iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

Streetguru
10 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Apparently someone was just off in lala land during the whole Samsung Note 7 fiasco...

And the Vauxhall (and others) emissions fakery, or the Toyota breaks/steering problems... or the (ok, cars get a lot of flack).

I'm in the UK though, so mileage may vary. But mainly any service failure (Banks, Mobile phones etc) gets reported. Tech signs usually report failure rates, LG/Samsung/Sony included, though, less sales = smaller articles as less customers in general. Or more SKUs = less coverage as more to cover.

Apple do a few, large volume, high ticket price products. So they may look, or even get, disproportionate coverage. But at that point, why claim it does not rain in winter? XD

10 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple is not the only one who sells expensive products. Alot of top end Android phones costs as much and microsoft has even gone two steps ahead in the pricing game when it comes to computers. And surely all of those products gets as much as attention.

people expect more from a 1TRILLION dollar company, and as they should. There's a difference between a regular defect and a defect that happens during manufacturing that they know about and just say "yeah, no, that's fine, it's not an issue" bullshit it's not.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

people expect more from a 1TRILLION dollar company, and as they should. There's a difference between a regular defect and a defect that happens during manufacturing that they know about and just say "yeah, no, that's fine, it's not an issue" bullshit it's not.

But the defect they said happens in manufacturing and thus must effect a lot of devices, does not affect a lot of devices. But the bend, that will cause it to wobble on a table, and has shown to break iPhone 6 board, will not cause this to break as well and is impossible to notice...

Oh, and this is blown entirely out of proportion, says someone who has not spent $1200+ on one with their own money.

Oh, and finally, it's not because Apple is selling a broken product, because every company does that... I'm certain, we want to buy broken products, and people are just acting crazy because they heard the word "Apple", and everyone else is a crazy person, and I am totally sane and logical. I'm not bias in any way.

Totally makes sense now... see?

/[sarcasm!... I think?]

On 12/24/2018 at 6:32 AM, Brooksie359 said:

Yep let's defend apple with the same old "but other companies do bad things too". That is the same excuse that most small children use until they realize how dumb it is.

I love how you didn't even read before you replied. I never said to justify Apple because other companies do bad. All I said is apple gets way more attention for every small little thing that isn't even an issue.

On 12/24/2018 at 6:32 AM, Brooksie359 said:

I love it how you say it isn't a widespread problem yet they said that it was a direct result of how it is manufactured. That clearly indicates it isn't a fluke case bit rather a defect in the way they are manufactured. They also said it wasn't a defect meaning they aren't even admitting it is defective which it certainly is. It's obvious that a company can not make all their devices perfect but that is why you do quality control but they don't see it as a defect so they aren't going to check for that. The whole thing is ridiculous. 

It's part of a cooling process. So, it must be in some kind of abrupt cooling done by a few of the machines that causes it to bend. NOT EVERY iPad comes bent out of the box (you really need to get that in your head when you're talking about this)

On 12/24/2018 at 7:51 AM, D13H4RD said:

Oh no, we aren't expecting Apple to make a literal perfect device. 

We're just asking them to make a device that doesn't freaking bend from manufacturing. Either that or change their manufacturing process so that a very expensive tablet doesn't arrive to its customer in a bent state. 

By a perfect device I actually meant production with 0 defect rate, which is impossible, even for a trillion dollar company, especially when they make in batches of tens and million, a way higher magnitude than any of the competition in all major categories.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:37 PM, Arika S said:

I really doubt it came bent out of the factory as it wouldn most definitely not have passed QC. It probably bent aftward due to minor cracks after quenching. But we can't know for sure and again we only have a few people reporting this, and everyone who owns an iPad would've confirmed it by now if it indeed was a widespread problem

50 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I really doubt it came bent out of the factory

None of them should come bent out of the box, unless there was damage to the box, and the company should surely not say that it's "normal"

and how would it become bent inside of the box? if it wasn't already bent at the factory?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

None of them should come bent out of the box, unless there was damage to the box, and the company should surely not say that it's "normal"

and how would it become bent inside of the box? if it wasn't already bent at the factory?

