BOTS ruin 3080 launch

Aspryin

this year could be big for amd if they can make a 3080 competitor and if its true that samsung 8nm yields are that terrible

Just now, jaslion said:

Google captcha + limited purchases for each account + only x a address + session checks would stop a lot of this trouble.

There are workarounds for all of those and you can be sure those who make it their job have everything they need to defeat it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

34 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

Not the full story. I ran bots for nvidia and bestbuy and didn't hit. Stock was so limited most bots didn't even hit.

This gives credit to the rumor nvidia purposely made stock low so aib's raise prices with supply/demand all while having their cards listed for cheaper but still out of stock. Greed people this is turning me away completely from supporting nvidia in the future....rumors looking to be true....

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

There are workarounds for all of those and you can be sure those who make it their job have everything they need to defeat it.

Yup that is true. If a person wants them enough they'll get them.

People were bound to get angry at this launch no matter if there were bots or not. NVIDIA just put out so little stock for launch it might as well have been a paper one.

I am lucky that my supplier is a partner of Nvidia,and they have systems against bots.

They are asking for 720€ per unit,the cards are on their way to their warehouses.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Really hope this isn't the case but rumors are starting to look true 🤔😤

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

3 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Really hope this isn't the case but rumors are starting to look true 🤔😤

I doubt that. I think that would be a very risky move and I don't exactly trust Moore's Law Is Dead

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

29 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

I doubt that. I think that would be a very risky move and I don't exactly trust Moore's Law Is Dead

No, MLID is correct. It's just not Nvidia doing the inflation.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

That's fair criticism. 

If it happened on Nvidia's own store then I get that people are pissed. A lot of people seems pissed at Nvidia for the cards being sold out in other stores though.

What do you mean? Would you rather they delayed the launch and just had a bunch of cards sitting in a warehouse until the supply reached some arbitrary limit and then released them? That's probably what they already did and they still didn't last. Saying that they should have delayed the launch to try and get a bigger supply is basically just saying "I didn't get one so therefore nobody should be allowed to have one".

You waiting a month until the supply has stabilized or Nvidia having the cards in a warehouse for 1 month more makes no difference to you. 

yes i would, that is how you launch a product, you first accumulate then launch, its how the consoles do it, its how everyone does it, of course its always a guessing game, its not a exact science but, they could have done much better than this

I might sound philosophical but this is a clear illustration our societies with people rushing to buy a super expensive piece of hardware just because it just got released, and crying because they can't wait a few weeks or months to replace their "old" high end piece of hardware. Well I'm pretty sure these $1400 listings will find a lot of takers so GG.

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

yes i would, that is how you launch a product, you first accumulate then launch, its how the consoles do it, its how everyone does it, of course its always a guessing game, its not a exact science but, they could have done much better than this

...maybe I am misunderstanding, but using consoles as an example isn't exactly great as they have the exact same issue of selling out and having it scalped for a higher price (remembering in the Wii/PS3 days it took months to get it).

All of this is just an optimization thing...there is only so many cards that could be made at one time (yes more factories could be built or could be repurposed but that then means added costs and less supply of the other product you sacrificed the manufacturing for).  It's all about the balance between the demand over time and the added cost of filling all the demand.

e.g. They could have delayed the launch and stored more stock, but that means they release a card 3-4 months later (I would prefer the cards to hit the market sooner than later)...they also would have missed the Christmas season.  It's also about the perception, if they released enough for every consumer at launch then there would be less press coverage over the next few months.

I am curious about the "bots" claim though...I could see bots buying a majority, but realistically how are they suppose to prevent that?  (1 person with a bot could realisically buy 10 easily...switching around their IP's and having it delivered to separate PO boxes/neighbours etc)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

2 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

It's almost like this exact same thing happened during the 20 series launch, and somehow people didn't expect it to happen again.

But that would be ridiculous.

"This never happened before, yet here we go again."

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

This gives credit to the rumor nvidia purposely made stock low so aib's raise prices with supply/demand all while having their cards listed for cheaper but still out of stock. Greed people this is turning me away completely from supporting nvidia in the future....rumors looking to be true....

That conspiracy theory makes absolutely no sense. Have you been listening to anti-Nvidia propaganda? 

2 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

NVIDIA and other companies need to start working with Ebay to stop the reselling of their products and absurd prices.

Those prices aren't absurd. Those are the market-clearing prices. And Nvidia proved last gen that you can very much sell graphics cards at those prices, for some reason.

A monopolist (the maximum control possible in a market economy without hiring hitmen) can choose the price (and be willing and ready to supply as much as it's demanded at that price) or the quantity (and have the price adjust itself to clear the market).

Hence, what  is truly absurd is hardware companies announcing prices as if they had the supply chain to back it up, and the press parroting them, when what they are actually making decisions on, and constrained by, is production volumes.

AIB partners will charge what they may, and retailers will further charge what they can. Re-sellers are even a step further away. In-house cards at insufficient stock are just publicity stunts to get a nice perf/$ in the charts

I, for one, support LTT's recent trend of at least referring to "current US retail pricing" when making comments on perf/$ in their reviews. But even then, as you may purchase at a different time or place, you can only really take performance from those reviews, then make your own value calculations given the prices you face.

22 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I might sound philosophical but this is a clear illustration our societies with people rushing to buy a super expensive piece of hardware just because it just got released, and crying because they can't wait a few weeks or months to replace their "old" high end piece of hardware. Well I'm pretty sure these $1400 listings will find a lot of takers so GG.

me with my 980ti: :/

guess this is proof that we really do live in a society

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

rolls eyes knew this was going to happen :( 

Expecting the same will happen with the 3090.

39 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Yes it's how everybody does it, but there's never enough accumulated. Remember the PS4 launch? The switch launch? Even when they did that it took 6 months to fill the demand.

And it's not going to change becasue stocking millions of units for months in a warehouse just to spare a few spoiled brats who absolutely cannot wait for something does no good to anybody. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Yes it's how everybody does it, but there's never enough accumulated. Remember the PS4 launch? The switch launch? Even when they did that it took 6 months to fill the demand.

And it's not going to change becasue stocking millions of units for months in a warehouse just to spare a few spoiled brats who absolutely cannot wait for something does no good to anybody. 

nvidia had wayyy too little supply here, there is no excuse 

Ahhh, I love the smell of the free market when a new GPU launches /s

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Anyone with half a brain should've known this would happen. Everyone should've known to prepare to have to wait a couple months longer to actually be able to buy them.

That's what's meant with. 'step up their game'.

There's no reason they couldn't do pre-orders, *1 per household* for example...

Yes there would have still been scalpers but less so.

Tho in reality of course neither retailers nor Nvidia care, money is money after all and if you're basically a monopoly you don't have to really care about "bad press" or "angry customers" either (still pretty shitty)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

This is kinda worse though because they won't make the FEs endlessly (although I honestly don't know for how long they will) and then everyone is stuck with fugly, hot running, power hungry and overpriced aftermarket cards...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yes it's how everybody does it, but there's never enough accumulated. Remember the PS4 launch? The switch launch? Even when they did that it took 6 months to fill the demand.

There's usually plenty available. You can name specific products for which this happens, for everything else in the economy it doesn't.

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If you need to stock millions of units, then you are expecting millions of spoiled brats.

Or you could stock the amount you want and price it accordingly, with prices naturally falling as times goes by.

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

and then everyone is stuck with fugly, hot running, power hungry and overpriced aftermarket cards...

Welp, so far the aftermarket cards seem to fair better in noise vs temp than the FE...

F@H

GPD Win 2