iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

Streetguru

And no, Apple. If I bought my iPad Pro and it came right out of the sealed packaging in a bent state, that is not fucking normal unless that device is specifically designed to be bent like the LG G Flex (I know that's a phone, but it's one of those few products designed to be bent).

According to Apple, the device is bent because of the cooling process involving the aluminum chassis and some of the plastic components and that it "shouldn't get worse over time".

Then figure out a different process

Fix your shit, Apple. I shouldn't have to play a fucking lottery of which iPad is bent and which one is not or which one is only very slightly bent when I'm paying top money for a tablet.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Also let it sink. Even if the bend tests aren't real-world use cases, but if the tablet can bend from the manufacturing process or cooling how weak it must be. Yeah, with enough force anything bends, but bending out of manufacturing process isn't something normal or at least isn't something that everybody would call normal.

For our residence Apple defender. The return policy is BS as long as Apple doesn't sell directly world wide and only directly. Resellers probably sell a way more than Apple alone just because there's more of them and they might have different return policies. And that's where this is so much BS because with this many resellers may deny refunds because the product isn't defective and totally "normally curved".

Didn't they say the same shit after the iphone 6 bending issue came to light? 

Yeah, customers can turn a blind eye to the bending issue. However, there were many issues that arose years after release of the iphone 6 due to flexing, not bending. Design flaws happen to the best companies. To turn a blind eye to it and say its normal after dealing with the same issue 4 years ago... get outta here with that garbage. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

13 minutes ago, vetali said:

Didn't they say the same shit after the iphone 6 bending issue came to light? 

The iPhone 6 bent due to a relatively weak frame and design flaw that caused it to be more susceptible to flex damage over time, especially to the mainboard. 

I don't recall many iPhone 6 models arriving in a bent state. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

do u even know how a recall works?

What? Make a point. Their recall program usually lasts from anywhere between 1-3 years

6 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Are you fucking high? That makes absolutely zero sense. Do you really think there are people out there who are buying ~$1000 tablets just to go "hurr durr let me bend it myself so I can just wait and be out the money & the product during the couple of weeks turn around time to RMA this one and get a replacement"???

You're really reaching around for Apple here bro...like I get that you must really be used to jerking this company off but give it a rest dude.

Oh wow, you could've thought for like 10 seconds before reubutting on that. Say I own an iPad and scratch it, or theres a minor screen damage, because say I dropped it. Under this recall, anyone can easily bend it and claim that then bend caused the damage and under which Apple will be obligated to replace the iPad, FOR FREE. There will be more than a handfew who would definitely take advantage of it. Waiting few days for RMA to get a brand new shiny device, especially after it's been used roughly and extensively isn't even a question.

And FYI replacement program doesn't take weeks in Apple Stores, they do it instantly as all they have to do is hand down a brand new device.

It's not a defect, it's a feature. It's for ergonomics. /s

C'mon Apple... Really? This is ridiculous.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

10 hours ago, 79wjd said:

No, you really can't. Some asshole on the internet bending an iPad means absolutely nothing without some data supporting the amount of force required. 

Compare paper being bent to a steel bar. Yes, such a video is not absolutely accurate. But you can glean some info from it. It was obvious the aluminium was really too soft from the video (compared to the other devices some also failed similar, some bounced back).

I was not saying you could get measurements, but results. You can see where the device cracks, if it's shatter proof, or if it's safety glass. If it flexes or if it bends/dents. If the battery explodes or fizzes.

37 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Under this recall, anyone can easily bend it and claim that then bend caused the damage and under which Apple will be obligated to replace the iPad, FOR FREE

You know good consumer protections allready kinda do this right?

Its a design flaw, meaning that if the customer wasnt aware of it at the time purschase. It is only natural to be able to get a recall if other unrelated damages are present.

If there is a customer claiming the design flaw caused X damages, then if Apple wants to refute this, then they would need to prove that it isnt the case. 

44 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Say I own an iPad and scratch it, or theres a minor screen damage, because say I dropped it. 

