Deshrouded GPU optimal fan placement ?

Go to solution Solved by leclod,
2 hours ago, dead man jack said:

What is the optimal fan placement i have a few sizes in thin fans to work with. 120*15 ,120*14 ,90*15 ,40*10 .

You can't fit 25mm wide (otherwise I'd just use 2 Arctic P12) ?

Two 120*15/14 like on your picture should do fine. I'd ditch the small 40 one.

Dust the heatsink first.

(I recommend Fan Control for controlling the fans.)

and I've always wonder what's the go with the center of the fan where the motor is , dose that block airflow should i line it up with gaps between the two coolers in a perfect world ?

You won't fine a placement with a gap only under the motor.

Edit : Oh ! you're not pushing air, you're exhausting air (or ?)...that might change things (gaps impede performance),

I'd make try outs. Try something, launch a stresstest, check temperature...keep the best one.

(On my cpu cooler, for instance, I even close a gap with cardboard)

IMG_1121.JPG

Had to deshroud my 3080ti (game rock palit) to make it fit in my lain li H20 build. its left me with 19mm to work for fans between the case and the board

What is the optimal fan placement i have a few sizes in thin fans to work with. 120*15 ,120*14 ,90*15 ,40*10 .
including some pics in comment's 

and I've always wonder what's the go with the center of the fan where the motor is , dose that block airflow should i line it up with gaps between the two coolers in a perfect world ?

EDIT: where is a good place to get fan adapters for 4pin to what ever palit is using , my google searches only showed replacement fans .

IMG_20240524_114547.jpg

Just now, dead man jack said:

Had to do a deshroud  mod on my 3080ti (game rock palit) to make it fit in my lain li H20 build. its left me with 19mm to work for fans between the case and the board

What is the optimal fan placement i have a few sizes in thin fans to work with.
including some pics in comment's 

IMG_20240524_114525.jpg

there is also a blow through on the rear of the card ,which might end up having the 40mm or 90mm fan blowing the wrong way due to the power supply likely being right below the blow through .

IMG_20240524_001112.jpg

without fans on it for reference .

IMG_20240524_135328[1].jpg

Posted (edited)

Dust the heatsink first.

Edit : Oh ! you're not pushing air, you're exhausting air (or ?)...that might change things (gaps impede performance),

I'd make try outs. Try something, launch a stresstest, check temperature...keep the best one.

IMG_1121.JPG

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

3 hours ago, leclod said:

Dust the heatsink first.

nah only got 18~19mm between the radiator and case side

ill start with 2 120mm's and experiment a bit .

ill be doing a proper dust and iso wipe tomorrow .

i would like to have fans controlled by the card but ive been unable to find a adapter and i haven't used a multi meter since highschool ,my google searches only came up with replacement fan's .

only on the blow through section at he rear of the card , ill likely not do it that way in the end and just do it normal .

How have you found the temp's after the cardboard mod ?

EDIT : whats up with the blue cords above the motherboard ?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dead man jack said:

How have you found the temp's after the cardboard mod ?

I think it did improve some, but it's difficult to be sure with those things. One day I'm ahead, the next I'm not.

EDIT : whats up with the blue cords above the motherboard ?

That's a cheap 2 * USB3.0 adding from aliexpress

i would like to have fans controlled by the card but ive been unable to find a adapter

True, that's an issue. If you've got enough headers on the motherboard then you're fine (maybe use Arctic P12 PST or F9 PST that you can daisy chain, so you use only one header). Remember, Fan Control to rule them all.

Edit : it's a 3080Ti so things might get hot ! do some undervolting, you might be able to save 1/4 power/heat while keeping 100% performance.

(But maybe you should also underclock...)

And if you really want to connect to the gpu. Aliexpress has stuff that looks the part.

S715d74403f5c43a286a955d2006aec207.webp

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

On 5/25/2024 at 1:53 AM, leclod said:

That's a cheap 2 * USB3.0 adding from aliexpress

Edit : it's a 3080Ti so things might get hot ! do some undervolting, you might be able to save 1/4 power/heat while keeping 100% performance.

(But maybe you should also underclock...)

And if you really want to connect to the gpu. Aliexpress has stuff that looks the part.

Thats pretty cool

definitely  ,will be undervolted or PL .

ill check them out i may have to relearn the multi meter to verify the connector so ill likely take a crack at reusing the connector thats on the stock fan's