually said it's "normal"

LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

People pay extra for curved displays normally :)

Yes, but usually it's written on the box and it's not luck of the draw. Also, curved screens make some sense when they're very large, not 12".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

It's 2018, stop fat shaming tablets and let them be thicc... 

Seriously tho, IMO the 1st Gen iPad Pro form factor was perfect, I like having bezels so I can actually hold the device without accidentally grabbing the screen, and it was plenty thin while still being reasonably durable (about as durable as you can ask for a 12.9" slab of thin glass and aluminum to be). Felt great in the hand, never wished it was thinner or smaller. Really don't understand the tech industry's obsession with going thinner than thinner, Apple's done the same with the new MacBook Pros and they've had overheating issues and keyboard problems and all sorts of crap. 

It's not really a thickness issue -- the previous Pro was about the same thickness (6.1 vs 5.9mm). BUT the old one had a rounded back which likely added quite a bit of structural integrity -- integrity that is lost by the straight sides. I personally prefer the styling of the new Pro (and am all for smaller bezels and lighter designs) and wish that Apple would also go back in that direction with the iPhone (the 5s was by far my favorite aesthetically). 

The problem is that it needed a bit more internal strengthening as this appears to actually be a problem affecting new, still in box, units.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

There is a 14-day no question return period. If it's bent just return it and buy a new one

Is it bad? yes. But stop jumping into conclusions

I'm pretty sure Apple said this so they can avoid people from purposely bending it to get a new one

33 replies, and it's not the good doctor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

There is a 14-day no question return period. If it's bent just return it and buy a new one

Is it bad? yes. But stop jumping into conclusions

I'm pretty sure Apple said this so they can avoid people from purposely bending it to get a new one

No need to when it's bent out of the box.

Apple does this bs damage control instead of admitting a device is flawed and their fault. The return period doesn't matter and is a terrible excuse, a $800 device shouldn't be damaged out of the box lol.

11 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Is it bad? yes

Oh?!

so now it's bad?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

No need to when it's bent out of the box.

Apple does this bs damage control instead of admitting a device is flawed and their fault. The return period doesn't matter, a $800 device shouldn't be damaged out of the box lol.

What are you trying to say? There is a solution to it. Apple is providing a way to return. They just wont accept it if you try to return it after two weeks of purchase which 99% would mean that the user bent it. But that scenario of someone accidently bending a tablet seems unlikely (but as demonstrated by Zack it should be made internally stronger to provide a safe zone)

Now two things could have occured, Apple admits mistake and makes a recall program. Suddenly you'll have so many people purposely bending it to get a new one. Two Apple can brush it off, so they'll avoid the first problem completely and those 2 people who accidently bent it would suffer. So I'm pretty sure a for-profit corporation chose to sacrifice 2 customers rather than losing million and million of dollars replacing the iPads. 

So yeah the option is no brainer and don't expect Apple to be some kind of saint and do things that no companies wouldn't. And as always Apple news always gets blown out of proportion, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's like only 5 people who got bent iPads, out of the tens and million they shipped

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they actually said it's "normal"

LOL

You're holding the iPad wrong

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

29 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

It's not really a thickness issue -- the previous Pro was about the same thickness (6.1 vs 5.9mm). BUT the old one had a rounded back which likely added quite a bit of structural integrity -- integrity that is lost by the straight sides. I personally prefer the styling of the new Pro (and am all for smaller bezels and lighter designs) and wish that Apple would also go back in that direction with the iPhone (the 5s was by far my favorite aesthetically). 

The problem is that it needed a bit more internal strengthening as this appears to actually be a problem affecting new, still in box, units.

they could of done what they did with the 6S after the whole iphone 6 bendgate disaster... using a better grade of aluminum and adding some support "struts" basically that run the length of the chassis to provide some rigidity.

But I guess it got overlooked.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

52 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Still remembering how some fanatics in this forum were going at jerry's throat because bend tests were unrealistic and are not representative of a device structural integrity.

they are. devices are not designed to be able to survive people actively trying to break them in half. 

53 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Welp, I guess this case is also normal for them.

no, it's not. this is completely different. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

they are. devices are not designed to be able to survive people actively trying to break them in half. 

no, it's not. this is completely different. 