Regular scratches count as wear and tear. If the screen is damaged and you bend it afterwards. Apple will have to prove that the device was bent afterwards, or else the damage is essentially done by the design flaw.

There are details to these things, though i dont want to get into too many details

52 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

What? Make a point. Their recall program usually lasts from anywhere between 1-3 years

Oh wow, you could've thought for like 10 seconds before reubutting on that. Say I own an iPad and scratch it, or theres a minor screen damage, because say I dropped it. Under this recall, anyone can easily bend it and claim that then bend caused the damage and under which Apple will be obligated to replace the iPad, FOR FREE. There will be more than a handfew who would definitely take advantage of it. Waiting few days for RMA to get a brand new shiny device, especially after it's been used roughly and extensively isn't even a question.

And FYI replacement program doesn't take weeks in Apple Stores, they do it instantly as all they have to do is hand down a brand new device.

Well that's how a recall works, sure there are going to be a few dishonest people damaging their own device, but its Apple's fault for not having the proper QA and sending out bent iPads in the first place. Scratches and minor damage are normal use, the tablet being shipped bent isn't normal no matter how much the media and youtubers want to defend it.

Like the defective batteries and keyboards in macbooks, Apple should be obligated to replace it because when a person is paying more for a product that should be better it shouldn't be defective out of the box.

43 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Definition:

A product recall is a request from a manufacturer to return a product after the discovery of safety issues or product defects that might endanger the consumer or put the maker/seller at risk of legal action.

The recall is an effort to limit ruination of the corporate image and limit liability for corporate negligence, which can cause significant legal costs. It can be difficult, if not impossible, to determine how costly can be releasing to the consumer a product that could endanger someone's life and the economic loss resulting from unwanted publicity. Recalls are costly. Costs include having to handle the recalled product, replacing it and possibly being held financially responsible for the consequences of the recalled product.

A country's consumer protection laws will have specific requirements in regard to product recalls. Such regulations may include how much of the cost the maker will have to bear, situations in which a recall is compulsory (usually because the risk is big enough), or penalties for failure to recall. The firm may also initiate a recall voluntarily, perhaps subject to the same regulations as if the recall were compulsory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_recall

A recall would imply for Apple to take back all sold iPads and remove them from the market. No matter the state of the device, how much time as passed since it was purchased and aesthetical condition

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

no one ever asked for a THIN device, 

remember the days where everyone was holding their "thick" nokia phone firmly

*No one asked for an absurdly thin device

Thinner is okay as long as it doesn't come at the cost of the core essentials, like battery life and structural integrity.

27 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

a few dishonest people damaging their own device, but its Apple's fault

that's how that works... lmao

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that's how that works... lmao

For shipping iPads bent from the factory, if there were a recall Apple couldn't blame it on you for having a bent ipad. Not sure why you had to take my post out of content.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

For shipping iPads bent from the factory, if there were a recall Apple couldn't blame it on you for having a bent ipad. Not sure why you had to take my post out of content.

I just find it funny how it can be Apple's fault if people damage their own device. that's what I found funny. I agree with the rest of that post, but that sentence made me facepalm. 

She/Her

48 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I just find it funny how it can be Apple's fault if people damage their own device. that's what I found funny. I agree with the rest of that post, but that sentence made me facepalm. 

Sorry, it must be me being used to over the top good consumer protections. 

If the damage comes from design flaw, then its natural to get an replacement. If the damage is user cause its a different matter. 

I know what you are getting at, but this issue has gone far enough to be design fault. The extras that comes with design faults are psudo punishment for not creating a device without design flaws.

Offcourse wear and tear do not count toward design flaw.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

You really think people that would spend $800 or more on a tablet would bend their own device just so they can wait around for a return? If someone accidentally bent their tablet through normal use then it is still the fault of the company for making a device with a flaw when the tablet bends so easily. A company that cares about its consumers would replace it anyway under a product recall.

If Apple were to admit there is a problem with these iPads they would have to prove that the damage new out of the box isn't a design flaw. It seems like these tablets are flawed to the point that some tablets are bent from the manufacturing process.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

[Tailosive Techs video]

Good video but he leaves out quite prominent things.

