Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, Legend27 said:

Can someone update me with 5000 pages worth of recap.

Mutha

Fookn

Cars

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

My dad had a 2014 A6 TDI 

Loved that car. 

his has the 3.0L superchaged engine. Gas.

I really like that car. Great daily driver. TDI would of been better but they are like impossible to find now because of the whole incident VAG had :(

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

23 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

his has the 3.0L superchaged engine. Gas.

I really like that car. Great daily driver. TDI would of been better but they are like impossible to find now because of the whole incident VAG had :(

Yeah, ez 40mpg cruiser. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

3 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

thanks for the advice i am kinda confused though ...would you actually buy a car like the 2 you sent? bmw 1xx copupe is awesome and all but those 2 already ran 170k. theyre at the end of their life i wouldnt look twice at a car with those numbers. am i wrong?

also have any suggestions for non german cars? since i currently drive a peugeot already i might go non european completely, cause peugeot parts arent really any more available or cheap than german car parts.

also LPG is cheap yes but it from what i know is that it only turns on once the engine is hot enough and it puts extra heat in the engine and the whole system is just another thing that need maintaning and it eats more gas so it doesnt translate one to one in comsumption

They might need a little bit of maintenance, but they still are a long way from the end of the their life.

I found something interesting and something very interest.

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/toyota-gt86-navi-xenon-scheckheft-gepflegt-benzin-orange-05e09f6b-59ec-4d2b-82b4-51b22559d1b2?cldtidx=19

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/nissan-350z-350-z-35th-anniversary-edition-alu-leder-xenon-benzin-gelb-22790f07-166e-4e19-8933-f05811464323?cldtidx=8 (this one is a thirsty bastard tho)

Can't quite put my finger on LPG. All I know is that it is cheap when compared to regular gas. xD

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

3 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Having had multiple German cars over my adult life, and helping fix numerous friends' german cars (mostly BMWs and VWs)-- if you want reliability and cheap maintenance buy a Japanese car. German cars are neither reliable (exploding plastic cooling systems downright plague BMWs) nor cheap to repair, even if you have the skills and ability to DIY. BMW specifically with turbocharged cars has abysmal reliability and durability. The engine internals are rarely what fail, it's just literally everything connected TO the engine that does. And also the rear chassis sheet metal on older BMWs. And the VANOS. And the power steering leaking so that you know it still has fluid in it. And......

On the flip side, they are fun to drive when they're not broken. Downside, they break often enough that I seriously wonder who fabricated the myth of 'German car reliability' and whether they had ever owned one long term out of the warranty period.

How that relates to Peugeot I have no idea, those are between uncommon and nonexistent here.

Personally I would skip any of the diesel BMWs aside from the *35d models. I know fuel costs are (way) higher in Germany, but if you want a fun car get a fun car. If you want basic transportation and good fuel economy, get a Toyota or a Honda. A gutless boring 1.6L diesel just sounds like pain and suffering to me-- why have a car with a great chassis that can be outrun by a 12 year old on a moped?

As far as BMW gas engines go, I would look long and hard at non-turbo 6 cylinders, as that is BMW's historical strong point. Turbo reliability was horrible in the N54 and N55 engine generations, with fuel pumps, wastegates, turbines, and more all failing. I don't know if the engine you're looking at is a turbo or not, we don't get the 2.3 model here.

The best advice I can give with any BMW is either buy one with a warranty and sell before the warranty is over, or buy used and figure $2-3k per year on average in maintenance if you take it to a shop, half that if you can DIY. Also, be sure to check out the BMW specific forums as there is a very avid community surrounding the majority of BMWs out there (zpost I think is for the E89s).....just don't kid yourself about the running costs. BMW designs these cars to last throughout the first owner's 2-3 year lease period. They rapidly fall apart after that.

And, not to contradict myself-- 170,000km is just over 100k miles. That's nothing assuming the car is in good shape (get a mechanic to look!). You'll need to replace things as they wear out but I wouldn't dismiss it. My own (E36) racecar has 185,000 miles on the chassis (75k mile on E46 M3 engine) and my endurance racing car has a 250k mile engine (Bmw M30B35)we literally pulled from a junkyard and have thrashed for two years. Mileage is an irrelevant number so long as the car has been well maintained, or you have money to throw at it to keep it in good condition. Hell, my daily driver E36 M3 sedan had 140k miles on it when I bought it, and aside from needing shocks and water pump replaced, has been going strong at the $1-2k/yr maintenance cost.

Great post!!! couldn't agree more, every point is spot on..... coming from a BMW masochist 535d E61 daily, Z3 for fun and a m5 for Sunday best.

Pete

4 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

yeah but as i understand it that also means alot of hp per liter and that translates to stress on the engine and it being more fragile?

Generally but ive not heard any horror stories from those units, ive heard more about the VAG 2.0 in the Golf R and the 2.3 Focus engine than the 1.6 Pugs

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

oh good looks bland.

like all cars and trucks now days.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

9 minutes ago, vetali said:

oh good looks bland.

like all cars and trucks now days.

I dunno, that new Silverado looks quite "styled."

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I dunno, that new Silverado looks quite "styled."

