this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

jjtierney02

I realised that he got the SATA version of the M.2 SSD, not an NVME version of the M.2 SSD, so really, his drive is just topping out at 550-580 MB/s.

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I rest my case.  Suggesting someone run an unlicensed OS isn't really a viable option.  Can it be done?  Yes.  Doesn't mean it should be.

Why shouldnt you run it like that?

Dont you like the sticker in the corner?

A grey license is 25$. Something yiu can buy later on. Noone is stopping you from running win 10 unactivated

cringed so many times watching this video. Steve from GN poked fun at them as well in his last two videos

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

35 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sorry, I have to shill for Dave Jones right now because of that:

The difference is that this is not what he has... he just has a something that looks like a rubber band

image.png.8f125602e8cdbc4239bf689cc64bd3bc.png

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

*sigh*

*groan*

I give up.

So you are against saving money. I get it now. 

You can run win 10 unactivated all you want.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YyW49J

Here, run activated Windows from a key from kinguin from day one.

Specify 1 reason not to go this route?

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

hopefully the Verge actually go through the steps to regain some trust. 

You had trust for The Verge before?

It was founded by Apple fanboys who left Engadget, possibly because they couldn't suck as much Apple dick as they wanted over there.

Their reviews are a mess because they are written by so many different people. For example they gave one of the Galaxy Note phones a low rating because "it's too big", but then some other guy rated the iPhone plus model highly because "the size is perfect" or something along those lines.

Besides, a lot of their staff seems to be very tech-illiterate. It's the same type of "I drool over consumer electronics that I don't understand the basics of, so I'm a tech geek" person I mentioned earlier.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That doesn't make any sense.

Makes sense to me.

<gatekeeping>

Programming is very important to understand fundamental basics of how a computer operates, and it's also a very useful tool for efficiently using a computer. 

An enthusiast is someone who is highly interested in a particular subject. Programming is what enables PCs to work to begin with. You can't really be "highly interested" in something if don't known and don't want to learn how it actually works on a basic level. 

Maybe a better analogy would be to say that a "computer enthusiast" that don't know basic programming is like a "car enthusiast" who doesn't know the basics of how an engine works, and barely knows how to drive.

</gatekeeping>

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its more probable that either Youtube removed the Video or Capital One called them and told them to do it.

Why would YouTube remove it? They don't remove videos like that.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

There was a lot of minor stuff like not knowing the correct terminology that raised a few alarm bells, such as referring to cable ties as "tweezers" early in the video, but there was also some major mistakes made like recommending people screw through the body of the radiator with the long screws (fan mount screws) to mount it to the case, which will almost definitely damage the soft aluminium fins on most radiators and potentially cause a leak. The video was formatted as a "How to" instructional guide video, and pretty much everything that was said and done in the video was wrong.

Doesn't sound any worse than the average LinusTechTips video to me, which are also full of misinformation and formatted in ways which make them seem like guides or information videos.

But I haven't seen The Verge's video so maybe I shouldn't be too quick to judge and compare it.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

No, just no.  You're going to have really crappy components (which means it's not really suitable for gaming), and/or you won't be buying a Windows license.  Which is fine if you plan to run Linux, but most gamers don't do that.  It's advice like that which leads people to come to me, saying that they want to build a new gaming system for $500, and I just have to shake my head and set them straight.

500 dollar for a gaming PC is more than possible. You just have to set expectations accordingly.

Set the resolution to 720p, details to medium and don't expect more than ~40 FPS. If you do that a PC with a decent iGPU can play most games people might want (LoL, Fortnite, Minecraft, Hearthstone, stuff like that). Worth noting and pointing out that raising the budget slightly will give you a far better computer for gaming, but I think a lot of people on this forum has unreasonably high demands that doesn't really reflect what the average gamer demands.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

The rest of the world wouldn't create a video on a subject they know nothing about and post it on YouTube though. (OK most of them wouldn't)

Linus does, and he has become very successful because of it.

Just now, LAwLz said:

You had trust for The Verge before?

not really, no.

i wold at least expext them to make an attempt at being somewhat trusted.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Linus does, and he has become very successful because of it.

And if he makes a mistake, he owns it and explains. Not like this guy...

shit that "Techtubers are not Journalists"  

49 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Why shouldnt you run it like that?

Dont you like the sticker in the corner?

A grey license is 25$. Something yiu can buy later on. Noone is stopping you from running win 10 unactivated

That is not legal.

And that is the point. 

What you do at your home is your business and private. You can run a unactivated, not licensed Windows Version all you want.

But we can't and shouldn't recommend it because of the Legal Reasons.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But I haven't seen The Verge's video so maybe I shouldn't be too quick to judge and compare it.

Yeah, you should watch the Response Videos...

Let me Cite one of the Responses:
"It is a parody, it has to be, they can't mean this serious".

That was one of the comments.

I haven't watched the video myself and only the Responses. And its bad....

You know the Components and what it costs.

Do you want to know what they tested it with? I bet you don't...

Because its not WoW, you have to replace the W with another Letter...

And he said he limited it to 120fps, but it also runs at 350fps or so...

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why would YouTube remove it? They don't remove videos like that.

When they get enough reports, they might or will...

And its possible that there were a couple of thousand or tens of thousand people flagging it for misleading content...

But the most probable is that they got a call from their Sponsor and that they were pissed and told them to remove it ASAP or they will get sued.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

23 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That is not legal.

And that is the point. 

What you do at your home is your business and private. You can run a unactivated, not licensed Windows Version all you want.

But we can't and shouldn't recommend it because of the Legal Reasons.

thanks for specifying one reason not to do so.

though im not a 100% advocate of getting grey keys, they are definitvly an option. and for those on a budget it is something they should consider

and if you really want to stay legal, running linux is becoming very viable. 

Edited by GoldenLag

No he didn'tO.o did he say the tech community were "very angry nerds" and its all good cause his shit still works my god again no editorial oversight 

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

50 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

though im not a 100% advocate of getting grey keys, they are definitvly an option. and for those on a budget it is something they should consider

That depends on what kind of Key you get.

And in a worst case scenario, the Key works only one time and gets blacklisted by Microsoft.

Thing is that you don't know what kind of Key you get and how the seller got it. And how legal they are.

In a worst case scenario they sell the same key multiple times...

50 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Absolutely. And I'd rather do that than get a Key without Support, that might get deactivated any day by M$...

The Risk of those is rather high..

6 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

-snip

$2000 dollar build people. It's so beautifully built. Don't mind the missing screw for the cpu cooler mount.

To be fair, I've never encountered a Corsair AIO where one of the thumb screws didn't cross thread or strip itself out.

Maybe it's just my big sausage fingers. Didn't have this problem with my EKWB CPU waterblock.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

With all due respect to Stefan Etienne, it seemed to be his first build and, while building a PC isn't hard, it's not easy to get it right on the first build. You're gonna make mistakes. You're gonna put the graphics card into the wrong PCIe slot. Your cable management is gonna be shit. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with getting something wrong on the first try, otherwise we wouldn't ever learn anything. I'm sure he'll do better the next time he builds a PC, but... The Verge really shoulda chose someone else for the job. Or maybe just stuck to Apple products.

Except this wasn’t his first PC. He’s claimed to build multiple.

And he dismissed criticism because “my computer is better than most of theirs anyway”. 

5 hours ago, JuNex03 said:

You wanna know what's even more stupid?

image.png.bb3e58fc3f89fb6e046f12d40c986e52.png

Getting flak from your stupid build guide then trying to squeeze in gamers and "toxic gaming" to deflect

That’s not unlike most of the other Vox Media portals like Polygon, to be brutally honest.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

*eyesore snip

$2000 dollar build people. It's so beautifully built. Don't mind the missing screw for the cpu cooler mount.

The real question is how much did they pocket.  Are review samples marked confidential meaning they didn't even pay for that?    I wonder how much citibank paid them in total.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Except this wasn’t his first PC. He’s claimed to build multiple.

And he dismissed criticism because “my computer is better than most of theirs anyway”. 

That’s not unlike most of the other Vox Media portals like Polygon, to be brutally honest.

can I throw in some of those "games journalists" in the list as well? Jesus Christ, it's like they can't own up to mistakes.

This guy would've been in the clear if:

1.) he admitted he's not a pro

2.) told his viewers that it was going to be a learning thing

3.) just own up

4.) it wouldn't necessarily need to be after they posted the video, they could've done it at the start of the video like a disclaimer or something.

3 hours ago, JuNex03 said:

And if he makes a mistake, he owns it and explains. Not like this guy...

shit that "Techtubers are not Journalists"  

Eh... No?

That happens like 1 in 10 times. Most of the time he either ignores the criticism (maybe just doesn't see it?) or come up with bullshit excuses for why it is OK to lie or spread misinformation. Like "we produce more than one video a day, so we don't have time to check everything", and then a bunch of rabid fans flocks to protect him.

So this happened.

Why do i get the impression they are simply lumping together any and all 'critisism' into 'harrasment' from reading this tweet.

"some minor factual erros" ...    -.-

"Happy to engage with our audiences" .....dissabled youtube comments and votes.... dismisses twitter feedback and makes excusses... ok.

Oh and lets not forget the best current point of defense/argument in todays age ... Racism ! . If the presenter in the vid was female aswell im sure they would have also used 'sexism' in their resposne.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

500 dollar for a gaming PC is more than possible. You just have to set expectations accordingly.

I should clarify that I was referring to retail pricing, not internet pricing.  I work at a retail shop where we custom build PC's, and we legitimately get people coming in wanting to build a "high-end" $500 gaming PC.

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

thanks for specifying one reason not to do so.

Wait, you actually needed someone to specify that?  I thought you were just being intentionally obtuse.  And no, grey keys are not an option.  They may work, but that doesn't make them legitimate.  And as @Stefan Payne pointed out, you can't be sure they won't be deactivated.

Also, Linux has always been viable, it's just a question of whether you want to invest the time and effort into getting a lot of games working that don't have native support for it.  Now, I don't run it personally - because I don't want to deal with that - but it's still viable for those who don't mind.

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

To be fair, I've never encountered a Corsair AIO where one of the thumb screws didn't cross thread or strip itself out.

Maybe it's just my big sausage fingers. Didn't have this problem with my EKWB CPU waterblock.

Seriously?  I've installed dozens of them, and never once had them strip out.  And that's despite me using a cordless screwdriver/drill (set to the lowest torque setting, of course) to install them.  Then again, maybe that's why I don't have any issues, because the torque setting stops the cordless before it can strip anything.  Maybe you're just over-tightening.

40 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Why do i get the impression they are simply lumping together any and all 'critisism' into 'harrasment' from reading this tweet.

Because that's what they always do.

As soon as you critizize them, you harrass them with facts.

Didn't you know that facts are harrassing things?

We just see it so clearly, its so obvious.

Here an oppionion on the Video:

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because that's what they always do.

As soon as you critizize them, you harrass them with facts.

Didn't you know that facts are harrassing things?

We just see it so clearly, its so obvious.

Here an oppionion on the Video:

we live in a age where no one wants to own what they do wrong. You just shout "fake news", "racism" or "sexism" or whatever. Trump, Serena Williams, Verge,... there were so many more examples.