Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

How many macans and taycans do I have to buy in order for my local Porsche centre to allow me to be added to the list?

Porsche isn't Ferrari.  They aren't even McLaren or Lamborghini.

Porsche will basically make whatever you want--however you want--if you pay them enough.

6 hours ago, IPD said:

Porsche will basically make whatever you want--however you want--if you pay them enough.

They're attempting to put a stop to this with only allocating certain more collectible models to only certain people (GT3, GT3 RS, Sport Classic, yada yada)

But yeah, with basically any less collectible model you just pay over whatever the price was on your config, and then eventually it gets delivered to your closest dealer and you go pick it up. Done.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

7 hours ago, Derkoli said:

They're attempting to put a stop to this with only allocating certain more collectible models to only certain people (GT3, GT3 RS, Sport Classic, yada yada)

But yeah, with basically any less collectible model you just pay over whatever the price was on your config, and then eventually it gets delivered to your closest dealer and you go pick it up. Done.

Will backfire.  Porsche is probably the easiest brand to "clone" the cosmetics of the top-end cars (in this segment).  You aren't turning a California into a La Ferrari. 

There's a lot of stuff in here I agree with 100%--and why I will probably never be a Porsche guy.

19 hours ago, IPD said:

Porsche isn't Ferrari.  They aren't even McLaren or Lamborghini.

No they've been doing it for a while now, I've done work for someone who wanted a 991.2 GT3 and 3 dealerships flat out told him no before he found one that would put him on the waiting list. As below

12 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

20 hours ago, Derkoli said:

I'm on the waitlist for the new 992 GT3 RS

Lucky sod 😂

Would love a Porsche for myself some day but the way current prices are going all the half decent models are gonna be far beyond my reach. 

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Lucky sod 😂

Would love a Porsche for myself some day but the way current prices are going all the half decent models are gonna be far beyond my reach. 

Pretty sure paying of a 1st house's mortgage/s is much more important than glorified, over-hyped german sheet-metal.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Pretty sure paying of a 1st house's mortgage/s is much more important than glorified, over-hyped german sheet-metal.

k mum

12 hours ago, IPD said:

Porsche is probably the easiest brand to "clone" the cosmetics of the top-end cars

You don't buy a Porsche for the cosmetics. The driving experience, reputation, support and quality are why you buy a Porsche. It's a drivers brand first and foremost.

7 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

No they've been doing it for a while now, I've done work for someone who wanted a 991.2 GT3 and 3 dealerships flat out told him no before he found one that would put him on the waiting list

Honestly, a lot of getting put on a waitlist depends on how many of each model the dealership has been allocated. They can only sell a certain number of each car per year.

My nearest dealership is the closest Porsche dealership to about 950k people. Because of that, they get allocated more cars than alot of UK dealerships. So it's pretty easy to get on a waitlist with them.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

You don't buy a Porsche for the cosmetics. The driving experience, reputation, support and quality are why you buy a Porsche. It's a drivers brand first and foremost.

You could apply all of those to a Miata...and have about 6 Miata's for the price.

30 minutes ago, IPD said:

You could apply all of those to a Miata...and have about 6 Miata's for the price.

But what if I wanted a 911.

I can literally resell all my cars at a significant profit - they're more of an investment than a purchase at this point.

7 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I can literally resell all my cars at a significant profit - they're more of an investment than a purchase at this point.

It's perfectly OK to like a car just because you like a car, don't need to justify it to anyone but yourself. I love my Celica, it's old and slow but I like what I've made of it and I enjoy driving it. There's MUCH objectively better cars but subjectively it's almost perfect to me.

33 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I have heard similar rationale about why someone buys Apple products.  Neither here nor there.  Just saying.

---

I'm the kind of person who would feel ill if I didn't keep a car for at least a decade.

Electric Dodge Charger Daytona concept is well… weird

Was anyone asking for electric cars to make loud fake noises? It doesn’t even sound good from the clips I’ve heard it’s just weird, and if implemented, i feel like it’ll be a nuisance 

Also center lock wheels lol. I doubt that makes it, but it may 

the concept looks so futuristic but they always do 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Was anyone asking for electric cars to make loud fake noises? It doesn’t even sound good from the clips I’ve heard it’s just weird, and if implemented, i feel like it’ll be a nuisance 

Sounds like if someone plugged the line in to a subwoofer into a 220v outlet.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

4 hours ago, IPD said:

Why would you want 6 miatas? 

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

One for each day of the week silly

What kinda week you got there?

1 hour ago, Derkoli said:

What kinda week you got there?

An American one

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

There used to be a time when it was ballsey to bring concept cars to production.  Shiro Nakamura had something to do with this, I'm quite sure.

But yes, fake car noise has been a thing for many years now.  I dislike it in the extreme.  Silent is better--always will be, imho.  Doubly so if you are going on long trips.

Same reason I'm trying to get an electric motorcycle.  I don't want to have to wear hearing protection just to go to/from work.

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Fair.

Monday: MX5

Tuesday: BRZ

Wednesday: 400Z

Thursday: Mustang GT

Friday: Q60

Saturday/Sunday: Corvette

8 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

As someone who owns 1 Miata. 1 is plenty lol 😂 

I’d honestly love to own 4-5 different cars but I don’t have the garage space is my main problem lol 

id like to keep them in better shape you know… by not parking them outside in swampland? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 hours ago, vetali said:

Sounds like if someone plugged the line in to a subwoofer into a 220v outlet.

I know marketing always has to be this way but it’s so weird seeing how “proud” they are about it and then hearing it right after lol 

Spoiler