BOTS ruin 3080 launch

Aspryin
3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Welp, so far the aftermarket cards seem to fair better in noise vs temp than the FE...

Ok that's a fair point, I probably should check next time before making such claims. 😅

The other stuff was still mostly right! (especially pricing I suppose)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

This is kinda worse though because they won't make the FEs endlessly (although I honestly don't know for how long they will) and then everyone is stuck with fugly, hot running, power hungry and overpriced aftermarket cards...

The aftermarket cards so far run cooler than the FE, the TUF 3080 also is at the same price as the FE card, the cooler look is subjective but I'd rather have lower temps, and after seeing the FE teardown it's overly complicated just to hide screws and connectors.

3 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I wanted to order the Founders Edition model - couldn't, first it was unavailable and then immediately went Out of stock.

Ordered the ASUS TUF Gaming one instead, for the same MSRP price. According to Hardware Unboxed it's better in every way than the FE, so that's nice.

Did this card sell out instantly too or were you able to buy it easily? Because I'm waiting for the 3070 to come out but I'm afraid I might have to look for ones that aren't the founders edition.

People really surprised that massive fin stack and triple fans beat a fancy dual fan thing?

2 minutes ago, Numo said:

Did this card sell out instantly too or were you able to buy it easily? Because I'm waiting for the 3070 to come out but I'm afraid I might have to look for ones that aren't the founders edition.

Looks like aftermarket cards are still available here, but all the good deals are gone so most of the stupidly expensive models are still in stock.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The aftermarket cards so far run cooler than the FE, the TUF 3080 also is at the same price as the FE card, the cooler look is subjective but I'd rather have lower temps, and after seeing the FE teardown it's overly complicated just to hide screws and connectors.

Ok ok I jumped the gun a little, my point was more like if someone wanted the FE cards they're kinda screwed (and were from the get go)

Generally it's definitely better to wait of course - even when reviews and such aren't always reliable they at least get temps and such right most of the time.

And thanks for the vid, I haven't seen a single review yet (if full reviews are even out yet)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

52 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ok ok I jumped the gun a little, my point was more like if someone wanted the FE cards they're kinda screwed (and were from the get go)

Generally it's definitely better to wait of course - even when reviews and such aren't always reliable they at least get temps and such right most of the time.

And thanks for the vid, I haven't seen a single review yet (if full reviews are even out yet)

I like the FE cooler it's a significant change from their 20 series cooler, but yeah Nvidia really screwed the launch much worse than the 20 series since there's not even any pre-ordering. I haven't seen any mentions of anyone really getting one.

I agree it's worth waiting to see how all the cards compare, I'd definitely wait to see what AMD has as well.

But I thought the AIB cards would be awful before I looked at a few reviews, so far gaming performance seems to be on par with the FE, though for some reason the EVGA XC scores slightly lower in benchmarks.

Nvidia never intended to sell us the RTX 3080 for $700 this year. The launch was obviously intended to preempt PS5, Xbox One, and AMD GPU launches.

How little must supply have been that nobody saw an “add to cart” button?! Other items on Nvidia’s website have a order quantity limit of 2. So Nvidia wanted the launch to unfold this way.

I’m gonna not watch any Nvidia RTX 30s content for a while.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Why are people angry at Nvidia for something they can't control?

Some shops here in Sweden have limited the number of RTX 30 cards you are allowed to order* so clearly shops like Newegg could have done that if they cared about who bought the cards, but they clearly don't. They get paid regardless.

And I don't think you can blame Nvidia for not enforcing that type of policy either. 

*"Du får köpa max 1st av denna product!" = "You're only allowed to order 1 unit of this product".

If you try to order more than one you get an error message saying that the product is limited to 1 per address.

That, and having a simple button to click, "I am not a robot" as well.

It's stupid how entire stocks of hundreds per brand disappeared in the UK within 3 minutes.

Luckily a friend managed to get a Palit branded 3080, albeit at £739. Gotta love the price increases for AIB cards over the Founders.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

In reality, this happens because, at least in the US, we've made the one effective thing retailers could do to combat this a serious federal crime. Instead of calling increasing prices in response to higher demand "business" we call it "gouging" (to be fair, other things fall into the definition of "gouging" to. Other things which are legitimate abuses and should be crimes.)

