iPhone Xs/Max bags the top ratings from DisplayMate, DxOMark, Anandtech for Display, Camera and Silicon

RedRound2
Just now, mr moose said:

those who have reason to hate will need more evidence than a few percent on a questionable benchmark and the ranting of a fanboy. 

So what should I do? Go-to their house and prove it to them or something? If those people can't even objectively look at the numbers that are independently verified by pretty reputable sources, then they probably fall into the blind haters category, like you who's only objective is to deviate from actual conversation of the contents of the post to a retarded flame war for absolutely no reason.

And by your logic, no one should ever post about Intel, AMDs, Nvidias, Qualcomm or any other tech piece even if they have catapulted themselves into the top scores of important performance metrics.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You make it sound like Apple didn't have any choice, but they did.

1) They should not have kept it a secret. I am fairly sure they didn't even include it in the patch notes.

2) They should have displayed a warning and made it optional to turn it off.

How do you think this forum would react if Intel started slowing down older processors through Windows update without telling anyone?

All the hate Apple got for that was deserved, and anyone who defended them were in my eyes being a fanboy who wasn't thinking straight.

Hence, why I said Apple fucked up.

I don't mind that they throttled to prevent the phone from shutting off. But I had serious beef with Apple's secrecy over it.

I completely agree that they should have told users beforehand. The Mac did this, so why can't the iPhone? A little persistent lockscreen notification that said the following...

iPhone's battery is degraded and requires servicing. Some functionality may be limited.

... would've been fine

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

.I were you, I'd question why you feel the need to proactively tell everyone how super awesome the iPhone is, instead of maybe correcting inaccurate information if it appears later?

I don't ever post that many news items. Heck if only one of these articles had only come out, I wouldn't have even bothered posting it. But all of them came and it surprised me. And I'm pretty sure it's a surprise to the many silent readers here too.

Also, I'm not jobless to correct fanboys about how wrong they are in every single thread, citing these articles. By posting it here, it'll get maximun courage and there will be a solid foundation for anyone wanting to refute a pure Apple haters claims

7 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

So what should I do? Go-to their house and prove it to them or something? If those people can't even objectively look at the numbers that are independently verified by pretty reputable sources, then they probably fall into the blind haters category, like you who's only objective is to deviate from actual conversation of the contents of the post to a retarded flame war for absolutely no reason.

You're turning into the person you're trying to fight against, I'm sorry to say.

You could have just easily ignored them or provide facts to counter misinformation. But creating a whole thread just to say things we already have known is quite frankly, a little pathetic

You shouldn't put so much effort for the sake of a few loud empty vessels on the internet. If anything, it makes you look even more like the empty vessel

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

So what should I do? Go-to their house and prove it to them or something?

No need to be silly,  if someone says something that is wrong then post evidence why.  It's really not that complicated.

If those people can't even objectively look at the numbers that are independently verified by pretty reputable sources, then they probably fall into the blind haters category, like you who's only objective is to deviate from actual conversation of the contents of the post to a retarded flame war for absolutely no reason.

I'm a blind hater am I?   This seems to be how you deal with people who form different opinions, you label them as blind and then try to pretend you have some superior reason for believing what you do.  News flash, not everyone cares about the opinions of certain websites or benchmarks.  And to be honest in this day and age of cheating phones, dodgy journalists and personal opinion being touted as fact, who can blame them for not caring beyond their personal experience.

And by your logic, no one should ever post about Intel, AMDs, Nvidias, Qualcomm or any other tech piece even if they have catapulted themselves into the top scores of important performance metrics.

No, by all means post the topic, just don't shout how god like something is hoping that it will prevent people from forming their own views or that if someone doesn't think the camera is as good for what ever reason that you will be able to change their minds.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You're turning into the person you're trying to fight against, I'm sorry to say.

