Microsoft Annonces the Surface Precision Mouse - Supports 3 computers Switching - Logitech MX Mouse Inside?

GoodBytes

Microsoft really suck at making good looking mice and keyboards 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Amazing how you have to detract from reality to defend this new mouse

In what world do you live in?

Look at any accessories from Razor, Logitech, Corsair, etc... you can nearly if not all find them cheaper on other sites either on special, or on Amazon. MSRP means: Manufacture SUGGESTED Retail Price. If a store wants to sale the goods at cost, they can. If they want to sale it at a loss as they want to liquidate them, they can. Here, you want an example with Microsoft, I bought a Surface Pen... MSRP 130$ Canadian. I bought it at Amazon.ca for 90$ Canadian.

I am sure you can find this new Microsoft mouse at 70$ after a few month it has been released.

As for the second point. You might not care about color matching setup... but actually it is important for many. Some people do want a nice desk setup. It feels "premium", and they are willing to pay for it.

7 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Well, if that happens, I wonder how long till Microsoft kills the company. I'd give it about 3-4 years.

It's not going to happen I don't think.  That was back in 2008-9 (or about then).  Logitech are too successful.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/18/2017 at 7:08 AM, anthonyjc2010 said:

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm really pissed that this 100 USD mouse uses USB Micro, not Type-C.

Apart from the ability to go straight C to C, what advantage does it offer on a mouse over Micro USB?  None that I can think of, and I've no doubt that the Micro USB ports are significantly cheaper than the C ports, meaning reduced costs on the mouse.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:06 PM, GoodBytes said:

Well it is the software. The mouse will work fine on Linux even, I am sure.. but the software won't be there.. so probably the 3 button on teh side will be Back and Forward (usual default behavior), and Middle one won't do anything.

Ages ago, Microsoft introduced the first optical mouse that can work on any surface. From super glossy to glass (including using the mouse on your window... if that is your thing for some reason). They called the tech: Darkfield (TM)

Who came up with it first, Logitech or MS? The Darkfield technology, I mean. I remember it being advertised on the Performance MX and on the MX Master.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

On 10/18/2017 at 7:43 AM, GoodBytes said:

As for the second point. You might not care about color matching setup... but actually it is important for many. Some people do want a nice desk setup. It feels "premium", and they are willing to pay for it.

This forum seems to have a very strong double standard regarding that. You can spend out the ass to customize the aesthetics of your desktop, but spend a premium for literally anything else for aesthetic reasons and you're an idiot. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

29 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Apart from the ability to go straight C to C, what advantage does it offer on a mouse over Micro USB?  None that I can think of, and I've no doubt that the Micro USB ports are significantly cheaper than the C ports, meaning reduced costs on the mouse.

Convenience. It's easier to plug in. Imagine the battery dying in the middle of something (eg gaming or some other time sensitive scenario I can't come up with right now)) and you're trying to plug it in.

It would allow both C-to-C and A-to-C. It would get rid of the God awful micro B port. It might also help peripheral manufacturers to find the courage to go all in on type C. Best case scenario would be a C-to-C cable with an included type A adapter that you can leave permanently attached if you need it.

Everything that is micro B today should be type C and some (if not all eventually) type A should transition to C.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

It would get rid of the God awful micro B port.

I don't get the hate for the Micro USB port (not you specifically, just in general).  Aside from the USB 2.0 limitation (which makes no difference on a mouse), I can't see why people despise it so.  It's stable, does what's needed and basically just works.  Yes, I know people have issues with broken ports, but that typically comes down to people mistreating it.  If you yank the cable out at an angle, it's only expected that the port will get damaged over time.  I've seen the same thing happen on Apple Lightning ports, so it's definitely not limited to Micro.

Can anyone enlighten me on what I'm missing?

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

I don't get the hate for the Micro USB port (not you specifically, just in general).  Aside from the USB 2.0 limitation (which makes no difference on a mouse), I can't see why people despise it so.  It's stable, does what's needed and basically just works.  Yes, I know people have issues with broken ports, but that typically comes down to people mistreating it.  If you yank the cable out at an angle, it's only expected that the port will get damaged over time.  I've seen the same thing happen on Apple Lightning ports, so it's definitely not limited to Micro.

Can anyone enlighten me on what I'm missing?

