Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

That would be an assumption of what they're doing not factually what they are doing.  Maybe the didn't word it the way you wanted them too, but it's a work of fiction it's not a history lesson, a history book, or a historical documentary with strong facts.  On top of that even if you wanted to argue that it has to be historically accurate then it is in some sense.  Women did fight in WWII.  There was Nancy Wake, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, Gertrude Boyarski, The Night Witches, Susan Travers, and plenty of US women hidden as men to fight in the war.   So, regardless of which definition you want to use, they aren't wrong that women fought during WW2.  It's literally just sexist bitching at this point.  There were also women who didn't hide as men to fight in WW2 as well. 

Uh. I've said quite a few times in this thread that I have no problem with women in the game as long as it's done in a way that won't break the atmosphere. Put a couple of hidden women on the front lines. Give us the russians snipers or resistance fighters. I'm all for that.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Then they shouldn't make up any characters either because that's equally inaccurate.

There is a difference between the two. I mean one is writing a fictional story based on historical events. The other is just plain historically inaccurate. 

This makes me appreciate the days I had to listen squeakers on the comms in my days of playing CoD: MW.... I'd take that any day over this nonsensical drivel about  game portraying a time period being "historically accurate." Just shut up and play the game already or go buy your historically accurate game and be content

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Then they shouldn't make up any characters either because that's equally inaccurate.

I've also said that gameplay is a different point all together. I've only been talking about atmosphere. You can't tell a story or give a background to every single character on the battlefield. You can, however, get the atmosphere right. Now what would be cool is a story based in and around the russian sniper group. That's the kinda "never before seen" that I would pay money for.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

This is my understanding of it.  It's fiction and long as it is fiction the dev can do whatever the fuck they want, I don't care nor see why people care.

The argument is "We can make up fictional characters with fictional back stories and that's okay."  "Historically, there were women fighting, but goddammit if we put them in the wrong place!  Only that is historically inaccurate because women!"  It's not a fair argument it is literally sexist no matter how you spin it.

How is that sexist? It was a war with over 24 million military soldiers dead. How in hell are you going to tell a story for each and every one of them? The appearance of the characters is part of the atmosphere. I mean for fucks sake IM CALLING FOR ACTUAL HISTORICAL STORY LINES THAT HAVE WOMEN AS THE FOCUS.

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

This is my understanding of it.  It's fiction and long as it is fiction the dev can do whatever the fuck they want, I don't care nor see why people care.

The argument is "We can make up fictional characters with fictional back stories and that's okay."  "Historically, there were women fighting, but goddammit if we put them in the wrong place!  Only that is historically inaccurate because women!"  It's not a fair argument it is literally sexist no matter how you spin it.

You can say it's sexism all you want but that doesn't make you right. People can be mad about it being historically inaccurate if they want and that doesn't make it sexist. 

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I think you missed where I originally said it wasn't directed at you or your own argument, the sexist bit.  Go to the very first page.  One guy was arguing that no men are in factories in that game they haven't played yet, another bitched because a woman was on the cover, and another demanded all women be removed from the game in the deluxe edition calling them thots.  It's not about historical this or that it's just a bunch of whiny sexist guys who don't know their history at all.

Those guys are either trolls or sexist. And yeah I see that know. I like historical atmospheres because otherwise it would turn into a documentary and that just wouldn't be enjoyable. The problem is when that is being called sexist when many of the people who agree with me are being called that when we are calling FOR women in the game. Just done differently than this.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

I wouldn't complain if they had it in a modern war setting. So that would make the reason why I don't like it is because of historical inaccuracy not sexism. It's annoying when people just jump to its sexist real fast.

It's more annoying when people try to hide behind "muh accuracy" when it's clear they never cared until it was about having women in the game.

"We want more women in games!"

gamers: "OMG who cares it's just a game!!11!1"

*devs put women in games*

gamers:  "OMG they're ruining our precious, otherwise 100% historically accurate art with historical inaccuracies!"

Making a fuss about an gameplay wise indistinguishable ingame character being nominally female in a multiplayer game where you can hit planes with an RPG and your health regenerates is ludicrous and yes, sexist - because clearly you wouldn't mind if it were anything other than a woman being historically inaccurate. As others pointed out, the maps are wrong, the weapons are wrong, the vehicles are wrong , THE PHYSICS are wrong and nobody cares - but a woman??? Oh dear, we can't have THAT particular inaccuracy, can we now? Oh please...

If having female characters is such a deal breaker to you, don't buy it (personally I wouldn't have anyway) but stop pretending it's about historical accuracy.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

"If all the men in this game aren't back home working on factories I'm going to be pissed."

... OK, would that be it?

5 hours ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

The problem lies in the fact that a norm was transcended and the norm was having a man on the cover and playing with male characters

The true norm is to be outraged. Be an outraged feminist. Be outraged at feminism. Be outraged at excessive outrage if you must, but be outraged at something or you are less of a human being.

After all, isn't that what Twitter is for? I don't use it so I wouldn't know, but I don't personally experience that much outrage in my everyday life. I'm exposed to it mostly through news outlets, and news outlets mostly cite a few handpicked twits to base their outrage reports (5/5 journalism, would copy-paste again).

