New Huawei OTA will make phones with Magisk (root) not boot, even the ones that are already rooted

Bouzoo

So this is a big huge f*** you from Huawei to the people that like to take some freedom and play with their phones. While this may not mean a lot to most of users, it will affect many people in their communities. This is the info from Magisk creator himself:

Needless to say that the people are furious and calling for boycott on their devices. 

https://www.irishtech.ie/huawei-community-unlock-dismember/

In the article it is mentioned that a recent update on the P9 actually detects if your device has been modified. 

It should be in their interest to make communities happy and for people to support their devices, which is one od the reason why they grew so big, you could actually recommend theim. They are not entitled to do so, but bricking devices because someone rotted them is some next level bs. 

Needless to say that this comes just days after the DSLR incident, just to put even more dirt on their name. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

What's the point of doing something like this? Are they just trying to pull an Apple and become less consumer-friendly at this point?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

After this and the background applications fiasco I'm definitely straying away from a huawei phone for the conceivable future.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I dont follow , why is rooting such a big thing ? 

I have a Honor 8 btw , perfectly happy with it as is . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Just now, Mr.Dingle said:

rooting is big for older devices to continue the life of the phone, not to mention much wider access to what the phone can actually do. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Dingle said:

Cos Android 3rd party ROM community is large.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 minutes ago, Mr.Dingle said:

You can remove all manufacturer and carrier bloatware, install pure android without the manufacturer skins, and also with that install updates and security patches as soon as they are released, not wait for months for them. You can install android roms that weren't released for phones because of discountinued support. You can install apps with functions you could not use on locked devices.

1 hour ago, Mr.Dingle said:

A lot devices don't get more than one android update and 2-3 minor updates. Even more don't get a major update. And a notable amount of devices don't get updates at all. The community has made up for lazy companies that don't care about user security and only their own money by porting updates to rooted devices using ROMs like LineageOS. I'm running Android Oreo on my S5 currently and will likely be getting Android Pie within a few months. This can't be said for any S5 that wasn't rooted.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Im taking a shot in the dark here but I believe this may be due to the new chinese law that requires all chinese companies to assist in its surveillance efforts globally. Rooting a phone and adding a 3rd party rom would not allow Huawei to do that.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, Mr.Dingle said:

> looks at six year old undervolted, over clocked, nougat powered Galaxy Note 2

I don't know, some people just like to do as they see fit with the stuff they legit bought and no manufacturer should have a say on the matter

Scum move number 2 from Huawei in the last 3 months, already stopped considering them when they decided to stop giving bootloader unlock codes, now they can go burn in a fire for all i care. Let the US ban them completely, hopefully the Eu will do the same one day.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Damn i need to spam those i for informative ...

I cant say im bothered by this but , by what i understood its a bad move.

Which is bad since i really like their stuff.

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

I was about to show how little I use Android. Normally I would have said, why did you root the device......then I remembered that 3rd party versions of Android are usually, really bad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Whelp.... No Huawei for me :( Was really looking forward to getting the next Mate..... Not happening now :(

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

26 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Im taking a shot in the dark here but I believe this may be due to the new chinese law that requires all chinese companies to assist in its surveillance efforts globally. Rooting a phone and adding a 3rd party rom would not allow Huawei to do that.

Do you have evidence for that? It would fully believe this given the authorities dedication to the Golden Shield (Great Firewall) project and their behaviour in the north west.

Ideally a third party security company would have to verify these claims.

2 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

What's the point of doing something like this? Are they just trying to pull an Apple and become less consumer-friendly at this point?

Based on Apples success, they are probably assuming this is what the consumer wants, less freedom.

12 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

Based on Apples success, they are probably assuming this is what the consumer wants, less freedom.

It would help if Android had useful first-party apps. iOS doesn't really have "less freedom" aside from lack of emulation support for GBA. I wouldn't mind if Android doubled down on restricting their hardware a little more. 

By "first-party" I mean whoever manufactures the phone. #SamsungisShit

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Looks like I’m crossing Huawei off the list of whenever I get my first Android phone. 

Get a Xiaomi if you want a Chinese phone. There's literally nothing to dislike (except if you're one of those people who won't buy something that doesn't come with a warranty since global variants of their phones don't come with one).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Looks like I’m crossing Huawei off the list of whenever I get my first Android phone. 

There was no reason to have Huawei on that list to begin with. They're just another dime a dozen Android manufacturers that produce phones with no outstanding features that aren't just gimmicks. Which is sad because phones like the Ascend Q/ M660 and the Ascend/ M860 were stellar options back in the Gingerbread days.

God I hate phones today.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

29 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

There was no reason to have Huawei on that list to begin with. They're just another dime a dozen Android manufacturers that produce phones with no outstanding features that aren't just gimmicks. Which is sad because phones like the Ascend Q/ M660 and the Ascend/ M860 were stellar options back in the Gingerbread days.

God I hate phones today.

To be fair, they have had few very good phones. It's the software side where the problem is. There is almost no reason not to go with Mate 10 Pro for the current price. 

The problem was that you could barely buy those phones in GB days. I mean, it was the time when HTC Wildfire and Galaxy Ace were good mid range phones. Huawei was non existent. 

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I was about to show how little I use Android. Normally I would have said, why did you root the device......then I remembered that 3rd party versions of Android are usually, really bad. 

I hope you realize that the kind of things users root their phones to do you also need to get root on iOS, Windows Phone, MacOS, Windows, ChromeOS or desktop GNU/Linux distros too >.>

The only real difference is that on desktop operating systems they provide tools to get root access (UAC on Windows or administrator prompts on MacOS)

Did they give a reason for this move? Like was already mentioned, I assume it's some Chinese Government security regulation on the company but I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I hope you realize that the kind of things users root their phones to do you also need to get root on iOS, Windows Phone, MacOS, Windows, ChromeOS or desktop GNU/Linux distros too >.>

And essentially all of those things are, imo, foolish. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)