Pirates are successfully upgrading to Windows 10 for free

The Gaige

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later, lets be honest m8s

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I'll be honest, I wanted to buy a W8.1 key and then get upgrade to W10.

But I just tried last night to get W10, and it's activated, with a non legit key.

Anyway, I'll buy a key to do a clean install.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

Tbh windows should be for free by now, i can only see lots of advantages for it being free.

Yep, especially now with Windows 10 which has ads, data mining and an app store.

Seems like the traditional model of buying ones and getting a clean piece of fully featured software is dying out.

Yep, especially now with Windows 10 which has ads, data mining and an app store.

Seems like the traditional model of buying ones and getting a clean piece of fully featured software is dying out.

"The times they are a-changin' (harmonica kicks in)"

In fairness it's been legally explored and it's been deemed rules showed after purchase may not be enforceable...

iirc the issue mainly lies with reasonability of the EULA, so long as there's nothing extreme (I.e. You must take part in a human centipede if you're randomly chosen) then it's enforceable (especially if the EULA is presented before you install/while you still have a chance to not use it.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yes I agree with you, yet piracy (namely media piracy) is a bit peculiar. The money made is not via direct sale to consumers or midlemen (like drugs... or contrafeit products) or it's not a product of third world countrys exploitation - piracy is free (at least in the p2p model)... you can say trackers profit from it indirectly from advertising and donations, but that's almost nothing in the big scheme of things.

What businesses fail to understand is that it's a way to reach out for people who is possibly interest in their product... you just need to "convert them" into paying customers, wich is way easier when you have a product in front of them - wich is fucking hard. Probably not in your first iteration of the product, since they despite showing interest to download they didn't have the purchase intent, or simply wouldn't buy the product anyway.

If the chance comes I'll add to a specific marketing strategy using trackers as a campaign driver :)

About Microsoft, think of it this way: they increased their Win10 userbase with pirate versions upgrades - now they just need to monetize them :)

Good points made, totally agree.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

iirc the issue mainly lies with reasonability of the EULA, so long as there's nothing extreme (I.e. You must take part in a human centipede if you're randomly chosen) then it's enforceable (especially if the EULA is presented before you install/while you still have a chance to not use it.

Since when did eulas ask that?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/29/pirates-are-successfully-upgrading-to-windows-10-for-free/

Well it seems like Pirates win after all!

BTW, if you where a windows tester you get it free anyway!

I was a tester how do I get it free still running tech preview

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

Can you explain me exactly how that works please? Do I have to upgrade an existing insider copy install or can I download an iso somewhere?

It's just an update for windows!

Since when did eulas ask that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HumancentiPad

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why did I even ask...[emoji30]

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Is it possible that the ones who have Insider MS accounts are the successful ones?

I'm an insider, but I can confirm that upgrading via a pirated version of 8.1 gives full activation of a retail non-insider build of Windows 10, though you can enable insider builds in the settings.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

I will try it in a VM as soon as I can. Will report back with my findings.

My guess is that if you use a method that is undetectable to WAT (such as injecting an SLIC before Windows starts) then it will just update as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

Okay I am back. Got tired of waiting for the icon to appear and just used the tool Microsoft released to force an update. It says my copy is active but I don't have the "Genuine Windows" sticker-ish icon I have in Windows 7. Don't know if that's something they don't do anymore or if something else is going on. It still says that it's activated though.

This is what I mean with the sticker-ish icon:

windows-activated-3.png

Okay I am back. Got tired of waiting for the icon to appear and just used the tool Microsoft released to force an update. It says my copy is active but I don't have the "Genuine Windows" sticker-ish icon I have in Windows 7. Don't know if that's something they don't do anymore or if something else is going on. It still says that it's activated though.

Yup.

Not here either.

44qBJE3.png

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

windows-activated-3.png

That icon was removed in WIndows 8.

Yup.

Not here either.

-image-

That icon was removed in WIndows 8.

OK then I guess it works.