Just a minor inconvenience to deal with micro B; that you have to observe it to plug it in correctly. It's like having a cup holder. It's a small thing but you really learn to appreciate it.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Just a minor inconvenience to deal with micro B; that you have to observe it to plug it in correctly. It's like having a cup holder. It's a small thing but you really learn to appreciate it.

I kind of get that, but as you said it's a minor inconvenience.

I actually found a workaround for that, though.  Not sure how well these will work (so I'm going to test it on a defective phone first, just in case), but I found some magnetic USB Type-C and Micro USB cables with detachable ends.  I already ordered a couple of them, just waiting on them to arrive so I can check them out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Type-C-Micro-USB-Sync-Charging-Charger-Cable-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Plus-/332202924311?var=&hash=item4d58d65917:m:mSkh-ixvX4wQQkayhcjQzXA

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

I kind of get that, but as you said it's a minor inconvenience.

Minor yes, and also USB Type-C is more durable.

But on a 99$ mouse, you would think that they would not cheap out THAT much on the mouse, trying to save the few $0.05 on the connector. Remember that Type-C is nothing more than a type. It CAN very well be on USB 2.0. In fact, there was a period where phones that had USB Type-C where on USB 2.0, and didn't take advantage of the higher Amp support for faster charging... they have done it just to check the box. I think, possibly, and a bit funny, that Microsoft Lumia 950 / 950XL was the first with actual USB 3.0 and taking advantage of the higher current of it to allow faster charging... Anyway, kinda funny that one moment Microsoft goes above and beyond, and now they don't.

To be quite frank. Fuck Type-C for ANY purpose other than TB3. The EXCESSIVELY minor convenience of not having to devote the brain power of a gold fish just to plug somthing in is not worth the EXCESSIVE inconevience that I've had leading out the fucking port every 6 weeks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

To be quite frank. Fuck Type-C for ANY purpose other than TB3. The EXCESSIVELY minor convenience of not having to devote the brain power of a gold fish just to plug somthing in is not worth the EXCESSIVE inconevience that I've had leading out the fucking port every 6 weeks.

What inconvenience?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

What inconvenience?

Gunk build up in the port itself. It takes 1.5 years minimum for it to become a problem with Micro-B on my old S4, Note 4, S6, Hauwei, or ZTE. Between 2 Galaxy S8s, my 950 XL, HD-500, and the two ports on my desktop, they're averaging about 6 weeks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 17/10/2017 at 6:03 PM, hey_yo_ said:

What is this? ? (darkfield technology)

Marketing words to say it works on surfaces like glass or really shiny magazines, because um... I guess people like cleaning fingerprints off glass desks?

On 17/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, Atra1n2 said:

Shaped a lot like the Logitech MX Master mouses, with many of the same features.

On 17/10/2017 at 7:54 PM, huilun02 said:

99% sure Logitech is the manufacturer and just licenses to MS

Horrible feet design. I'd rather just buy an MX Master

On 17/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, NumLock21 said:

Microsoft is called BlueTrack and it cannot track on glass. --SNIP--

Logitech Darkfield came in much later, they have to be different, so they went up a notch and made it also work on glass. --SNIP--

As someone who actively researches FCC ID's and ODM manufacturers, I'm 99.999% sure that Logitech is the ODM manufacturer for this particular Microsoft mouse because it has their Darkfield technology and looks almost identical to the MX Master S2 mouse, with some ... questionable? design changes.

It's the same as how ASUS sister company Pegatron still manufacturers about 60% of all iPads since the iPad mini 1 launched, and mass produced Apple's iPhone 5C. It's also mighty coincidental that the ASUS ZenBook became incredibly difficult to purchase because stock levels dropped mysteriously when Apple ramped up production of the MacBook Air a few years after initial release... almost as if Apple held Pegatron hostage, making them choose one or the other... Oh wait.

https://www.engadget.com/2012/02/13/apple-forcing-pegatron-to-stop-production-of-macbook-air-lookali/

But I digress as we're now way off topic; I bet you one (1) box of TimBits that the Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse is designed and/or manufactured by Logitech.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Gunk build up in the port itself. It takes 1.5 years minimum for it to become a problem with Micro-B on my old S4, Note 4, S6, Hauwei, or ZTE. Between 2 Galaxy S8s, my 950 XL, HD-500, and the two ports on my desktop, they're averaging about 6 weeks.

