iPhone Xs/Max bags the top ratings from DisplayMate, DxOMark, Anandtech for Display, Camera and Silicon

RedRound2

DisplayMate: iPhone XS Max Has Best Smartphone Display Ever

DxOMark: The Apple iPhone XS Max comes with one of the best mobile cameras we have ever tested

Anandtech: Apple’s CPU have gotten so performant now, that we’re just margins off the best desktop CPUs

iphonexsdesign-1.jpg

Well the deep dive iPhone Xs reviews are in and it looks like Apple has indeed, yet again designed the best of the best components for their newest flagship.

Additionally the full concluding remarks by DisplayMate

Based on our extensive Lab Tests and Measurements the iPhone XS Max receives our DisplayMate Best Smartphone Display Award, earning DisplayMate's highest ever A+ grade by providing considerably better display performance than other competing smartphones.

DxOMark

The Apple iPhone XS Max comes with one of the best mobile cameras we have ever tested, and in many areas offers noticeable improvements over last year’s iPhone X. Both still and video image quality in bright light are excellent, with a very wide dynamic range and good detail. Autofocus and image stabilization work swiftly and efficiently, and the camera is very reliable overall, consistently delivering good results.

Anandtech

Apple’s marketing department was really underselling the improvements here by just quoting 15% – a lot of workloads will be seeing performance improvements I estimate to be around 40%, with even greater improvements in some corner-cases. Apple’s CPU have gotten so performant now, that we’re just margins off the best desktop CPUs; it will be interesting to see how the com.

On the GPU side, Apple’s measured performance gains are also within the promised figures, and even above that when it comes to sustained performance. The new GPU looks like an iteration on last year’s design, but an added fourth core as well as the important introduction of GPU memory compression are able to increase the performance to new levels. The negative thing here is I do think Apple’s throttling mechanism needs to be revised – and by that I mean not that it shouldn’t throttle less, but that it might be better if it throttled more or even outright capped the upper end of the performance curve, as it’s extremely power hungry and does heat up the phone a lot in the initial minutes of a gaming session.ing years evolve, and what this means for Apple’s non-mobile products.

Additionally researchers from National Tsing-Hua University have made another great feature on the new iPhones

In testing an iPhone XS Max, it learnt Apple’s latest OLED displays are scientifically healthier for your eyes compared to Apple’s previous LCD-based models.

Tests revealed the iPhone XS Max delivers a 20% higher MPE (Maximum Permissible Exposure) than the iPhone 7. MPE is the time before a retina will become inflamed due to screen exposure. The duration was just 346 seconds (a sobering reminder we shouldn’t stare at our displays for too long), but it easily beat the iPhone 7’s 288 seconds.

IMO it's great knowing Apple's newest devices still tops most of the important metrics of a good smartphone, and in some cases, been ahead of the competition for years (like the A12). Does it justify the extremely high price tag? Personally no, as Apple could've easily shaved off atleast a $100 off the new phones, if the iPhone X wasn't selling like hot cakes.

And about the 2018 iPhone Gates. It's stupid.

Apple is rolling out iOS 12.0.1 today that fixes the issue, so no more ChargeGate

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/08/ios-12-0-1-iphone-xs-charging-ipad-key-position/

BeautyGate happens in some low light cases where there seems to be excessive noise filtration, as Apple this year have focused lot more into computational photography, like the what the Pixel did last year. Here are two video, Jonathan Morrisons (must watch, it's hilarious ?) and Rene Ritchi who goes into a deeper dive, everything about the iPhone

Sources:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/10/07/apples-iphone-xs-max-a12-oled-display-price-cost-iphone-xr-release-date/#3f3e25e32be4

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/05/a12-faster-than-expected/

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/24/iphone-xs-max-displaymate/

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/03/iphone-xs-camera-dxomark-ranking/

It really has a good camera, one of the best, but no one should trust DxOMark. Literal pay to win. P20 Pro is the best? Please, both Pixel 2 XL and XS Max have better all around cameras. 

What I am blown away by most is the A12. Jesus Christ it's such a good chip. 

Still not worth the price though, even as a premium device. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Margins off the best desktop CPUs? So they are pretty close to i7/Ryzen 7? Where are they handing out apple shaped tinfoil hats?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

uhh excuse me what?

Anandtech: Apple’s CPU have gotten so performant now, that we’re just margins off the best desktop CPUs

Really?  I wasn't aware an iphone was close to the 2990WX.

Seriously wtf are they smoking...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm always a bit skeptical of DisplayMate and DxO, since there's a higher degree of subjectivity than I might like, but at the same time, it's not entirely off the mark.  The CPU bit also feels like an exaggeration, but there are areas where the A12 is surprisingly competitive with PCs.

My real beef, though, is that so many people have been trying to play up concerns around the iPhone XS that it's ridiculous.  Was "chargegate" a problem?  Yes, and it shouldn't have shipped that way.  Is it a universal problem that cripples the phone?  No.  From the way forums like this responded, though, you'd think that it would have been a fatal flaw.

And then there's "beautygate..." which, well, watch that Jonathan Morrison video.  So many people not only misunderstood what the XS was doing, they had no problems with its selfie quality when they thought it was coming from a Pixel 2.  Just goes to show that some people really do have an irrational hatred for Apple based purely on brand perception rather than reality.

Ya know, AnandTech could've worded their statement better.

That being said, the A12 is an incredibly fucking impressive chip and Apple deserves a lot of credit for that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

I'm always a bit skeptical of DisplayMate and DxO, since there's a higher degree of subjectivity than I might like, but at the same time, it's not entirely off the mark.  The CPU bit also feels like an exaggeration, but there are areas where the A12 is surprisingly competitive with PCs.

My real beef, though, is that so many people have been trying to play up concerns around the iPhone XS that it's ridiculous.  Was "chargegate" a problem?  Yes, and it shouldn't have shipped that way.  Is it a universal problem that cripples the phone?  No.  From the way forums like this responded, though, you'd think that it would have been a fatal flaw.

And then there's "beautygate..." which, well, watch that Jonathan Morrison video.  So many people not only misunderstood what the XS was doing, they had no problems with its selfie quality when they thought it was coming from a Pixel 2.  Just goes to show that some people really do have an irrational hatred for Apple based purely on brand perception rather than reality.

The whole charging issue honestly made me wonder "how the fuck did they miss that?" rather than circlejerking the notion that it's a shit phone because of it.

That being said, ignoring the fact that it was a problem like the other side of the circlejerk was wrong, too. It was a problem, and I dunno how they missed it, but it didn't kill the phone for me.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The whole charging issue honestly made me wonder "how the fuck did they miss that?" rather than circlejerking the notion that it's a shit phone because of it.

That being said, ignoring the fact that it was a problem like the other side of the circlejerk was wrong, too. It was a problem, and I dunno how they missed it, but it didn't kill the phone for me.

It doesn't happen in all the devices and it only happens if the screen doesn't turn on. And the bug had something to do with iOS 12 Lightning port locking system they had put in place to combat GrayShift devices. So they could've missed it, but seriously the mainstream media went bananas with it

15 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Exactly, it's somewhere in between.  The problem, of course, is that forums like LTT tend to be rabidly anti-Apple, so you don't hear the nuanced reality as often as you do the "Apple is dooooomed" cries.

36 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple’s CPU have gotten so performant now, that we’re just margins off the best desktop CPUs

I mean Apple makes great ARM SoCs, the best there are essentially....but that’s BS. If it were true x86 would have been sacked by now. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, RedRound2 said:

It doesn't happen in all the devices and it only happens if the screen doesn't turn on. And the bug had something to do with iOS 12 Lightning port locking system they had put in place to combat GrayShift devices

So it was less of a genuine fuck-up and more of an unintentional consequence of how the software works?

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Exactly, it's somewhere in between.  The problem, of course, is that forums like LTT tend to be rabidly anti-Apple, so you you don't hear the nuanced reality as often as you do the "Apple is dooooomed" cries.

The status quo on any tech forum especially one as mainstream as LTT is that when any other phone manufacturer out-specs an iPhone on paper is; "Apple is falling behind. Tim Cook needs to rename himself to Tim Cooked." but whenever Apple completely does something truly innovative, such as the A12, the sentiment is "benchmarks do not reflect real world performance". The double standard is quite amusing

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

uhh excuse me what?

Really?  I wasn't aware an iphone was close to the 2990WX.

Seriously wtf are they smoking...

Wow,yeah I was just looking at that Anandtech article, making claims that it runs as fast ''the best'' desktop cpu? LOL tbh i'd expect something more like engadget or the verge to be shilling that hard for apple. But really almost any midrange phone is fast enough and the screen well it better be good in a $1300 phone but i could personally care less because it still has a notch which even Apple themselves tries to hide.

I hate to rain on the iPhone shilling parade that review sites are part of but mobile SOCs are nowhere near desktop CPUs. Let alone laptop CPUs.

ARM wants to get to a core i5 dual core level of performance with their upcoming Cortex A76. Nobody else is anywhere near this level of performance.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

19 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wow,yeah I was just looking at that Anandtech article, making claims that it runs as fast ''the best'' desktop cpu? LOL tbh i'd expect something more like engadget or the verge to be shilling that hard for apple. But really almost any midrange phone is fast enough and the screen well it better be good in a $1300 phone but i could personally care less because it still has a notch which even Apple themselves tries to hide.

