Nvidia's very exclusive measuring device

NumLock21

When Nvidia recruiter Lisa Calderon about to interview someone, she sets a very exclusive item next to her to get the conversation going, and 100% of the time it always works. The exclusive item is only sold in the Nvidia's internal store, and every time they're release, it's sold out within minutes. This exclusive Nvidia item is the Nvidia Ruler, a typical 12 inch ruler with the inches on one side and centimeters on the other. The idea started back in 2016, when VP of Hardware Engineering at Nvidia, Andrew Bell wanted to give the engineers, something they can easily carry with them to design meetings, but it didn't really set off until he noticed that newly hired engineers, who have just graduated from college, all learned their degree in the digital world and applying that to the real world is something they need to better understand. And so the Nvidia Ruler was born, with the help of another Nvidia engineer, John, who designed the ruler on the same machine Nvidia uses to design their other products. On the ruler are actual size layout of gpus, capacitors, mosfets, socs, and other unique markings, where it helps engineers, not to use things too small or large when creating their designs. 

They not only give engineers the ability to see at a glance each part’s size, they show crucial details, such as the position of the scores of ball grid arrays that need to be carefully aligned with the pins on the back of each processor to bring them to life.

NVIDIA’s flagship products are just the highlights on a ruler that’s packed with details. And talking with John and Andy about them is a fascinating crash-course in their craft.

Take the series of holes that increase in size from bottom to top at the center of a table on one end of the ruler. A validation engineer, Andy explains, can use it to measure the diameter of a wire.

The engineer can then refer to another table on the ruler — complete with a handy formula — to calculate resistance per unit of length so he or she can solve for what diameter of wire you need for a board, and know how many volts you’ll drop when you carry a certain amount of current through it.

The ruler itself is a remarkable work of craftsmanship, too. It’s made from a printed circuit boards, the multi-layered sandwiches of fiberglass and copper foil that connect the electronic components inside just about every electronic gadget.

The gold markings are left by the same electroless nickel immersion gold, or ENIG, plating process used in many electronic components. The final product is manufactured by a small shop in Silicon Valley with a long track-record of creating custom circuit boards.

The Nvidia rulers sells for $3.50 from their internal store and so far there are 3 ways to get one

1. Get a engineering degree and work at Nvidia

2. Know someone that works there

3. Get it on ebay where it will cost a lot more

2kZPYGviO0OwWkzg.jpg

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/12/22/nvidia-ruler/

https://www.techpowerup.com/239958/not-too-cool-to-rule-one-of-nvidias-most-coveted-products-is-a-ruler

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Cool I guess? Honestly it's not surprising, I have an old esd mat at my work with the color codes for old resistors that they supplied years ago. I don't think this really is news

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

6 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I mean I feel like anyone could make exact replicas of this no problem given high enough res images of the ruler...

Not really

The ruler itself is a remarkable work of craftsmanship, too. It’s made from a printed circuit boards, the multi-layered sandwiches of fiberglass and copper foil that connect the electronic components inside just about every electronic gadget.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Neato. If I had a use for a ruler I would probably get one of these bad bois.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So thats it?  a freakin ruler? -__-

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

pcb rulers are not all that special. easy to find them, you just wont get the nvidia specific bga footprints

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1554

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

18 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Not really

See https://www.eevblog.com/projects/uruler/

or this : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/ruler-from-digikey/

All the stuff on the nVidia rules are standardized patterns (bga, lga, qfn, soic, ssot223, capacitor diameters and lead pitch) , everything on that ruler can be copy-pasted from existing libraries from circuit layout programs. You'd just need a good picture to figure out the spacing between part footprints and the actual number of contacts on each part footprint (ex if it's soic 28 pin or 32 pin etc)

uRuler.jpg.0dc1c7f0ff69a1f464ef5e8e13a676d4.jpg

ruler1.thumb.jpg.5175472dd13d4cd57739fbef3e4a5b3c.jpg

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

See https://www.eevblog.com/projects/uruler/

All the stuff on the nVidia rules are standardized patterns (bga, lga, qfn, soic, ssot223, capacitor diameters and lead pitch) , everything on that ruler can be copy-pasted from existing libraries from circuit layout programs. You'd just need a good picture to figure out the spacing between part footprints and the actual number of contacts on each part footprint (ex if it's soic 28 pin or 32 pin etc)

that's only 7 inches not 12 inches

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

They cut them out of big circuit boards which are something like 650 mm by 400 mm in size. Smaller circuit board manufacturers use something like 350 mm by 240 mm panels.

