What is Cashe ICCMax

I found this weird setting in Intel XTU called cashe ICC max and I have absolutely no actual Idea what it does. Does anyone know? Should I say fuck it and set it to the max to see what happens?image.png.9d2ffa3fe4902689b2a86ea04f535095.png

"Weird" how, just because you don't know what it is..?

Learn first, test after acquiring the skills/information, not the other way around.

I'll give you a hint... ELECTRICITY, more isn't always better.

Spoiler

Please don't just go maxing out current limits... it's dumb and is there for a reason.

You didn't even mention specs or parts/cooling or anything..

Gaming would be a better use of your time.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

8 minutes ago, Christopher_829 said:

I found this weird setting in Intel XTU called cashe ICC max and I have absolutely no actual Idea what it does.

ICC generally refers to the current draw, MAX generally refers to a limit of some sort, and the cache is the, well, cache. So it's almost certainly the cache current limit. 

Granted, the cache on Intel CPUs AFAIK doesn't actually draw that much current, so raising that likely won't do anything for performance. It probably won't hurt, but I wouldn't bother. If you start running benchmarks and the system is reporting electrical design limits causing throttling, then consider it if you've already raised Core IccMax and power limits, but I wouldn't bother with it. 

15 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

"Weird" how, just because you don't know what it is..?

Learn first, test after acquiring the skills/information, not the other way around.

I'll give you a hint... ELECTRICITY, more isn't always better.

Reveal hidden contents

Please don't just go maxing out current limits... it's dumb and is there for a reason.

You didn't even mention specs or parts/cooling or anything..

Gaming would be a better use of your time.

No it's weird for XTU to have a setting the motherboard BIOS does not. I never said it was weird cause I do not know what it is. Obviously you should learn first which is why I asked before messing with it. Based on basic context clues yes obviously it's electricity but that's not really an answer. I was asking what it is or does which should give the same answer on every system so I have absolutely no idea why my specs actually matter for this.

If you must know I run a Gigabyte B460 ds3h ac-y1 10400f EVGA CLC 120MM 32gbs Ram 2727MHZ EVGA 1000 Watt PSU with 2Tb storeage

I actually did end up running tests for it and what I found is that effectively it makes no difference because when it is set to the default it does not draw that much anyway (at least in my machine). As a result allowing it to draw more if it wants to do so does not change anything because it's not drawing 160 to begin with.

Why do you even bother to respond when you weren't going to answer 😞

15 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

ICC generally refers to the current draw, MAX generally refers to a limit of some sort, and the cache is the, well, cache. So it's almost certainly the cache current limit. 

Granted, the cache on Intel CPUs AFAIK doesn't actually draw that much current, so raising that likely won't do anything for performance. It probably won't hurt, but I wouldn't bother. If you start running benchmarks and the system is reporting electrical design limits causing throttling, then consider it if you've already raised Core IccMax and power limits, but I wouldn't bother with it. 

Thanks for the Info Fr.

I ended up testing it and yeah you're 100% right it makes no actual difference.

13 hours ago, Christopher_829 said:

Obviously you should learn first

Why do you even bother to respond when you weren't going to answer 😞

I said in my post it's a current limit,.. try reading the whole thing next time.

That you should learn what things are before outright maxing them out. Which you now agree ^ but didn't think of this when making your joke seen below, it didn't even come across as a joke, but ill give you the benefit of the doubt.

You could have googled ICC MAX and found out in 10 seconds as well what it was.

I did answer, whether you felt attacked the way I did so or not isn't my concern, It's a valid response and clearly you should apply critical thinking and learn the basics at least before you just DO things.

On 5/17/2024 at 8:31 AM, Christopher_829 said:

Should I say fuck it and set it to the max to see what happens?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 5/18/2024 at 12:03 AM, SkilledRebuilds said:

I said in my post it's a current limit,.. try reading the whole thing next time.

That you should learn what things are before outright maxing them out. Which you now agree ^ but didn't think of this when making your joke seen below, it didn't even come across as a joke, but ill give you the benefit of the doubt.

You could have googled ICC MAX and found out in 10 seconds as well what it was.

I did answer, whether you felt attacked the way I did so or not isn't my concern, It's a valid response and clearly you should apply critical thinking and learn the basics at least before you just DO things.

No you did not say it's a current limit you said not to max a current limit those are not the same. Furthermore your claim that maxing out current limits is inherently bad is also wrong in certain cases or situations it could help performance. I have absolutely no idea how anyone would possibly think I felt attacked that's just weird.

I did look it up and continued to find a bunch of worthless results. Which is why I asked here which seems as far as I can tell is a perfectly valid thing to do. I don't see how you can criticize me for not learning what something was before changing it when learning what it was was exactly what I was doing. If I did not know what it was it would be reasonable to assume that it was possible for benefits to come to light by maxing it and in the same vain it's possible for it to make it worse which is why I asked if I should set it to the max.

You're literally criticizing me for asking a question with the purpose of learning something and also criticizing me for not learning before I act.

It makes no sense.

43 minutes ago, Christopher_829 said:

No you did not say it's a current limit you said not to max a current limit those are not the same.
I did look it up and continued to find a bunch of worthless results.
You're literally criticizing me for asking a question with the purpose of learning something.

I said it's a current limit by definition, can you not read between the lines and see it for what it is, google ICC MAX and you get the answer right away, as I did that and first result has the answer on reddit "What is Processor ICC MAX", which has a detailed explanation, the second result on another website explains it again, and the third...and so on,. but your little "Should I say fuck it and Max it out" was stupid logic to even joke about, tweaking for the sake of tweaking without knowing what it does is dumb, I basically said so. but you can't handle the criticism for that.  Get over it already.