Dying while owing paypal money is unacceptable

spartaman64

E-payments company Paypal sent a deceased customer an email more or less stating that the cessation of life functions—and thus an inability for the customer in question to clear their remaining account balance—was a violation of site policy.

37-year-old UK woman Lindsay Durdle died of breast cancer that had spread to her lungs and brain on May 31st, 2018, her husband Howard Durdle says he provided Paypal with documentation including “her death certificate, her will and his ID, as requested.”

n response, Paypal wrote the Durdle household a letter reading in part:

Dear Mrs. Lindsay Durdle,

This is a default notice served under section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Your account has an outstanding balance of £3,240.72.

Provision of Agreement Breached

You are in breach of condition 15-4(c) of your agreement with Paypal Credit as we have received notice that you are deceased. In accordance with condition 15-4(c), we are entitled to close your account, terminate your agreement and demand repayment of the full amount outstanding.

Nature of Breach

This breach is not capable of remedy.

Dhu59qRW0AAlYmj.jpg:large

According to the BBC, Paypal staff told Durdle that this was not supposed to happen, that it was either the result of a bug, bad template, or human error, and written off the debt in the meantime. Durdle told the news agency that while he was “in a reasonable place at the moment,” he is a member of Widowed and Young charity and “seen first-hand in there how a letter like this or something like it can completely derail somebody.”

According to the Next Web, Paypal sent over a statement apologizing for the incident:

We apologise unreservedly to Mr Durdle for the understandable distress this letter has caused. As soon as we became aware of this mistake, we contacted Mr Durdle directly to offer our support, cleared the outstanding debt and closed down his wife’s account as he requested. We are urgently reviewing our internal processes to ensure this does not happen again.

I have no idea how this happened. I understand wanting to collect money that is owed but there no need to be a dick about it. If its an automated message maybe its more understandable but I'm confused since the letter mentions that the person is deceased so its not like its a completely confused bot.

https://gizmodo.com/paypal-dying-while-owing-us-money-is-unacceptable-to-u-1827499095

What the actual f**k.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

How tf do you owe PayPal over 3000£?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

How tf do you owe PayPal over 3000£?

paypal has like a credit card system

i think this is a combination of human error and an automated message.

some employee entered the details of the account holder into the system, (this is why it states that she is diseased) and the system pooped out this message stating the facts it now knows.

a bad coincidence i would say.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

paypal has like a credit card system

still, who goes in over 3K on a credit card?

"According to the BBC, Paypal staff told Durdle that this was not supposed to happen, that it was either the result of a bug, bad template, or human error"

So basically no real story there?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

7 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i mean my dad goes over 50k near the end of the month but he pays it all off every month (its a business credit card)

PayPal are scum.

They sent debt collectors after me because some Chinese dude got access to my account (it was empty as I had used it once at best) and started doing strange currency exchanges. It ended up like negative $10. I asked them to just shut down the account but no can do. Because the balance is negative. Then roll back the transactions as I'm obviously not in China and sudden strange activity should trigger a warning. They didn't wanna do that. At least not without a ton of personal information. I refused to give away information when I wanted the account shut down or pay for false transactions. I had contacted the debt collectors and they didn't know much either. That was like 5 years ago and haven't heard from them since...

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

what's the difference between using a debit card and a credit card when consistent settlement on time is possible? o_o

there are lots of rewards and stuff when using credit cards they help you improve your credit score and in cases of fraud with a debit card you lost your money which can cause you financial problems as you wait for your bank to process your request while with a credit card you didnt lose any money. 

17 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

"According to the BBC, Paypal staff told Durdle that this was not supposed to happen, that it was either the result of a bug, bad template, or human error"

So basically no real story there?

Yes, they told that after they were bashed by the Media, not before.

And THAT is kinda the Problem...

Normally many companys accept it if you tell them that the person is dead...

Of course the Problem is that there is a big minus in her account, for whatever reason...

So they were trying to get the money.

But then the husband got media attention and they walked back and said the usual bullshit that that shouldn't have happened and that it has to be an error when there isn't necessarily evidence for that. 

If it was an error, why did they apologize after the media attention and not before??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I'm guessing it was some over stressed worker with a quota to meet.

35 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

many people do so for various reasons, some because they make bad decisions and some because they need to.

I travel much for work and put everything on my credit card so i dont have to pay before i actually get the money back from my company, its not uncommon for me to have a balance of 2000€ on it simply because hotels and rental cars can get expensive very quickly.

32 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

what's the difference between using a debit card and a credit card when consistent settlement on time is possible? o_o

In the UK at least, you get way more protection if you use a credit card rather than a debit card to make purchases over £100.00 in value. Basically if anything goes tits up (e.g. airline you purchased goes bankrupt etc.), at all and the value of your purchase is between £100 & £30k (if I remember correctly) you get refunded by the CC company no problem, even if you only part paid for it on a credit card, you get refunded the full value. Debit cards, are much more hit and miss, while you will often get refunded, it is not guaranteed nearly as well.

It's impossible that this is a bug unless they were using AI to process mails.

I can see this however appearing as maybe one reading "deceased" as "diseased" and are requesting a termination of account.

But I am unsure since I can't seem to find what "condition 15-4(c)" actually is.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

As someone who's wife died,  I can assure you it is always difficult with large companies.  All the first contact people in most large companies are glorified phone staff.  I highly doubt this was an automation error and it is likely some new staff member who thought they were allowed to collect in this manner.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Shoudnt the husband have assumed the debt when he sent the wifes documentation about her death? Maybe the problem started there, the debt is his now i'm pretty sure.

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Shoudnt the husband have assumed the debt when he sent the wifes documentation about her death? Maybe the problem started there, the debt is his now i'm pretty sure.

It does, but the wording of the letter was horrendous, which was the main reason for the outrage

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

It does, but the wording of the letter was horrendous, which was the main reason for the outrage

Yeah, who the hell writes a letter (or email for that matter) to the deceased person as if that person could read it?

"Dear Mrs. Lindsay Durdle

(...)

we have received notice that you are deceased".

I expect that from Monty Python gag but not from a company IRL.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

15 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Yeah, who the hell writes a letter (or email for that matter) to the deceased person as if that person could read it?

"Dear Mrs. Lindsay Durdle

(...)

we have received notice that you are deceased".

I expect that from Monty Python gag but not from a company IRL.

it should be directed to the heirs. At least in my country that's how it works, i still receive letters like that being my fathers heir. 

The worst part is that they inform the diseased that they intend to inform her executors or representatives in point 4 of the letter. Genious xD

32 minutes ago, asus killer said:

depends on the state/country and depends on the contract. in most states i dont think he assumes the debt unless he was a cosigner 

You are in breach of condition 15-4(c) of your agreement with Paypal Credit as we have received notice that you are deceased. 

Without context this would be the funniest line I've ever read...

I can see how this might result from a bad template. Presumably the operator initiated the contract termination procedure, clicked on the wrong termination template (breach of contract as opposed to termination request or something) and wrote "deceased" in the "reason" field.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*