Residual bending after the faulty cooling, probably due to the formation of microfractures in the metal frame. It does happen in rare cases.

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Residual bending after the faulty cooling, probably due to the formation of microfractures in the metal frame. It does happen in rare cases.

Why not just make it a millimeter thicker and avoid any issues?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

I love how you didn't even read before you replied. I never said to justify Apple because other companies do bad. All I said is apple gets way more attention for every small little thing that isn't even an issue.

It's part of a cooling process. So, it must be in some kind of abrupt cooling done by a few of the machines that causes it to bend. NOT EVERY iPad comes bent out of the box (you really need to get that in your head when you're talking about this)

By a perfect device I actually meant production with 0 defect rate, which is impossible, even for a trillion dollar company, especially when they make in batches of tens and million, a way higher magnitude than any of the competition in all major categories.

I really doubt it came bent out of the factory as it wouldn most definitely not have passed QC. It probably bent aftward due to minor cracks after quenching. But we can't know for sure and again we only have a few people reporting this, and everyone who owns an iPad would've confirmed it by now if it indeed was a widespread problem

My point is that you are deflecting rather than talking about the issue. It would be one point to say this isn't a big deal but you are bringing up how other companies do poor practices as well which has nothing to do with this situation. Also if this was something they QC for then they would call it a defect but they didn't so obviously they aren't going to quality control for something that isn't considered a defect. Also I would have to disagree about the out of factory not having it bent. A bend of that type doesn't just happen from shipping but rather be apparent after the plastic is cooled. 

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

And nobody  has asked for that. 

All we asked for is the iPad to be made in a way where the only way that it could bent before it reaches the user is from shipping-inflicted damage. 

Bending from manufacturing is not okay, especially if it can be seen, no matter how many batches are affected. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 12/22/2018 at 2:29 PM, RedRound2 said:

Probably like 10 people got it bent out of box

Only 10?  You know that for a fact?  And if it's so few, why wouldn't they just acknowledge that and replace them?  Why deflect and claim it's "normal"?  If so few are getting bent, then that sounds like the rest are "normal" while the bent ones are defective.

The biggest issue for most of us isn't even the bend (though it is still an issue), it's the way Apple handled the whole fiasco.  Even you acknowledge that they handled it poorly, so I'm not really sure why this thread has gone on for 8 pages.

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I really doubt it came bent out of the factory as it wouldn't most definitely not have passed QC. It probably bent afterward due to minor cracks after quenching. But we can't know for sure and again we only have a few people reporting this, and everyone who owns an iPad would've confirmed it by now if it indeed was a widespread problem

so you're saying that the device is still cooling down from it's manufacturing to the point where it can bend from it after it's been sealed in it's box and sent from the factory?....what? this basically means that they don't do ANY QC since they wouldn't know what the state of the iPad is since it's already in it's box ready to go.

You say that it wouldn't of passed QC, but you're glossing over the fact that apple don't see it as a defect and it's "normal" so if they are saying that NOW, why do you think it would not pass QC?

If you're going to respond, respond the the second part. Why would Apple NOT classify this as a defect?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

45 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

And if it's so few, why wouldn't they just acknowledge that and replace them?

I mean Apple claimed that 9 people were effected by the bending iPhone 6 debacle and they still acknowledged it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean Apple claimed that 9 people were effected by the bending iPhone 6 debacle and they still acknowledged it. 

That problem was large enough to hit a lot of tech sites, Apple were between a rock and a hard place. With the iPad Pro, its just not as popular as their iPhones and smaller iPads, so they don't feel pressured into not being shitheads.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Bends are not caused by microfractures, but by parts cooling at different speeds causing compression/expansion at different intervals... so... yeah... ???

On 12/23/2018 at 4:06 PM, Dabombinable said:

Those BTW aren't cheap products either (or weren't in the case of the iPhone 4 and 6 at launch). Apple expects people to pay a premium for their products, so that comes with associated expectations. You wouldn't by a Mercedes for example, and be just fine with; satnav and radio that don't work, a chassis that bends over 6 months of driving or a high chance that your car came off the assembly line with its chassis bent.