1) Not all Apple devices are bought from Apple directly and those resellers might have their own return policies which means they can deny your return because "it's just normally curved"

2) By saying that this is normal Apple basicly gives all bend from factory iPads same lifetime as non-bend ones. The iPad isn't designed to be bend unlike LG G Flex, the internals ain't rated for that bend or the internal stress that the bend may cause which bring us to

3) What happens when a customer breaks the glass of their iPad Pro a year later and as a good customer brings it to the reseller or Apple store for repair? "Your iPad is bend so it would be 1000$ for a new screen, battery, body and mainboard and 100$ for the work"? Now that it's "normal curvature" non-tech savy people will just be "ok" and continue the use of their bend iPad and now we have bend iPads out there which are not returned because it's not a big deal and bend iPads that couldn't be returned because reseller. Year later how are those people going to prove to the repair that the bend was from the factory before being ripoff for a new iPad because Apples manufacturing process was faulty?

As said the iPad Pro isn't designed to be curved and if not immidiate problem, it can be problem in a long run. At least the more bend ones are very much more prone for shattered screens and maybe internal damages because they are not ment to be bend. Probably the amount of bend iPads is small and even less of those have well noticeable bends, but even still Apple is giving them green light and denying being faulty by saying "it's normal, no need to panic" and people who are not that tech savvy that they would know that it's far from normal and acceptable will be fucked in the long run because thet probably cannot prove that the bend was there from the factory and Apple can starts charging them more to fix the bend the user has caused.

9 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Are you fucking high? That makes absolutely zero sense. Do you really think there are people out there who are buying ~$1000 tablets just to go "hurr durr let me bend it myself so I can just wait and be out the money & the product during the couple of weeks turn around time to RMA this one and get a replacement"???

You're really reaching around for Apple here bro...like I get that you must really be used to jerking this company off but give it a rest dude.

Honestly, yes, I really think that there are peopel out there who would try to bend it.

After all, I do think that it still could be worse

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, they shouldn’t and Apple shouldn’t have downplayed it, but they did and I can’t change that. I can only remind everyone else that the consumer isn’t getting totally shafted here. Personally I don’t believe that just because something costs a lot, it should be perfect. Imo that is irrational. But if Apple can make it right in the end with a refund or a replacement, I see that as good customer service reguraldess of the initial mistake. 

12 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

If they don't recognize it as a defect than they won't QC for it. I don't know about you but I think any normal company should simply not let bent products through QC. It's actually insane that they can mess up the manufacturing process of a device and instead of shutting down manufacturing to fix the issue or simply QC the defective devices they end up sell the defective devices saying that there is nothing wrong with them. My friend who is a QC engineer laughed at how outrageous this is and the fact that they have such a brainwashed fan base they can get away with it. I'm sorry but this is absolutely unforgivable from any company. 

I'm gonna go in the middle grounds here. It is not unreasonable for a company to put out a bad product, or have a round of flaws with a good product. I don't believe Apple to solely be at fault for this issue. Sure I think they've not had the best internal structures, but they are ultimately doing what consumers want them to do. They are making things smaller, thinner, lighter. And with that will come consequences. The lack of internal structuring is no doubt an effort to make the device lighter. That part is our fault.

