PC temps vs environment temps

Hans Power

So, I'm German and in Germany we sweat like real men during summer - and so do our PCs. What I'm trying to say is that we don't usually have ACs in our apartments so PC cooling needs to be able to deal with that.

My question: Is there a ratio on how PC max temps (mainly CPU and GPU) rise relative to environmental temps or is it just linear? Like if my apartment temps rise from 20°C to 30°C, will my GPU/CPU max temps also rise by 10°C (I don't believe they do cause I never got that high temps in my PC)? Is there another rule of thumb?

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Should be quite linear. If some component gets overheated good idea is to under-volt either CPU or GPU. But in regular usage even that's not really needed in my experience (since I under-volt everything).

I edit my posts more often than not

28 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

we don't usually have AC

Luften for life!!!

28 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

Like if my apartment temps rise from 20°C to 30°C, will my GPU/CPU max temps also rise by 10°C (I don't believe they do cause I never got that high temps in my PC)? Is there another rule of thumb?

From my experience it does, but not significant

In my area, it's around 30-ish degree Celsius at noon, and at night I turned on AC at 26 degree (tropical area with high humidity, so no 4 seasons such as spring nor winter)

The difference of CPU and GPU temp when I game at noon and night, is probably around 1-2 degree at max

P.S.

Currently it's a huge heat wave in the place I live, where it could be 39 degree or on some area go as high as 42 degree. But my rig doesn't seem to have overheat issue till now

The most important thing is, to make sure that your PC has good airflow from intake to exhaust

If you want a better temp, just remove the side panel glass and the temp will drop quite significant especially on the GPU, but you will risk some dust to get into your rig

Edited by ImWilly
Additional info

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

8 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

The most important thing is, to make sure that your PC has good airflow from intake to exhaust

If you want a better temp, just remove the side panel glass and the temp will drop quite significant especially on the GPU, but you will risk some dust to get into your rig

I would say this.

In my case, I do not remove the side panel as it interferes with my case flow on both my Meshify C and Torrent C.

Good fans are... good 🙂 

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

33 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

So, I'm German and in Germany we sweat like real men during summer - and so do our PCs. What I'm trying to say is that we don't usually have ACs in our apartments so PC cooling needs to be able to deal with that.

My question: Is there a ratio on how PC max temps (mainly CPU and GPU) rise relative to environmental temps or is it just linear? Like if my apartment temps rise from 20°C to 30°C, will my GPU/CPU max temps also rise by 10°C (I don't believe they do cause I never got that high temps in my PC)? Is there another rule of thumb?

It's essentially linear, +10C ambient = +10C  on the CPU/GPU etc

If you have no A/C (sure it's rare in Europe), an apartment fan can help the airflow  in your rig

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 c ambient temp is 1c to pc temp its a 1 to 1 so lower ambient temp lowers pc temps.

other things that help with pc temps is air flow and water flow and surface area.

the higher the ambient temp the less cooling each will do. some case it you might still thermal throttle

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

It's often said removing the side panel is not as good of an idea as was thought... as is does break the flow of the air often times. I'd vote against side panel removal for temps, it might even get you worse temps at the end of the day. Not to mention, your case will become a dust nightmare in no time.

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

It's often said removing the side panel is not as good of an idea as was thought... as is does break the flow of the air often times. I'd vote against side panel removal for temps, it might even get you worse temps at the end of the day. Not to mention, your case will become a dust nightmare in no time.

removing the side pannale is a test to see how bad of air flow the case has and how much the temps drop. in a good air flow case having the side off is not needed. but most likey will improve temps even in a hi flow case. (because of hoe the gpu exhaust its heat to the side)

also to see if the case is the problem or hardware like if you remove the side and gpu temps stay the same meaning some other cooling problem. like past or pads or fan rpm.

and its free to try...so...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 4/28/2024 at 11:05 AM, Hans Power said:

It is not linear. The hotter your room gets, the more you'll struggle to cool your PC and it'll heat up faster than your room. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