58 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

The problem is when certain people get offended, they let you know in a way that is to do everything in their power to publicly shame you in an attempt to get you to admit you're ignorant and stupid if you don't agree with their opinion.

The most recent example of special interest groups making publishers or companies cave to their demands is that Steam visual novel ban, a few get offended or the company is afraid someone might get offended so make huge changes that affect everyone instead.

Just play the game idiots , it's not a war simulation. technically it is, but you get what i mean.

Details separate people.

You know what I was thinking during the trailer... cause obviously men or women with limbs missing wouldn't be deployed.  I'm thinking she's a french resistance fighter, or some civilian fighter in some aspect

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The most recent example of special interest groups making publishers or companies cave to their demands is that Steam visual novel ban, a few get offended or the company is afraid someone might get offended so make huge changes that affect everyone instead.

Which has nothing to do with BF5 having women in it... or are you telling me that's a "huge change that affects everyone"?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

22 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

cite a few handpicked twits to base their outrage reports

check the youtube comment section un the BF5 Trailer, there is no hand-picking here. Everywhere your eyes go, it's complaining about wahmen

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

11 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

You know what I was thinking during the trailer... cause obviously men or women with limbs missing wouldn't be deployed.  I'm thinking she's a french resistance fighter, or some civilian fighter in some aspect

You're not allowed to used logic here, just outrage

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

You're not allowed to used logic here, just outrage

But I have actual shit in my life going on to be outraged at.

Plus, again, iirc, she wasn't wearing a US patch or UK, or even German.  Which led me to believe she is a resistance fighter of some sort.  

I honestly really don't care either way.  Everyone plays Battlefield for the multiplayer.  You either love or hate their campaigns, and they always have some flaw.  Just average (but Imo fun) like in BF3, boring and dull like in BF4, or really great but criminally short like in BF1.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

5 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

My god who actually cares...

Its an arcade shooter. Historical accuracy is already out the window. Having a female PC doesnt matter.

You mean jumping out of an exploding Jet Fighter, falling into a Helicopter mid-flight, boarding it, gunning down 25 enemies, then as the Helicopter crashes, jumping out at the right moment to land ON a moving Humvee isn't historically accurate?

Like for fucks sake - has any of these people ever played a Battlefield game? Even Battlefield 1942 wasn't historically accurate. None of them ever were.

They're marginally more accurate than - say - Call of Duty, but that's not saying much...

5 hours ago, XenosTech said:

BF1 was too historically accurate

LMFAO WHAT?

BF1 is one of the least historically accurate historical games I've ever played lol.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Im all about equal rights and everything. But I dont like games pushing something just to please the SJWs.

It will come to a point where we will never get a historicly accurate movie or a video game just because they will be scared of getting attacked by them.

MAIN BUILD!

6 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Your profile picture has a car, I'm a eco kind of guy, that offends me, remove it or I'll erm-.. find something to flame you with......... 

/s

Or change the law so he can get arrested when you are offended, much more effective.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You mean jumping out of an exploding Jet Fighter, falling into a Helicopter mid-flight, boarding it, gunning down 25 enemies, then as the Helicopter crashes, jumping out at the right moment to land ON a moving Humvee isn't historically accurate?

Like for fucks sake - has any of these people ever played a Battlefield game? Even Battlefield 1942 wasn't historically accurate. None of them ever were.

They're marginally more accurate than - say - Call of Duty, but that's not saying much...

So if Luke Skywalker appeared in the trailer, jumped up onto a plane and cut it in half with his lightsaber, would that be fine, since it's just a game and it isn't 100% realistic? Or would that break the immersion and the suspension of disbelief? 

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

6 hours ago, TimeOmnivore said:

What's funny is that these people are complaining about historical accuracy, when women actually did fight in WWII.

Barely. To my knowledge it was mostly french resistance fighters and one platoon of all female Russian soldiers. First group was out of need the second disbanded cause they sucked.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

6 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Women were not deployed in front line combat roles in WW2 other than for the Soviet Union and resistance fighters, these are the facts. Having a disabled British female soldier in the game is just embarrassing pandering to SJWs, and looks to be working judging from the likes of OP relishing the "outrage". While this is a very, very stupid decision from a historical accuracy perspective, it was a fantastic choice from a marketing perspective. Your average brain dead Kotaku or Polygon reader wouldn't have known BFV existed were it not for this, and they'll probably view buying the game as some kind of duty to prove they are an ally of SJW garbage.

Wait the women in the trailer is disabled? Lol Back then no disbaled people would even be in the military much less fighting on the front line.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

42 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

So if Luke Skywalker appeared in the trailer, jumped up onto a plane and cut it in half with his lightsaber, would that be fine, since it's just a game and it isn't 100% realistic? Or would that break the immersion and the suspension of disbelief? 

If that happened I'd probably buy the game.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Barely. To my knowledge it was mostly french resistance fighters and one platoon of all female Russian soldiers. First group was out of need the second disbanded cause they sucked.

They were about 2,5% of the US army and considering the low death count, most of them weren't on the front lines.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus