Pirates are successfully upgrading to Windows 10 for free

The Gaige

So are those who upgraded pirated version got converted to testers and can't do clean installs? Or they may get broken windows if MS does some fix or something and not allow update?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So are those who upgraded pirated version got converted to testers and can't do clean installs? Or they may get broken windows if MS does some fix or something and not allow update?

I will try it in a VM as soon as I can. Will report back with my findings.

My guess is that if you use a method that is undetectable to WAT (such as injecting an SLIC before Windows starts) then it will just update as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

Not big surprise. The two most popular tools used for bypassing online activation wil result in a genuine system.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I will try it in a VM as soon as I can. Will report back with my findings.

My guess is that if you use a method that is undetectable to WAT (such as injecting an SLIC before Windows starts) then it will just update as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

Ok cool, I cba, did fresh install of 8.1 few weeks ago xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I would like to bring up the time, I think it was 7 years ago, that MS released a security update, that caused most HP systems (I think it was AMD only) to get stuck in a boot loop.  Required some pretty hefty tech knowledge to be able to fix.  MS pulled it down pretty quick, but not before something like 700-800 K people were affected.  So MS basically soft bricked a bunch of people systems.  And that wasn't the first time, and with the recent driver issues, likely won't be the last.

there are more checks now

Microsoft team

-maybe more-

insiders fast ring

insiders slow  ring

then consumers

If any of you guys participated in the Windows Insider program your copy of Windows 10 will stay activated permanently as long as you're logged in with the Windows Insider Microsoft account.

Only catch is you are never on the "final build" as you'll always get a new version of Windows 10 pushed via Windows updates, its a price to pay to have something for free forever. I personally welcome it as I am always upgrading hardware in my PC. 

This was confirmed to not be true. Insiders can opt out of testing builds

Guys... Please, all of this upset for nothing.

2hwzhfm.png

You can select this and it stops Windows Update from installing the latest updates for several months according to Microsoft when you press "Learn more"

Also as someone previously mentioned you can still clearly disable the Windows Update service in services.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Just tried this on a laptop I had lying around that had pirated Windows 8.1 Worked. I now have genuine Windows 10 on that laptop, hah.

COMIC SANS

Ok i've just checked my naughty version (same story as others, reinstalled too many times.) and under the privicy section in settings, i am unable to switch off 'send Microsoftinfo about how i write to help us improve typing and writing iin the future'. So im guessing im on technical preview. I can however change feedback from Full to Basic. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

They might lose it once more people with the same key upgrade. I had a pirated version of Windows 8.1 until yesterday as well, but I thought this upgrade was worth 110 bucks so I just bought it. Works great so far (except for the fact that the Candy Crush icon nearly gave me a heart attack). 

Interesting fact:

After you remove all the titles from the start menus, you can then drag the right edge of the start menus to eliminate the "mini-start screen," leaving a minimalist start menus.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Right now there is no difference between a genuine copy of windows 10 and the upgrade with a pirated copy other than a water mark on your desktop everything else functions properly but it may not always be that way.

Interesting fact:

After you remove all the titles from the start menus, you can then drag the right edge of the start menus to eliminate the "mini-start screen," leaving a minimalist start menus.

Oh, wow. Thanks a lot, I unpinned everything from the start menu and was left with a lot of black transparent nothing. 

ezB5UD.png

UvyIa73.gif

Hehe, gotta love my spare IGN.

Edit: And yes its supposed to be 'Dabombinable' not 'Dabobminable'.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

BTW, if you where a windows tester you get it free anyway!

Can you explain me exactly how that works please? Do I have to upgrade an existing insider copy install or can I download an iso somewhere?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If MS plays their "cards" right, they'll allow the pirates to continue believing they are getting activated so the majority of them upgrade. Then in a few weeks release a validation update that detects the pirates, and limits their system until they buy a key,....

...........but they be required to get a special more expensive key to unlock & activate their install.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

If MS plays their "cards" right, they'll allow the pirates to continue believing they are getting activated so the majority of them upgrade. Then in a few weeks release a validation update that detects the pirates, and limits their system until they buy a key,....

...........but they be required to get a special more expensive key to unlock & activate their install.

You know that wouldn't work right? They'd just go to a torrent site and an activator and be on their merry way.

What? There's nothing wrong with Windows 10, it's a general improvement over both W7 and W8.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of 10, I mean I can tolerate it but I think I still like 8.1.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Are you seriously saying that it's Microsoft's fault that people don't read the EULA/TOS before agreeing to it?

Yes because they do pressure people to install way before any EULA is ever shown: it's not the same thing to make a conscious choice of purchasing a brand new PC or a copy of Windows and then agreeing to the EULA than just bothering you with "Hey! Upgrade!" message and then spring the EULA on you. Specially if the terms and conditions are vastly different they shouldn't be allowed to pass it as just an "upgrade" if it's a vastly different product with vastly different implications.

So I am no lawyer but I do think it's more than the usually deceiving and in many places not actually legally binding EULAs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes because they do pressure people to install way before any EULA is ever shown: it's not the same thing to make a conscious choice of purchasing a brand new PC or a copy of Windows and then agreeing to the EULA than just bothering you with "Hey! Upgrade!" message and then spring the EULA on you. Specially if the terms and conditions are vastly different they shouldn't be allowed to pass it as just an "upgrade" if it's a vastly different product with vastly different implications.

So I am no lawyer but I do think it's more than the usually deceiving and in many places not actually legally binding EULAs.

Nobody has ever read an EULA accept those who wrote them.

MS's EULA has been available since the release of the first preview version on their website. The only difference in all the EULAs MS has made available is name of the product it is attached to. Your logic does not track.

Kind of like saying it the stores fault that you bought something because of a 'impulse purchase'.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Nobody has ever read an EULA accept those who wrote them.

MS's EULA has been available since the release of the first preview version on their website. The only difference in all the EULAs MS has made available is name of the product it is attached to. Your logic does not track.

Kind of like saying it the stores fault that you bought something because of a 'impulse purchase'.

In fairness it's been legally explored and it's been deemed rules showed after purchase may not be enforceable...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

In fairness it's been legally explored and it's been deemed rules showed after purchase may not be enforceable...

Oh, you will not get an argument out of me on this as I have been saying this before the ruling.  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Anyone expecting DLCs for Windows 10? It's becoming a trend for games these days...so I don't see why M$ wouldn't do it with Windows.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Anyone expecting DLCs for Windows 10? It's becoming a trend for games these days...so I don't see why M$ wouldn't do it with Windows.

DirectX DLC :P