New Huawei OTA will make phones with Magisk (root) not boot, even the ones that are already rooted

Bouzoo
6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Looks like I’m crossing Huawei off the list of whenever I get my first Android phone. 

Might want to cross off Samsung as well. If your Samsung phone has been rooted and you need warranty repair, they'll deny you even if you pay for a protection plan.

5 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Do you have evidence for that? It would fully believe this given the authorities dedication to the Golden Shield (Great Firewall) project and their behaviour in the north west.

Ideally a third party security company would have to verify these claims.

Australia has blocked hauwei from building 5g networks in the country because of that new law.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

17 minutes ago, jsjones008 said:

Might want to cross off Samsung as well. If your Samsung phone has been rooted and you need warranty repair, they'll deny you even if you pay for a protection plan.

That's because you modified it to do things it's not intended to do.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I'm aware. And I have an unrooted Note8 because I have no need for rooting my phone. But, if someone is interested in rooting their phone, then they might want to avoid those from companies that have policies in place preventing that in some way.

If i rooted my Mate 10 the first thing i do is install LineageOS, why stick on EMUI? https://openkirin.net/download/

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

If i rooted my Mate 10 the first thing i do is install LineageOS, why stick on EMUI? https://openkirin.net/download/

Too bad they no longer give unlock codes, so your SoL if you go out and buy a mate today

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It is still weird they would refuse if you want to pay. I know for a fact that some other companies and official repair shops would do it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Wasn't too long ago where Huawei phones were among the best for rooting and custom firmware thanks to Treble.

They're legitimately worse than Samsung at this point when it comes to that. At least the Exynos models can load AOSP (and they even release kernel sources now) but they'll deny warranty if it's tampered. 

Still better than a phone that's a brick 

If you want custom development, the Google phones alongside OnePlus and a few others are still your best bets 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I was about to show how little I use Android. Normally I would have said, why did you root the device......then I remembered that 3rd party versions of Android are usually, really bad. 

Yup on the s8 you can't remap the Bixby button or change the default camera.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

And I wanted to get Honor 10...

Oh well, I guess that leaves Sony on the list

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

32 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

There's an app which allows you to remap the Bixby button 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

36 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Look up on XDA. Both Bixby and Bixby 2.0 are remapable. With a 3rd party app ofc. 

1 hour ago, Quadriplegic said:

And I wanted to get Honor 10...

Oh well, I guess that leaves Sony on the list

Nokia is back in the game, take a look at them instead. their devices are really nice, (if you ignore the Nokia 8 sirocco)

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Nokia is back in the game, take a look at them instead. their devices are really nice, (if you ignore the Nokia 8 sirocco)

7.1+ Androind One is tempting, but it's more like a brick than actual mobile device

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

1 minute ago, Quadriplegic said:

7.1+ Androind One is tempting, but it's more like a brick than actual mobile device

what do you mean by brick? they seem very sleek though using the 16:9 aspect ration makes it a bit square

the good thing with android is that there is so much to choose from that there will always be at least some company doing the right thing, if nothing else because it sells. 

25 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It really depends if it was intentional on their part.

It is. Huawei has had shitty practices all over the place. Furthermore, there was a talk that the devs from XDA would approach Huawei to convince them to be more open to the community. Enter, this. 

An existing update on P9 already scans your device for root. And if the creator of Magisk got the info that the existing update will do that... well, quite an unfortunate bug to predict.

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

what do you mean by brick? they seem very sleek though using the 16:9 aspect ration makes it a bit square

It's just too big.

I don't need big screen if it makes phone hard to use with single hand. Hence why I am looking at smaller devices. Honor 10 is quite big, but still more or less OK, but bigger devices, like 7.1+ or 1+ 5T are simply too big

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

4 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

It's just too big.

I don't need big screen if it makes phone hard to use with single hand. Hence why I am looking at smaller devices. Honor 10 is quite big, but still more or less OK, but bigger devices, like 7.1+ or 1+ 5T are simply too big

take a look at the Nokia 6.1 or maybe the 6 plus. the 6 plus is a bit larger than the 6 and cutting it close to 6 inches. it is hard to get a smaller phone without steping down a pricetier or two from flagship

15 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

What's the point of doing something like this? Are they just trying to pull an Apple and become less consumer-friendly at this point?

Probably to ensure that their services are used instead of others. 

14 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

A lot devices don't get more than one android update and 2-3 minor updates. Even more don't get a major update. And a notable amount of devices don't get updates at all. The community has made up for lazy companies that don't care about user security and only their own money by porting updates to rooted devices using ROMs like LineageOS. I'm running Android Oreo on my S5 currently and will likely be getting Android Pie within a few months. This can't be said for any S5 that wasn't rooted.

Something thats not a real issue for iPhone users as they still support phones years in the past. If Android could remedy this then this would be the last hurdle to make Android the superior OS. As Android itself is a fantastic OS, just this one thing annoys me.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Look up on XDA. Both Bixby and Bixby 2.0 are remapable. With a 3rd party app ofc. 

That was my point. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

11 hours ago, jsjones008 said:

Which is illegal, both USA and EU:

https://www.xda-developers.com/xda-external-link/rooting-cannot-legally-void-your-warranty/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1998801

Ok, Huawei has been blacklisted for me. I rooted my Huawei phone and liked Huawei but this dirty tactic makes me put this shit on blacklist.

Good job, Huawei.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280