I would love to see some actual comparisons in performance across iOS, android, Windows on desktop, etc. but due to the very different OSes and CPU architectures I'm not sure this has ever been achieved, which is a real problem because you can't claim performance vs something else unless you can actually test it.  Just using logic and basic physics though, it's hard to believe that the entire computational power of the phone could beat even a single core of a modern desktop PC.  I find it near impossible to believe that Apple could be so vastly far ahead in terms of efficiency compared to companies like Intel that they could do significantly more with a Watt than a desktop CPU, and therefore, power consumption would be somewhat correlated with performance, and therefore, no phone would stand a shred of a chance.  All just speculation and my own gut though... would love to get some actual numbers as I said.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Come on. Apple may design extremely fast low core CPU, but they are no where near the performance of even low end i3.

43 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Exactly, it's somewhere in between.  The problem, of course, is that forums like LTT tend to be rabidly anti-Apple, so you don't hear the nuanced reality as often as you do the "Apple is dooooomed" cries.

The problems also shouldn't be showing at all in phones that cost well over $500. Apple's margins from their products is more than large enough for them to be able to have some form of true quality control & assurance.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

34 minutes ago, Commodus said:

snip

"chargegate" rendered a significant proportion (not like 1%... not like 10%... ) of devices non-functional without hardware workarounds (non-standard charging). Which is disappointing, but what really really pisses me off is that it sat un-recognized, un-fixed for two weeks. How the hell does that even get out? And it takes you more than 2 weeks to fix it? Apple's own staff didn't know how to handle it and replaced faulty devices with other faulty devices.

Beautygate is an issue for the sole reason that you can't turn the damn thing off.

But I'm actually most concerned by the attenna discussions. Particularly because we already have objective data that looks really poor, and if it isn't just Apple doing Apple things, but is an actual side effect of a 4x4 array, then I expect to see a lot more phones in the future showing these issues.

Anyways, back on topic... The anandtech comment in context honestly felt completely unsubstantiated. It's certainly possible, considering that it was such a big famous deal how weighed down x86 was by forced back-compat. In the same article, Anandtech thought the camera was better... but certainly not as good as the current Android tops (with the P20 Pro? and the S9+/Note 9). 

The display is great ofc. Buying the best Samsung can make, and putting it on the tightest OS on the market, well yes full integration certainly has benefits.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

BTW in case anyone wants to somehow dive into the horrible market BS that is Displaymate (like wtf guys... you do great work, but then package it in an absolute disaster of marketing BS and hype)

Here is the most relevant comparison:

Capture1.PNG.9614ddd6c716c14d588c86d9132da9c5.PNG

Capture2.PNG.0b83fc23fbdfae10ca682e893ec8c33a.PNG

Basically.... They are spewing bullshit all the way around on their "new best". They don't have a higher rating system than Excellent A+, and both (among others) are given the same rating which is the "best ever".

It's the best for an Apple product, and directly on par with the best Samsung has to offer. Not surprising.

EDIT: Ugh I can't emphasize how frustrating it is that Displaymate does so good robust testing then delivers it in this horribly misleading and awful package. Their raw data is as always impeccable.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Now watch as they cram the A12 into the Macbook Air.

Except that Apple's A-series processors are incapable of running OSX, it's an architecture that needs an AMD or Intel processor.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I was sure the last major discussion we had on dcxomark concluded it was pretty much meaningless (except for the people who worshiped a phone that got good results that particular time of course).  I even remember a few people comparing it to geekbench. 

My with that kind of reporting Anandtech have fallen a long way from where they were in the early naughties. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

It doesn't happen in all the devices and it only happens if the screen doesn't turn on. And the bug had something to do with iOS 12 Lightning port locking system they had put in place to combat GrayShift devices. So they could've missed it, but seriously the mainstream media went bananas with it

Yeah so take Apple's slow charger on more than 10% of devices (Lew had 7 of 8 devices with the issue), and sit near the wall tapping the phone every two minutes to make sure it charges. That's reasonable. 

It's a very easily fixable issue, but that doesnt mean it wasn't a serious one.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Practically anything has a better camera now than my HTC 10. Its camera sucks some big ones, so much so that I cannot understand how DXOMark gave it an 88. It's more like a 58.

Looking forward to the Xs after my wallet recovers from doing a new 9900K-based build.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean Apple makes great ARM SoCs, the best there are essentially....but that’s BS. If it were true x86 would have been sacked by now. 

I’m waiting for that rumored 2019 Apple laptop with ARM inside. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

25 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Except that Apple's A-series processors are incapable of running OSX, it's an architecture that needs an AMD or Intel processor.

Except they're trying to make iOS apps work on OS X, so in theory, they could do it the other way around. Who's to say Apple can't redesign quite a lot of things and finally unify their tablets and laptops? Who's to say that iOS won't be a thing in the future, replaced by a version of OS X with multi-arch capabilities?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats