Confirmed: Samsung will add the "notch" on their future phones

43 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Ugh, I just wonder what their flagship will look like. Hopefully with this "New Infinity" with everything under display. Maybe not initially but in time. Hopefully flagship retains no notch design, would also like to see the 'edge display' dead. 

So I guess we'll see what they bring with S10 soon. 

I doubt the notch will ever reach the S10. Maybe the iteration after the S10? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Which the Essential Phone had first, but bragging about who had a notch first is funny because it's one of the worst "features" to have. ?

9 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Which was inspired by Essential phone. Which is still probably the sexiest phone with a notch to this day

Sharp was the first manufacturer to implement notch in their devices, not Essential.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

A lot complain about the notch, but if they think for second, the "notch" is always there.  The side of the screen, is extended to, where parts of the bezel used to be.

Not really. As soon as the screen shape is no longer rectangular I have an issue with it. 

But Samsung we are perfectly fine with how you did the note 9 with a super slim chin and forehead, just stop with this notch crap

14 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Inb4 Samsung axes the 3.5mm headphone jack and replace it with USB C xD

If it does, I riot. 

I couldnt give two shits about a knotch honestly. Just keep the damn headphone jack

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

first phone to two USB-C connectors would-- oh wait ROG phone dammit

At least they still have a native headphone jack

image.png.d253cba67fc003858ac1f4c953f7d56b.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

16 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I'd like to point out how many people said they wouldn't drop the headphone jack anytime soon since they made an ad campaign making fun of it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'd like to point out how many people said they wouldn't drop the headphone jack anytime soon since they made an ad campaign making fun of it. 

Kind of a toughie, tbh. 

OnePlus made fun of companies removing the headphone jack up until the first half of the year. The OnePlus 6T ended up without a headphone jack. 

There was also an ad for the Galaxy S5 mocking iPhone users for having a sealed battery that they can't swap out. The Galaxy S6 did away with that. 

Not saying a notch will be there or a headphone jack won't be there. Just saying that ads probably aren't the best indication of future plans. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

Kind of a toughie, tbh. 

OnePlus made fun of companies removing the headphone jack up until the first half of the year. The OnePlus 6T ended up without a headphone jack. 

There was also an ad for the Galaxy S5 mocking iPhone users for having a sealed battery that they can't swap out. The Galaxy S6 did away with that. 

Not saying a notch will be there or a headphone jack won't be there. Just saying that ads probably aren't the best indication of future plans. 

was my point...since that ad was making fun of the notch 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

was my point...since that ad was making fun of the notch 

Pretty much. 

With all that said, it might be reserved for their lower end devices. The flagship Galaxy S and Note line will probably have the notchless design 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Pretty much. 

With all that said, it might be reserved for their lower end devices. The flagship Galaxy S and Note line will probably have the notchless design 

I do no understand the need for it even then. Did that thin strip at the top really bother people? Do people flood their yard to make their pool technically bigger? 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

I do no understand the need for it even then. Did that thin strip at the top really bother people? Do people flood their yard to make their pool technically bigger? 

It's because screen:body ratio has become the new bragging point for phone manufacturers. 

Everyone wants to be just that bit better than everyone else in that percentage 

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

It's because screen:body ratio has become the new bragging point for phone manufacturers. 

Everyone wants to be just that bit better than everyone else in that percentage 

like a basketball court with a pole in the middle. 

"Well at least it's regulation size even if you might run into the pole" 

muh specs 

All parts black

On 11/8/2018 at 1:14 PM, captain_to_fire said:
7 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

I find it funny when companies do this, they try and distinguish themselves from the competition, saying they won't make the same 'mistakes' as the others.

Google Pixel anyone?

'We don't set aside better features for the larger device'

Linus even said these latest two pixel models could not be more different.

Image result for pixel 3

image.png.7fa01539e30a0bbb858016f01c4e0ca4.png

It should say 3.5mm headphone jack, missing in action. And then they suggesting they're going to take 'a bite out of Apple' c'mon Google.

I really wish this wasn't the case, even if it is funny. I wish everyone didn't just blindly follow one company, in this case Apple. It leads to a real lack of variety in the market.

Damnit Samsung, you were the chosen one (no notch/no compromise flagships in the S9/Note 9). Guess I'll be keeping my S9 until this damn notch craze ends.

I'm rather squarely in the fuck notches camp.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

just have a top bezel..... the display portion next to (current) notches is effectively useless anyway. and having these tiny notches is going to look even more stupid

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

You know what, if you're going to have a notch, you may as well get your moneys worth out of it. Fill it with sensors.

In fact, why not make it so wide it covers the whole top of the phone!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

On 11/8/2018 at 4:03 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Which were set by Apple....

Insert "Apple isnt a market leader anymore" -Linus

It wasn't copied because it's a good solution technologically. It's actually just the simplest-possible workaround because they couldn't figure out another way to house front cameras, sensors and the speaker. They know people don't like notches and Apple themselves do not like them either, which is clearly proven by their ad renders of the iPhone XS:
i-apple-iphone-xs-max-256gb-gwiezdna-sza

This design is getting copied because Apple placed it on their highest-end products which is transferred to cheaper devices to give them a more "premium" appearance to attract buyers

Samsung "O" notch is retarded though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, PacketMan said:

Yeah! Like FINALLY using cristal and metal materials for the S6 (take a look to the Sony's Z and Z1, and take a look to the S4 and S5). But 5 points for the Edge version.

The S7 was the S6(S) with more power, so no copies there.

Like the weird similarities between the S8 and the LG G6! It's other's fault, not Samsung!

The S9 was the S8(S) with more power, so no copies there.

What? I really dont get your post. Are you saying samsung is copying other or copying itself?

5 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

LG G6 being first

LG G6 - 2017

Galaxy S6 - 2015

Galaxy Note Edge - 2014.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

I'm saying that Samsung has been releasing "upgrades" of their phones (S4 and S5, S6 and S7, S8 and S9...), just like Apple with their S smartphones

Sold 700 euros made of plastic (S4 and S5), unlike Sony Xperia Z and Z1 (crystal and metal), then made the S6 made of crystal and metal for that "premium" feel

Then they kept the S6 design for the S7, and it was okay, there is no really need to change the design if people like it

But they claimed to be the first to make thin bezels with the S8, despite the LG G6 being first (and the chinese phones too)

So, well, Samsung did, and will always do, look to their competitors, take THEIR ideas and claim as Samsung's

I dont think you realize how long development takes. So while LG released the G6 just months before, Samsung was already working on the S8 a year and a half earlier. 

Also companies have been doing incremental upgrades before apple did it.

9 hours ago, Emberstone said:

Damnit Samsung, you were the chosen one (no notch/no compromise flagships in the S9/Note 9). Guess I'll be keeping my S9 until this damn notch craze ends.

I'm rather squarely in the fuck notches camp.

You know, lots of people say "I'm keeping my X until this fad ends," but that's rarely how it works out in practice.  It's never just a fad.  You either accept reality, buy a device like you always would and learn to adapt... or you become That Guy who's hanging on to a 6-year-old barely functional phone, waiting for the change of heart that will never come.

25 minutes ago, Commodus said:

You know, lots of people say "I'm keeping my X until this fad ends," but that's rarely how it works out in practice.  It's never just a fad.  You either accept reality, buy a device like you always would and learn to adapt... or you become That Guy who's hanging on to a 6-year-old barely functional phone, waiting for the change of heart that will never come.

In general, not being able to adapt really only hurts the individual in most cases.

Although, the notch certainly won't last forever, as at the end of the day, it really is just a mediocre compromise required to work with current tech limitations. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.