Folding PCs? Lenovo says "yep"

Arika

Oh Lenovo, you crazy kids.

image.png.ded48f64d8e0d96c46284f9c143dac75.png

The Samsung Galaxy Fold and Huawei Mate X are making foldable phones a reality, but Lenovo is taking things a step further by announcing the world’s first foldable PC.

Part of Lenovo’s Thinkpad X1 line of PCs, the device features a 13.3-inch LG-made OLED display with 2K resolution and a 4:3 aspect ratio. Because the device folds inwards, you theoretically don’t have to worry about the display getting scuffed in your bag.

That said, the quality of the display is the larger concern. Based on impressions from outlets that went hands-on with a functional prototype, the display was dim and had poor viewing angles. Keep in mind that it’s unfinished hardware — Lenovo hopes to launch its foldable PC some time in 2020.

Continuing with the hardware, Lenovo said an Intel processor powers the foldable PC. The company is aiming for a full day of use, with planned support for cellular data. Additionally, the device comes bundled with a Wacom pen and separate keyboard to improve productivity.

As promising as the hardware is, the Galaxy Fold reminded us that foldable devices are still in their infancy. Lenovo told The Verge that it’s working to avoid the Galaxy Fold’s issues. The company is also doubling the testing on its device’s hinge to ensure functionality and reliability.

Lenovo has always been one of those companies that actually release what they announce. it's not the first time they would have released a quirky laptop, their YogaBooks were always a bit of a strange product, but hey, they released them.

it will certainly be interesting to see how each company making these folding devices deals with the screen, the galaxy fold already showed that the screens can crease, which doesn't bode well for longevity or durability.

Software is a different story. Even though the device currently being shown off to press runs Windows 10, Lenovo said the final version won’t run Microsoft’s OS. That opens up more possibilities for software to better take advantage of the foldable PC’s unique form-factor.

sooo. ChromeOS. There's no other OS that would "make sense" though ChromeOS already doesn't make a whole lot of sense and given that they are asking potentially upwards of $2000 it's going to be a super niche device like most of the other premium ChromeOS devices

And unless they make the "base" much heavier that then rest of it, it's going to be awkward as hell to use as a "laptop" because of, you know...physics

image.png.246f99c75d5740401101f61f96e07049.png

https://www.androidauthority.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-foldable-pc-985874/

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And unless they make the "base" much heavy that then rest of it, it's going to be awkward as hell to use as a "laptop" because of, you know...physics

Just having to use a touchscreen-based keyboard would make it awkward and unpleasant as hell.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

alternative gag: isn't foldable PCs.... laptops??

no, its a flip-laptop. it only has a screen one one side. 

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

samsung: hey guys check this out!

samsung: crap hang on nevermind

Lenovo: hey guys!

alternative gag: isn't foldable PCs.... laptops??

That was my first thought. My second was that they would make an ultrawide laptop with the folding screen using two folds. Instead they're making a beefy folding tablet. WHY?

18 minutes ago, Napper198 said:

Why did I read this title as in PCs dedicated to folding@home?

you're not alone ...

Also isn't this just a foldable windows tablet? :s

That's called either a laptop or a foldable tablet.

Not a PC.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Foldable PCs have already existed in another form. 

It's called a laptop 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

this is great and also a really awful idea. typing would be torture but if the aspect of the unfolded thing is nice i kinda still want one

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

46 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's called either a laptop or a foldable tablet.

Not a PC.

I mean if you're really arguing semantics, it is technically a personal computer.

Is it what some enthusiasts immediately think of upon hearing "PC"? No, but that doesn't change it being one.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Someone feed that PC some parts; the poor dear is wasting away!

13.3" @ 4:3 ... That's just gross. 

I could see something like this if it were more like a sheet of paper(8.5 x 11) actually being useful.  Not OLED so much, but something more like a folding E-Ink tablet could be nifty to load up all of a students textbooks onto.  However I likely won't be interested until I can fold it into a 'paper airplane' or at least roll and unroll these screens sorta like a poster.

Great?... Yes...

Practical?... No...

Well i felt the same way when i saw people typing on a glass vs on my nokia's querty keyboards.

Look now...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Didn’t Microsoft have something like this? 

So it's a huge tablet that folds, you can watch movies on really big screen or use it as if it was a laptop. As a guy who likes tablets a lot, I dig it, but it's definitely going to be out of my budget.

A fliptop?

A lapflip?

Flipflop?

I feel i will always have reservations about these folding screens. Curve (Sweeerrrve) TVs were somethng that didnt appeal to me but i kind of get it for immersion with monitors.

I also have reservations about the longevity of these screens... a bit like how you can break a credit card in half with enough wiggling.

Hmmmmm.....

If they supply this with a monitor stand so that this can be used as an AIO PC with dedicated mouse and keyboard and you can easily take it away from the stand and use it as an "emergency" laptop then fine.

Otherwise nope, nope, nope.... dont make people type on a display. It never worked, it will never work... so many tried, so many failed.

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

oh dear lord. that would kill my fingertips with the lack of keyboard. 

It'll be like typing on a current gen MacBook keyboard.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

neat... it wont sell well and im not buying one

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It's like an oversized tablet. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So after the "Yoga Book"

Image result for yoga book

They came up with this foldable thing...I think the "Y tho" is fairly warranted here: Lenovo, like we get it: you want to compete with the Surface line...Get a real fucking keyboard ok? Even a small one, not a lot of travel that's fine just some fucking tactile feedback. Then I can justify paying you 500 and above since I could actually get some shit done in a pinch if I need to type.

If I need to bring my own bluetooth keyboard then you fucking failed already. Side note: I am finally seeing Amazon bundling the Surface go with the keyboard cover for a reasonable price so really bad timing for people thinking about a really portable secondary device.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah, and outward fold (with leather/faux) fabric cover to protect it, like the Yoga book, would at least make this folding "laptop" a folding tablet.

But as a laptop, it makes no sense. You need a physical keyboard setup (like the MS slate!). Or the size you can hold with one hand, and use the touch screen with another. A laptop tends to reach out of that.