A mobile device should be able to withstand some abuse, the previous iPad pro was much stronger too so there is clearly something wrong with the design on these since it can be bent so easily.  And the Surface pro Jerry compared still functioned after the same test method.

32 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A mobile device should be able to withstand some abuse, the previous iPad pro was much stronger too so there is clearly something wrong with the design on these since it can be bent so easily.  And the Surface pro Jerry compared still functioned after the same test method.

some devices are overbuilt in terms of strength, but that doesn't mean all devices have to be. 

She/Her

56 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

some devices are overbuilt in terms of strength, but that doesn't mean all devices have to be. 

Doesn't mean they should be allowed to be underbuilt. This is a complete joke. A bent product is a defective product. Why Apple allowed this past QC is beyond me.

Just now, C2HWarrior said:

Doesn't mean they should be allowed to be underbuilt.

I didn't argue that at all. I was responding to the argument that some devices can survive a bend test... 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I didn't argue that at all. I was responding to the argument that some devices can survive a bend test... 

yea but surface isn't overbuilt it's just reasonably built. The sheer ease that he bent it (iPad Pro) with is the problem, it shows the physical structure is clearly flawed in some way. As we see with them shipping bent.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Just now, S w a t s o n said:

yea but surface isn't overbuilt it's just reasonably built. The sheer ease that he bent it with is the problem, it shows the physical structure is clearly flawed in some way. As we see with them shipping bent.

perhaps. but my argument is still valid. devices shouldn't need to survive a bend test. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

perhaps. but my argument is still valid. devices shouldn't need to survive a bend test. 

right and he clearly states it bends as expected for something of it's dimensions. this wasnt exactly a surprise but the video was posted in the thread in support of the shipping problem.

6 hours ago, Thaldor said:

And probably soon one of forums macfanatics jumps up to defend this.

Like how shitty product Apple must do before their brainwashed zombie army gets it? Or better, how bad of an excuse Apple must come up that their zombie army doesn't buy it?

Apple is probably the only company that could actually sell a bag of dog shit as a phone and people would smear it all over themselves and when someone points out that it isn't a phone, get fucking lunaticly angry because the dog shit is actually the best phone they have ever used even though it's only dog shit.

I don’t want to defend Apple, quite the opposite. But other companies get away with bad software support, bad designs and bad overall quality because they’re not as scrutinized as Apple. 

It’s just mind boggling to me that Apple devices bend so easily in 2018 after the iPhone 6 story. 

11 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I don’t want to defend Apple, quite the opposite. But other companies get away with bad software support, bad designs and bad overall quality because they’re not as scrutinized as Apple. 

It’s just mind boggling to me that Apple devices bend so easily in 2018 after the iPhone 6 story. 

Usually those companies don't market their products as the best and greatest and add huge premiums to their prices to back those claims up. Also they don't have that zombie army behind them screaming how the screw ups are just the mistakes of owners or just generally minimizing the problems in their +1000$ products. And yeah there is quite a lot companies with their own fanboys and those companies quite often produce shit, but for example, if Apple was to release the GT 1030 DDR4 Apple fanboys would be praising it to the heavens for Apple bringing cheaper GPU to the markets for all those poor bastards who cannot afford the 4000$ Quadro, while Nvidia fanboys went from 100 to "what the fuck" in less than 5 seconds.

It used to be fun to bash on Apple fans, but how bad Apple has turned (their repair being more than a thievery, almost no product comes out without significant problems or controversy and generally they are turning out to be just a more expensive IT company in the grey mass of IT companies) and now it feels more like bashing on disabled puppies who have fallen to pit of tar. It used to be fun because there was always the reason of being jealous, but can you be even jealous for someone who pays nearly 1000$ for a product that needs to be held with silk gloves if it isn't broken from the package or for the guy who has just some normal dust and crap collected into his laptop that can be cleaned for 20$ but needs to pay 700$ for a new MB instead because Apple just can't use air pressure and maybe some alcohol?

I've got a feeling it's shipping damage that's causing this. Why on earth would the factory make already bent products?

Plus, China's shipping companies aren't well known for handling parcels with care..