Im now imagining that long rumored "Apple Car" sometimes having holes in the tires. "Oh thats not a defect, is a result of the manufacturing process where sometimes assembly workers drop nails in front of the car. Not a big deal". Then some BS how it can't get fixed by your local garage that isn't Apple authorized (because why would they be?) since its a self driving car, the technician might mess with the breaks, or the AI or something.

2 hours ago, Sypran said:

Im now imagining that long rumored "Apple Car" sometimes having holes in the tires. "Oh thats not a defect, is a result of the manufacturing process where sometimes assembly workers drop nails in front of the car. Not a big deal". Then some BS how it can't get fixed by your local garage that isn't Apple authorized (because why would they be?) since its a self driving car, the technician might mess with the breaks, or the AI or something.

For what it’s worth, I expect Apple to enter the self-driving, ride sharing market. So you won’t need to worry about repairing your Apple car because Apple won’t be making them available for sale. 

This entire thread is just a big damn headache 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

17 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

My point is that you are deflecting rather than talking about the issue. It would be one point to say this isn't a big deal but you are bringing up how other companies do poor practices as well which has nothing to do with this situation.

Can you please stop this back and forth. You or somebody probably brought up a point that compared Apple to someone else and hence I brought it up. Don't just read the last reply and completely misjudge of what is going on

17 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also if this was something they QC for then they would call it a defect but they didn't so obviously they aren't going to quality control for something that isn't considered a defect. Also I would have to disagree about the out of factory not having it bent. A bend of that type doesn't just happen from shipping but rather be apparent after the plastic is cooled. 

It's a PR statement, duh. That is very obvious here. Logically they would open themselves to alot of returns and unwarranted complaints if they said that it is a defect and call out a replacement program. But again, if it did come out of the box bent, you can return it within 14-days, so there's no issue here whatsoever

17 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Why not just make it a millimeter thicker and avoid any issues?

I doubt a mm thickness would've prevented this. Even though it's 5mm it does look thick due to flat sides for the Pencil. Adding a mm thickness to those flat edges would probably made the iPad look bulky and that would of course be a strict no no for jony Ive

16 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

And nobody  has asked for that. 

All we asked for is the iPad to be made in a way where the only way that it could bent before it reaches the user is from shipping-inflicted damage. 

Bending from manufacturing is not okay, especially if it can be seen, no matter how many batches are affected. 

We all want is a perfectly working device from all companies. But sometimes we get phones that may burst, have a barrage of software issues still unfixed (pixel and surface), cracked screen, motherboard IC issue, durability issues, etc. Get it replaced, if any of this including the issue at hand occurs to you. My goodness. talking to this forum is the most pointless time waste I've ever seen

15 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Only 10?  You know that for a fact?  And if it's so few, why wouldn't they just acknowledge that and replace them?  Why deflect and claim it's "normal"?  If so few are getting bent, then that sounds like the rest are "normal" while the bent ones are defective.

You didn't see my previous replies then. In short, they would open themselves to people who'd take advantage of the replacement program. 

15 hours ago, Jito463 said:

The biggest issue for most of us isn't even the bend (though it is still an issue), it's the way Apple handled the whole fiasco.  Even you acknowledge that they handled it poorly, so I'm not really sure why this thread has gone on for 8 pages.

Yes, they shouldn't have said what they said. But the fact is there is a 14-day return period if it does come bent out of the box

15 hours ago, Arika S said:

so you're saying that the device is still cooling down from it's manufacturing to the point where it can bend from it after it's been sealed in it's box and sent from the factory?....what? this basically means that they don't do ANY QC since they wouldn't know what the state of the iPad is since it's already in it's box ready to go.

It's an assumption. Nothing more. It could be something along those lines or entirely different. I didn't make any claims

You say that it wouldn't of passed QC, but you're glossing over the fact that apple don't see it as a defect and it's "normal" so if they are saying that NOW, why do you think it would not pass QC?

Saying it's normal is a pure PR statement. It is defective, but customers can return it within 14-days

If you're going to respond, respond the the second part. Why would Apple NOT classify this as a defect?

