Pirates are successfully upgrading to Windows 10 for free

The Gaige

You also said "more than any other Windows OS." Yet, you've only mentioned two things...

It's a testament to how badly MS is able to screw things up that they can make a free OS not worth it, though. That's just amazing. Windows 7 is confirmed to be the new XP at this point.

Its quite easy to see what I mean if you've used nearly all of them (missed out on early NT versions) and seen the OS slowly get to the point that its locked down as badly as Windows 10.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Forcing updates and effectively automating another part of the OS and removing user control of it is what I mean by dumbing down, that and hiding settings so that they are more difficult to find.

http://www.eteknix.com/windows-10-will-include-tool-block-updates/

You have the same control as any other MS OS. I've lost nothing upgrading to W10. It seems the only thing getting "dumbed down" is you.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

You have the same control as any other MS OS. I've lost nothing upgrading to W10. It seems the only thing getting "dumbed down" is you.

Case and point: You need an extra 'tool' to do the same damn thing you could do from within windows update in previous OS. (Note, you could completely control updates, not just partially).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Case and point: You need an extra 'tool' to do the same damn thing you could do from within windows update in previous OS. (Note, you could completely control updates, not just partially).

Because in general, you should never have to permanently stop updates outside of mission critical environments (Enterprise version). Is there any reason the average user needs to delay updates for more than 6 months? Outside of the tool, you still have the option to uninstall updates, and delay feature patches for a few months (while keep security patches enabled), so you know that it's been fully tested. It's a null-issue.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Because in general, you should never have to permanently stop updates outside of mission critical environments (Enterprise version). Is there any reason the average user needs to delay updates for more than 6 months? Outside of the tool, you still have the option to uninstall updates, and delay feature patches for a few months (while keep security patches enabled), so you know that it's been fully tested. It's a null-issue.

You kind of just proved his point when you had to resort to "the average user...".

They have sacrificed certain things to make the OS more friendly to "the average user".

Not to mention the obviously large security issue that is forced updating. To anyone who says "no it's not", ask yourself WHY the enterprise edition comes without that "feature".

Because Microsoft has no choice. Companies won't upgrade to it if they don't have control. Simple as that.

Companies is what really is most of Microsoft revenue and marketshare, as they have great number of computers.

As discussed inside, the moronic, unfounded, without a specs of any proof what's so ever, comes with possibilities scenarios that is not the reality. Just some Linux or Apple fanboy who is pissed off that Windows 10 is getting his attention and not his favorite OS.

Anyone can do the same: Android, iOS, MacOS can be potential malware and virus delivery system!

Hackers can hack the update servers to send fake OS updates to people with malware and viruses.

Can it happen? Sure, anything is possible. Has is happened since the day the Internet was born. No.

The chances that this of happening is slim to none.

You kind of just proved his point when you had to resort to "the average user...".

They have sacrificed certain things to make the OS more friendly to "the average user".

Oh stop nitpicking. Nothing has been sacrificed, that's a ridiculous statement. Replace "The average user" with "anyone outside of a business or mission critical environment" if you're gonna be like that.

Jesus, what's with this forum's logic today?

"HOW DARE MICROSOFT FORCE ME TO PATCH ZERO-DAY EXPLOITS, UNACCEPTABLE, I WANT TO PERSONALLY DECIDE WHEN I FIX MY SECURITY HOLES"

They sacrificed security, not a good compromise. Going to laugh when it bites them in the ass.

Because Microsoft has no choice. Companies won't upgrade to it if they don't have control. Simple as that.

Companies is what really is most of Microsoft revenue and marketshare, as they have great number of computers.

As discussed inside, the moronic, unfounded, without a specs of any proof what's so ever, comes with possibilities scenarios that is not the reality. Just some Linux or Apple fanboy who is pissed off that Windows 10 is getting his attention and not his favorite OS.

Anyone can do the same: Android, iOS, MacOS can be potential malware and virus delivery system!

Hackers can hack the update servers to send fake OS updates to people with malware and viruses.

Can it happen? Sure, anything is possible. Has is happened since the day the Internet was born. No.

The chances that this of happening is slim to none.

Still not worth upgrading right now. Too many sketchy things about it right now.

Oh stop nitpicking. Nothing has been sacrificed, that's a ridiculous statement. Replace "The average user" with "anyone outside of a business or mission critical environment" if you're gonna be like that.

"HOW DARE MICROSOFT FORCE ME TO PATCH ZERO-DAY EXPLOITS, UNACCEPTABLE, I WANT TO PERSONALLY DECIDE WHEN I FIX MY SECURITY HOLES"

More like "I don't want to be forced to install something that ends up breaking my PC, or creating a security hole".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not to mention the obviously large security issue that is forced updating. To anyone who says "no it's not", ask yourself WHY the enterprise edition comes without that "feature".

Not to mention that W10 appears to be a giant package of malware.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/418021-according-to-8chans-tech-windows-10-could-be-fairly-malicious/page-1

Won't be surprised at all when that turns out to be true.

So having the OS apply updates (mainly security/stability) is in itself a security issue and leaving holes open to abuse is safer? The enterprise edition doesn't come with it because it's the enterprise edition. The logistics of updating potentially thousands of workstations and ensuring that all software is functional afterwards would be a nightmare. Giving corporations the choice of when to update is a good thing - why do you think military and governments all over the world still use XP...

Your second point came from an anonymous post on 8chan. No substance or evidence whatsoever.

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

So having the OS apply updates (mainly security/stability) is in itself a security issue and leaving holes open to abuse is safer? The enterprise edition doesn't come with it because it's the enterprise edition. The logistics of updating potentially thousands of workstations and ensuring that all software is functional afterwards would be a nightmare. Giving corporations the choice of when to update is a good thing - why do you think military and governments all over the world still use XP...

Your second point came from an anonymous post on 8chan. No substance or evidence whatsoever.

So your argument is "well if it fucks up your computer: not a big deal, corporations and governments: big deal".

Sorry but no. I'm not trusting microsoft to decide when to update my computer, because I for one can't afford to go without it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So your argument is "well if it fucks up your computer: not a big deal, corporations and governments: big deal".

Sorry but no. I'm not trusting microsoft to decide when to update my computer, because I for one can't afford to go without it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

To anyone who says "no it's not", ask yourself WHY the enterprise edition comes without that "feature".

Because updates are usually withheld due to compatibility issues -- not security concerns. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I understand why some people might feel like they have to pirate, for example if they cannot afford a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 at all. However, for those who pirate just because it's an option should really just buy the OS, it's a one time purchase.

Still, people cant affor $129 to waste on this, thats how much an average family spends per week on food. It is expensive, and if they want to do it it makes sense. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Nothing has been sacrificed? So if I install Windows 10 will I still have just as much control over my computer as I currently have in Windows 7 or 8? have I lost some options for the sake of making the OS more fool proof? I think I have, and I am pretty sure that's what the other person meant with "dumber down".

Nice strawman at the end by the way.

People seriously need to stop with this bullshit. I looked into all of the claims made on 8chan and all of them were true. People need to stop assuming that the claims are false just because they are from a website you don't like. Look into it for yourself if you don't trust the source, don't just ignore the claims and assume they are wrong.

People seriously need to stop with this bullshit. I looked into all of the claims made on 8chan and all of them were true. People need to stop assuming that the claims are false just because they are from a website you don't like. Look into it for yourself if you don't trust the source, don't just ignore the claims and assume they are wrong.

Yeah, those things do happen with Windows 10, but them being malware is a bit far-fetched. Sure, they could always be, but it's unlikely.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

More like "I don't want to be forced to install something that ends up breaking my PC, or creating a security hole".

Official LTT Conspiracy Theorist

I really hope you're a troll, no one could seriously make such an ignorant statement.

Your first point is irrelevant, it's what the deferred update setting is for. Everyone else will test, then you'll get it a few months later when you know it's been tested by everyone else. If you still don't want it, block it via the provided tool.

Your second point is just silly.

"I don't want to install security/feature updates incase it makes a security hole"

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure unpatched systems are at a higher risk of security issues than patched system.

You're welcome to sit around on a fully unpatched system via the update blocker tool if you wish. Don't complain when your data gets stolen via an exploit that was fixed months ago.

Nothing has been sacrificed? So if I install Windows 10 will I still have just as much control over my computer as I currently have in Windows 7 or 8? have I lost some options for the sake of making the OS more fool proof? I think I have, and I am pretty sure that's what the other person meant with "dumber down".

Please provide me with a list of the items you have lost control over, and how that will affect you in the day-to-day operation of your computer. You've lost literally nothing. Making it so the tiny percent of people that request the ability to block all updates have to use a provided tool is a small price to pay over granny accidentally disabling windows update and getting her computer hacked.

Please provide me with a list of the items you have lost control over, and how that will affect you in the day-to-day operation of your computer.

Disabling (not just turning them off one by one if you catch them in time or reverting afterwards with the provided, useless fucking tool) automatic updates without having to pay for the professional or enterprise version.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Your second point is just silly.

"I don't want to install security/feature updates incase it makes a security hole"

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure unpatched systems are at a higher risk of security issues than patched system.

Not always. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

hqdefault.jpg54537462.jpg

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Yeah, those things do happen with Windows 10, but them being malware is a bit far-fetched. Sure, they could always be, but it's unlikely.

It is actually if you use Microsoft's own definition then Windows 10 is spyware.

Is the Customer Experience Improvement Program spyware?

No. Spyware can collect information or act on your computer without your full knowledge or consent. CEIP does not take actions other than those described in the Customer Experience Improvement Program Privacy Statement and you can choose to start or stop participating at any time.

That was about CEIP, which was an opt-in program to contribute data to Microsoft. A lot of people are unaware that Windows 10 collects information about their usage and Microsoft uses that info for ads as well as sharing the info with other companies.

Please provide me with a list of the items you have lost control over, and how that will affect you in the day-to-day operation of your computer. You've lost literally nothing. Making it so the tiny percent of people that request the ability to block all updates have to use a provided tool is a small price to pay over granny accidentally disabling windows update and getting her computer hacked.

I have lost control over what is being installed on my computer as well as control over what personal information is being sent to companies. That's not "literally nothing".

There are a lot of ways they could have made things default to protect the granny while still giving control to power users. Giving us more options in the local security policy settings for example, and give us a warning before we change things would make sure poor granny didn't accidentally change any setting for the worse.

It is actually if you use Microsoft's own definition then Windows 10 is spyware.

That was about CEIP, which was an opt-in program to contribute data to Microsoft. A lot of people are unaware that Windows 10 collects information about their usage and Microsoft uses that info for ads as well as sharing the info with other companies.

By definition:

Spyware can collect information or act on your computer without your full knowledge or consent.

It's not spyware.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

And here I am with legit 8.1 not upgrading for at least 4 months until all the bugs are gone, and since my install is still really fresh.

I just want to find a Windows 10 crack so that I can use it in a VM and not waste one of my MSDN keys. :/

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

By definition:

It's not spyware.

I don't think most people have knowledge about the data collection going on in Windows 10. Just look at all the denial going on in the 8chan thread.

Disabling (not just turning them off one by one if you catch them in time or reverting afterwards with the provided, useless fucking tool) automatic updates without having to pay for the professional or enterprise version.

sigh

Now we're back to the start of this issue again. In what situation, outside of Business/MC, and taking into account the defer update option, would you need to disable ALL updates including security patches? It's an irrelevant option for 95% of users.

Not always. 

But in a overwhelming majority of cases it's true. 

I have lost control over what is being installed on my computer as well as control over what personal information is being sent to companies. That's not "literally nothing".

There are a lot of ways they could have made things default to protect the granny while still giving control to power users. Giving us more options in the local security policy settings for example, and give us a warning before we change things would make sure poor granny didn't accidentally change any setting for the worse.

You can opt out of all information sending afaik.

Again, even for power users there shouldn't be any situations where you are required to opt-out of all updates, including security patches. If you are worried about feature patches causing issues, just defer them for a few months so they've been properly tested. If you know for a fact that something is gonna cause compatibility issues with your system, then permanently block it with the tool.