Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

they don't, cause bj is a man

Well, yes, You saw the point I was making.
The only disturbing variable is obviously the woman, but it's always masked under that historical inaccuracy pretext.

It's absurd, everybody is an avid historian now?

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

23 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

What about battlefield bad company 2 which is reputed as one of the best campaigns in Battlefield history although being lighthearted?
What about Wolfenstein?
What about Aldo's squad in Inglorious Bastards?

Do you feel the same way about all those?

Never played any of the Bad Company games, so cannot really comment.

Wolfenstein, yes it is making light of WW2, BUT: they go so far over the top with zombies, paranormal activity, etc. etc. that it becomes such a caricature, it is okay again. You are not supposed to take it seriously, and that is clear.  Same with Inglorious Bastards, they make such a parody (shooting Hitler in the face repeatedly) that nobody will mistake it for something historically accurate.

The real problem is: Battlefield V seems to be in that middle ground where they pass it off as a somewhat realistic depiction of WW2, while infusing it with so many non-accurate elements as to make light of it.c

Battlefield V seems to want it both ways: They talk about how their "war stories" mode gives you a good sense of how the war really was, what kind of incredible "stories" were in the war (yes they actually said this in interviews after the reveal), but then they make light of it with cosmetics and "fun badass action" on the other hand. 

I either want Verdun/Battlefield 1942 (total realistic) or Wolfenstein (totally over the top parody). This middle ground rubs me the wrong way and is realistic enough that kids will think that is actually how the war was. Kind of rewriting history. Which is dangerous and not cool.

(and I am not talking about having women in it, I couldnt care less, I actually like that they had some female scout class in BF1).

18 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Well, yes, You saw the point I was making.
The only disturbing variable is obviously the woman, but it's always masked under that historical inaccuracy pretext.

At the end of the day, if you want to believe people are really only upset about there being a woman in the Battlefield V trailer, I cannot convince you. And it is definitely possible that this is the real reason why some or many people are upset about it.

I can only say that for myself, I was disappointed in the trailer because it was like a Michael Bay or Transformers movie with a WW2 skin on it. Besides not being historically accurate, as a fan of Verdun,  BF1942, etc. it just seems like a very different type of game, and I am not looking for that. Also from a gameplay perspective.

32 minutes ago, maartendc said:

What bothered me was the apparent heavy leaning on "cosmetic customization" instead of just having everyone wear standard uniforms.

Gotta make up that loot box money somehow. I want 17th century pirates. In fact, go the whole hog and license Barbossa and Sparrow from Disney.

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Gotta make up that loot box money somehow. I want 17th century pirates. In fact, go the whole hog and license Barbossa and Sparrow from Disney.

Sadly, yes.

I would prefer if they did the Battlefield 1 model: paid Season pass, and have some cosmetics, but keep it very light. The cosmetics in Battlefield 1 were only on the guns, and even then not very noticeable. The uniforms were all standard. Not a fluorescent "death dealer" logo on the soldier jackets 9_9

I'm part of the people that are just disappointed by the trailer in general. There being a women is the least of my concern. The trailer was just a jumble of mess.

There was no iconic music to build up tension (present in basically all previous battlefield trailers), it was incoherent, and gave us zero gameplay footage. What's worse was they tried to use cinematic scenes with an HUD overlayed as if it was in-game gameplay. What on earth were they thinking...

37 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

I'm part of the people that are just disappointed by the trailer in general. There being a women is the least of my concern. The trailer was just a jumble of mess.

There was no iconic music to build up tension (present in basically all previous battlefield trailers), it was incoherent, and gave us zero gameplay footage. What's worse was they tried to use cinematic scenes with an HUD overlayed as if it was in-game gameplay. What on earth were they thinking...

Agreed.

Here is the list of things that annoyed me in the trailer:

- Jackets with fluo lettering saying "death dealer"

- Blue face paint?

- Jeeps falling out of the sky for no apparent reason

- explosions, explosions explosions

- more explosions

- 1 squad seemingly taking on the entire German army?

- hooks for hands? Comon, you would be sent home or to a hospital, not in the front lines.

- complete chaos, can't even tell how any of this would translate into gameplay.

I have to say, Battlefield 1's trailer was also pretty over the top, showing the horses, behemoths, etc. The biggest difference is that in this trailer they crammed too much action into 1 scene. Let's hope the trailer is not a reflection of the final product.

2 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

You two make me sad.

215B 183 best arty NA. Pls don't take my HESH.

did you even play  during the great age of fv 215b (183)?

4 hours ago, EPENEX said:

If Battlefield 5 was a successor to Battlefield 4 and took place shortly in the future and they decided to have female characters, I wouldn't care. I was actually kinda confused as to why Battlefield 4 didn't have a female character, you'd think all these modern Battlefield's would have at least one female. For them to add a female character in a setting that doesn't historically make sense is just SJW pandering. It ruins the game like how BF1 had semi-auto weapons everywhere. I was really hoping for a modern battlefield, but instead we get this shit. That's the third Battlefield in a row I won't be buying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_World_War_II

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Wth is wrong with all of you?

