NeoGAF forum owner accused of Sexual Misconduct

AlTech

I know this doesn't have huge ties to technology but bear with me.

For those who don't know, NeoGAF is a typically reputable online forum which mainly focuses on gaming.

The owner of NeoGAF is now being accused of Sexual Misconduct.

Influential games forum NeoGAF is in disarray after a woman accused owner Tyler Malka of sexual misconduct in 2015. In a Facebook post that’s preserved here, the woman — identified by Kotaku as a film director who has worked with Malka — said that he followed her naked into a shower against her wishes while the two were in New Orleans on a road trip. While she initially didn’t name Malka, she followed up with a comment reading “Google Evilore,” which is his NeoGAF handle. Kotaku reports that since then, more than half the site’s moderators have quit, and a number of users have written inflammatory posts in protest, hoping to get themselves banned.

This isn’t the first red flag around Malka. As Kotaku and Glixel note, he wrote in a 2012 post about groping a woman who asked him to buy her a drink in a bar, in order to “show that I wasn’t being taken advantage of.” (Malka defended his actions in a follow-up post, then allegedly banned critics.) But this direct accusation was apparently a step too far for many users. The site spent part of the weekend offline for “scheduled maintenance,” then reappeared this morning apparently purged of posts about the incident.

That's really weird and creepy. I've never been a part of NeoGAF but I know Rich from ReviewTechUSA has used the NeoGAF forum countless times as a source in his videos.

It's sad to see the NeoGAF forum become corrupted by someone who doesn't respect people :(.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/16520184/neogaf-tyler-evilore-malka-sexual-misconduct-forum-status

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But this direct accusation was apparently a step too far for many users. The site spent part of the weekend offline for “scheduled maintenance,” then reappeared this morning apparently purged of posts about the incident.

Well, apparently history has repeated itself.  I decided to check out the site after I saw your post, and found this:

NeoGAF is currently down for scheduled maintenance. Please be patient while the site is down.

Question #1: Why was she nekkid in the first place?

Question #2: If she was that distraught about it, and he was just being too Alpha, and it was genuinely unwanted advances, why didn't she contact authorities right then and there?

Question #3: (In reference to the grope at the bar) What ever happened to consent? If I ask for something in return for buying a drink for someone, whatever that may be, and that other person AGREES... then what the flucking shot does she have to be upset about?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

NeoGAF is a load of trash. Kotaku should have died with it. Both of them are deplorable. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

NeoGAF is a load of trash. Kotaku should have died with it. Both of them are deplorable. 

Add Engadget, The Verge, and BGR too.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

gotta love how women can say shit with ZERO EVIDENCE and just wreck peoples lives, I have no idea if there is merit to these claims, I know absolutely NOTHING about the people involved or the site in question, but I do know you don't leave the bathroom door unlocked when you are getting into a shower if you aren't OK with the other people around joining you. this just wreaks of questions regarding this woman's choices. Sounds like she wants a pay day to me.

14 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Add Engadget, The Verge, and BGR too.

Can we add Buzzfeed into the mix too?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

23 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

content_cop_disapproves_by_lone_wolf_tre

What we do here is go back, back, back, back :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

18 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Question #1: Why was she nekkid in the first place?

Question #2: If she was that distraught about it, and he was just being too Alpha, and it was genuinely unwanted advances, why didn't she contact authorities right then and there?

Question #3: (In reference to the grope at the bar) What ever happened to consent? If I ask for something in return for buying a drink for someone, whatever that may be, and that other person AGREES... then what the flucking shot does she have to be upset about?

1. She was going to take a shower.

2. Or you know just tell him to fuck off.

3. Since when does buying a drink equate to consenting towards groping? What the fuck is wrong with your logic?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

>NeoGAF is down

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Here's the funny thing, they've already got a new forum ready basically :P 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/resetera-forums-new-neogaf-replacement

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

But seriously, I don’t think this quite belongs as a thread.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

16 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

1. She was going to take a shower.

2. Or you know just tell him to fuck off.

3. Since when does buying a drink equate to consenting towards groping? What the fuck is wrong with your logic?

1. Okay, what was HE doing there, WHILE she was nekkid and going to take a shower...

2. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't...

3. A woman asked for a drink, he asked for a grope in return. If she said "Okay!" (that's consent), what's wrong with that? Asking does not equate to the action in question.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

1. Okay, what was HE doing there, WHILE she was nekkid and going to take a shower...

Creeping

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

2. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't...

We don't know

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

3. She asked for a drink, he asked for a grope. What's wrong with that?

asking for a grope is some weird ass shit my man

I'm not saying he did or didn't do anything, the courts will probably decide if it goes there.

I used to be quite active here.

3 minutes ago, LtRavens said:

Lol, they were ready. Jump ship! xD

A little like how LTT was ready with a Floatplane after the Vessel sunk :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Kobathor said:

asking for a grope is some weird ass shit my man

I think it's presumptuous as HELL for a woman to ask a man to buy her a drink and not expect to give anything in return. Conversation. Company. A $5 coupon for some copenhagen. SOMETHING! Sometimes the price for what you want is too high... you simply decline offers until you get the price you want. He asked, she either declined, or she accepted. Regardless, two bold people making bold asks on both sides.

System specs:

ITT: A few people who should stay single forever, for the sake of everyone around them and the gene pool.

22 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

>NeoGAF is down

Agreed. Toxic hellhole worse then any chan board.

9 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I think it's presumptuous as HELL for a woman to ask a man to buy her a drink and not expect to give anything in return.

If you buy a woman a drink, you should never expect anything in return. Socially it would make sense that you'd get something back, but if the only reason you're buying somebody a drink is so you can get a ticket to their pants, you're probably an asshole. Never expect. You're not buying a favor, you're buying a drink.

This thread is not destined to be here tomorrow.

I used to be quite active here.

5 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

If you buy a woman a drink, you should never expect anything in return.

Ah, the crux of the matter. ASSUMPTION. If she asks you to buy her a drink, and you do so, you agreed to the terms. She gets a drink, and you get... nothing. You didn't ask for anything in return. You don't get to demand after the deal is made either. That I agree with completely.

System specs:

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

gotta love how women can say shit with ZERO EVIDENCE and just wreck peoples lives, I have no idea if there is merit to these claims, I know absolutely NOTHING about the people involved or the site in question, but I do know you don't leave the bathroom door unlocked when you are getting into a shower if you aren't OK with the other people around joining you. this just wreaks of questions regarding this woman's choices. Sounds like she wants a pay day to me.

Well in this case, there is corroborating evidence suggesting he's behaved badly around women before.  And despite what the chauvinists insist, women are usually telling the truth about these instances because they happen all the time.  That #metoo campaign that was floating around this month?  That wasn't coming out of the blue... it's an acknowledgment that virtually every woman has had men grope, catcall or otherwise sexually harass them at some point.

Also... what?  You think that leaving the bathroom door unlocked amounts to consent for anyone else entering the shower?  No, the only thing that amounts to consent to other people entering the shower is telling them they can come in.  There's an implied consent if both sides are part of a sexually involved couple, but even then, if someone says "no," that's the end of it.