Pirates are successfully upgrading to Windows 10 for free

The Gaige

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/29/pirates-are-successfully-upgrading-to-windows-10-for-free/

Over on these two Reddit threads in the subreddit Piracy, both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are reporting they have managed to successfully upgrade their pirated copy of Microsoft’s operating system to the latest and greatest. That part isn’t a huge surprise — Microsoft did say pirates would be able to get Windows 10 — but the fact that Windows 10 is showing as “activated” is eyebrow-raising:
pirates_win_again.png

Well it seems like Pirates win after all!

BTW, if you where a windows tester you get it free anyway!

Meh, considering the troubles I'm having with my ISP and the fact that Windows 10 has been dumbed and stripped down a shitload more than any previous Windows OS, I personally don't see the fuss about it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They might lose it once more people with the same key upgrade. I had a pirated version of Windows 8.1 until yesterday as well, but I thought this upgrade was worth 110 bucks so I just bought it. Works great so far (except for the fact that the Candy Crush icon nearly gave me a heart attack). 

Sounds like a veery good thing actually. A lot of pirates will now get genuine Windows keys and Microsoft has a big chance to make money from them through for example the app store.

Its win/win.

Among my professional peers in my network, I'm probably the only marketeer that sees alot of value in the piracy ecosystem (and I'm flamed for it)... businesses instead of trying to fight something that's impossible to be wiped without compromising people's freedom, they should just leverage it.

I understand why some people might feel like they have to pirate, for example if they cannot afford a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 at all. However, for those who pirate just because it's an option should really just buy the OS, it's a one time purchase.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I understand why some people might feel like they have to pirate, for example if they cannot afford a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 at all. However, for those who pirate just because it's an option should really just buy the OS, it's a one time purchase.

I pirated windows 7 and 8 because after so many installs ( I nuke my system frequently) it wouldn't allow me to authenticate anymore. I called MS the last time and they allowed it but the next time I needed to force my key to work they wouldn't help me. So I stole it. 

I pirated windows 7 and 8 because after so many installs ( I nuke my system frequently) it wouldn't allow me to authenticate anymore. I called MS the last time and they allowed it but the next time I needed to force my key to work they wouldn't help me. So I stole it. 

Get out of my toaster. It won't toast 'cause you're hogging its IP address.

I've experienced something similar. My Win 8.1 key wouldn't work anymore, even after trying to activate via phone. Operator I finally got in contact with was nice enough to deactivate the key and reactivate it, allowing me to re-use it (MSDNAA provided key, if it matters)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Huh, interesting. I wonder how MS will respond to this, if they respond at all.

I mean, either way cracks will appear for Windows 10, they already have actually so I doubt MS can stop this at all, but it'd be interesting if they turn a blind eye to this and allow these people to use MS services as if they are using a genuine W10 copy.

Yup. Pirated 8.1 and got 10 working for free.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

If any of you guys participated in the Windows Insider program your copy of Windows 10 will stay activated permanently as long as you're logged in with the Windows Insider Microsoft account.

Only catch is you are never on the "final build" as you'll always get a new version of Windows 10 pushed via Windows updates, its a price to pay to have something for free forever. I personally welcome it as I am always upgrading hardware in my PC. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

im gonna stick with win7 on my laptop but i have to upgrade my gaming pc sooner or later

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Lol... pirates be jelly

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

the fact that Windows 10 has been dumbed and stripped down a shitload more than any previous Windows OS

What? There's nothing wrong with Windows 10, it's a general improvement over both W7 and W8.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

What? There's nothing wrong with Windows 10, it's a general improvement over both W7 and W8.

Take note: its been dumbed down

PMSL

Actually, it isn't all pirates that were success at this. Many failed.

Is it possible that the ones who have Insider MS accounts are the successful ones?

Among my professional peers in my network, I'm probably the only marketeer that sees alot of value in the piracy ecosystem (and I'm flamed for it)... businesses instead of trying to fight something that's impossible to be wiped without compromising people's freedom, they should just leverage it.

This can be replicated in the drugs business, look at how much revenue the DEA get's to "crackdown" on dealers and cartels etc. There is a lot of money on both sides for a black market /piracy.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Hold your horses peeps they dont get a key they just get an upgrade because the activation system is broken if those pirates want to reinstall windows ever they need to do an upgrade again because the clean install from Boot doesnt work they didnt gave us any keys and machine ID thing doesnt work.If MS patches the pirated versions it means in the future if they reinstall they wont get shit reactivated, and since they dont have a key they cant do an install from USB either.

Anyway it wont be long before someone makes an activator, even if i have legit windows ill probably use that too i cant stand the upgrade process is filled with trash afterwards and i cant make a clean install when i need to reinstall.

Are you actually going to explain your position other than the forced update thing kinda, or are you just going to say "dumbed down" over and over?

Forcing updates and effectively automating another part of the OS and removing user control of it is what I mean by dumbing down, that and hiding settings so that they are more difficult to find.

PMSL

Forcing updates and effectively automating another part of the OS and removing user control of it is what I mean by dumbing down, that and hiding settings so that they are more difficult to find.

Not to mention the obviously large security issue that is forced updating. To anyone who says "no it's not", ask yourself WHY the enterprise edition comes without that "feature".

Not to mention that W10 appears to be a giant package of malware.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/418021-according-to-8chans-tech-windows-10-could-be-fairly-malicious/page-1

Won't be surprised at all when that turns out to be true.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You also said "more than any other Windows OS." Yet, you've only mentioned two things...

It's a testament to how badly MS is able to screw things up that they can make a free OS not worth it, though. That's just amazing. Windows 7 is confirmed to be the new XP at this point.

Anyway it wont be long before someone makes an activator

Actually from the Reddit threads people are using the same activator they use for Windows 7/8.1, it seems that Microsoft didn't really change anything for W10 and how it "activates". So pirates are upgrading and if they don't have an activated W10 they just use their old activator and it still works...