You could have just easily ignored them or provide facts to counter misinformation. But creating a whole thread just to say things we already have known is quite frankly, a little pathetic

I provided facts and information. I did not make this thread to start a war. My arrogance comes out when I end up replying to those arrogant people who even now continue to spread misinformation even when they have evidences right in front of them. Just take a look at the few comments, especially about beauty gate and some guy comparing iPhone 8 with galaxy S5, claiming that the S5 is alot better if bought today compared to iPhone 8

16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No need to be silly,  if someone says something that is wrong then post evidence why.  It's really not that complicated.

It was sarcasm. Good god.

I'm a blind hater am I?   This seems to be how you deal with people who form different opinions, you label them as blind and then try to pretend you have some superior reason for believing what you do.  News flash, not everyone cares about the opinions of certain websites or benchmarks.  And to be honest in this day and age of cheating phones, dodgy journalists and personal opinion being touted as fact, who can blame them for not caring beyond their personal experience.

So I'm sorry, what was your opinion? There are plenty of people who expressed their opinion here with alid reasons and I respect them. What I can't stand is some people just falsely spreading misinformation. Don't take my word, but take the publications. And as you said, alot of people only believe their personal experience, but most people are too arrogant to even try it out or get informed properly before jumping into I hate Apple train

No, by all means post the topic, just don't shout how god like something is hoping that it will prevent people from forming their own views or that if someone doesn't think the camera is as good for what ever reason that you will be able to change their minds.

What did I even do? My god, I just made a topic. That's it. As I alluded to before I can't stand when people start spreading false and ill informed information even when the facts are right in front of them

6 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

What did I even do? My god, I just made a topic. That's it. As I alluded to before I can't stand when people start spreading false and ill informed information even when the facts are right in front of them

Um, didn't you say you wanted to counter the haters? 

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Um, didn't you say you wanted to counter the haters? 

Umm

That's it. As I alluded to before I can't stand when people start spreading false and ill informed information even when the facts are right in front of them

To which I say, once again, why bother? 

The people you're trying to disprove are so stubborn to the point where nothing can change their minds. Why even bother putting so much effort to end up starting back at square one? 

No rational person needs to do this. And no rational person also needs to know this. If you love iPhones, that's great, hope you like it. 

If you hate iPhones, well I won't say anything else about that. 

31 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

People might think that, but in reality iOS isn't magic. Hell, in some ways it is very much not optimized at all.

The reason why iOS devices have always felt really fast and snappy is because they have always had really high end hardware.

I really don't get where this notion that iPhones aren't about specs from. Apple has always been boasting about how much faster their newer iPhone is. At a few points they have even shown slides with transistor counts during their keynotes.

This notion that iPhones are low-end hardware but super optimized software needs to stop. Not just because it is wrong, but also because it gives credit to the wrong team at Apple. Their software department doesn't deserve even half the credit they get. It's the hardware team that deserves the praise, because they are doing an amazing job.

Well it's news to me, I don't know everything and I'm keen to learn.

All I know is Android and the variations are heavy operating systems comparatively to iOS and thus the Android devices usually have more powerful components. Just because Apple boasts about specs does not make me believe their devices are high-end, just like I don't believe they have 'courage' for removing the headphone jack.

I mean, while I feel like iOS is optimised, I don't necessarily think that iPhone hardware is bad, so I should correct myself there. I understand the A-series of processors with the most recent being the A12 Bionic chip, are quite powerful, usually perform well in benchmarks like GeekBench and are all designed in house. Credit where it's due. I've just always held the assumption because the software is noticeably lighter than Android that iOS is to thank for performance and longevity.

If you think I'm spreading misinformation please correct me. I just want to learn.

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Also, since there have been so many lies for justifying poor decisions from companies these days (just look at OnePlus trying to say they had to remove the headphone jack to make room for the fingerprint scanner, which turned out to be complete horseshit), I'd personally want to see some statistics for iPhones actually shutting down because of a lack of voltage, before blindly repeating Apple's PR statement.