That is the first time I hear this... my port of my Lumia 950 XL is clean... and I am looking as we speak with a magnifying glass that I had next to me and my halogen desk lamp looking straight in it. I see minor particles of dust but just about as dirty as my USB 3.0 Type-A extension cable (old computer, USB 3.0 are on the back only of the motherboard), added an extension cord to have have on my desk for when I plug in a USB 3.0 Flash drive... monitor USB ports are 2.0)

I am not denying what you are saying... but I think you are more of a special case than anything, especially that the USB Type C is the same as Micro USB in term of port design. You have metal casing of similar size, and black bit at the center.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I am not denying what you are saying... but I think you are more of a special case than anything, especially that the USB Type C is the same as Micro USB in term of port design. You have metal casing of similar size, and black bit at the center.

Type-C is noticeably bigger.

And the experience I've had, every person I know that isn't tech illiterate has had. Not quite to the same extent, as I work construction and they don't, but they've come to me to either have me clean out the damned port for them or to tell them my secret on doing it (hint, canned air doesn't work).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

14 hours ago, kirashi said:

Marketing words to say it works on surfaces like glass or really shiny magazines, because um... I guess people like cleaning fingerprints off glass desks?

As someone who actively researches FCC ID's and ODM manufacturers, I'm 99.999% sure that Logitech is the ODM manufacturer for this particular Microsoft mouse because it has their Darkfield technology and looks almost identical to the MX Master S2 mouse, with some ... questionable? design changes.

It's the same as how ASUS sister company Pegatron still manufacturers about 60% of all iPads since the iPad mini 1 launched, and mass produced Apple's iPhone 5C. It's also mighty coincidental that the ASUS ZenBook became incredibly difficult to purchase because stock levels dropped mysteriously when Apple ramped up production of the MacBook Air a few years after initial release... almost as if Apple held Pegatron hostage, making them choose one or the other... Oh wait.

https://www.engadget.com/2012/02/13/apple-forcing-pegatron-to-stop-production-of-macbook-air-lookali/

But I digress as we're now way off topic; I bet you one (1) box of TimBits that the Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse is designed and/or manufactured by Logitech.

I don't care who designed that mouse. Some member said microsoft darkfield and that is wrong! Darkfield is by logitech.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Reminds me a lot of my MX Master (Which I love), depending on price this might be interesting.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

5 hours ago, snortingfrogs said:

Reminds me a lot of my MX Master (Which I love), depending on price this might be interesting.

Price is $99.99 USD

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

On 10/21/2017 at 9:58 AM, NumLock21 said:

I don't care who designed that mouse. Some member said microsoft darkfield and that is wrong! Darkfield is by logitech.

If Logitech's DarkField sensor happens to use dark-field spectroscopy, then it's hardly their term.

Though Microsoft calling it "Microsoft DarkField," whether it's the same sensor or something completely different, is quite stupid.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I would like to provide a big apology. The mistake is all mine. I got things confused.

It is:

- Microsoft BlueTrack Technology

- Logitech DarkField Technology

I am an idiot. I got confused from reading other articles, which probably one of them got confused and it confused me, or I miss read.

Both are similar technologies. Doesn't work the exact same way, but provide similar results.

Huge apology on my part.

Microsoft BlueTrack technology was introduced sometime in 2007.

Logitech DarkField technology was introduced sometime in 2009.

This new Surface Mouse uses Microsoft's very own BlueTrack technology.

Apologies again for the big mix up. :(

15 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

If Logitech's DarkField sensor happens to use dark-field spectroscopy, then it's hardly their term.

Though Microsoft calling it "Microsoft DarkField," whether it's the same sensor or something completely different, is quite stupid.

• Microsoft calls their's BlueTrack
  • Logitech calls their's DarkField
  • Bluetrack cannot track on glasss
  • Darkfield can and even on mirrors

I own both so I know

Here is darkfield

Ancient article when both technologies just came out.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/79310-microsoft-explorer-mouse-and-explorer-mini-mouse-review

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/82460-mouse-wars-bluetrack-vs-darkfield

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:
  • Microsoft calls their's BlueTrack
  • Logitech calls their's DarkField
  • Bluetrack cannot track on glasss
  • Darkfield can and even on mirrors

I own both so I know

Here is DarkField.

I do too, first good mouse I ever had was a SideWinder X8 and I used to use the original MX Anywhere with my laptop.

Point is the actual technology behind it.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:15 PM, hey_yo_ said:

This reminds me xD

I'm sure kids nowadays won't know this 

Oh come on, Dragonball isn't that old. I'm sure most 12 year olds know about it.