Microsoft Annonces the Surface Precision Mouse - Supports 3 computers Switching - Logitech MX Mouse Inside?

GoodBytes

With the announcement of the new Surface Book 2 (which you can read all about it here on this forum), Microsoft also announces the new mouse. The Surface Precision Mouse it is called.

The mouse focuses on comfort and aims at productivity usage, not gaming. However, it does have adjustable DPI levels.

SurfaceVPdp_1_HeroPDPPanel_2_V1.png.jpg.96efd621adfbc7d93604e54988e57701.jpg

The mouse features:

• Click and free spin scroll wheel similar to the Logitech MX series mouses.
  • Uses Bluetooth (4.0)
  • Can be a wire mouse where data transfer is passed through wire instead of wireless
  • Back and Forward button (a rarity in Bluetooth mouse world for ages, for some reason)
  • Additional configurable button
  • All buttons are configurable.
  • Internal Lithium-ion battery delivering 3 month of battery life
  • Works on MacOS, Windows 7, 8 and 10. Should work on other system as well, but not the software to configure the mouse. The software does not run on Windows 10 S (at least for the moment.. probably a limitation of Store apps which are sandboxes, and probably cannot communicate with the mouse drivers. That is my guess... maybe later it will come)
  • Surface magnesium colors
  • Mouse DPI is adjustable
  • No info on DPI levels.
  • Button to switch devices.
  • Uses Microsoft BlueTrack technology
  • Charges (and wired data connection) via micro-USB cable.

SurfaceVPdp_1_HeroPDPPanel_1_V1.png.jpg.3894ac6e9ec5d61425b8d8bea0a83ed5.jpg

SurfaceVPdp_1_HeroPDPPanel_3_V1.jpg.1d1e1f2cfbc9d66dc87ac72e53088e25.jpg

Manufacture suggested retail price: 99.99$ US

Source 1: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-precision-mouse

Source 2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/accessories/surface-precision-mouse

It is unclear if it has the auto switch feature of the scroll wheel like Logitech MX Master mouse, or if it a button manual switch like the older version of the same Logitech mouse series: Performance MX. At 99.99$ US it is also similarly priced to Logitech MX Master S2 mouse which features very similar features. DPI level, my guess, is probably similar to the Logitech MX Master S2. To me, it looks like Microsoft got some patents from Logitech to make this mouse, and probably has a lot in common. In my opinion, if you don't mind a mouse of different color than the Surface system you have, setup, then the Logitech MX Master S2 might be a better buy. If you care about exact color match, this one should be (assuming good reviews, of course).

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Works on MacOS, Windows 7, 8 and 10

I wouldn't be so surprised that this works on the Mac since many PC peripherals including RGB mechanical keyboards work just fine (with some adjustments) on the Mac.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Uses Microsoft Darkfield technology

What is this? ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

The last Bluetooth mouse I had cost me quite a bit in monthly AAA battery purchases...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Hrmm I'm surprised its micro usb instead of usb type c, at least for when you plug it into the mouse 

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I wouldn't be so surprised that this works on the Mac since many PC peripherals including RGB mechanical keyboards work just fine (with some adjustments) on the Mac.

Well it is the software. The mouse will work fine on Linux even, I am sure.. but the software won't be there.. so probably the 3 button on teh side will be Back and Forward (usual default behavior), and Middle one won't do anything.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

What is this? ?

Ages ago, Microsoft introduced the first optical mouse that can work on any surface. From super glossy to glass (including using the mouse on your window... if that is your thing for some reason). They called the tech: Darkfield (TM)

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

What is this? ?

When they said works on macOS, they probably meant that the software used to configure the mouse will be available on macOS as well. It will of course work as a basic mouse on non-officially supported operating systems, but you won't be able to take advantage of the special features you paid $99 for.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

What is this? ?

Microsoft Darkfield Technology is where the mouse can track movement even on shiny/glossy/mirror surface like glass desk. 

1 minute ago, Shodapop98 said:

Hrmm I'm surprised its micro usb instead of usb type c, at least for when you plug it into the mouse 

Same. What is funny is that, is that I said the same thing for the MX Master S2. Despite a revision of the MX Master, it still has Micro-USB. Don't know why... it would be easier to plug to charge or use (as it also has data transfer when plugged in instead of using wireless) if it was USB Type-C. I guess cost?! Or they need something for the next model.

Microsoft Darkfield

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

What is this? ?

It's that anime thing where energy condenses into a tiny ball before becoming a large beam. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Same. What is funny is that, is that I said the same thing for the MX Master S2. Despite a revision of the MX Master, it still has Micro-USB. Don't know why... it would be easier to plug to charge or use (as it also has data transfer when plugged in instead of using wireless) if it was USB Type-C. I guess cost?! Or they need something for the next model.

I just wish I had something that can use usb-c on my laptop and desktop (other than a flash drive) 

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

Ages ago, Microsoft introduced the first optical mouse that can work on any surface. From super glossy to glass (including using the mouse on your window... if that is your thing for some reason). They called the tech: Darkfield (TM)

I think I've seen this launched together with Windows Me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Microsoft-IntelliMouse-Explorer-3-0-Mouse-/301529407957

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

glass (including using the mouse on your window... if that is your thing for some reason).

My previous desk was completely custom made, and revolved around a 3ft by 3ft piece of 1/2" thick tempered glass, which used to be a window in a commercial space that my company turned into a psychologist's office.

Still got the glass, thinking on how to incorporate it into my new setup without sacrificing floor space.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

MS has been making mice longer than Logitech...I still have some of my old wireless mice from MS.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

MX master clone? and an ugly one....

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

What's next? magic mouse 2 clone?? 

/s

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, atrash said:

Microsoft Darkfield Technology is where the mouse can track movement even on shiny/glossy/mirror surface like glass desk. 

Microsoft is called BlueTrack and it cannot track on glass. The idea was actually sparked by a Microsoft engineer's wife, where she has to work and take care of their toddler, but can't, cause her current mouse won't allow that, and she complained about it. Thus the Microsoft BlueTrack was born, a mouse that works on almost any surface.

Logitech Darkfield came in much later, they have to be different, so they went up a notch and made it also work on glass. Microsoft BlueTrack can be found on almost any Microsoft mice. while Logitech DarkField is only on a few of their mices. Microsoft also has added BlueTrack into their gaming mouse like the Siderwinder X8. Logitech did not add DarkField to any of their gaming mice.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Rumors used to spread about MS wanting to buy Logitech,  they (being the internet know it all's and hitherto unheard of professionals in the field) said it would never happen for X, Y and Z reasons.  I think MS just like the logitech's design principals and manufacturing practices.   And why not, you can either setup an whole department to start from scratch or you can outsource and license an already proven product.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Rumors used to spread about MS wanting to buy Logitech,  they (being the internet know it all's and hitherto unheard of professionals in the field) said it would never happen for X, Y and Z reasons.  I think MS just like the logitech's design principals and manufacturing practices.   And why not, you can either setup an whole department to start from scratch or you can outsource and license an already proven product.

Well, if that happens, I wonder how long till Microsoft kills the company. I'd give it about 3-4 years.

12 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The MX Master is as good or better in every way and is $62.50 on Amazon?

You need to compare MSRP's. Also, the MX Master is discontinued. The MX Master S2 replaces is. So, the availability of the MX Master original is limited and soon will disappear. Also, as mentioned, color.