Urghh, god just read the previous stuff. Read the 4th reply above this and if you want a more elaborate explanation read my previous replies

13 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Bends are not caused by microfractures, but by parts cooling at different speeds causing compression/expansion at different intervals... so... yeah... ???

Abrupt cooling can cause microfractures in the metal due to as you said compression of the internal and the exterior metal. In fact, that property is taken advantage is some cooling process, if I remember correctly. Back here, yeah it's probably due to the different compression rate of the chassis and the plastic that caused it to bent

7 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

We all want is a perfectly working device from all companies. But sometimes we get phones that may burst, have a barrage of software issues still unfixed (pixel and surface), cracked screen, motherboard IC issue, durability issues, etc. Get it replaced, if any of this including the issue at hand occurs to you. My goodness. talking to this forum is the most pointless time waste I've ever seen

And how does this answer the question, really? 

We know some iPads arrive to its customers in a bent state from manufacturing (and it's not really a small bend in some cases). The question is how will Apple know whether it's user-inflicted or from manufacturing? What is Apple doing about this? Are they just going to deflect but quietly fix it in the background or are they just going to do nothing? 

And you mentioned that we all want a perfectly working device. I agree with that, but earlier, I quoted one of your earlier posts in that we should stop expecting Apple to make a 100% perfect device. Exactly who would expect that out of a mass-produced device? 

As I mentioned earlier, no one is expecting Apple to make a 110% perfect, absolutely defect-free device regardless of batch. What a lot of us are asking for is Apple to tweak its manufacturing so that the iPad does not arrive to its customer in a bent state. 

We like to shit on Google for the various quality control problems on the Pixel line of phones. It's only fair that we do the same for any company who suffers a lapse in QC. 

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Abrupt cooling can cause microfractures in the metal due to as you said compression of the internal and the exterior metal. In fact, that property is taken advantage is some cooling process, if I remember correctly. Back here, yeah it's probably due to the different compression rate of the chassis and the plastic that caused it to bent

Yes. So microfractures have nothing to do with bending. But do change weaknesses. So see. You are sadly the one missing the point every time. For example, blaming microfractures, which have nothing to do with the topic or fault. Cooling and bending are the fault.

Why complain about us, when we are giving you the correct information? ?

5 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

And how does this answer the question, really? 

We know some iPads arrive to its customers in a bent state from manufacturing (and it's not really a small bend in some cases). The question is how will Apple know whether it's user-inflicted or from manufacturing? What is Apple doing about this? Are they just going to deflect but quietly fix it in the background or are they just going to do nothing? 

And you mentioned that we all want a perfectly working device. I agree with that, but earlier, I quoted one of your earlier posts in that we should stop expecting Apple to make a 100% perfect device. Exactly who would expect that out of a mass-produced device? 

As I mentioned earlier, no one is expecting Apple to make a 110% perfect, absolutely defect-free device regardless of batch. What a lot of us are asking for is Apple to tweak its manufacturing so that the iPad does not arrive to its customer in a bent state. 

We like to shit on Google for the various quality control problems on the Pixel line of phones. It's only fair that we do the same for any company who suffers a lapse in QC. 

If history is an indicator, Apple will quietly fix things either in mid-production or with the next refresh.  Apple's classic MO is to avoid formally acknowledging quality issues until it has a solution in place -- people think it's burying its head in the sand when it really just wants a better answer than "we're looking into it."

29 minutes ago, Commodus said:

If history is an indicator, Apple will quietly fix things either in mid-production or with the next refresh.  Apple's classic MO is to avoid formally acknowledging quality issues until it has a solution in place -- people think it's burying its head in the sand when it really just wants a better answer than "we're looking into it."

Having some PR as deflection while quietly fixing things cause screw everyone that bought the flawed product really isn't much better. And no people just want a better answer than "this isn't an issue our stuff is perfect".

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

people think it's burying its head in the sand when it really just wants a better answer than "we're looking into it."

So "everything is perfect, not our problem" is a better answer?

Apple is essentially playing this off and down the road when someone comes in for real issues because bending they will just say its the users fault. 

This fucks over customers badly.