Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

Can you read? 😉

Such a small car is not made for so much performance and that's all that it says. All these "Oh, I'm gonna swap my little 4cyl for a V8/V10" are bullshit in my opinion and dangerous to boot.

If you watched the video youd know that v10 "only" makes 200hp

You get more from that by slapping a turbo on the standard engine and theres plenty of those about.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 5/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, PandaCopyRight said:

@bcredeur97future plans?

Fun fact picked up a v10 yesterday as a new daily.....which one though ?

Pete

Had a couple at work today.

Just Audi things...

And this one came in for a misfire, no mention of any noises or nothin from the L/F wheel area.

13 hours ago, Benji said:

You're right, there's less fun ways to kill yourself. Cars like this are not supposed to have such engines.

And that's why we do it. 😁

Seriously, I get what you are saying here, a Miata isn't what I'd use for such a project, the torque from it will candy-cane the body like no tomorrow if it's not re-enforced  for it.
HP matters too but the torque is all that's required to twist it up.
Nose heavy and would tend to be squirrley (Oversteer) because the vehicle balance is way off to the front making it way too light in the ass unless you compensate for that with addtional weight at the rear.
It would seem to be plowing (Understeer) and then the back just snaps around with a simple pat of the gas if even that is required.

I know this first hand from when I had a V8 S10 back in the day. Really light out back and would break loose on the spot if you weren't careful - Didn't help it had a shift kit in the trans making it shift hard and quick, it literally popped sideways one night while I was running against someone.

Hit 2nd and I was suddenly looking straight down my hood right at the guy in the other lane, he looked to his left and was like "😱".
All he saw was headlights and grille in his face.
I lifted, it popped back in line with the lane I was in and smoked him.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

13 hours ago, Benji said:

and aerodynamics

Wait, genuinely, huh? I'm not sure what the engine has to do with that unless you're really flying down a race track?

I don't think they'd ever get it going that fast before the windshield collapses back onto the driver.
And the fact it's a convertible makes body re-enforcement all the more important.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

18 hours ago, Benji said:

You're right, there's less fun ways to kill yourself. Cars like this are not supposed to have such engines.

Yawning GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

19 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

@bcredeur97future plans? 

That would actually be a really cool swap. Adds a lot of character to the car and brings the power up to, say a more modern standard, nothing too crazy. 

Probably would be really fun screaming up a mountain road with that thing. 

only problem is that engine is so rare lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

That would actually be a really cool swap. Adds a lot of character to the car and brings the power up to, say a more modern standard, nothing too crazy. 

Probably would be really fun screaming up a mountain road with that thing. 

only problem is that engine is so rare lol 

SIDEPIPES WHEN

So I had narrowed down the noise I was hearing to what I thought was tires rubbing on the strut towers. 15mm spacers did not affect the "rrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise in the beetle above 25mph (unless I'm turning literally three degrees right then it goes away immediately), at this point all I can think of is a wheel bearing, which given how the CV axel would not come out of the car, I'm starting to think it's that... 

Gonna let someone else handle it. I've already done all of the lower control arms and while they weren't bad I just am not well equipped for old rusted and seized parts 

20210517_204909.thumb.jpg.245510c954ed83884b8b6ffad3c0fb7c.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

3 Reasons a Propane Torch Should Be in Your Shopping Cart Right Now |  Architectural Digest

That is exactly what I dont have

Also need a bigger sledge and to put down my purse but I paid $1500 for it, im not putting on the dirty shop floor!!!! 😠

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

That is exactly what I dont have

Also need a bigger sledge and to put down my purse but I paid $1500 for it, im not putting on the dirty shop floor!!!! 😠

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's, they're like $35 😛 Can't be seized if it's liquid!

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's, they're like $35 😛 Can't be seized if it's liquid!

I will definitely get one at some point, however for this job I'm ready to let someone else handle it because who knows? maybe it's not a wheel bearing and it's actually a CV axel or a transmission bearing (?) or a crank shaft or some other BS thing because I'm not actually good at this I just like PC's with lots of holes in them and sometimes i work on cars

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I will definitely get one at some point, however for this job I'm ready to let someone else handle it because who knows? maybe it's not a wheel bearing and it's actually a CV axel or a transmission bearing (?) or a crank shaft or some other BS thing because I'm not actually good at this I just like PC's with lots of holes in them and sometimes i work on cars

That's fair enough 😂 At some point it's easiest to just say fuck it, let someone else handle it.

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm not actually good at this I just like PC's with lots of holes in them and sometimes i work on cars

thats me in a nut shell

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

So I had narrowed down the noise I was hearing to what I thought was tires rubbing on the strut towers. 15mm spacers did not affect the "rrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise in the beetle above 25mph (unless I'm turning literally three degrees right then it goes away immediately), at this point all I can think of is a wheel bearing, which given how the CV axel would not come out of the car, I'm starting to think it's that... 

Gonna let someone else handle it. I've already done all of the lower control arms and while they weren't bad I just am not well equipped for old rusted and seized parts 

Sounds like classic wheel bearing, just wait until it's like the Mazda I posted yesterday!

If you swerve side to side between 20 and 40 mph does the sound change as the weight loads different sides of the car? That's a classic wheel bearing tell tale!

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

3 Reasons a Propane Torch Should Be in Your Shopping Cart Right Now |  Architectural Digest

Not even close to what it actually takes most of the time. Works on little stuff but something like a hub would take that heat and just shed it. You need oxy-fuel torch and a decent size tip to heat that up.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Not even close to what it actually takes most of the time. Works on little stuff but something like a hub would take that heat and just shed it. You need oxy-fuel torch and a decent size tip to heat that up.

two torches

Or a handful. I'm sure that's safe.

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Sounds like classic wheel bearing, just wait until it's like the Mazda I posted yesterday!

If you swerve side to side between 20 and 40 mph does the sound change as the weight loads different sides of the car? That's a classic wheel bearing tell tale!

It's a sound that fills the car; Turning Left makes it a bit louder, turning right is like you're blaring music and suddenly hit the mute button

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

It's a sound that fills the car; Turning Left makes it a bit louder, turning right is like you're blaring music and suddenly hit the mute button

Probably a wheel bearing. If it's a press in style it's a shop job anyway.

8OfGoNz.jpg

Another reason why too much silicone is bad. Pilot came in with an oil leak and some other shop diagnosed it as an rear main seal. Never seen a rear main seal leak on a honda, but the oil pan was just replaced recently and had silicone smeared on everything, so figured it was a bad seal job on the oil pan. Customer okayed it and advisor was up front in saying if it didn't fix it it'd need a rear main and we'd eat the cost of oil pan reseal. Pulled off those rear bolts and tons of oil came out. Thought it was odd, but didn't think much of it.

43atxXR.jpeg

Not a great pic because this was before I knew the shitstorm I was getting into, You can see at the top of the pic, just about where the bolts that cracked the block would be theres a ton of silicone. I took this pic because I was pretty confident the oil pan was leaking. No silicone stuck to the pan. Looked like a good diag. As I am cleaning the engine side of the sealing surface I notice the rear main plate had black silicone. I started to get worried because hondabond is gray. Slapped it together and still leaked. Customer okayed a rear main job and now we are waiting to see if they want to put an engine in it.

Rear main was leaking though. Whoever pulled off the plate and resealed it didn't install the rear main properly and the spring for the seal got dislodged. Plus you can see where silicone was sticking to the main cap there.

kYDg11i.jpeg

So yeah, been a fun day.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Someone stuck the wrong bolt in the wrong hole I assume?

Reminds me of the Oddyssey a while back I think I was bitching to you about the parts dept sending the wrong valve covers twice. Someone tried to do valve cover gaskets and cracked the front valve cover on all 3 front tubes. I'm guessing when they tried to hammer the tube seals in but holy crap how did they not notice it going back together!? Kind of like this, that's gotta be some resistance as it bottoms out and forces through...?

No, silicone hydrolocked the bolt hole. V6 hondas only have 2 sizes of bolts in the pan. Really short, and really long ones. This was in a long hole.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

9 hours ago, vetali said:

No, silicone hydrolocked the bolt hole. V6 hondas only have 2 sizes of bolts in the pan. Really short, and really long ones. This was in a long hole.

Oh! I always clean the silicone off the end of the bolt that's left when I pull them out, but I'll have to be more careful applying it to the pan in the future.