Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

11 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

People that don't like doing something tend not to be very good at it. Case in point, driving. For many, driving is a necessity, rather than fun. They must drive to do what they want. These sorts of people are the easily distracted, or otherwise kind of terrible drivers that self driving cars could do away with. 

Those that enjoy doing a particular activity tend to be relatively good at it. Driving is no exception either, with the particular exception of those boy-racers. 

With this in mind, I believe AI and humans can co-exist on our roads. 

Going 100% AI will greatly improved traffic efficiency and could even negate the need for cars to stop at intersections (everything is communicating and synchronized perfectly) 

So sadly it will eventually be forced upon all of us :(

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Cant outlaw driving, craziness. Going to put poor people at a huge disadvantage.

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

You haven't driven many econoboxes then, apparently.

2.0L NA engine vs what I assume to be at least a >3.0 V6 if not a V8. The engine itself doesn't produce much torque, so it needs gearing (and rpm) to do so. Many small NA engines are geared this way. Given the hills and twisties I commute through, my car has enough power to deal with it and keep up with the other locals given proper gear selection, but only just. A straight uphill climb from full stop to the 55 mph limit does see full throttle and 5-6k rpm. :P

Modern cars carry speed quite well in curves, so I can keep momentum and climb tighter Hills in 3rd gear to save some gas (downshifting to 2nd would be costly here). Even if the power is low, so long as I keep good tires on it, there shouldn't be an issue, just need to keep above 2.4k rpm. Understeer while holding 3rd becomes a challenge when it's wet (wish all cars came with LSD), but easily manageable with a steady hand and foot. I've had the front tires start slipping a bit in the wet before during these climbs, but not enough to trigger traction control (aka, the "you did something wrong light"). 

Turbo cars with smaller engines tend to geared longer, both for gas mileage, and the fact that turbo engines make copious quantities of torque for their size, so they can get away with less aggressive gearing. You may have more experience with these than with small NA engines. 

To be fair my frame of reference is a heavy Mustang with not of power.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

You won't be using 400hp like ever... Maybe 1% of the time when you do a pull 

I wish I had 400 HP.

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Going 100% AI will greatly improved traffic efficiency and could even negate the need for cars to stop at intersections (everything is communicating and synchronized perfectly) 

So sadly it will eventually be forced upon all of us :(

I disagree, I think we'll end up having a different traffic system all together that's separate from our current roadways with analog vehicles.

38 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I disagree, I think we'll end up having a different traffic system all together that's separate from our current roadways with analog vehicles.

roundabouts everywhere.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

43 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

To be fair my frame of reference is a heavy Mustang with not of power.

I wish I had 400 HP.

I've driven a 1.8L car with an SOHC engine that actually made respectable torque down low. However, it made peanuts for power above 3k. It got going easily, but passing requires some long distance, some planning, and a person willing to be passed. 

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Rotaries!

Rotary Hybrid luxury car? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

31 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

"In New England, traffic circles are generally called rotaries"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_circle

Was just a random idea. Rotaries are smooth, and luxury cars should be extremely smooth. A luxury hybrid with a rotary would seem to be a match made in automotive heaven. 

On another note (going back to a previous quote), if I'm stuck behind a slow driver on the winding hills, I too would probably prefer a car with more power. Ordinarily, I can go quite fast just by maintaining momentum, though on my Mazda, it takes a while of engine wringing to get back up to speed if I lose it. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

I can't stand the multi lane ones

They only irritate me when they don't put signs far back enough to give drivers time to merge in to the lane they need.

Do like a rain covered car, less so when the boot starts leaking but oh well

New ABS pump, module and a new key coming within the next couple of weeks hopefully :)

20170724_075738.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

15 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Saw a focus RS in person for the first time. That color is pretty...

IMG_0167.thumb.JPG.2a6bf95eaa0ae6a7a01d8e7d712052e4.JPG

"Nitrous Blue" is what it's called. I've seen one a few times and theyre' very pretty. The boomba brake callipers are painted the same color, and a lot of the aftermarket parts for the RS are available in that color (like the cold air intake pipes for example) Hopefully my ST looks that good when i get the rear spoiler on it and matching color

9 hours ago, terrytek said:

Engineering Explained, Eric The Car Guy (i think he's leaving YT though iirc, so no new vids?), and that's all that comes to mind.

EE has been a huge help to me personally. +1 to this guy, has helped me make some decisions I would have had no knowledge about previously

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

13 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Guy sold the Supra :(

My dad says I should finance a car, best way to build credit. Just need to make sure I will have a job first.

Riperino :(

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I would answer you but I only speak race car. None of that self driving stuff I don't care about. 

But that said more horsepower isn't necessarily better... Just more fun. But it depends on the use case of the car. For street driving you don't realistically need more than 400 hp for anything under 5k pounds.. even that is quite a bit, it's a good maximum tho

You won't be using 400hp like ever... Maybe 1% of the time when you do a pull 

"Why are still single?"

"I only speak race car."

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

13 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Oh my god. I need to be in third gear intentionally to do that and I think I'm still under 4k RPM.. Even the Mustang wasn't geared that short and that was a transmission out of the 80s basically.

That's why i love my camaro (With a similar 80s gearbox xD T5WC FTW) 2200rpm-ish at 120kph 

Compared to the golf's 3500rpm at the same speed. Eco car my arse. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

look what the hoonigans bought.

i'm still surprised they found a working miata for 200. i can't even find one under 500 in my area.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, techswede said:

That's why i love my camaro (With a similar 80s gearbox xD T5WC FTW) 2200rpm-ish at 120kph 

Compared to the golf's 3500rpm at the same speed. Eco car my arse. 

Sounds about the same to me. You're using the same % of total available rpm with either...

That big V6 doesn't rev very high afaik

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Sounds about the same to me. You're using the same % of total available rpm with either...

That big V6 doesn't rev very high afaik

Golf revs to 6.5k Cammy revs to 5.5k So yeah about a 1k difference. 

And the golf is direct injected.

And yet there is still a fairly significant difference. Golf gets 25-26ish mpg. I get 28ish.  

The main issue is probably that you have to rev the nuts off the golf on on ramps to reach highway speeds.

With a complete reversal in town of course. The little 1.6 sips gas in town. 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

7 minutes ago, techswede said:

Golf revs to 6.5k Cammy revs to 5.5k So yeah about a 1k difference. 

And the golf is direct injected.

And yet there is still a fairly significant difference. Golf gets 25-26ish mpg. I get 28ish.  

The main issue is probably that you have to rev the nuts off the golf on on ramps to reach highway speeds.

With a complete reversal in town of course. The little 1.6 sips gas in town. 

Also the Camaro likely has a better drag coefficient I might imagine with how it's shaped. Though a Miata isn't too far off a barn door (0.40 barn door; 0.38 Miata with top down) so I could be wrong lol

But drag coefficient makes a big difference. Also 26 - 28 is only 7.2%.. ehh I guess it's fairly significant 

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Iirc it will turn 5,500?

Pfft 7500 get on my level 

xD

Spoiler

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I can't decide if I want to get a Ninja 250 or something else as my first motorcycle. Oh well. Won't be for a while. 

I was debating a 250 or my 600... ended up just getting the 600 and signing up for a motorcycle safety course. The way I saw it, is that I'd get sick of the 250 within the first year and want to upgrade to a larger bike which would have meant more $$$ most likely. *Unless you flip the bike for profit*

Honestly anything on 2 wheels is amazing though so I wouldn't worry too much... maybe even look into a Grom?

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Also the Camaro likely has a better drag coefficient I might imagine with how it's shaped. Though a Miata isn't too far off a barn door (0.40 barn door; 0.38 Miata with top down) so I could be wrong lol

But drag coefficient makes a big difference. Also 26 - 28 is only 7.2%.. ehh I guess it's fairly significant 

The main thing is that it doesn't rev as high on the highway. 3.5k is way high. Sure it only revs to 3k at 100km/h but man does it drone. 

The camaro sits happily at around 2k ish. And even without the sound proofing of the golf i'm a lot more comfortable with the level of noise. 

And i really need to get some sound proofing for my car. It would be so quiet and nice.. I'll wait until i've changed the oil in the diff though.

I'm still on high alert. The slightest hint of a rear end noise and it is going straight back to the shop. 

Might be a few other factors too. I think the camaro has a larger fuel tank as well so i don't see the needle move as much every drive. 

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Pfft 7500 get on my level 

xD

7000 from my C2 with a rather aggressive red light flashing at that rpm :P

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Also had a bit of a fun conversation about my car today. One of the guys at my job noticed me getting out of it.

"Hey man! Nice car."

-"Thank you"

"Have you had it long? Haven't seen it before"

-"About a year actually. But its a chevy so i share custody with a local garage"

*He laughs*

*I cry*