Confirmed: Samsung will add the "notch" on their future phones

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

In general, not being able to adapt really only hurts the individual in most cases.

Although, the notch certainly won't last forever, as at the end of the day, it really is just a mediocre compromise required to work with current tech limitations. 

Yeah, it won't last forever -- it's just going to be a lot longer than a fad.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are still notches several years from now.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

You know, lots of people say "I'm keeping my X until this fad ends," but that's rarely how it works out in practice.  It's never just a fad.  You either accept reality, buy a device like you always would and learn to adapt... or you become That Guy who's hanging on to a 6-year-old barely functional phone, waiting for the change of heart that will never come.

I kept my barely functioning iPhone 5 until I had to switch carriers.

Try me.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

1 hour ago, Emberstone said:

I kept my barely functioning iPhone 5 until I had to switch carriers.

Try me.

That's brave, but at the same time... it's not likely to be a fad.

I don't really get why people bitch about notches.  We basically have bezeless displays at this point.  (Minus notch before someone goes, "ackshully") they have to put the sensors somewhere.  At the very least, somewhere where they can minimize a notch or bezel with tech that is affordable and can be mass produced right now.

Whether it's a notch or a bezel on the top or bottom, having basically bezeless phones now is cool, imo.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I'm indifferent, sitting currently on my S9 and by the time I feel the need for change they will probably figure out how to make notchless phones again ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

20 hours ago, Commodus said:

You know, lots of people say "I'm keeping my X until this fad ends," but that's rarely how it works out in practice.  It's never just a fad.  You either accept reality, buy a device like you always would and learn to adapt... or you become That Guy who's hanging on to a 6-year-old barely functional phone, waiting for the change of heart that will never come.

Which is why I strongly disagree with this idiotic argument that "if you don't like it don't use/buy it" which always gets thrown around when a company does some bad change. 

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Which is why I strongly disagree with this idiotic argument that "if you don't like it don't use/buy it" which always gets thrown around when a company does some bad change. 

Simply because it never works. 

By the time someone big implements something perceived as negative, every Tom, Dick and Harry will rush to implement the same. 

The number of people who'd care about it is far too low to have any significant impact 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I don't really get why people bitch about notches.  We basically have bezeless displays at this point.  (Minus notch before someone goes, "ackshully") they have to put the sensors somewhere.  At the very least, somewhere where they can minimize a notch or bezel with tech that is affordable and can be mass produced right now.

Whether it's a notch or a bezel on the top or bottom, having basically bezeless phones now is cool, imo.

I can only speak for myself but I'd rather have a bit thicker bezel up there so that I know that everything on my screen will be fully displayed instead of pretending that I have additional space that is cut by a notch.

Imagine you are in the cinema and you have a choice between having a slightly smaller screen that will always display the full picture or you can have it slightly bigger but there will always be a shadow of a lamp or something else in the middle of that extra space. No thanks, it will drive me nuts.

20 hours ago, Commodus said:

Fortunately the notch is considered a stopgap technology and everyone and their grandmother is aware that users want bezel-less phones so the race towards removing it gives me hope. I think that at this point even Apple is aware of the fact that the notch is their "necessary evil" or otherwise they wouldn't do everything in their power to hide it in promotional materials (the famous wallpaper which has convenient black space around the notch).

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

Fortunately the notch is considered a stopgap technology and everyone and their grandmother is aware that users want bezel-less phones so the race towards removing it gives me hope. I think that at this point even Apple is aware of the fact that the notch is their "necessary evil" or otherwise they wouldn't do everything in their power to hide it in promotional materials (the famous wallpaper which has convenient black space around the notch).

Oh, I'm pretty sure it won't be around forever.  The problem is when people act as if companies will suddenly decide notches are a "mistake" and go back purely because a handful of tech enthusiasts don't like notches.  The next step is forward, not backward, and it might take years before there's a viable all-screen solution that doesn't involve pop-up or slider mechanisms.

23 minutes ago, Commodus said:

and it might take years before there's a viable all-screen solution that doesn't involve pop-up or slider mechanisms.

I'm optymistic. They are really running out of things to improve or bank on with each generation improvement :D

I think regardless of what companies and fans on either side of the main phone OS debate think, the overall appearance and feature set is continually becoming more homogeneous...and I despise it.

Oh, by the way, I bloody HATE the notch.  That's the Nissan Cube rear window of the cellphone world.  Messin' up mah symmetry and ratios.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:18 PM, bleedblue said:

I'd rather have the standard notch over the "Infinity-O". Thing just looks stupid.

If its cheap and it works, I do not care!

On 11/7/2018 at 7:18 PM, 79wjd said:

Oh good, now people will bitch some more about another notch.

People bitch and moan, its what they do.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:22 PM, RorzNZ said:

Everything looks like an Apple conference now lol. Even sounds a bit like Jobs. Get something fresh. 

I agree.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:03 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Which were set by Apple....

Insert "Apple isnt a market leader anymore" -Linus

Apple didn't invented the notch, they made it famous and trendy.

I actually don't have a problem with the notch at all. And also the lack of headphone jacks do not bother me. But I do find it ironic when companies say they will not follow other companies for example OnePlus removing the headphone jack even though like the previous year they said they would never remove it. And if I recall and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Samsung make fun of the notch when Apple did it? It's just very ironic. It does seem like the majority of people do not have a problem with the removal of the headphone jack and addition of the notch and it seems mostly tech enthusiasts have a major issue with it.

Seems fishy, Samsung is making so many jokes aimed at apple for their notch, they talk so much about how they DON'T have notch, and now "Confirmed Samsung will have a notch"

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

On 11/10/2018 at 9:36 PM, Lathlaer said:

and everyone and their grandmother is aware that users want bezel-less phones 

Said by no one except tech reviewers -_-

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

11 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Said by no one except tech reviewers

Wouldn't be so harsh, plenty of people I know are impressed by how much of their phone is the screen nowadays. I too like how my S9 looks in comparison to the likes of Razer Phone or the Hydrogen One from RED :D Sure, it's not completely bezel-less but it's getting there.

2 minutes ago, abazigal said:

Sounds like a John Lennon song. ;) 

You can say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only. I hope someday there's no notch and the world will live as one.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, voiha said:

Seems fishy, Samsung is making so many jokes aimed at apple for their notch, they talk so much about how they DON'T have notch, and now "Confirmed Samsung will have a notch"

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Because Google and One Plus totally didn't make fun of the lack of a headphone jack and then end up with no headphone jack the following year.

Samsung making fun of the notch says nothing about them implementing a notch.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

15 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Because Google and One Plus totally didn't make fun of the lack of a headphone jack and then end up with no headphone jack the following year.

Samsung making fun of the notch says nothing about them implementing a notch.

I understand your stance, and I agree with you. But outside the corporate world that's called a b*tch move

2 hours ago, voiha said:

I understand your stance, and I agree with you. But outside the corporate world that's called a b*tch move

It is, but we've definitely seen it before.  Companies try to skewer Apple by making fun of its design decisions, realize the mocking doesn't work, then follow whatever Apple was doing.

With that said... oh, it'll be fun to see the internet commentary if the Galaxy S10 arrives with a notch and no headphone jack.  There will be more than a few would-be Julius Caesars ("et tu, Samsung?"), not to mention a lot of people insisting it's the death of the company.

Nope.. just nope.

I'll be holding to my Galaxy J7 until it falls apart or this god awful trend is over.

The bezels on this thing are already too small for my fingers which are literal twigs by the way

Without a notch to rest my thumb in while watching YouTube I'd struggle to hold it for long without losing grip or touching the screen every five seconds.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*