Coulda just played the game and never paid attention to this, then it would never have even been a thought

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I loved it before the speed nerf. Took forever to get my 3 marks in that RNG bucket

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I loved it before the speed nerf. Took forever to get my 3 marks in that RNG bucket

im talking pre pen-nerf and HD model update

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

im talking pre pen-nerf and HD model update

I know, speed nerf was what...a year before a pen adjustment. It was an ok tank. 

3 hours ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

It isn't that at all, others and I have explained tons of things wrong with the trailer but all you've done is ignore it just to accuse people of being "sexist" to keep the thread going in circles because we aren't accepting all the COD copy bs EA keeps shoving down our throats. I'm disappointed in the trailer overall and will wait for some actual gameplay footage and reviews from people that aren't being paid off by EA to give it a positive spin.

And it seems more like a lot of hardcore battlefield fans would rather have a game even with a tiny bit of overdone cliche'ed play like allies easily beat the axis powers rather than history being torn apart and re-written in a overly cinematic sense that casual players are likely going to believe it for fact and just to appease certain groups that get offended from everything yet don't even play video games.

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

-snip- 

I think it's sexism overlapped by a cognitive dissonance. The latter deflects the first into incoherent excuses such as concern for history.

I also think it's also the need for affiliation, so people jump on the band wagon.

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

53 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

No and it makes me sad. I played on a friends account when it had 275 and did like 5 or 6k with it. I like mine now that I have it but it's definitely not as insane.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

BF5 trailer was not as over the top in terms of historical innaccuracy. By that i mean everything shown in the movie excisted in some way. Either in prototype or as actual things that happened. 

Women, prostetics, and so fourth excisted. If you use that argument: " it was rare and one offs"

Well have fun in late world war 2 on the allied front. A lot of planes never saw a single interceptor. 

Realistic isnt what battlefield is or will be. They are within the realm of possibility for their timeline. And if you want more realism. Play "post scriptum". 

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

They've been doing this for decades it isn't a new SJW thing.  Captain Marvel was originally Shazam, Marvel sued the shit out of DC over that, and from there they created their own Captain Marvel aka Mar-Vell back in the 60s.  Now, back in the 60s a female named Carol Danvers first appeared in Mar-Vell's storyline and she was Ms. Marvel.  She became Captain Marvel recently, not for SJW reasons, but to continue a storyline.  It has nothing to do with SJW crap, but most people don't read comics who bitch about this stuff.  DC and Marvel have multi-verses, and these are just to add to current lore or for the multi-verse expansion.   People bitched when the new doctor was a woman, but what they don't know is that back in the late 70s and early 80s the writers wanted to make the doctor a woman for a storyline.  BBC shut the idea down because they felt people would whine before listening to the reason why.  It wasn't until recently that BBC stopped caring as much, so that story is now taking place.  Oh, btw did you know that Thor also has a horse version named Beta Ray Bill?  He's an alien, just looks like a horse.  They're not changing the characters as the characters still exist in the lore it's the job title that changed for the sake of lore and multi-verse expansion.  They've been doing this since the 60s.  e.e

I actually read more comics then i should, but I only read DC, so im not fully informed about marvel stuff.

MAIN BUILD!

33 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Supergirl[his cousin]

"the last Krytonian". 

Also, he has a cousin.

'cuz reasons.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

So they caved to the "BuT We WaNt FeMaLeS In Bf5 EqUaL RiGhTs" yadda yadda

gotcha.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

So if they wanted to do a different WW2 game why didn't they just focus on the Japanese invasion of China and India? Instead, we get this retarded abomination of a game. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Fuckkk i cant wait to play, I want my MG42, the MG4 is a nice toy but its just a big AR, this is a buzz saw baby!

21 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

To be fair, just saying "It's a video game" doesn't mean you can do anything and all will be forgiven. 

Actually, it does. You can make a Crusades game where an army of christian Plutos travel to Middle East to take Disneyland from Sultan Goofy.

11 hours ago, MMKing said:

50 000 000 to 80 000 000 people died. Millions of people still remember this war, million of people still live with injuries related to the war. EA is using, by far the deadliest conflict in human history, as set dressing, with no consideration or respect to historical accuracy i might add.

I'm not just referring to the presence of a seemingly British woman on the battle field. Almost everything about the trailer is in very bad taste in my opinion. The second world is now represented as an arcade shooter.

Have you heard of Wolfenstein 3D? :P 

But really, I'm puzzled by your last line. The whole point of this game, and a long list of other Doom clones, is to make a WW2 arcade shooter. I mean, arcade shooter is their genre, so if you choose WW2 as the setting... what are you going to get...?

10 hours ago, maartendc said:

Wolfenstein, yes it is making light of WW2, BUT: they go so far over the top with zombies, paranormal activity, etc. etc. that it becomes such a caricature, it is okay again. You are not supposed to take it seriously, and that is clear.  Same with Inglorious Bastards, they make such a parody (shooting Hitler in the face repeatedly) that nobody will mistake it for something historically accurate.

The real problem is: Battlefield V seems to be in that middle ground where they pass it off as a somewhat realistic depiction of WW2, while infusing it with so many non-accurate elements as to make light of it.c

I watched the trailer, and I couldn't find this middle ground you speak of. For all I know, one of the characters in the trailer could have been Blazkowicz himself...