Rouge protein shake on keyboard, wat do?

UmaruLover

Spilled some real sticky protein shake onto my G915 wireless keyboard. Not great, so I turned it off, tried to wipe inbetween the keycaps with kitchen paper, and left it upside down for 30 minutes.

Booted it back up again after that, because I've got shit to do this next week, only to find it registering seemingly phantom keystrokes right on the alt and ctrl keys, and with the rgb for the 4,5,6,7 keys being pure white, with normal rgb only flicking through the white on occasion.

I then removed a bunch of keycaps and cleaned directly with a wet paper towel, and no change seemingly. I've currently given up on that keyboard for the next day or so, and it's laying face down on a windowsill for some sun, with all the keys vaguely within the splash radius stripped and in a pot filled with soapy water.

I don't have all too many concerns about the soapy water + plastic, but what should I do for the actual board itself? On visual inspection, there still seems to be water/ shake on the key-switches and in them, so do I just leave it upsidedown for a day and hope, or do I go at it a little more proactively. 

18 minutes ago, UmaruLover said:

Spilled some real sticky protein shake onto my G915 wireless keyboard. Not great, so I turned it off, tried to wipe inbetween the keycaps with kitchen paper, and left it upside down for 30 minutes.

Booted it back up again after that, because I've got shit to do this next week, only to find it registering seemingly phantom keystrokes right on the alt and ctrl keys, and with the rgb for the 4,5,6,7 keys being pure white, with normal rgb only flicking through the white on occasion.

I then removed a bunch of keycaps and cleaned directly with a wet paper towel, and no change seemingly. I've currently given up on that keyboard for the next day or so, and it's laying face down on a windowsill for some sun, with all the keys vaguely within the splash radius stripped and in a pot filled with soapy water.

I don't have all too many concerns about the soapy water + plastic, but what should I do for the actual board itself? On visual inspection, there still seems to be water/ shake on the key-switches and in them, so do I just leave it upsidedown for a day and hope, or do I go at it a little more proactively. 

wash it under water and make sure the water really cleans it. take off the keycaps when you do this, and you could even dissassemble it if your comfortable with it. If you do this make sure that you leave it to dry for at least 2-3  days. It might seem weird to do with electronics but they cant get damaged by water if it's properly dried off.

5 minutes ago, robotxbot said:

wash it under water and make sure the water really cleans it. take off the keycaps when you do this, and you could even dissassemble it if your comfortable with it. If you do this make sure that you leave it to dry for at least 2-3  days. It might seem weird to do with electronics but they cant get damaged by water if it's properly dried off.

It was a pretty small spill, is there anything less drastic possible? Just running over her with a cloth and some cleaning alcohol? It's not cooked in and of itself, I assume there's just a little something in the switches, which I assume will dry out.

Question whether stuff got into the switches and/or on the PCB underneath. I don't own a G915, so I don't know how far you can disassemble it, but you can try to wipe down the keyboard with a damp cloth or something.

Rubbing alcohol should also work to clean out the switches, be aware though that you remove a lot of any lubricant in there. Plus could just spread more in the switches, if you can't rinse them out.

Not sure if the board is hotswap, in that case you could simply pop out all the switches, clean them and then reassemble it or replace broken switches.

Unfortunately that's pretty bad, especially with a keyboard with soldered in switches, 2 thing are happening, either the solder pads on the board are somehow bridged due to the spill, or worst case scenario the sticky stuff got in some switches meaning you're kinda screwed, but that's unlikely to happen given the shape of the switches and the keycaps protecting them.

My advice would be to take it apart and scrub the board thoroughly, preferably also removing all the key caps as well so you can get in all the crevices.

You should consider taking it apart completely and cleaning the areas directly - connections(whether the solder joints themselves, or the internal parts of the switches) are probably bridged now if you have phantom input.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch