Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

26 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

LOL why would I ever?

That wasn't my point. You handpicked my words :P I never talked to how often the phenomenon repeats itself on Twitter (or, for that matter, other outrage outlets).

Even if you have 1,000,000 comments, actually, especially when you have 1,000,000 comments, making a "journalistic article" with three handpicked (yes, handpicked, since they were singled out by the author) comments alone is pretty close to self-referential.

Same as you may have an epidemic outbreak of flu: writing an article about it backed with data on the extent of the outbreak is journalism. Writing an article titled "Massive flu outbreak" based on five handpicked twits by people complaining about having the flu is something else... It's... what we have these days, basically.

And notice that in the example the epidemic is happening either way.

The tweets are not supposed to be a sample but examples in the case of the article.

But indirectly, those 3 tweets are reprentative of the large uproar due to the women characters.

This is why I pointed to the youtube comment section to show that the content of those 3 tweets are widespread.

But then again, this thread has no point anymore as everyone is just arguing for their pride by digressing so far from the actual point that it's just become absurd

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

7 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

But then again, this thread has no point anymore as everyone is just arguing for their pride by digressing so far from the actual point that it's just become absurd

But, my friend, why do you do exactly that then? 9_9

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, there were also spies, women hidden as men, and also some others.  But, more men did fight than woman throughout the war.

Can't really hide in the military as a man as all soldiers go through physical exams before basic and also shower shit and shave together. Being a spy =/= being a soldier on the front line and not sure outside of the french resistance all the spies were male. Unless a women wanted to evesdrop while making coffee for the officials. Women weren't on the front lines expect in the two situations and even then they accounted for less then 1% front line combatants.

6 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

They were about 2,5% of the US army and considering the low death count, most of them weren't on the front lines.

Probably nursing/logistics or in the factories. Never on the front lines in a combat role that's for sure.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Fair enough.

Note that I used a link and not embedded for the reasons you mention: I find it difficulty to discuss my assertion here, that many people that are reacting negatively to this are disingenuously doing it under the pretense of historical accuracy when it seems fairly transparent that their disagreement is political in nature, as it's often the case with EA games and their decisions on inclusiveness.

But I think that's about as much as I can say on the subject publicly on the forum.

I would actually argue that it is DICE themselves that decided on the woman. A lot of the changes made to BF1 that were meant to make it more casual were decisions made by DICE and not EA like many of the people up in arms about it were trying to assert. Developers have a lot more authority over their game than the publisher.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

10 minutes ago, 2FA said:

Developers have a lot more authority over their game than the publisher.

NONSENSE!!! [grab pitchfork]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The inclusion of a woman on the box art is in fact part of an agenda. EA has been hearing the endless complaining from feminists for higher female representation in games and silicon valley / most game studios are heavily left leaning. So yes this was done on purpose to appease feminists.

This entire realism argument is invalid. Its a video game! It can never be very realistic but I think that generally Battlefield has done a fair amount of work to appear as a legitimate recreation of WW2 in video game form.

It would be not typical to see a female soldier on the front lines as depicted on the box art, that is a fact. Yes of course they served in the military, but so did fat people. Can I demand that fat people are more represented? Oh wait I'm giving them ideas...

Edit: Should point out that I don't think it matters either way, I don't even play battlefield, and if I did it wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the game.  But it's still clearly politically motivated.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

SWEET!

Honestly BFV is looking to be a good one, Allegedly no seasons pass, No Loot boxes,  And i can pick the number of gonads / boobs i have! Cant wait to be a girl with a MG42!

15 hours ago, Sauron said:

So ironic that these people are the same ones complaining that others are "too sensitive" and "easily offended"...

This.  I also love how they claim it's the work of SJW's while complaining that it's disrespectful to those who served, thus speaking about social justice.

Love those salty tears.

It's a video game...lmao at anyone being legit offended over women doing the pew pews.

17 hours ago, samcool55 said:

WTF DO THEY WANT?!

No girls, "that's sexism! girls exist!".

Girl on the cover "Unacceptable! Not accurate!".

Geez, make up your mind.

I'm all for girls in games, i mean if you are a girl, you should be able to play as a girl. Imo you should be able to have the option, but that's it...

Also i prefer to look at a female butt instead of a male butt but whatever...

Worth noting that it's not just a single group that's complaining. One group is sensible and understands history the other shoves it's agenda down everyone's throat.

Wow 13 pages over prosthetic limb woman. DICE/EA give your marketing teams a super bonus and a raise please :)

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

42 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

It's a video game...lmao at anyone being legit offended over women doing the pew pews.

To be fair, just saying "It's a video game" doesn't mean you can do anything and all will be forgiven. That being said, this case seems very far fetched. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

18 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

This day in age. Anything you do, anything you say, anything you believe in, anything you don't believe in...somewhere, someone will be offended.

It was always like this, but because of internet we hear them complaining, even if we don't want to.

8 hours ago, Serin said:

Suddenly I'm interested in BF5.

If only to unsettle the fragile.

haha yeah, I mean I would have gotten the game anyway but now I'm DEFINITELY playing as a female character. :D

Who gives a damn honestly? A game is a game. Heck for all I care, the German women in that game could be dressed in BDSM gear (do it).

2 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

Wow 13 pages over prosthetic limb woman

Look, here's the thing. The prosthetic is just stupid. The women thing is so female players can fantasize about being there, which given the multiplayer aspect is perfectly fine. But the prosthetic is silly and is literally just there so they have an expanded set of options that they can sell more cosmetic micro-transactions through, whatever form those end up taking. It akin to being able to run around as a peg-legged 17th century pirate in the middle of WWII.

2 hours ago, NMS said:

Who gives a damn honestly? A game is a game. Heck for all I care, the German women in that game could be dressed in BDSM gear (do it).

Only if they get some weird underground German electro-metal group to do the soundtrack.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Well, this is actually wonderful :)

BFV.png

He is sooooo WWII :)

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

Just to piss them off even more they should add a dragon and a wizard. :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, veli2501 said:

haha yeah, I mean I would have gotten the game anyway but now I'm DEFINITELY playing as a female character. :D

with prostetics EVERYWHERE. like i want my character to have a missing eye, leg prostetic and arm prostetic just to tea-bag everyone that hates on the game because of it

Spoiler

no offense intended to people who actually have prostetics or other de-abilitating conditions

1 hour ago, Tic-Tac said:

Well, this is actually wonderful :)

BFV.png

He is sooooo WWII :)

Founder of the Berlin Express (Moscow-Berlin)

i want decals on vehicles now. Berlin Express on all the russian vehicles

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

To be fair, just saying "It's a video game" doesn't mean you can do anything and all will be forgiven. That being said, this case seems very far fetched. 

when wasnt BF games far fetched. including equipment and so fourth. just look the historic fiction in BF1. BF4 makes no sence and more. Did they ever claim these games were historically accurate and realistic? it baffles me somewhat what people expect from a fictional game. there is a point when realism ruines the pace of the game. and BF is not fit for realism nor historical accuracy.

Now EA give me my S-51 self propelled artillery

17 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

LMFAO WHAT?

BF1 is one of the least historically accurate historical games I've ever played lol.

Hey that's what they said

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

when wasnt BF games far fetched. including equipment and so fourth. just look the historic fiction in BF1. BF4 makes no sence and more. Did they ever claim these games were historically accurate and realistic? it baffles me somewhat what people expect from a fictional game. there is a point when realism ruines the pace of the game. and BF is not fit for realism nor historical accuracy.

Now EA give me my S-51 self propelled artillery

Still can't believe how devastating the S-51 used to be in WOT before the great rebalance.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL