Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

people these days need to grow some balls. its a sign of wealth when we can complain about trivial things like this. if youre seriously outraged about this then you clearly have nothing more important going on in your life.

its only the people that go trough shit every day that dont complain about little stuff like this. to me that means if youre one of those people that are outraged about every litlle thing then you havent worked a day in your life. and usually im right. people need some perspective. but back to the point:

i think the question is: is battlefield trying to be historically acurate? and looking at past games i dont think so. they feel more like the first captain america movie. yes they may play during some historical war/time but mostly because it adds to the atmosphere. at most d say they maybe inspired by it. if you want a simulation go get ARMA. battleield games like most games are a work of fiction and should be treated as such. 

that being said i do have aproblem with everyone thinking that if they do include a female charakter it needs to be sexy as all hell. please feel free to put women on the team in ww2 but please dont give them yogapants and makeup in the middle of the battlefield. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Even then, did half the people in the games exist?

They never have to my knowledge. But that was actually kinda the point. You were a soldier. No name. No backstory. You were sent there to do one job. Kill the guys in front of you and work toward a objective. Just another cog in the military machine.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

7 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

I think that in BF1 they said that they prided themselves on historical accuracy 

The other inaccuracies are either necessary for gameplay or bugs ( trench warfare isn't that fun to play )

Saying that, complaining in YouTube wont actually solve anything, as at this point the only thing motivating EA is preorders and sales after launch

Well i'm going to wait and see how good bf5 is,preordering is dumb especially after the rough bf4 launch after most of the BF youtubers shilled for EA and how much of a disappointment bf1 ended up being. The overly cinematic ''Michael Bay'' style trailer and the devs using buzzwords like ''immersion'' and ''we listened'' has me worried what is happening with the BF series after BF4.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

The tricky thing with the direction they've been taking the series (this isn't just related to BF5 either) is that the topic of war isn't really suppose to be fun or glorious.  But there are attempts throughout history to paint it that way.

So is this another one of 'those', you think?  And that there's a deliberate attempt to mislead?

I'm not sure. I really want it to be less serious and more fun. Worked for Bad Company. Don't sell it as serious. Hell rewrite ww2. Make new battles. I'd be ok with playing as axis forces on SP. Anything to do something new and fun. OFC they'd get so much media hate for that, they wouldn't get away with it because no one except gaming journalism thinks that you endorse the character you're playing as. It'd be like mw2's no russian x100

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

people these days need to grow some balls. its a sign of wealth when we can complain about trivial things like this. if youre seriously outraged about this then you clearly have nothing more important going on in your life.

its only the people that go trough shit every day that dont complain about little stuff like this. to me that means if youre one of those people that are outraged about every litlle thing then you havent worked a day in your life. and usually im right. people need some perspective. but back to the point:

i think the question is: is battlefield trying to be historically acurate? and looking at past games i dont think so. they feel more like the first captain america movie. yes they may play during some historical war/time but mostly because it adds to the atmosphere. at most d say they maybe inspired by it. if you want a simulation go get ARMA. battleield games like most games are a work of fiction and should be treated as such. 

that being said i do have aproblem with everyone thinking that if they do include a female charakter it needs to be sexy as all hell. please feel free to put women on the team in ww2 but please dont give them yogapants and makeup in the middle of the battlefield. 

I don't they they ARE historically accurate, but they try to sell it like that. I don't want them to be. And if by he sexy thing you are referring to the complaints about the arm (you may not be?), not only would someone missing an arm probably not be fighting and it seems like a forced attempt to make a "strong woyem" character, but it just defies all reality. It practically works like a robot hand in the trailer. That's not how that those things worked at all, and it sticks out like a sore thumb, like something that belongs in a fantasy game like fallout or maybe wolfenstein.

And with half of the characters on SP being introduced being female, none of them as far as I can tell are from conflicts that had any notable presence of women, yet they could have went to the russian front and had plenty to realistic scenarios to choose from.
I don't think anyone would have been more happy with the overly sexualized style of women in games for this either.  I mean as far as sex appeal goes they're all pretty good looking in BF5, but that's just how games/media in general works.
Dude from BF4 cover was pretty fuckable as well.
image.png.364bc18c5124f37348d2c155d00ec900.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Then gender shouldn't really matter as long as the objective is fictionally done.

Problem is that they WERE going after historical objectives and attempting to make a historical setting. The characters in a world war don't need massive back stories to be enjoyable. They should have their appearances be historical. If you want women or weird looking characters then place your battles in the areas where you actually would find them.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I think there should always be a female playable option in any completely developed video game with two exceptions and that's if it is a very specific role-playing scennario like The Witcher III, Halo 1 or Shovel Knight and games that aim to be historical simulations.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Having issues with accuracy ONLY WHEN IT'S WOMEN is sexism, it shouldn't be too hard to wrap your mind around that.

I wouldn't complain if they had it in a modern war setting. So that would make the reason why I don't like it is because of historical inaccuracy not sexism. It's annoying when people just jump to its sexist real fast.

It's a pretty beta thing to worry about. :P

I don't give a fuck. Chick on the cover looks nice.

Also it might blow you mind that Samus from Metroid is also female. LOL What about that?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

But, it's fiction not completely historically accurate.  So, again, it really shouldn't matter.  It isn't a history lesson, book, or a documentary.  It's a video game!

Then don't call it an "Immersive WW2 experience!" if you aren't going to attempt a realistic atmosphere.

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

But, it's fiction not completely historically accurate.  So, again, it really shouldn't matter.  It isn't a history lesson, book, or a documentary.  It's a video game!

People confuse realism with authenticity. If you want something realistic, go look at Arma for an example and its hundreds of keybinds for every little thing. BF tries to look authentic for the period the game is set while acknowledging that having an actual focus on realism ruins the fun for the majority of people.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I wouldn't complain if they had it in a modern war setting. So that would make the reason why I don't like it is because of historical inaccuracy not sexism. It's annoying when people just jump to its sexist real fast.

If all historical inaccuracies don't affect you but the women, what is it then?

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

Then you should point out every other inaccuracy rather than just women in combat.  Also, it's been proven in the past that women have hidden as men to fight in wars.  So, how is it even inaccurate?

They also add to these games, "a reimagining".  Also, immersive =/= historically accurate.  It means they are reimaging the event loosely with some form of 3D as in VR or 3D models.   Experience doesn't always mean "facts" nor does it have to be 100 percent accurate when using that word.

Yet they never used that word?

Even if they didn't for this one title the words you are so upset about aren't being used in the context that you think they are.

You can't call it an immersive WW2 experience and ignore the atmosphere where you see fit.

4 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

This day in age. Anything you do, anything you say, anything you believe in, anything you don't believe in...somewhere, someone will be offended.

And that's fine.

People seem to forget that it's ok to not believe what someone else believes.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I'm a simple man I see kotaku I close the tab.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Lmfao, EA was feeling good about themselves all like "hey guys...NO LOOT BOXES and no PREMIUM anymore!!" Lol they thought they'd be safe from the outrage...they thought. xP

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, yes they can.  

So because this one guy says that they can that means I have to agree? I mean for god sake you are redefining what the words mean.

Experience - practical contact with and observation of facts or events/ an event or occurrence that leaves an impression on someone

Immersive - generating a three-dimensional image that appears to surround the user

So they are not observing fact to create an immersive WW2 world. Now. Sell me another one.

The advantage of this trailer: it's helping us spot all the sexists.  It's not that you're automatically sexist for noting that a woman in front-line WW2 combat is unrealistic; it's when you're obsessed about that in a game franchise that's been knowingly unrealistic from day one. To paraphrase Hamlet, they doth protest too much -- they're betraying their real objections (that women exist in their video games as more than eye candy) while pretending that they're interested in historical accuracy.

13 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

If all historical inaccuracies don't affect you but the women, what is it then?

It depends on what it is. Most of the times I don't like them but they are somewhat necessary. I mean if bf1 was completely accurate then it would be over the top and your shot. Not fun at all. Now stupid inaccuracies are annoying. I don't want them in the game especially if they have no purpose. 

This might be the fastest I've seen a thread blow up like this in TN&R. Like holy cow.

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

The advantage of this trailer: it's helping us spot all the sexists.  It's not that you're automatically sexist for noting that a woman in front-line WW2 combat is unrealistic; it's when you're obsessed about that in a game franchise that's been knowingly unrealistic from day one. To paraphrase Hamlet, they doth protest too much -- they're betraying their real objections (that women exist in their video games as more than eye candy) while pretending that they're interested in historical accuracy.

Just because people want the game to be accurate doesn't mean that they are sexist. I mean again if it wasn't for the fact that it isn't accurate most people wouldn't care. I mean it's just a silly move to have them in the game. 

I'm loving how you use only one of the various definitions of experience.  It also means an encounter, not just practical contact with and observation of facts or events.  Where in immersive does it say it has to be historically accurate either?  It does, you're clinging to what you want the game to be.  It's a game, get over it.

Because it uses that part of the definition as much as the other? I should have put the other definition there I will agree and that is my mistake but it most when you are using a historical event to describe your experience then you are using both parts of the definition.

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

And that's fine.

People seem to forget that it's ok to not believe what someone else believes.

The problem is when certain people get offended, they let you know in a way that is to do everything in their power to publicly shame you in an attempt to get you to admit you're ignorant and stupid if you don't agree with their opinion.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

@valdyrgramr Let's not forget that on their website it says it's a portrayal of the events but ya know english is hard for people to comprehend even for people who speak it as a first language.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)