The smaller rulers (7" or ~180mm) are probably like that for more efficient use of big panels of circuit board ( 2 x 180mm = 360 mm which is close to 400mm, the maximum height of the panel).

nVidia probably just cuts them the long way from the circuit board panel and doesn't care about more wasted circuit board, more trash...

3 hours ago, Hiya! said:

So thats it?  a freakin ruler? -__-

A ruler to rule them all...

I think they had to so that american engineers kbew about the metric system scale wise!

4 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

A ruler to rule them all...

I think they had to so that american engineers kbew about the metric system scale wise!

y..you made me laugh lol

I thought it was some high tech measuring device for gpu manufacturing purposes or something

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

These aren't uncommon, and are often made by PCB companies as demo products to try and attract new customers. Probably the only unique thing about the nvidia one is the company logo. I'd still want one, along with the Titan USB drive :D

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Neat i guess? Think I'd rather work for AMD but I wouldn't say no if NVIDIA want me once I'm done with uni lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

That's what she said :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

48 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Fun Fact: you guys should have been on the metric system right now, if it wasn't for the word that is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Conversion_Act

(although to be fair it'd probably didn't catch on because some asshats tried to profit off metric rulers.)

Well it's a well put metaphor for the american society itself: arrogantly proud society built ob half assed basis with no intention whatsoever to even try to accept something from the outside.

And that's also why the US sucks at science. They even crashed rockets by not wanting to use the metric system at the beginning...

Why I am saying this is because the metric system us very well thought off scientifically and philosophically speaking, as there just remains the hurdle of defining grams properly, but the rest is air tight!

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Well it's a well put metaphor for the american society itself: arrogantly proud society built ob half assed basis with no intention whatsoever to even try to accept something from the outside.

And that's also why the US sucks at science. They even crashed rockets by not wanting to use the metric system at the beginning...

Why I am saying this is because the metric system us very well thought off scientifically and philosophically speaking, as there just remains the hurdle of defining grams properly, but the rest is air tight!

Well, if you're going to get into America bashing, do realize we excel at all of the sciences. All of them. And it has a lot to do with cultural rejection of unnatural approaches derived from brutalist philosophical products, like SI for casual use. The Imperial System is more naturalistic and understandable in the common measures that interact with daily life. This is the reason we use mostly Imperial, but use SI in scientific applications.

I do love the standard line about Americans not knowing about the rest of the world, yet it never seems to come up that you can simply teach both systems, which we do. 

39 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, if you're going to get into America bashing, do realize we excel at all of the sciences. All of them. And it has a lot to do with cultural rejection of unnatural approaches derived from brutalist philosophical products, like SI for casual use. The Imperial System is more naturalistic and understandable in the common measures that interact with daily life. This is the reason we use mostly Imperial, but use SI in scientific applications.

I do love the standard line about Americans not knowing about the rest of the world, yet it never seems to come up that you can simply teach both systems, which we do. 

And also why being proud and have strict borders now a bad thing it's how you keep the bad people out

40 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Since when?

Nobel prizes and fields medal from the US are European or Asian and were naturalized...

Neural networks are developed in the US, yet it came from a French guy (Le Cun). Computer science started at Princeton with Von Neumann an Hungarian guy. Einstein did a lot in the US but was Austrian. Emmy Noether was from Germany and worked a lot for the US.

Tao earned the US a fields medal and he is Australian borned.

The sole reason there is science in the US is that company in the US pay people a lot and make the best people come. Simple as that.

Well better learn one system and be done with it. It just takes less time to do, and nearly everyone else is agreeing on that, which may not be for nothing...

Those person excepted, basic Americans are just average. And brillant Americans aren't that prevalent and people from everywhere else are just as good or most times better.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Course, if we were really advanced we'd teach duodecimal and hexadecimal as well.