Having said that, there is some responsibility from the company making the product to realize and accept the issue. If we're talking some crappy $30-50 budget tablet here, whatever, you get what you pay for. But with a close to a thousand dollar device, I don't think it's reasonable for a product to be of better quality. The issue here is this is not a small batch of a product with a few defects. This is a design issue. It wasn't built with enough internal structuring. And I don't believe for a second that Apple doesn't have a QC department. The reality is that they knew before shipping these, the QC department would have done stress tests on them and realized that problems could occur. Then they proceeded to ship a product they knew was flawed in it's design. That's problem #1 but I won't hold them accountable for this as much as there are plenty of crap products on the market much worse than these. It's the consumer's job to sort through the crap or return if they bought a bad product. What I can hold them accountable fully for is claiming it's not a defect, saying it's normal. First off it's just a blatant lie. Second though, it's misdirection for the consumer. By not acknowledging fault or issue, many people will trust them in this matter and not bother returning. They will accept Apple's conclusion, hence the "it's a feature" joke. What really makes all this stand out is that if a different company let an issue through QC or had a similar blaring defect *coughsamsungbatteriescough*, we all go break down the walls of the business and demand better. people lose all trust in a company after one small failure, even if the company did everything possible to prevent it and mitigate the damage, all with perfect customer service. And when I say we I don't only refer to tech people. Normal consumers when they find out about things like this will swear off of companies, post all over facebook, practically ruin businesses over something small. But when Apple has an issue, it becomes a feature. It becomes acceptable. And when it becomes acceptable for apple, it becomes acceptable for dell, samsung, hp, etc. While consumers CAN and SHOULD return the device, the problem is many WON'T. this is a consumer choice, but it will affect other companies who will start letting more things through QC, thinking they can get away with it like Apple

13 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Bad software can make a device unusable as well. Think bootloops. But that’s a different type of problem with a different solution. 

absolutely, but the difference there is someone can fix the software, load it up and everything is fine. it can be made usable. Not all hardware issues can be repaired. Sometimes the part's just bad and there's  nothing to do but get a new part/device. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

41 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm gonna go in the middle grounds here. It is not unreasonable for a company to put out a bad product, or have a round of flaws with a good product. I don't believe Apple to solely be at fault for this issue. Sure I think they've not had the best internal structures, but they are ultimately doing what consumers want them to do. They are making things smaller, thinner, lighter. And with that will come consequences. The lack of internal structuring is no doubt an effort to make the device lighter. That part is our fault.

Having said that, there is some responsibility from the company making the product to realize and accept the issue. If we're talking some crappy $30-50 budget tablet here, whatever, you get what you pay for. But with a close to a thousand dollar device, I don't think it's reasonable for a product to be of better quality. The issue here is this is not a small batch of a product with a few defects. This is a design issue. It wasn't built with enough internal structuring. And I don't believe for a second that Apple doesn't have a QC department. The reality is that they knew before shipping these, the QC department would have done stress tests on them and realized that problems could occur. Then they proceeded to ship a product they knew was flawed in it's design. That's problem #1 but I won't hold them accountable for this as much as there are plenty of crap products on the market much worse than these. It's the consumer's job to sort through the crap or return if they bought a bad product. What I can hold them accountable fully for is claiming it's not a defect, saying it's normal. First off it's just a blatant lie. Second though, it's misdirection for the consumer. By not acknowledging fault or issue, many people will trust them in this matter and not bother returning. They will accept Apple's conclusion, hence the "it's a feature" joke. What really makes all this stand out is that if a different company let an issue through QC or had a similar blaring defect *coughsamsungbatteriescough*, we all go break down the walls of the business and demand better. people lose all trust in a company after one small failure, even if the company did everything possible to prevent it and mitigate the damage, all with perfect customer service. And when I say we I don't only refer to tech people. Normal consumers when they find out about things like this will swear off of companies, post all over facebook, practically ruin businesses over something small. But when Apple has an issue, it becomes a feature. It becomes acceptable. And when it becomes acceptable for apple, it becomes acceptable for dell, samsung, hp, etc. While consumers CAN and SHOULD return the device, the problem is many WON'T. this is a consumer choice, but it will affect other companies who will start letting more things through QC, thinking they can get away with it like Apple

absolutely, but the difference there is someone can fix the software, load it up and everything is fine. it can be made usable. Not all hardware issues can be repaired. Sometimes the part's just bad and there's  nothing to do but get a new part/device. 

The issue is that is the QC departments job. If there is a design flaw causing QC issues then normally they would shit down production to fix said problem. Instead apple simply said to hell with it and ship the things anyways. This is a huge issue and they said themselves it is a result of the manufacturing process so obviously they just didn't want to spend the money to fix the issue. There is no middle ground here because what they are doing is actually the most scummy thing I have seen a company do in a long time. If this was a cheaper device it might be a bit more acceptable but this is a very expensive piece of hardware and they shouldn't be knowingly selling a defective device.