Pronouns on profile

So in the modern day pronouns are massively important and got many of us make up a big part of our Identities.

As such I think it would be nice to have a pronoun field on our profiles 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Personally, I would say "Oh f*@k off with that shit"

It's a nickname, it doesn't have a sex or gender or identity ... you can call yourself Martian Joe and I won't care. Leave all that crap outside the forum.

I don't care how you identify or what your pronouns are when I answer to questions or reply to posts.

Just now, mariushm said:

It's a nickname, it doesn't have a sex or gender or identity ... you can call yourself Martian Joe and I won't care. Leave all that crap outside the forum.

I don't care how you identify or what your pronouns are when I answer to questions or reply to posts.

Agreed. I don't think it's really a requirement. Also, you can just... put them in your bio on the site. We don't need a specific box for them.

on one hand i do think its an important thing that should be shown on peoples profiles, at the same time you can just put in in your bio. if it would take any more than 10 mins to implement i dont think its worth it, considering 90% of people wouldnt use it

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 14TB combined HDD | macOS 14 Ventura, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 16.5 with Dopamine 2 + Trollstore 2

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

It's not a terrible idea, but I'm honestly not sure how much it would get used, and there is a trolling aspect to look out for as well(on the moderation side).

I will say the Biography section on the profile would be a decent place for pronouns to go if someone wanted to add them, and I would also point you towards the Signature box.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I’ve been going with the whole “unless I know for sure what pronouns someone prefers then I refer to them as they/them”. Seems the safest way to me?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

I’ve been going with the whole “unless I know for sure what pronouns someone prefers then I refer to them as they/them”. Seems the safest way to me?

^^

Even if it is implemented, out of sheer laziness I probably wouldn't check and go for the they/them method. That or just dropping an @ when referring to specific people, since it's pretty rare that you acually need to use them on here. 

You can set your gender on your profile. People will be able to know which pronouns to use based on the gender.

If you specifically want to display "he/him" you can use the Biography, About Me, Signature, or Member Title fields - depending on where and how you would like it displayed.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

IMO, i solid prefer not to, because;

- there's already a gender box to fill in

- for idiots like me (who i believe make up a not insignificant segment of the forum) it's just another box to put a joke in.

- while it could do good, it also appeals to the kind of person who gets angry when someone mistakenly uses the wrong pronouns, which isnt something i'd like to run into more often than i already do.

- as stated above.. the english language already has a way to handle the certain anonymity a forum provides: they/them.

- no one is gonna check a profile before addressing someone.. so the whole exercise is essentially irrelevant.

if you prefer certain pronouns to be used, the signature could be a place to put this, or the custom member title.. perhaps i would want to be addressed as 'keeper of the magical rowenta space heater' every time someone @'s me on the forum... and yet no one ever does 😕

34 minutes ago, mariushm said:

^^^

pronouns are just asking for the forum to turn into a political hellhole and id rather have this forum not deal with politics or stuff like that just a neutral place where i dont have to think about any of that

besides im pretty sure the amount of normies well outnumbers the queers or whomever would actually use pronouns seriously, and even the queers ive seen on this forum are actually nice and not trying to start a political war so id rather keep it that way

then theres gonna be the idiot (me) thats gonna put funny text like am/kaming and trolls that will probably start trolling ppl with it for example nick/gurr

I refer to poster as OP most of the time,

as for pronouns, I know this may sound less empathetic, but I don't really understand the deal with those, or why would someone get angry or upset over a pronoun,

I mean let's be real, nobody is trying to offend anyone by stating their assumed pronouns, it's a completely different assumption than when you call someone by a harsh word or a slur,

personally, I base my other people's pronunciation based off of information I have on hand, so if someone has certain gender vibes I use that gender's pronouns, and if I'm ever wrong, that person is free to correct me, but my attempt to use pronouns wasn't an attack or some kind of insult, I'm just simply trying to use means of communication that offer a clear message,

as much as they/them sound flexible, it also sounds clunky, cold and formal... the traditional pronouns sound more flexible when used, the flow of reading/writing a text that uses generic pronouns instead of universal ones really feels different, not that I have anything against the use of they/them pronouns, it's really just the phonic expression of they/them that makes it feel weird, the words have 2 syllables while he/she has just one syllable

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

As an LGBT person myself I do not believe pronouns are important to have on a tech forum. On a site open to more general discussion, their advantage could absolutely be argued, but I do not see how they would be useful or beneficial here.

It's a good thing we don't have them, otherwise people like me would be continuously setting "bruh/brur" until the mods get fed up and lay down a ban.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

@GOTSpectrum, if this feature was already a part of the site, i'd be all for people using it, just doesn't seem worth taking the time of an employee to add this in.

3 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

will most CERTAINLY have a slur broken into 2 parts

was kidding about this too haha, but other people would not be😂

Being from country where gender specific pronouns are not a thing, I have never understood why this is such big deal. I refer everyone here as they, regardless of if they have stated their gender or not.

We have only two pronouns for individuals. "Hän" for people and "se" for animals/objects.

On forums, if you think how often you are in situation where you are referring someone as 3rd person, it's not very often. Most discussions are between two and you are using "you".

I think we have enough places to post this information if you feel like it. But imo this might cause extra issues as there are those who will not respect others enough to be nice, and those who feel entitled to take any mistake or mispeaking as intentional attack.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I feel it's important to respect everyone and their rights, but at the same time that doesn't mean we all are going to agree on these subjects. People have different personal definitions for different genders (based on self appointed gender, based on legal recognition, based on looks albeit artificial, based on the natural looks one would have had without medical intervention, based on chromosomes, based on gender at birth, etc.). People have the right to have strong beliefs either way on the subject.

Tolerance and intolerance also work both ways, both by being nice to those who accept certain genders and sexual orientations as normal and ok as well as by being nice to those who respectfully don't. Therefore, my opinion is that on a tech info forum it would be best to not include such a feature. Even if we were all respectful and tolerant of such a feature and other people's gender preferences, I feel it would be respectful to those of us who just want to ask tech questions to just not include such a feature.

Personally I think I've already said too much about the subject and hope and pray that I didn't fuel a fire with this post and that this is the last time I talk about this subject on a tech forum. 

-= Locked and Cleaned =-

Opinions are welcome, condescension is not.

The question has been answered no need to carry on.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER