Nintendo moves to ban online access to all Switch devices owned by alleged "Hackers" (read: Anybody breaking Nintendo EULA)

AlTech

Nintendo is moving to ban online access to all devices owned by alleged "Hackers" (read: modders in the Switch Modding community and anybody breaking Nintendo EULA).

Previously Nintendo only banned specific devices which had homebrew software on there if the owner was an alleged "Hacker". 

But now, all devices owned by an alleged "Hacker" or anybody breaking the Nintendo EULA will be banned. The only online access on the banned devices allowed is operating system updates and existing game updates. The players would no longer be able to buy new games for the Switch effectively.

And if any "Hacker" attempts to contact Nintendo about this like a reasonable person might, Nintendo will just say they cannot cancel the account ban.

So yeah, Nintendo being the overprotective parent again -_-.

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This is Nintendo's cash cow and any company will protect it. Piracy will eventually happen (even if the bulk of people are against it). Hacks will happen and technically Nintendo is doing best by their customers. By providing a hacker less area for people who play by their rules. I have nothing against this.

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So yeah, Nintendo being the overprotective parent again

so you think Nintendo should just let all criminals slide?

Just when I thought I could by a nintendo switch for a really cool pocket-linux system & console. :(

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Running homebrew software doesn't mean that they're criminals.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

12 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I put "Hackers" and not Hackers since 99% of people modding switches are not criminals or hackers.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

This is Nintendo's cash cow and any company will protect it. Piracy will eventually happen (even if the bulk of people are against it). Hacks will happen and technically Nintendo is doing best by their customers. By providing a hacker less area for people who play by their rules. I have nothing against this.

I have a really large problem with this

If I buy a TV and I use it as a surfboard,I shouldn't be banned from ever buying a DVD. 

My life

@HimommiesTheres a difference what you're doing doesn't effect others who bought that tv. If I buy a laptop and hack the us government I shouldn't be stopped because I own that laptop. its the same logic just on a different scenario. If there was a mod that ONLY let you run your own software and never any pirated games or hack certain multiplayer lobbies I wouldn't argue. this is coming from someone with a jailbreaked iphone and a jailbroken ps3 I like doing it but it doesn't mean I can argue against a company getting mad about it.

Just now, Ohsnaps said:

@HimommiesTheres a difference what you're doing doesn't effect others who bought that tv. If I buy a laptop and hack the us government I shouldn't be stopped because I own that laptop.

The analogy you made is totally different to this situation.

It's like you buy a graphics card and then tear off the warranty void if removed sticker just cos you want to see the PCB cos you're interested. Does that mean your warranty should be voided? No, since you did nothing wrong. 

Just now, Ohsnaps said:

@HimommiesTheres a difference what you're doing doesn't effect others who bought that tv. If I buy a laptop and hack the us government I shouldn't be stopped because I own that laptop.

If I buy a laptop and hack the US government,If i come out of jail,I can still buy a laptop.Also not evreyone that installs homebrew is pirating shit too.I should be able to whatever I want with my switch,a problem only arises when I do pirate something.

This is like banning bittorent because it can be used for pirating 

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

If I buy a laptop and hack the US government,If i come out of jail,I can still buy a laptop.Also not evreyone that installs homebrew is pirating shit too.I should be able to whatever I want with my switch,a problem only arises when I do pirate something.

This is like banning bittorent because it can be used for pirating 

Or like banning people from buying laptops because they can be used to hack.

Really so let me buy a car and get drunk and crash into people WOW they took away my right to drive I BOUGHT IT LET ME DRIVE IT. This is the same scenario there are rules when you own something if you own a gun you have to follow rules you can't do whatever you want with it. We live with rules your switch has a rule book and an agreed online ruleset that says you can't run what ever you want on it. If they bricked the console I could agree but they aren't there only saying you can't use online.

The people who are comparing this to ludicrous things really have no idea what they're talking about. You're acting like this is a ban on people doing something illegal or wrong.

There is nothing illegal about modifying the software on a device. This is the Nintendo switch equivalent of rooting/jailbreaking your phone. It's a protected user right to run the software of your choosing on the hardware you buy.

People need to stop conflating hacking (the community that develops low level software modifications and compatibility software), with hacking (gaining illicit access to services and cracking), with hacking (cheating at a game with third party tools). Nintendo here is cracking down on the first, not the second two.

Blocking the system from OS upgrades? 

That's a bit extreme 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

ITT People who've never had consoles banned from XBL or accounts on PSN for same thing. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

20 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Blocking the system from OS upgrades? 

That's a bit extreme 

If you read the OP, OS updates are one of the few things that don't get blocked.

10 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

ITT People who've never had consoles banned from XBL or accounts on PSN for same thing. 

When? I had Linux installed on my PS3 and never heard of anyone getting banned for that.

I know tons of people who had unlocked and installed Kodi on their Xbox and were fine.

What bans are you talking about?

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

When? I had Linux installed on my PS3 and never heard of anyone getting banned for that.

that was an officially supported feature you jackass 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

that was an officially supported feature you jackass 

Umm the name calling isn't necessary, and it was only an officially supported feature early on in the consoles life cycle. Towards the end it was officially unsupported and locked off unless you forced it on with exploits.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

If you read the OP, OS updates are one of the few things that don't get blocked.

*face-palm*

I read that totally wrong 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Umm the name calling isn't necessary, and it was only an officially supported feature early on in the consoles life cycle. Towards the end it was officially unsupported and locked off unless you forced it on with exploits.

if you successfully connect any console with CFW to PSN without some kind of up to dat workaround, it may get banned. This is a fact. Mostly it would prevent you from even connecting. 
This is the same with XBL 

You know this, and you also knew that linux was not only official when it was released, but it doenst connect to psn anyway so how would it get you banned? 

I stand by the jackass thing. You knew what you were writing. 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 hours ago, Ohsnaps said:

I like doing it but it doesn't mean I can argue against a company getting mad about it.

Oh, I can't argue against companies getting mad either. I may have problems with their anger management, though.

3 hours ago, Ohsnaps said:

Really so let me buy a car and get drunk and crash into people WOW they took away my right to drive I BOUGHT IT LET ME DRIVE IT. This is the same scenario there are rules when you own something if you own a gun you have to follow rules you can't do whatever you want with it. We live with rules your switch has a rule book and an agreed online ruleset that says you can't run what ever you want on it. If they bricked the console I could agree but they aren't there only saying you can't use online.

I have never related my gun ownership to my game console ownership. The federal government wont throw my in prison for putting a vertical grip on the wrong size of game console. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Not surprising.  Nintendo kind of all ways been protective of their products.

Then again, I knew a few individuals that even managed to get banned on Xbox and Playstation consoles because of soft and/or hard mods.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Who cares? lol. Never bought a Nintendo console to play online.

i dont see the issue here, they are banning those who break the user agreement from getting into online games, not bricking the device

11 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

i dont see the issue here, they are banning those who break the user agreement from getting into online games, not bricking the device

This seems a bit extreme though.

The players would no longer be able to buy new games for the Switch effectively.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!