Telltale Games is shutting down and has layed off most of their employees

AlTech

Telltale Games today has announced they will be closing their doors and laying off most of their employees as the Studio will be shutting down.

The news was posted early by ex-ceo Kevin Bruner followed by an official announcement by the company.

Telltale Games, the studio best known for narrative adventure titles like the Walking Dead, will soon shut down. Early reports suggested that around 90% of the studio’s 250 employees have been laid off, and the company has now confirmed that it will close.

An official announcement says that a “majority” of the studio’s employees were let go today, leaving a small group of 25 to “fulfill the company’s obligations to its board and partners” ahead of the shutdown.

“It’s been an incredibly difficult year for Telltale as we worked to set the company on a new course,” CEO Pete Hawley says in the statement. “Unfortunately, we ran out of time trying to get there. We released some of our best content this year and received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, but ultimately, that did not translate to sales. With a heavy heart, we watch our friends leave today to spread our brand of storytelling across the games industry.

The company will continue to keep a bare minimum of employees to fulfil financial obligations to their shareholders and partners. After which they will be shutting down permanently.

As for what will happen with all of Telltale’s ongoing projects, the studio said it will have “further comments regarding its product portfolio in the coming weeks.”

It's a shame that Telltale is shutting down as I've enjoyed a fair few of their games in the past and supported them financially.

I hope the employees are at least getting good recommendations and are able to find other jobs in the industry.

Sources:

https://www.brunerhouse.com/blog/2018/9/21/telltale-closure

https://www.pcgamesn.com/telltale-games-shut-down-official

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

That's what happens when you only make story games.

Im not sure if youre shooting at EA or are genuine 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

It was bound to happen at some point. When you turn out 50 remixes of the same (not very fun in the first place imo) format it's not gonna go well for you

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Some of Telltale's game were quite buggy and some weren't top quality due to corporate forcing them to use the Telltale tool game engine.

But if they had the right engine they could have made better story games. I do believe story games are still sustainable in 2018.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

It was bound to happen at some point. When you turn out 50 remixes of the same (not very fun in the first place imo) format it's not gonna go well for you

Yeah. The writing should have been on the wall when the ex-ceo left due to disagreements about the company's future with the board.

RIP the walking dead season 60 game

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

welp saw that coming miles away, between the reports of them not upgrading their engine to simplify production, starting more projects that they can handle, long ass waiting periods between chapters, and all the crunch.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah. The writing should have been on the wall when the ex-ceo left due to disagreements about the company's future with the board.

Decline has been slow but the signs have been there since they settled into that format. You could have done something interesting with that (Subsurface Circular, anyone?) but they got stuck in a rut

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

15 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Nope, there's plenty of studios only doing story driven games who are doing perfectly fine.

This is what happens when you fail to change your formula for multiple years, take on far more work than you can handle and stretch yourself so thin that the quality of your products declines to bordering on not fit for purpose.

This has nothing to do with games and everything to do with how management managed the business.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This has nothing to do with games and everything to do with how management managed the business.

This is a very good point... I mean look at EA games - they're still in business.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

31 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

RIP the walking dead season 60 game

they kept on minimal staffing to finish the next Walking Dead installment from what ive seen. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

23 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

they kept on minimal staffing to finish the next Walking Dead installment from what ive seen. 

fuck

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

What the fuck. They actually made enjoyable games. Presumably the strangers things game is canned now? 

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

They seriously went bankrupt after getting the rights to the walking dead, borderlands, game of thrones, minecraft, guardians of the galaxy, and more? Good job. Maybe make more than 1 game with a different theme painted on top next time

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Good riddance.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Bit of a stretch to call them games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

To be fair, if it was plural I would understand.

I am not very comfortable using a plural noun for telltale: the made one really good game, and then they made it again for insert-franchise-they-could-get-here.

Narrative games are fine but they really forgot the "game" part far too much: the novelty from the late 80s and early 90s isn't here anymore so just being a narrative game isn't enough and even during the 90s we already had gimmicks fucking galore with these games launching into the hot new techs like full motion video and whatnot.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Arcanekitten said:

What the fuck. They actually made enjoyable games. Presumably the strangers things game is canned now? 

Pretty much. The remaining telltale staff are working on minecraft story mode for netflix.

No one, NO ONE cared for the GOTG, Batman or Borderland games they made, not even Game of thrones TBH, people asked for Wolf among us, and a quick rollout of Walking Dead, and people gave up, The episodic format was a blessing and a curse, no one in thier right mind bought each episode as they came, almost everyone bought it when all episode released, at which the entire game was on sale soon after. they should have just released all episodes like Netflix. they made 400 days DLC which never connected into anything else. they make games with so many threads hanging but never complete it. seriously, who cared about borderlands and GOTG telltale games? 

EDIT: Wait, they were making Strangers things also ? who cares, i hope they effin end the walking dead properly and not leave it incomplete. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

As with any Indie studio, it wasn’t really going to last long. You’re either bought out or gone.

Well that sucks, especially for the walking dead series. Loved those stories.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man