Optiplex GX520 - USB Windows 10 boot media install

ibenam

Hi All

I have had a batch of old computers come in and I am going to refresh them all with SSD's and basic GPU's.

I have created a USB boot media and tried to install Win 10 onto the GX520 and come accross a problem. The PC recognises the USB drive and starts the install to the point of the initial windows logo and then suddenly restarts e.g. before  it goes to the screen where i select language and other options.

I have done the USB drive boot procedure lots of times and it has never done this before.

The boot media isnt corrupt as I have tested it on another laptop. The PC also recoignises the SSD I have installed. I have tried disabling fast boot. I have also unpugged all other USB devices incl/ KB and mouse but I still get the restart.

Any idease - Thanks in advance!

If those Optiplexes have Pentium 4 CPUs, it's possible Windows 10 isn't supported, which would cause the installation to fail.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If those Optiplexes have Pentium 4 CPUs, it's possible Windows 10 isn't supported, which would cause the installation to fail.

Its a Pentium D which google says should run Win 10

It has a windows sticker on it which shows it previously had Win 7.

2 minutes ago, ibenam said:

Its a Pentium D which google says should run Win 10

You may have to mess with some BIOS settings.

I would try turning the NX option on or off and seeing if that changes anything. If you're able to make a CD installer rather than USB, that could also be worth doing. Some of these older PCs can be weird about installing operating systems from USB.

If there's a newer BIOS version available from Dell's website, you could try flashing that as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!