So far, it's mostly the 6s, although those were due to defective batteries. Had someone whose unit would keep shutting off randomly. 

The Nexus 6P, funnily enough, has a similar issue. Personally experienced it on my HTC One M7 and Moto Z once they were past 1 year of age alongside my iPad 3. 

Still think they should've put the switch there in the first place. If I want my phone to be super speedy but may cause it to die unexpectedly, then so be it. Let me choose. 

Also, 1000 cycle battery please. 500 cycles is weak

13 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

It was sarcasm. Good god.

Then use the roll eyes emoticon or /s tag. 

So I'm sorry, what was your opinion? There are plenty of people who expressed their opinion here with alid reasons and I respect them. What I can't stand is some people just falsely spreading misinformation. Don't take my word, but take the publications.

That's just the problem, you are doing this preemptively, you are trying to counter hate that hasn't occurred yet.  And quite frankly my opinion is that that is just being worried that someone will not like what you like.

And as you said, alot of people only believe their personal experience, but most people are too arrogant to even try it out or get informed properly before jumping into I hate Apple train

The hate train is like a few people,  just like the hate train for MS is a few people and the hate train for Intel is the same few.  Everyone else just has varying degrees of like and dislike and those emotions go up and down with the severity of the issue.  Seriously your are trying too circumvent maybe 3 people from hating a product that have literally zero cares about what anyone else says. 

You made a thread and that was fine, but your reasoning was to stop people from hating on apple.  I am explaining that people can point to data, benchmarks, tests, websites and even reviews to reinforce whichever view they have (e.g the website that claimed edge was faster than safari).  Arguing that dxomark shows apple as the best is no more compelling than brand X scoring 2% better in geekbench or brand Y scoring 4% better in some old game.  And none of that will trump personal experience (because that's an evolutionary trait of the human psyche), nor will it counter the antennae issues, the battery performance scandal, tax avoidance claims or issues people have with the 3.5 jack.   Those are all personal responses to the company and their products that no benchmark will ever prove wrong or to be a problem with the user.

Also people have made some very legitimate observations regarding the articles you linked, that is not to say they are intrinsically wrong, but that there is a lot left open to interpretation, and as such they do not form the concrete evidence for other people the way they do for you.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

27 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Arguing that dxomark shows apple as the best is no more compelling than brand X scoring 2% better in geekbench or brand Y scoring 4% better in some old game.  And none of that will trump personal experience (because that's an evolutionary trait of the human psyche).

Want to add to this in regards to DxO

You shouldn't take their final score as a definitive resource. Because it is an average of several sub-scores which are in 2 separate sections for photos and video.

For example, the P20 Pro is the current top scorer but there were areas where some of the lower scored phones did better in. 

And it doesn't account for subjective experiences when actively using the camera. 

Screenshot_20181009-171622_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181009-171533_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181009-171359_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181009-171447_Chrome.jpg

42 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Maybe care less about what other people think of a phone? Maybe bring up that they are wrong if the conversation happens, rather than preemptively bringing it up?

44 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

There is a difference between making a thread going "hey, Intel released a new product and this is how good it is" and making a separate thread, independent from the announcement thread, where the entire thread is just "look at how much better the new Intel product is compared to AMD! Look at how it is the best in the world!" when the difference is less than 2%.

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

you know I'm actually surprised they haven't done it for the Retina Macbook ._. craziest battery life ever

They probably have done it,  Their R+D teams have probably tried all sorts of stuff, it's not like they don't have the budget to try crazy things and see what works.  Hell even MS who has proportionately less throws money at lots of shit to see what sticks.

> the lastest and most expensive device on the market performs well in benchmarks

> mfw

image.png.8e6c1c3497c3cac7912010b4a67bc58e.png

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I imagine that would be for the 12” MacBook considering how low power useless that device is. 

FTFY ?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The more I check reviews about flagship phones, the more they become repetitive. One say it has the best display ever, the other says it has the best performance ever. How can you even say that while there are more phones coming up that may surpass that quality or performance. Sure, the display looks good but that doesn't always mean everything. What's more important to talk about is how durable this device is.

(Fyi, slight off-topic thing but still fits within the theme here) I watched this video from CBC News about the repairs that 'non-certified' can't legally do because of Apple not giving the rights of repair and something about ripping off customers. It's silly that such thing even exists. For all I know there are more manufactures that actually do this. It shouldn't be like that.  

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

What I can't stand is some people just falsely spreading misinformation. Don't take my word, but take the publications. And as you said, alot of people only believe their personal experience, but most people are too arrogant to even try it out or get informed properly

Says the person who took a quote out of context to make the iPhone's processor sound like it's as good as desktop processors...

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Well, you said you made the topic in order to preemptively shut people up before they say bad things about the iPhone.

Also, not going to start digging up old posts of yours, but if I were you I'd be very careful with claiming others are spreading false and ill information. From what I remember I don't believe you have that great of a track record either.

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

All I know is Android and the variations are heavy operating systems comparatively to iOS and thus the Android devices usually have more powerful components. Just because Apple boasts about specs does not make me believe their devices are high-end, just like I don't believe they have 'courage' for removing the headphone jack.

1) Android is not really any heavier than iOS. Android apps used to be slower because they needed to be compiled at run-time (and later, JIT compiled) but these days the Android runtime pre-compiles it at install time. The OSes themselves are from what I know not significantly different when it comes to resource use. 

2) Android devices do not have more powerful components. In fact, historically Android devices have been behind iPhones when it comes to performance. It's basically only been RAM where Android devices have had an edge.

I think a lot of people have stared themselves blind at the core count and frequency, but failed to take into account the architectural differences. Just like you can't compare an AMD Bulldozer processor with 8 cores to the new Intel Coffee Lake 8 core processor, you can't compare a Qualcomm core with an Apple core. 

4 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

To which I say, once again, why bother? 

The people you're trying to disprove are so stubborn to the point where nothing can change their minds. Why even bother putting so much effort to end up starting back at square one? 

No rational person needs to do this. And no rational person also needs to know this. If you love iPhones, that's great, hope you like it. 

If you hate iPhones, well I won't say anything else about that. 

Misinformation. That's all my issue is. I mean seriously, look at charge gate and beauty gate. There are people still spreading that Apple put in a beauty mode that you can't turn off. I am not going to engage someone who makes a "Apple is shit" comments, but to people who actually brings up their issues, that I might see differently, in order for both of us to understand better on each other's perspective. But in reality, even for those people who seems legitimate, their blood starts boiling the moment I say anything good about Apple. Really, just take a look at this thread.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe care less about what other people think of a phone? Maybe bring up that they are wrong if the conversation happens, rather than preemptively bringing it up?

I made the thread because I think it's significant. If you don't care, why bother clicking the post. Just go ahead with your day. I did not make any clickbaity title too. You chose to check it out for yourself you care. And that's also why I care.

There is a difference between making a thread going "hey, Intel released a new product and this is how good it is" and making a separate thread, independent from the announcement thread, where the entire thread is just "look at how much better the new Intel product is compared to AMD! Look at how it is the best in the world!" when the difference is less than 2%.

Wtf? So you're saying we should just quote manufacture numbers and never make threads about independent reviews? I remember you being alot more objective. And your 2 percent metric is from DxOmark weighted score, which to anyone who read the article knows is misleading at best. There are independant strong points in camera that the iPhone handles much better than the competitors. Same goes for the display and the processor which is not some mere 5 percent better than the competition. And I made a thread on all three of them together. I wouldn't have bothered if it was just one report. And no one is talking about the the research paper made by the university about the new iPhone screens 

56 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Says the person who took a quote out of context to make the iPhone's processor sound like it's as good as desktop processors...