Yeah I thought of that as I submitted my reply.

soooo everything looks bland or super overkill tryhard.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

i-d5v22k5-1.jpg

i-hf2pwz6-1.jpg

Looks like it's got some future Ford Ranger in the front end.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I sure hope not. I really like Rams. If they try to poorly ripoff GM designs (that front grill just reminds me of circa 2005 chevys) then it will ruin their aesthetic. I sincerely hope that this is just a ploy to throw other companies off of their actual trail.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:

I sure hope not. I really like Rams. If they try to poorly ripoff GM designs (that front grill just reminds me of circa 2005 chevys) then it will ruin their aesthetic. I sincerely hope that this is just a ploy to throw other companies off of their actual trail.

Where do you see the GM design? It looks more Ford to me, if anything.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Where do you see the GM design

The way the grill and the lights look. Imagine if there were another set of lights directly below the headlights, and a small chrome bar running between the two. 

EDITED TO INCLUDE PICTURE:

2005-Chevrolet-Silverado1500-LS.jpg.ac012067f3b245e4348a76b7e3df8eb0.jpg

34 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

The way the grill and the lights look. Imagine if there were another set of lights directly below the headlights, and a small chrome bar running between the two. 

EDITED TO INCLUDE PICTURE:

2005-Chevrolet-Silverado1500-LS.jpg.ac012067f3b245e4348a76b7e3df8eb0.jpg

It's kinda hard to visualize the RAM with GM styling, mainly bc there isn't a center bar on the grille. I can't really see it. The GM grille is more trapezoidal, whereas the RAM one is more hexagonal.

41 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Yeah I'm not a fan, it's not that signature "miniature semi" look they've had for a very long time.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

It's kinda hard to visualize the RAM with GM styling, mainly bc there isn't a center bar on the grille. I can't really see it. The GM grille is more trapezoidal, whereas the RAM one is more hexagonal.

If you look very closely at the top of the GM grill, there are some slight hexagonal qualities to it. To me it just looks like a modern take on circa 2005 GM aesthetics, with the addition of a RAMish hood.

7 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

If you look very closely at the top of the GM grill, there are some slight hexagonal qualities to it. To me it just looks like a modern take on circa 2005 GM aesthetics, with the addition of a RAMish hood.

Really? The top looks quite straight to me, therefore more trapezoidal. But however you see it, it's still ugly. Really the Tundra is the only good looking truck on the market as of right now tbh.

Just now, terrytek said:

Really? The top looks quite straight to me, therefore more trapezoidal. But however you see it, it's still ugly. Really the Tundra is the only good looking truck on the market as of right now tbh.

Assuming that all are debadged, my order of preference for aesthetics of 1/4 ton trucks (such a misnomer these days) is:

1. RAM
  2. Tundra
  3. GM
  4. Ford

13 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I know at one point my buddy who helped me with my ST was considering selling his Miata and was looking for a truck., Couldnt find the post on Facebook so maybe he's no longer considering/sold it, but there are buyers for almost everything!

Yeah I just have to make my own ad, I'm sure I'll get some takers.

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Assuming that all are debadged, my order of preference for aesthetics of 1/4 ton trucks (such a misnomer these days) is:

1. RAM
  2. Tundra
  3. GM
  4. Ford

For me its:

1. Tundra

2. Ford

3. Nissan

4. GM

5. RAM 

RAM trucks just seem very bland to me. I prefer somewhat bolder trucks, and the Tundra does it well for me, even if it's quite less technologically advanced than everything else.

Just now, terrytek said:

RAM trucks just seem very bland to me. I prefer somewhat bolder trucks, and the Tundra does it well for me, even if it's quite less technologically advanced than everything else.

Are you basing your opinions from in the drivers seat or from the spectators seat? I've sat in all the trucks this past year, and I prefer the RAMs from the drivers seat. I do also prefer them from an external viewpoint however.

8 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Are you basing your opinions from in the drivers seat or from the spectators seat? I've sat in all the trucks this past year, and I prefer the RAMs from the drivers seat. I do also prefer them from an external viewpoint however.

How do the newest models of Rams drive compared to earlier 201x models?

12 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

More of a spectator's seat, because well, I don't think I can be trusted in driving one. But I mean I quite like the Tundra, despite it lacking both a diesel option and some tech features of others, mainly because it's got the reliability Toyotas are known for, and they are very very good offroaders. Plus to me on the outside I  quite like them, since they look really beeefy, with its pumped fenders and high ground clearance and whatnot. I just wished double cabs had a long bed option, they're only stuck with short bed, oh and of course, a worthy diesel option.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How do the newest models of Rams drive compared to earlier 201x models?

I've only driven 2017 RAMS and my gen 2 (2005) Ram. 

In my personal opinion, all of the newer cars I've driven lack throttle response. My '05 has great throttle response, I feel extremely connected to the trucks drivetrain. All of the post 2010 vehicles I've driven feel like mush to me, atleast as far as the throttle pedal is concerned. Like, I'm so connected to my trucks drivetrain that I can will the automatic transmission to shift and it will do so immediately on my command. I have yet to feel that connection with any other vehicle.

The steering is much improved, especially the center detent. I feel much more connected to what the front tires are doing in the 2017's than I do in my 2005. 

The towing capacity of the newer trucks is much higher, but that comes at great cost; The 2017 1500s feel nearly as rough as older 2500s, but the newer trucks are also more capable offroad.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

More of a spectator's seat, because well, I don't think I can be trusted in driving one

Why can't you be trusted driving a pickup truck?