Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

19 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Yikes....

-snip-

They just fired up that pipeline that was down.

in a few days these dudes will be stuck with their gas. let them be stuck.

freaking idiots makes me mad. Just like the toilet paper thing all over again 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

They just fired up that pipeline that was down.

in a few days these dudes will be stuck with their gas. let them be stuck.

freaking idiots makes me mad. Just like the toilet paper thing all over again 

I understand having some gas at home in the event of natural disaster, but hoarding at these levels is absolutely INSANE.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

Yikes....

-snip-

Raleigh, lol, explains everything.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:38 AM, TVwazhere said:

So I spent the night replacing the ball joint I left on initially because I thought we could get away with it since the CV axel would not come out of the steering knuckly..... A lot of jerky steering later and I'm back under the car.

20210505_190025.thumb.jpg.4f927f016fad1e854d7221c0745d7a10.jpg

The nut cant come off the top without the whole control arm moving slowly down, so it's a slow panful 1/6th turn wrench at a time job.

20210505_191745.thumb.jpg.b165bb4a226802ed279fa787d89d1a9c.jpg

I know this pain, I had to do mine in the R33 Skyline recently in the rear to install my new Lower Control Arms and it had the same issue with clearance between the ball joint and the axle. I didnt want to go through the effort of taking the axles out so had to use a pickle fork and a trolley jack as well. Had to also cut away the boot on the balljoints (otherwise the pressure would pop the fork back out) and hammer it with a mallet while i jacked it up to keep the fork in place..absolute pita. 

Heres with the new coilovers, lower control arms, camber arms, sway bar, and toe arms and lock arm (to remove rear steering). I don't miss working on the suspension 😂

image.thumb.png.f8fbca13c91065fc199a48569ca4c968.png

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 5/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, arnavvr said:

Yikes....

Spoiler

chrome_2021-05-12_17-59-40.png

Screw Scalpers

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The other day the old man bought parts for da whip and you already know it was gonna be origami time. Not pictured is the swaybar because I'm a dumb idiot and forgot it was under a table inside. Very interested how this thing will handle, even though I have no reference as I haven't even driven it yet. Stiffer struts all around plus a 33mm solid swaybar for up front as opposed to the stock 22mm hollow one (which was snapped to begin with). Theoretically the students at his school should have 'er all wrapped up by the end of the day on Monday. Then maybe just another week after that for title/plate and insurance. 👀

image0.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

FCS are bottom barrel garbage, I hate using them on customer cars because they don't last but sometimes that's all they can afford when a spring is broken they're cheaper than buying a spring and the extra labor.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

FCS are bottom barrel garbage, I hate using them on customer cars because they don't last but sometimes that's all they can afford when a spring is broken they're cheaper than buying a spring and the extra labor.

Dad used the same brand on our 2004 LeSabre like 60K miles ago and at this point they've well outlived the car itself so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On 2/13/2020 at 10:16 PM, pinksnowbirdie said:

xt47n2.jpg

9r1qau.png

Tried again for my full license and I was SOOOOO close. Sadly a One-Way to a Two-Way on the test course confused me and lead me to an automatic failure. Aside from that the examiner essentially said I did well otherwise.

I went to an exam station with their own track for testing.

this thing is fucking sick

43 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Dad used the same brand on our 2004 LeSabre like 60K miles ago and at this point they've well outlived the car itself so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Out of the 10 or so pairs we've sold in the past year we've had 3 struts come back failed, one was knocking like something inside broke, the other two had failed top mounts that were binding and clunking when turning. 15% failure rate is pretty bad. KYB we've had zero failures, Monroe we've had a couple over the past few years fail from leaking. You've got a sample size of 4, I have a sample size of almost a dozen and can compare to several other brands.

The FCS units we have installed ride hard, it feels like a combo of damper valving being too hard and the spring rates being too high. Manufactuers will pick a higher than needed spring rate to combat sag because they're using lower grade spring steel, sure it won't sag but the suspension also won't deflect like it should when you whack a bump and the car now rides like a dump truck. The worst was a 4cyl Caravan, it wad better than the broken spring that ripped a hole in her tire but man did it ride bad. The lowest I'll go for my own vehicles is Monroe, KYB would be my go-to for anything Asian.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Out of the 10 or so pairs we've sold in the past year we've had 3 struts come back failed, one was knocking like something inside broke, the other two had failed top mounts that were binding and clunking when turning. 15% failure rate is pretty bad. KYB we've had zero failures, Monroe we've had a couple over the past few years fail from leaking. You've got a sample size of 4, I have a sample size of almost a dozen and can compare to several other brands.

The FCS units we have installed ride hard, it feels like a combo of damper valving being too hard and the spring rates being too high. Manufactuers will pick a higher than needed spring rate to combat sag because they're using lower grade spring steel, sure it won't sag but the suspension also won't deflect like it should when you whack a bump and the car now rides like a dump truck. The worst was a 4cyl Caravan, it wad better than the broken spring that ripped a hole in her tire but man did it ride bad. The lowest I'll go for my own vehicles is Monroe, KYB would be my go-to for anything Asian.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We've had good luck with them on a handful of cars, and if they're really truly garbage and eat ass after 20K miles I really don't care. I'll only be into this car for 1,300 US pesos or so, throwing another set of struts onto that is diddly shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I rarely if ever do shocks. I think the last set I did at Honda was on a s10 lol. Only ones I see blown out are on odysseys and people rarely want to do them. The monroes on my durango are absolute shite. Was gonna go to bilsteins but I'm probably yeeting that thing with the inflated used car market + wanting something more fuel efficient over the passport. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

25 minutes ago, vetali said:

I rarely if ever do shocks. I think the last set I did at Honda was on a s10 lol. Only ones I see blown out are on odysseys and people rarely want to do them. The monroes on my durango are absolute shite. Was gonna go to bilsteins but I'm probably yeeting that thing with the inflated used car market + wanting something more fuel efficient over the passport. 

I did kyb’s on my corolla and they were fine. Only did it because I was autocrossing that car lol. Just having new ones made it handle a little better. Otherwise it probably didn’t need it. 

my civic sags on the front left. It also makes noises when turning so i assume the mounts are bad. Just nothing feels worth to do anything to that car so I’ll leave it I guess. How long do I have before the mounts come apart and leave me stranded? Lol 

my Miata? I take care of that thing so I recently redid all the suspension. Koni’s with FM springs and poly bushings with Custom sleeve bearings so they never seize up/squeak. It’s pretty nice; just a bit more maintenance to grease all them bushings 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

39 minutes ago, vetali said:

I do everything, from diagnosing communication faults to tires. Quick trick for tires, use a pin stripe eraser wheel to yeet the fuck out of the tape weight backing that's left behind. No scraping, no bitching, no moaning, that rubber wheel on high speed on the pin stripe remover takes it right off and polishes the wheel to clean paint ready for new weights.

Bilsteins are the only shocks that ride like Bilsteins, lol. They do got some secret sauce inside them.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I did kyb’s on my corolla and they were fine. Only did it because I was autocrossing that car lol. Just having new ones made it handle a little better. Otherwise it probably didn’t need it. 

my civic sags on the front left. It also makes noises when turning so i assume the mounts are bad. Just nothing feels worth to do anything to that car so I’ll leave it I guess. How long do I have before the mounts come apart and leave me stranded? Lol 

my Miata? I take care of that thing so I recently redid all the suspension. Koni’s with FM springs and poly bushings with Custom sleeve bearings so they never seize up/squeak. It’s pretty nice; just a bit more maintenance to grease all them bushings 

Those older hondas and suspension clunks/noises go hand in hand. Usually start with sway bar bushings and links. Sometimes strut mounts. Past 150k miles you are looking at stuff like control arm bushings. Luckily that gen doesn't have the trailing arm bushings that are trash in the rear.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I do everything, from diagnosing communication faults to tires. Quick trick for tires, use a pin stripe eraser wheel to yeet the fuck out of the tape weight backing that's left behind. No scraping, no bitching, no moaning, that rubber wheel on high speed on the pin stripe remover takes it right off and polishes the wheel to clean paint ready for new weights.

Bilsteins are the only shocks that ride like Bilsteins, lol. They do got some secret sauce inside them.

Yeah same here but I have been doing a loooooot of warranty diags now that the other tech above me has been slacking like crazy and having an insane comeback to flag ratio. I am still doing like 13+ hours a day with that, but its been rough on a few. I pretty much do tires on used cars only right now. So I really don't care about residue like I do on customer cars for stick on weights.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Every old Honda has a bad trailing arm bushing back there, but they're always waaaayyyyy too rusty to fix. Cracked, ripped, torn but trying to replace it would mean cutting access holes in the body and frame to get to the welded nuts inside, labor alone would be more than the cars are worth at that point.

50 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Every old Honda has a bad trailing arm bushing back there, but they're always waaaayyyyy too rusty to fix. Cracked, ripped, torn but trying to replace it would mean cutting access holes in the body and frame to get to the welded nuts inside, labor alone would be more than the cars are worth at that point.

i think I remember watching ETCG pull one of those out of an odyssey and it was a complete nightmare. Maybe it wasn't the same thing... but nightmare for sure

Spoiler

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

i think I remember watching ETCG pull one of those out of an odyssey and it was a complete nightmare. Maybe it wasn't the same thing... but nightmare for sure

I think it was a civic, but yeah I have never recommended a set of bushings on those because of that vid lol.

17 hours ago, vetali said:

I think it was a civic, but yeah I have never recommended a set of bushings on those because of that vid lol.

Where’s your shop? I’m gonna buy one just to ask you to do it /s 

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Where’s your shop? I’m gonna buy one just to ask you to do it /s 

You remove it and I will press it out and install the new bushing.

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

You remove it and I will press it out and install the new bushing.

8CD84D06-B992-489A-B56B-E4913A2FBBEB.jpeg.4038ce41e2fb47f6f332b9dcede0755c.jpeg

Spoiler

@bcredeur97future plans? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

You're right, there's less fun ways to kill yourself. Cars like this are not supposed to have such engines.

i mean ... the typical LS swap is a tad boring and the stock engine is dog shit 😛

also you wont die unless you have a lack of skill :ph34r:

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

44 minutes ago, Benji said:

Going way over what the dampers and aerodynamics and all are capable of achieving has nothing to do with "skill". The entire car is way too "underpowered" to make use of such an engine.

What are you on about?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h