If that wasn't the case retailers could start increasing the price themselves when they see market loads like this. They could even do it automatically (for example, to combat or f**k the owners of bots. Read: To promote the fair distribution of goods in a free market)

But whatever, let's just blame Nvidia because it's the easy thing to do.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

meh, going to wait what AMD has in stock, and depededing on how they fare will decide what to pick. If the balls ends up on Nvidia's turf, just gonna order from their site, no overcharge, probably will just have to be patient as always.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

i made an account here just to post about this, is is possible to see a spotlight on this in a WAN show/techlinked or a video in the future, or even just a tweet from LTT, other big tech youtubers about this? maybe for some sort of action to be taken by the companies, it's probably going to happen again for the other launches, as well as big navi. then again nvidia probably doesn't care b/c sales = sales, but bad PR they might have to do something

they're not even trying to hide it

https://twitter.com/BounceAlerts

4 hours ago, porina said:

Is there any evidence of bots or just speculation?

I've been looking around, and right now I only know of one report of someone managing to complete an order. I don't know them, where they are of where they shopped at. But it was at a forum where people are dying to get benchmarks on software that'll never be used on mainstream reviews, so we'll know soon enough if they got their card.

I reported about 100 listings on eBay, and they all appear to be listed by three sellers under multiple accounts. like, literal copy-pasta's of the listings.

Been planning my new build for 2,5 years now with multiple iterations. With Zen3 and Ampere this is the time I decided to pull the trigger. In december- because I was so sure that everything would be sold out/overpriced at launch. Plus I want a Strix card and I expected them to release a month or two later again. 

In the meantime I‘m renovating my gaming room and office 👌

but it‘s a shame that everyone who wanted to buy on launch day got screwed like this

Imagine having to pay a guy in India or Pakistan to make a bot so you can spend your money on a graphics card. 🤣

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

https://twitter.com/BounceAlerts

I’d recommend scrolling down on this Twitter feed. Definitely bots involved here

It looks like bots got them all, with no limit on how many cards they could buy.

Not even a pre-order from Nvidia with a limit of 1 or 2 cards, or a captcha at checkout, of course it wouldn't stop them but at least some kind of limit at checkout would've been something.

This is irritating, stupid, and the people behind it are cash-grabbing morons.

BUT....

Your current graphics card has served you for however long. It will serve you for another few months. You do not need a 30-series card right now. Just have some bloody patience.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Your current graphics card has served you for however long. It will serve you for another few months.

You are correct.

for me the only urgency is that I’m borrowing from a friend so I do need a new GPU.

My main issue is why this went out of stock though

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Nvidia is manually reviewing the orders to try and weed out the bots

https://www.pcmag.com/news/nvidia-is-manually-reviewing-rtx-3080-orders-to-stop-scalpers

“At 6 am pacific we attempted to push the Nvidia store live. Despite preparation, the Nvidia store was inundated with traffic and encountered an error,” the company added. 

Nvidia was able to address the errors and begin taking orders normally, but the company is indicating that “bots and scalpers” have tried to buy the product as well.   

“To stop bots and scalpers on the Nvidia store, we’re doing everything humanly possible, including manually reviewing orders, to get these cards in the hands of legitimate customers,” the company said while adding: “We apologize to our customers for this morning's experience.” 

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

32 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It looks like bots got them all, with no limit on how many cards they could buy.

Not even a pre-order from Nvidia with a limit of 1 or 2 cards, or a captcha at checkout, of course it wouldn't stop them but at least some kind of limit at checkout would've been something.

There are some absolute minimums that could be done:

1) Limit quantities per seller

2) Limit quantities over time (eg if there's 1m cards, push 1000 cards every hour)

3) Limit quantities to shipping address

4) Limit quantities per payment method

5) Don't give a shipping date until actually shipped (you can not sell pre-sales on eBay without a guaranteed ship date within 30 days.)

29 minutes ago, Athan Immortal said:

Nvidia is manually reviewing the orders to try and weed out the bots

https://www.pcmag.com/news/nvidia-is-manually-reviewing-rtx-3080-orders-to-stop-scalpers

Provided this isnt lip service you have to give them credit for at least attempting to address the issue

Oh well because I wanted more VRAM and something around 3070 speeds is fine for ultrawide 1440p.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

I contacted a reputable electronics distributors and asked them if they have any GeForce 3080 in stock. This is what they told me: (If you recognize who they are, please don't share their name. I don't want their honesty to be punished.)

image.png.d2a4e9787d6a968a0fe13bcf4dfb954e.png

I bet I wasn't the only one to ask this question.