Wow. It wasn't taken out of context. Read the paragraph yourself, which I have had put in the OP, and you'll see that that particular sentence isn't a continuation or header of any. And by that logic, you're saying I should've quoted the entire 10 page review because anything taken out from there would be 'out of context'.

Apple’s marketing department was really underselling the improvements here by just quoting 15% - a lot of workloads will be seeing performance improvements I estimate to be around 40%, with even greater improvements in some corner-cases. Apple’s CPU have gotten so performant now, that we’re just margins off the best desktop CPUs; it will be interesting to see how the coming years evolve, and what this means for Apple’s non-mobile products.

Well, you said you made the topic in order to preemptively shut people up before they say bad things about the iPhone.

Also, not going to start digging up old posts of yours, but if I were you I'd be very careful with claiming others are spreading false and ill information. From what I remember I don't believe you have that great of a track record either.

Go ahead. The only thing you've got on me is that analog thing from headphone jack thread. I didn't know better then, as electronics is not my subject. I never really comment on anything else here. And there are plenty of replies that you just conveniently haven't gotten back in older threads too, just so you know. 

I made the thread because I think it's significant. If you don't care, why bother clicking the post. Just go ahead with your day. I did not make any clickbaity title too. You chose to check it out for yourself and that's exactly why I care.

It wasn't significant. Because it was all too predictable. 

The iPhone is the best performing ARM smartphone. The iPhone has the most accurate display of any smartphone. The iPhone has one of the top performing cameras. 

Those are expected, especially out of a phone that starts at $999. We all know and frankly expect this. If it somehow wasn't those, then we have a big problem. 

And your 2 percent metric is from DxOmark weighted score, which to anyone who read the article knows is misleading at best. 

Then why mention it? Instead of screenshotting the entire result and putting a Note9 and P20 Pro alongside to compare? It would make the message clearer. 

Look, you need to chill. A lot of us aren't Apple haters, but you have to understand when it's just futile. 

Fanboys won't listen to any rational argument and even plain, hard facts. They'll continue to believe whatever fucked up reasoning and such goes up in the air and claim that as a fact. All fanboys are like this. It's not just Apple and Android fanboys. 

It wasn't significant. Because it was all too predictable. 

The iPhone is the best performing ARM smartphone. The iPhone has the most accurate display of any smartphone. The iPhone has one of the top performing cameras. 

Those are expected, especially out of a phone that starts at $999. We all know and frankly expect this. If it somehow wasn't those, then we have a big problem. 

Not to most people on this forum. Dude, stop pretending like everyone sees Apple here objectively.

Then why mention it? Instead of screenshotting the entire result and putting a Note9 and P20 Pro alongside to compare? It would make the message clearer. 

I never boasted their score here. I quoted their concluding remarks, which is different. Please stop making such replies based on your assumptions on what I did

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Dude, stop pretending like everyone sees Apple here objectively.

Except people like me, moose, LAwLZ and others do see Apple objectively and give credit where credit is due. 

You need to calm down. You're turning into the person you hate by the second. 

Maybe just ignore irrational people and just enjoy your iPhone or something. Some people are just not worth arguing against 

6 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Except people like me, moose, LAwLZ and others do see Apple objectively and give credit where credit is due. 

And umm, you guys don't represent the entire forum. And I don't agree with you completely there as I've seen the latter two's objectivity alot in other threads too

You need to calm down. You're turning into the person you're hate by the second. 

You just falsely accused me of something. And now you're saying this. Sigh

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

You just falsely accused me of something. And now you're saying this. Sigh

Falsely accused of what? 

Seriously, we're going nowhere. Just. Chill. Out 

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Falsely accused of what? 

The dxomark score. You just said a few comments back that falsely glorified their score when I never mentioned anything about it in the OP

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Seriously, we're going nowhere. Just. Chill. Out 

Why are you still replying? And seriously stop editing your comments because I don't reread them. And posting a more reasonable statement after I read it makes me look bad for replying to you. And I'm calm. I just don't know why you're stretching this thing we have going on here.